Poll: Who wins?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
CAL
81.25%
Bell County
18.75%
* You voted for this item.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bell County vs CAL (3A STATE CHAMPIONSHIP) 12/2-2PM
Bell Co's defense is the glaring issue in this game and probably the biggest reason for some of the running clock predictions. Slowing the game down is definitely the key for the Bobcats along with creating some turnovers. How the running game plays out for Bell Co will be interesting especially with Thomas' statistics.

CAL this year against opponents with the most credible running backs or running offenses.

Won 28-14 Owensboro (0 TDs, 1 fumble, RB Winstead 17/57, QB Delacey 8/90).
*note: First game of the season and Owensboro improved by years end. Team leader in rushing, Hampton, didn't have any carries.

Lost 12-14 Lexington Christian (2 TDs, 0 fumbles, RB Hensley 28/131, QB Boley 8/14)

Won 54-36 DuPont Manual (0 TDs, 1 fumble, RBs 10/1, QB Creech 3/-16)
*note: #1 & #2 RBs Traynor and Washburn didn't play

Won 13-6 Central (0 TDs, 0 fumbles, RB Stone 13/47, QB Smith10/-12)

Won 52-13 Central (2 TDs, 2 fumbles, RB Stone 11/38, RB Brents 4/65)

CAL's defense keeping Hensley and Stone well under their season averages is very impressive. Can Thomas find more success?

Prediction:
I'm expecting a 24-29 margin in favor of CAL with the possibility of a running clock if Bell Co resorts to throwing the ball.
CAL 41-14 (Bell Co goes 1/2 on 2 pt. conversions)
(11-30-2023, 09:31 AM)Glory_Days Wrote: I think it's very reasonable to compare the 2 RBs

D. Thomas 361/3682 (10.20 per attempt) 53 TDs.    32.8% (1209 yds) of his season total came against Bell Co's bottom 5 opponents.
B. Hensley 235/2408 (10.24 per attempt) 43 TDs.    20.5% (493 yds) of his season total came against LCA's bottom 5 opponents.

Career
D. Thomas
2022 208/2228 (10.71 per attempt) 29 TDs.
2021 120/778  (6.48 per attempt) 11 TDs.
2020 47/320  (6.81 per attempt) 1 TD.

B. Hensley
2022 196/1470 (7.50 per attempt) 16 TDs.   *missed 4 games to injury
2021 225/1804  (8.02 per attempt) 31 TDs.
2020 no attempts.

I'll give Mr. Hensley the edge this year for slightly better statistics compared against a tougher schedule.
*Note: He also saw tougher competition in prior seasons while playing for 6A Madison Central.

The overall body of work goes to Mr. Thomas. While he gets more touches in the system Bell Co plays, defenses are also keying on him and loading the box.

National records are very impressive no matter the situation and the reason I feel Daniel Thomas should be Mr. KY football 2023. It's much like the year Cory Robinson won it when he threw for a national record 91 TDs in 2007.
I think the number 1 reason the trophy is Thomas’s and not close, is the offensive difference. How many teams loaded the box on LCA with cutter and those receivers? Whereas every team but 1 played zero safeties 9 man boxes on bell. A lot easier to find a hole when the QB behind you can open up the field, compared to only throwing 70 times in 14 games with a sophomore qb and only one receiver on the field 90 percent of the time. You put thomas on the field at LCA, he runs for 5000 just because he’s not required to run over 9 guys just to get 8 yards like in the wishbone. 

When you watch bell when they did go spread sometimes of the year like the few times against hart/east carter and for sure in regular season, he probably averages over 20 yards a carry. He’s an open field ball carrier in a tight wishbone power I system.

Put hensley in the wishbone, he probably gets 2000 for dudley but he has a lot less room to move.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Gridiron_Raid's post:
  • jax
I think I alluded to this in my post.

You obviously haven't watched Hensley enough if you don't think he'd do the same as Thomas with the same number of touches against the Bell Co opponents.

As for Thomas, your mountain bias has gone berserk if you think he would get 5000 yards in the LCA offensive scheme. Yes, he would benefit from the balanced attack, but his touches would be limited just like Hensley's. All against much tougher competition. It's laughable to state he would average 21.3 yards per carry against that schedule. Come on man!

I'd expect the statistics to look almost the same if they swapped teams. It's a credit to both of them. To say it's not close shows more bias, because it is close. The national record puts Thomas in exclusive company. Outperform Hensley's game against CAL on Saturday (see stats in earlier post) should sway the voters too.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Glory_Days's post:
  • rookie57
(11-30-2023, 02:44 PM)Glory_Days Wrote: I think I alluded to this in my post.

You obviously haven't watched Hensley enough if you don't think he'd do the same as Thomas with the same number of touches against the Bell Co opponents.

As for Thomas, your mountain bias has gone berserk if you think he would get 5000 yards in the LCA offensive scheme. Yes, he would benefit from the balanced attack, but his touches would be limited just like Hensley's. All against much tougher competition. It's laughable to state he would average 21.3 yards per carry against that schedule. Come on man!

I'd expect the statistics to look almost the same if they swapped teams. It's a credit to both of them. To say it's not close shows more bias, because it is close. The national record puts Thomas in exclusive company. Outperform Hensley's game against CAL on Saturday (see stats in earlier post) should sway the voters too.
I saw where another poster said Thomas never comes off the field for Bell County and 3rd on the team in tackles. According to KHSAA, Hensley has 1 tackle on the year. I don’t think this is talked about nearly enough when comparing players. I mean heck, to run for 3,000 yards is one thing, but to do it while playing every snap on defense is something else. To me, it’s a no brainer.
[-] The following 4 users Like 14thRegionLifer's post:
  • BobcatForever, Granny Bear, jax, Waitaminute
Laughable!
(11-30-2023, 03:20 PM)14thRegionLifer Wrote:

I saw where another poster said Thomas never comes off the field for Bell County and 3rd on the team in tackles. According to KHSAA, Hensley has 1 tackle on the year. I don’t think this is talked about nearly enough when comparing players. I mean heck, to run for 3,000 yards is one thing, but to do it while playing every snap on defense is something else. To me, it’s a no brainer.

Valid point, playing defense is more taxing especially if playing linebacker. Ask a player that ever played both RB and LB. They've all told me LB wore them out and they delivered punishment while running the ball. Secondary requires the conditioning but not as much physical toil.

A difference of opinion I guess because I also think It’s not that close and to say it is actually shows your bias. Which one broke multiple state records including a 50+ yr old record?
Also the competition comment doesn’t hold water because it completely ignores the fact of the types of defenses Thomas had to run against and how much Hensley benefits from being on an all star team with top notch lineman and one of the top QBs in the nation.
Now here is the icing on the cake, LCA was supposedly the better team when Mayfield took them to the woodshed. Mr Football doesn’t play on the better team and get bumped from the playoffs. Mr Football puts his team on his back and carries them to the state finals… one guy has done that and for me that is the final point that ends the discussion.

None of this is to slight Hensley as he is a stud and has had an incredible run, it’s just unfortunate for his Mr football hopes that Daniel Thomas had a more incredible run, best in state history in fact.
[-] The following 1 user Likes fansville's post:
  • BobcatForever
I've been as non-biased as humanly possible while adding statistics and reason. Good lordy, seems you're not even reading my post. I acknowledge and account for everything you posted about with good debate except for the title game appearance. That is a good point and should be a factor when the role is so heavy such as Thomas. To be honest though, in those cases they mostly only credit champions and not the runners-up so winning it would be awesome. Doesn't make it right but history has shown it time and time again. On the flip side can you fault Hensley for Boley's 3 interceptions, the center's bad snap, or the WR's fumble? I was there, Hensley was a warrior in that game doing all he could do to put them on his back. Ironically, he did the worst damage when he taunted the Mayfield crowd and I love that it fired up the intensity. As for the woodshed comment, apparently you didn't watch the game and only looked at the score. The game was evenly played except for the turnovers being 5-0 in favor of Mayfield. Yes, I was rooting for Mayfield and despise the hand-picked private school.

Worst part of your reply to me is you must be completely ignoring the fact that I've made it clear (on more than one post) that I FEEL MR. DANIEL THOMAS SHOULD BE MR. KENTUCKY FOOTBALL 2023.
I would take Thomas over Hensley any day of the week. Hensley is a front runner.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Waitaminute's post:
  • BobcatForever
(11-30-2023, 06:33 PM)Glory_Days Wrote: I've been as non-biased as humanly possible while adding statistics and reason. Good lordy, seems you're not even reading my post. I acknowledge and account for everything you posted about with good debate except for the title game appearance. That is a good point and should be a factor when the role is so heavy such as Thomas. To be honest though, in those cases they mostly only credit champions and not the runners-up so winning it would be awesome. Doesn't make it right but history has shown it time and time again. On the flip side can you fault Hensley for Boley's 3 interceptions, the center's bad snap, or the WR's fumble? I was there, Hensley was a warrior in that game doing all he could do to put them on his back. Ironically, he did the worst damage when he taunted the Mayfield crowd and I love that it fired up the intensity. As for the woodshed comment, apparently you didn't watch the game and only looked at the score. The game was evenly played except for the turnovers being 5-0 in favor of Mayfield. Yes, I was rooting for Mayfield and despise the hand-picked private school.

Worst part of your reply to me is you must be completely ignoring the fact that I've made it clear (on more than one post) that I FEEL MR. DANIEL THOMAS SHOULD BE MR. KENTUCKY FOOTBALL 2023.
I was just hit the reply to you because of the mountain bias comment. My comments as a whole were just my thoughts more than they were a reply to you. I think to consider anyone other than Thomas is bias at this point. I say this because Hensley hasn’t done anything on the field that Thomas hasn’t done better. Also I think the continued “competition” comment is garbage, compare the average margin of victory and it would appear relative to their teams that Hensley had far more comfortable playing conditions. It’s nothing personal so please don’t take it that way, it’s just my option and we know what those are like.
[-] The following 3 users Like fansville's post:
  • BobcatForever, Glory_Days, Granny Bear
(11-30-2023, 07:55 PM)fansville Wrote:
(11-30-2023, 06:33 PM)Glory_Days Wrote: I've been as non-biased as humanly possible while adding statistics and reason. Good lordy, seems you're not even reading my post. I acknowledge and account for everything you posted about with good debate except for the title game appearance. That is a good point and should be a factor when the role is so heavy such as Thomas. To be honest though, in those cases they mostly only credit champions and not the runners-up so winning it would be awesome. Doesn't make it right but history has shown it time and time again. On the flip side can you fault Hensley for Boley's 3 interceptions, the center's bad snap, or the WR's fumble? I was there, Hensley was a warrior in that game doing all he could do to put them on his back. Ironically, he did the worst damage when he taunted the Mayfield crowd and I love that it fired up the intensity. As for the woodshed comment, apparently you didn't watch the game and only looked at the score. The game was evenly played except for the turnovers being 5-0 in favor of Mayfield. Yes, I was rooting for Mayfield and despise the hand-picked private school.

I was just hit the reply to you because of the mountain bias comment. My comments as a whole were just my thoughts more than they were a reply to you. I think to consider anyone other than Thomas is bias at this point. I say this because Hensley hasn’t done anything on the field that Thomas hasn’t done better. Also I think the continued “competition” comment is garbage, compare the average margin of victory and it would appear relative to their teams that Hensley had far more comfortable playing conditions. It’s nothing personal so please don’t take it that way, it’s just my option and we know what those are like. Well Said!!
Well Said!!
(11-30-2023, 01:24 PM)Cafe Mocha Wrote:
(11-30-2023, 09:31 AM)Glory_Days Wrote: I think it's very reasonable to compare the 2 RBs

D. Thomas 361/3682 (10.20 per attempt) 53 TDs.    32.8% (1209 yds) of his season total came against Bell Co's bottom 5 opponents.
B. Hensley 235/2408 (10.24 per attempt) 43 TDs.    20.5% (493 yds) of his season total came against LCA's bottom 5 opponents.

Career
D. Thomas
2022 208/2228 (10.71 per attempt) 29 TDs.
2021 120/778  (6.48 per attempt) 11 TDs.
2020 47/320  (6.81 per attempt) 1 TD.

B. Hensley
2022 196/1470 (7.50 per attempt) 16 TDs.   *missed 4 games to injury
2021 225/1804  (8.02 per attempt) 31 TDs.
2020 no attempts.

I'll give Mr. Hensley the edge this year for slightly better statistics compared against a tougher schedule.
*Note: He also saw tougher competition in prior seasons while playing for 6A Madison Central.

The overall body of work goes to Mr. Thomas. While he gets more touches in the system Bell Co plays, defenses are also keying on him and loading the box.

National records are very impressive no matter the situation and the reason I feel Daniel Thomas should be Mr. KY football 2023. It's much like the year Cory Robinson won it when he threw for a national record 91 TDs in 2007.
Like you said, Hensley has played in 6A. Saw and put up great numbers vs other tough 6A schools. This year’s competition is nothing to compare. And the ungodly numbers he put up against BG, CAL, Boyle, Lex Cath, Pikeville and Maysville who all by the way we’re all in the state semis or finals… is out of this world. KY Mr. Football should be Hensley.
What a is Maysville in ?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Advicegiver74's post:
  • rookie57
Smile Maybe Mason County deconsolidated and Maysville turned back the clock to 1990. 

He has lots to say about Lexington schools so maybe he's so mad he can't correctly type it. I'll help M-a-y-f-i-e-l-d. The little ol' redneck town (as the LCA coach called them) that sent home the hand-picked private school two years in a row.
(11-30-2023, 02:26 AM)rookie57 Wrote: CAL, running clock. I watched the bell co bs hart county game on film, if number 4 for bell county is the Thomas guy, well , let’s just say in my opinion he’s not not near the back Hensley for LCA is, sorry if that offends anyone.

You've been around birdbrain55 too long.
[-] The following 1 user Likes pjdoug's post:
  • BobcatForever
Daniel Thomas read this and go turn in a performance of a lifetime.
  • Bull got out!
Come on pj, if that warrior needs a bunch of old farts to motivate him, they're already done.  Wink 
If you think it will boost his performance, please read it to him until Saturday's kickoff. I'd love to see the upset!
(11-30-2023, 10:50 PM)pjdoug Wrote: Daniel Thomas read this and go turn in a  performance of a lifetime.
“And IS GOING to turn in a performance of a lifetime”… Man I hope he read this and hope he does play well, cause they will be playing from behind. Also how is their passing game? Cause if they’re down by 2-3 tds, they’re coming to have to air it out LOL!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Cafe Mocha's post:
  • The 99
(11-30-2023, 08:28 AM)Granny Bear Wrote:
(11-30-2023, 02:26 AM)rookie57 Wrote: CAL, running clock. I watched the bell co bs hart county game on film, if number 4 for bell county is the Thomas guy, well , let’s just say in my opinion he’s not not near the back Hensley for LCA is, sorry if that offends anyone.

I'm not offended in the least; however, how many NATIONAL records does Hensley hold?
Records against week teams means nothing

Lmao, looks like I kicked the hornets nest. Was not my intention, but dAyum! Hensley is waaay better.
[-] The following 2 users Like rookie57's post:
  • BobcatForever, Cafe Mocha
When I read posts that say, "Team X can win the game if they can pound the ball on the ground, control the clock and limit Team Z's possessions" I read it as code for, "Team Z is vastly superior and will put a running clock on Team X unless they fumble 5 times." I don't think CAL fumbles 5 times and wins 42-12.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Walt Longmire's post:
  • rookie57
The fact that Bell County managed to scratch and claw their way into the state championship is very impressive. Daniel Thomas is one of the best football players in the state and deserves this stage, but I don't think the Bobcats have the horses to stay with CAL in this one. I think Cole Hodge puts up big numbers and makes his case for Mr Football.

CAL wins, 38-14.
(11-30-2023, 10:58 PM)Glory_Days Wrote: Come on pj, if that warrior needs a bunch of old farts to motivate him, they're already done.  Wink 
If you think it will boost his performance, please read it to him until Saturday's kickoff. I'd love to see the upset!

I know the young man has it in him to find another gear when you think he is at top speed.
(12-01-2023, 01:00 AM)rookie57 Wrote:
(11-30-2023, 08:28 AM)Granny Bear Wrote:

I'm not offended in the least; however, how many NATIONAL records does Hensley hold?
Records against week teams means nothing

Lmao, looks like I kicked the hornets nest. Was not my intention, but dAyum! Hensley is waaay better.
Woah

Not Being Biased I'll Take Thomas any day!!

pjdoug

You've been around birdbrain55 too long.

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
[-] The following 1 user Likes BobcatForever's post:
  • pjdoug
Thomas is the best back in the state period it’s not even close. The kid is just on another level than most players. He never gets tired never slows down he is the energizer bunny. The best thing is he does this against every team they play with the box stacked not to mention he plays linebacker on defense and never comes off the field yet deep in the 4th quarter he just gets better. Go shock the state and bring back a title to the mountains and district 7! If it can’t be the Rock might as well be Thomas can’t make myself say the county name but I’ll pull for Thomas he is the real deal! Now go bring it back!
(12-01-2023, 01:27 PM)SmashMouth17 Wrote: Thomas is the best back in the state period it’s not even close. The kid is just on another level than most players. He never gets tired never slows down he is the energizer bunny. The best thing is he does this against every team they play with the box stacked not to mention he plays linebacker on defense and never comes off the field yet deep in the 4th quarter he just gets better. Go shock the state and bring back a title to the mountains and district 7! If it can’t be the Rock might as well be Thomas can’t make myself say the county name but I’ll pull for Thomas he is the real deal! Now go bring it back!
LMBO!!  Big Grin Big Grin

Every game this year but one, the defense opposite of bell has had 9 plus guys in the box. Getting 10.2 with that is crazy. Now if he plays in a system with better lineman, a 4star qb and elite receiver, and defenses have 5 or 6 man boxes, the room to run is enormous. Like brendan Anthony for pikeville. Just watched him be able to get in space and break tackles rather than get hit in the backfield. Give thomas the crazy spacing that LCA has and yes he could have 5000. He about to get 4000 while getting hit at the line of scrimmage most plays. 

I’ve watched 3 LCA games early in the year. Touches wise, hensley would’ve had 100 plus more carries if they didn’t play in the worst district ever. In the non running clock games, he had over 25 in each game. Sometimes 30 plus. Yes the usage is less, but that’s because they played shawnee, fort knox, web dubois. Thomas at LCA would have 300 plus carries, 4000 plus yards, and most likely still be playing this week. Hensley at bell would have 300 plus carries, and 3000 or more yards and also playing this week. 

I have mountain bias over some regions of the state. Not lex and Louisville. The mountains rains supreme over most areas of the state, like the cave region. Not over Lex.
North Laurel was the only good defensive team they played so most of those teams could put 11 in the box and not stop anyone.
(12-01-2023, 05:27 PM)Gridiron_Raid Wrote:

Every game this year but one, the defense opposite of bell has had 9 plus guys in the box. Getting 10.2 with that is crazy. Now if he plays in a system with better lineman, a 4star qb and elite receiver, and defenses have 5 or 6 man boxes, the room to run is enormous. Like brendan Anthony for pikeville. Just watched him be able to get in space and break tackles rather than get hit in the backfield. Give thomas the crazy spacing that LCA has and yes he could have 5000. He about to get 4000 while getting hit at the line of scrimmage most plays. 

I’ve watched 3 LCA games early in the year. Touches wise, hensley would’ve had 100 plus more carries if they didn’t play in the worst district ever. In the non running clock games, he had over 25 in each game. Sometimes 30 plus. Yes the usage is less, but that’s because they played shawnee, fort knox, web dubois. Thomas at LCA would have 300 plus carries, 4000 plus yards, and most likely still be playing this week. Hensley at bell would have 300 plus carries, and 3000 or more yards and also playing this week. 

I have mountain bias over some regions of the state. Not lex and Louisville. The mountains rains supreme over most areas of the state, like the cave region. Not over Lex.
Most don't realize that Bell Co. gets everyone's best shot whether it is east carter Knox Co ,Pineville or whoever they play so Like Coach Hilton says regardless of what people says their are 12 teams left in the state to play for a championship and we are 1 of them and by the end of tomorrow only 6 teams will end season with a victory and That is the bottom line if they like it or not we are one of the top 12 teams Let's go Bobcats!!
[-] The following 1 user Likes BobcatForever's post:
  • pjdoug
(12-01-2023, 01:27 PM)SmashMouth17 Wrote: Thomas is the best back in the state period it’s not even close. The kid is just on another level than most players. He never gets tired never slows down he is the energizer bunny. The best thing is he does this against every team they play with the box stacked not to mention he plays linebacker on defense and never comes off the field yet deep in the 4th quarter he just gets better. Go shock the state and bring back a title to the mountains and district 7! If it can’t be the Rock might as well be Thomas can’t make myself say the county name but I’ll pull for Thomas he is the real deal! Now go bring it back!

That is true. He gets better in the 4th quarter.
  • BobcatForever

Go Bobcats!
I hope we see a remake of Rocky 4 tomorrow. Good luck Bobcats ! Bell County’s 4th title game lead by number 4 . Coach Hilton needs his 4th Ring!