Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Paintsville's Shane Grimm
JackRabbitSlim Wrote:Good post I agree, and I was wrong I meant to type Georgetwon earlier instead of Cumberland. I had a temporary brain lapse. You are right though. It is not really that D1 schools have better players it's just depth. The starter for a good NAIA school and a D1 school are not that different, unless were talking about Rice or Oregon State.

I knew what you meant, and I knew that you knew what you meant.Big Grin

People around here just have a stigma about what D1 really means. They think that it is the same for baseball as it is for football and basketball. It's not the same animal, unless like you said your talking about the Rices' and the Oregons of the world..
Mr.Kimball Wrote:I knew what you meant, and I knew that you knew what you meant.Big Grin

haha!Smile Thanks for the confidence booster!
all good arguments on this post but the facts as they stand as of today are that the walters state coaching staff are sending someone to look at corey adams and shane grimm.....this is an outstanding juco program...no this is an outstanding college baseball program for those of you whom don't seem to understand that juco is just as good of a choice as d1... this school is a top 5 juco program in the country over the last 10 years..... they only consider serious baseball players and the majority of their players are either drafted or move into starting roles at places like tenn...miss state....lsu ....south carolina and georgia...so I say congrats to grimmy and corey for being considered for their team espeically if they are sending someone to look at them in the middle of their college season,,,, good luck boy's
INSIGHT Wrote:all good arguments on this post but the facts as they stand as of today are that the walters state coaching staff are sending someone to look at corey adams and shane grimm.....this is an outstanding juco program...no this is an outstanding college baseball program for those of you whom don't seem to understand that juco is just as good of a choice as d1... this school is a top 5 juco program in the country over the last 10 years..... they only consider serious baseball players and the majority of their players are either drafted or move into starting roles at places like tenn...miss state....lsu ....south carolina and georgia...so I say congrats to grimmy and corey for being considered for their team espeically if they are sending someone to look at them in the middle of their college season,,,, good luck boy's

How could you get this information? Don't get me wrong that is a great accomplishment, but Corey has a lot of work to do to get to that level. Grimm has a shot no doubt, but I am not sure on Corey yet. Typically he would be too small for a top 5 JUCO program, especially as a catcher.

FYI no one said Walter's State wasn't a good program, they were just stating that a NAIA school may be better because it is a 4 year program. JUCO would be difficult if he went there and didn't live up to expectations.
Walters State is the premeir JUCO program in the country, which in most cases is better than D1. When guys leave there they get paid to play. I was at the Perfect Game tournament in Atlanta year before last, which is also the premier ametuer tournament in the country. Practicly every college and professional scout in the country was there to watch these players. Sometimes, 30 to 40 radar guns on just one pitcher. Standing right beside and speaking to a Walters State coach, they were snubbing and culling what many of the big time schools were drooling over. Not meaning to sound cruel, but Grimm is nowhere close to being Walters State quality. Nice to see that someone is getting him a look see however. Grimm is a very good pitcher, but a reality check needs to be put in place here. John Bevins aka Gump can tell you what they are all about. The Gumper was a 90+ lefty out of high school. Grimm works high 70's to low 80's and hits the mid 80's. Huge difference. You just have to see where these guys stand when you see what is really out there in the world that they recruit from and listen to them diasect a player. It's a whole nother level, and you dont see it around here. They recruit from all over the United States and Latin America.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:Walters State is the premeir JUCO program in the country, which in most cases is better than D1. When guys leave there they get paid to play. I was at the Perfect Game tournament in Atlanta year before last, which is also the premier ametuer tournament in the country. Practicly every college and professional scout in the country was there to watch these players. Sometimes, 30 to 40 radar guns on just one pitcher. Standing right beside and speaking to a Walters State coach, they were snubbing and culling what many of the big time schools were drooling over. Not meaning to sound cruel, but Grimm is nowhere close to being Walters State quality. Nice to see that someone is getting him a look see however. Grimm is a very good pitcher, but a reality check needs to be put in place here. John Bevins aka Gump can tell you what they are all about. The Gumper was a 90+ lefty out of high school. Grimm works high 70's to low 80's and hits the mid 80's. Huge difference. You just have to see where these guys stand when you see what is really out there in the world that they recruit from and listen to them diasect a player. It's a whole nother level, and you dont see it around here. They recruit from all over the United States and Latin America.

I know "Gump" very well and he is the one that got Grimm looks. I speak with Mr. Bevins on a regular basis and he is very knowledgeable of the game...he said that Grimm is good enough to get to Walters State so I have no doubt in his evaluation of this young man. However, I was just reporting what "Gump" told me this afternoon....whatever comes of this, I wish nothing but the best to the players of the 15th region.
IRISH4 Wrote:I know "Gump" very well and he is the one that got Grimm looks. I speak with Mr. Bevins on a regular basis and he is very knowledgeable of the game...he said that Grimm is good enough to get to Walters State so I have no doubt in his evaluation of this young man. However, I was just reporting what "Gump" told me this afternoon....whatever comes of this, I wish nothing but the best to the players of the 15th region.
I know you talk to the Gumper daily. I dont daily, but still quite often. I too wish Grimmy all the best and hope he gets to play somewhere , where he gets the chance to play and not go somewhere where every body else thinks he should go to play. I just know what the Walters State coaches told me while watching what was considered some of the finest pitchers in the United States. The average lefty was working well in the upper 80's and 90's. These were the elite, of the elite and they were still very critical of some of them. That's what I was going by. You should have seen the type pitcher they were snubbing to understand why I said what I said.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:I know you talk to the Gumper daily. I dont daily, but still quite often. I too wish Grimmy all the best and hope he gets to play somewhere , where he gets the chance to play and not go somewhere where every body else thinks he should go to play. I just know what the Walters State coaches told me while watching what was considered some of the finest pitchers in the United States. The average lefty was working well in the upper 80's and 90's. These were the elite, of the elite and they were still very critical of some of them. That's what I was going by. You should have seen the type pitcher they were snubbing to understand why I said what I said.

Definately....Walters State wants the best to come there and they will settle for nothing less. They do love their left-handed pitching and I think with some work Grimm could easily touch 90. Pikeville College has a lefty that threw there this year named Jordan Compton and his E.R.A. is around 1.00 right now in the MSC. They are very critical of who they pick because they want a championship year in and year out, I just want Grimm to choose what makes him happy. Like I said though, JUCO may be the best route for him or even a top-ranked NAIA program like University of the Cumberlands.
IRISH4 Wrote:Definately....Walters State wants the best to come there and they will settle for nothing less. They do love their left-handed pitching and I think with some work Grimm could easily touch 90. Pikeville College has a lefty that threw there this year named Jordan Compton and his E.R.A. is around 1.00 right now in the MSC. They are very critical of who they pick because they want a championship year in and year out, I just want Grimm to choose what makes him happy. Like I said though, JUCO may be the best route for him or even a top-ranked NAIA program like University of the Cumberlands.

Compton may be the best pitcher in the Mid South.

Well anyways, best of luck to Shane. Keep workin hard and good things will come. I am sure that UC would love to have Shane.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:Univ. of the Cumberlands, Union, Cumberland U., Tennessee Wesleyan, and Lee University would be right in the mix for an OVC championship. Most seasons you can add Campbellsville. Last season the Mid South doormat, West Virginia Tech, not only beat Marshall but threw a no-hitter at their starters. Lindsey Wilson beat Morehead by an ungoodly score of something like 25-2. A very mediocre Georgetown team also beat both Morehead and EKU last season as well.

Ask Matt Fyffe what Georgetown did to him and EKU last week. Kind of a humbling experience , I would say. He and every other "D1" pitcher they threw at Georgetown was ponded and pounded hard, and then Cumberland rolls over Georgetown 4 straight games this weekend like they were a middle school team. Say what you want Eastern played their starters and they could not hit very mediocre and sometimes sub standard Georgetown pitching.

The big difference is depth, not so much the quality of the starting lineups. Even in these matchups , the D1 programs still start their every day position starters. Dont take too lightly the caliber of the pitchers that the D1's throw in these games either. Remember all these guys were recruited as a player that was deemed to be in someones eyes as "D1" quality. The lack of available scholarship money in all divisions is what makes baseball a lot more balanced and equitable between the divisions. And dont think for a second that the NAIA's are throwing their confernence starters either for that matter , because they are all right in the middle of their conference seasons as well, and they sure as heck aint gonna burn their starters on a mid week game either. So tell me what the difference is. Conference wins are way too important.

As far as DII, a lot of these schools regularly go back and forth between being either affiliated with the NCAA or the NAIA. They are basicly the same in many aspects. It is based on the school enrollment size in what determines what is defined as a D1 school and a DII school, not in the quality of athlete that they attract.
I'm not saying it doesn't happen. It's baseball. A few good swings here and there will win you a game. I was simply suggesting that on a day in day out basis the D-1 teams would win the majority of the games. The simple fact of the mattter is the D-1 schools are just overall more talented baseball teams and if they weren't they wouldn't be in the D-1 classification. For the most part aren't the NAIA schools put at the first of the D-1 teams schedule? So more than likely they are in their non-conference schedule too.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:Univ. of the Cumberlands, Union, Cumberland U., Tennessee Wesleyan, and Lee University would be right in the mix for an OVC championship. Most seasons you can add Campbellsville. Last season the Mid South doormat, West Virginia Tech, not only beat Marshall but threw a no-hitter at their starters. Lindsey Wilson beat Morehead by an ungoodly score of something like 25-2. A very mediocre Georgetown team also beat both Morehead and EKU last season as well.

Ask Matt Fyffe what Georgetown did to him and EKU last week. Kind of a humbling experience , I would say. He and every other "D1" pitcher they threw at Georgetown was ponded and pounded hard, and then Cumberland rolls over Georgetown 4 straight games this weekend like they were a middle school team. Say what you want Eastern played their starters and they could not hit very mediocre and sometimes sub standard Georgetown pitching.

The big difference is depth, not so much the quality of the starting lineups. Even in these matchups , the D1 programs still start their every day position starters. Dont take too lightly the caliber of the pitchers that the D1's throw in these games either. Remember all these guys were recruited as a player that was deemed to be in someones eyes as "D1" quality. The lack of available scholarship money in all divisions is what makes baseball a lot more balanced and equitable between the divisions. And dont think for a second that the NAIA's are throwing their confernence starters either for that matter , because they are all right in the middle of their conference seasons as well, and they sure as heck aint gonna burn their starters on a mid week game either. So tell me what the difference is. Conference wins are way too important.

As far as DII, a lot of these schools regularly go back and forth between being either affiliated with the NCAA or the NAIA. They are basicly the same in many aspects. It is based on the school enrollment size in what determines what is defined as a D1 school and a DII school, not in the quality of athlete that they attract.
I'm not saying it doesn't happen. It's baseball. A few good swings here and there will win you a game. I was simply suggesting that on a day in day out basis the D-1 teams would win the majority of the games. The simple fact of the mattter is the D-1 schools are just overall more talented baseball teams and if they weren't they wouldn't be in the D-1 classification. What you are saying is if a select few NAIA schools were thrown in with Marshall, Western Kentucky, EKU, Morehead, and Murray State they would be on the top of this list. Heck it may happen, I doubt it but you must know something I don't. For the most part aren't the NAIA schools put at the first of the D-1 teams schedule? So more than likely they are in their non-conference schedule too.
IRISH4 Wrote:Definately....Walters State wants the best to come there and they will settle for nothing less. They do love their left-handed pitching and I think with some work Grimm could easily touch 90. Pikeville College has a lefty that threw there this year named Jordan Compton and his E.R.A. is around 1.00 right now in the MSC. They are very critical of who they pick because they want a championship year in and year out, I just want Grimm to choose what makes him happy. Like I said though, JUCO may be the best route for him or even a top-ranked NAIA program like University of the Cumberlands.

Jordan also got drafted before he went there, and then he had Tommy John's surgery. Grimm won't get drafted and that's not a fair comparison.
The Joker Wrote:I'm not saying it doesn't happen. It's baseball. A few good swings here and there will win you a game. I was simply suggesting that on a day in day out basis the D-1 teams would win the majority of the games. The simple fact of the mattter is the D-1 schools are just overall more talented baseball teams and if they weren't they wouldn't be in the D-1 classification. What you are saying is if a select few NAIA schools were thrown in with Marshall, Western Kentucky, EKU, Morehead, and Murray State they would be on the top of this list. Heck it may happen, I doubt it but you must know something I don't. For the most part aren't the NAIA schools put at the first of the D-1 teams schedule? So more than likely they are in their non-conference schedule too.
You dont know where any would rank until you play the game, that's all just speculation, but I think they would be more than competetive. Again we are talking selective schools, not the whole organization. On a regular basis Cumberland U.(Tenn) may rank only behind Vandy , Walters State, and UT in the state of Tennessee. This year, Lee University is the top team. Seeing that Tennesse is heavy with OVC teams.........

Georgetown played EKU 2 weeks ago, and then had their second game rained out last week and I think has Morehead this week. Morehead played Lindsey and Georgetown last season right in the middle of the conference schedule. Morehead played KIAC Alice Lloyd just last week. Univ. of the Cumberlands plays Belmont tommorrow.

Again there is no question that your typical D1 school is deeper. Just that what we compare to around this area is primarily the OVC. Marshall is in conference USA, no way they would compete in that conference. Western is in the Sun Belt, again no way. Not trying to imply that any would be at the forefront on any conference. Maybe I came across that way, but I dont think they would be doormats in say the OVC by any means either.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:You dont know where any would rank until you play the game, but they would be more than competetive. Again we are talking selective schools, not the whole organization. On a regular basis Cumberland U.(Tenn) may rank only behind Vandy , Walters State, and UT in the state of Tennessee. This year, Lee University is the power. Seeing that Tennesse is heavy with OVC teams.........

Georgetown played EKU 2 weeks ago, and then had their second game rained out last week and I think has Morehead this week. Morehead played Lindsey and Georgetown last season right in the middle of the conference schedule. Morehead played KIAC Alice Lloyd just last week. Univ. of the Cumberlands plays Belmont tommorrow.

Again there is no question that your typical D1 school is deeper. Just that what we compare to around this area is primarily the OVC. Marshall is in conference USA, no way they would compete in that conference. Western is in the Sun Belt, again no way. Not trying to imply myself that any would be at the forefront on any conference. Maybe I came across that way, but I dont think they would be doormats by any means either.

I agree they will definetly compete. What shocked me about Alice Loyd v. Morehead game was that Morehead let Alice Loyd play with them. Alice Loyd, with the exception of maybe Berea, is the worst NAIA school in the state, and Morehead did not beat them very badly at all. I guess Morehead is down this year with the new coach, but I am proud of Alice Loyd for making it a game.
Let's get back on the topic of this thread which is Shane Grimm. Not NAIA schools are as the best schools in college baseball:Thumbs:

Who is in contact with Grimm right now?
The Joker Wrote:Let's get back on the topic of this thread which is Shane Grimm. Not NAIA schools are as the best schools in college baseball:Thumbs:

Again ..the only contact is walters state...this is a solid fact not speculation

again walters state will be looking at a couple of players from Paintsville within the next couple of weeks.......Grimm being one of them.......
JackRabbitSlim Wrote:How could you get this information? Don't get me wrong that is a great accomplishment, but Corey has a lot of work to do to get to that level. Grimm has a shot no doubt, but I am not sure on Corey yet. Typically he would be too small for a top 5 JUCO program, especially as a catcher.

FYI no one said Walter's State wasn't a good program, they were just stating that a NAIA school may be better because it is a 4 year program. JUCO would be difficult if he went there and didn't live up to expectations.

I have direct knowledge ....and I agree adams has a lot of work to do ....however Gump...is one of his summer baseball coaches and since he has played for walters state I value his opinion and he thinks the kid has what it takes to play there and therefore got the whole thing set up for the coaches to take a look...
The Joker Wrote:Let's get back on the topic of this thread which is Shane Grimm. Not NAIA schools are as the best schools in college baseball:Thumbs:

Nobody insinuated that by any means, but they are certainly not the worst by any means either.
The Joker Wrote:I heard Grimm was gonna end up at St. Catherine or maybe Pikeville.

Didn't know if anyone knew this or not, but this is the last year that St. Catharines will be a JUCO school. Starting next year, they will be a 4 year program and be a member of the Mid South Conference. St. Catharines was also the last JUCO left in Kentucky.
Kimball maybe you could help me out. Who are some of the better JUCO schools? I know of St. Catherine and Walters State. Is there one in Illinois?
INSIGHT Wrote:I have direct knowledge ....and I agree adams has a lot of work to do ....however Gump...is one of his summer baseball coaches and since he has played for walters state I value his opinion and he thinks the kid has what it takes to play there and therefore got the whole thing set up for the coaches to take a look...

So you have talked to Walter's State yourself? That would be the only "direct knowledge" you could be talking about.
The Joker Wrote:Kimball maybe you could help me out. Who are some of the better JUCO schools? I know of St. Catherine and Walters State. Is there one in Illinois?

Illinois has a bunch of JUCO schools. I'll bet in Illinois you have maybe 30-40 junior colleges throughout the state. Three that come to mind quickly are Oney State, John A. Logan, and Lincoln Trails.They are geographicly located very close together just north of Evansville.

There are a bunch in Tennessee as well such as Cleveland State, Hiwassee,Roane Stae, Columbia, Volunteer State, and a whole bunch of others.

There are a bunch in Northern Ohio too.

Potomac State in West Virginia is a funnel school for WVU.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:I know you talk to the Gumper daily. I dont daily, but still quite often. I too wish Grimmy all the best and hope he gets to play somewhere , where he gets the chance to play and not go somewhere where every body else thinks he should go to play. I just know what the Walters State coaches told me while watching what was considered some of the finest pitchers in the United States. The average lefty was working well in the upper 80's and 90's. These were the elite, of the elite and they were still very critical of some of them. That's what I was going by. You should have seen the type pitcher they were snubbing to understand why I said what I said.

It is easy to down play kids you aren't going to get.
EKYINNKY Wrote:It is easy to down play kids you aren't going to get.

What makes you think that the #1 JUCO program in the country is not going to be able to get a kid whose sole desire is to be drafted after one year of college. Rolleyes

You apparently are not familiar with how the draft works. The very good JUCO programs are able to get kids that a lot of the very best 4 years colleges would never have the first shot at.
How many pitches does Grimm throw?