Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Russell's field rebuilding pictures
I hope they don't screw this up like the last time they put bermuda on the field. Finally got rid of the hump. About 100 years overdue on that.
I havent seen anyone over there doing anything with it, and there's some weeds growing. Are they supposed to be doing anything at this time or are they waiting for it to grow in more? Looked like a new sprinkler system was put in. May have always been there and I didn't notice.
i saw it about 3 days ago it looked good
I posted this on another site but I will put it on here too, I went and saw the field on Thurs. and it looked really good. I must have went over just a short time after they had cut it but other than a few places that looked life there was no grass yet it looked really good and with the hump in the middle of the field cut down it looked even better.
Field is steadily improving...Should be GREAT with another month of growth before the first home game...Here are some pics I took today...
devil58 Wrote:Field is steadily improving...Should be GREAT with another month of growth before the first home game...Here are some pics I took today...
When did they start work on the new field?
DaBears Wrote:When did they start work on the new field?
They started at the end of May once school was out.
UGH! We gotta way to go! Hopefully this rain will help.

[Image: http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e213/k.../field.jpg]
FBALL Wrote:They started at the end of May once school was out.

:Thumbs:
Mama Bear Wrote:UGH! We gotta way to go! Hopefully this rain will help.

[Image: http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e213/k.../field.jpg]

It does look to bad.
Mama Bear, you know they are putting in new goal posts too.
DaBears Wrote:Mama Bear, you know they are putting in new goal posts too.

No I didn't! :letsparty
Russell's field looks fantastic by the way! Big Grin
Mama Bear Wrote:No I didn't! :letsparty

WooHoo!!! I knew something Mama Bear didnt know.:p
Looks really good,like someone mention before when the field gets painted it will look fantastic. I take my hat off to Russell great work on the field.
This field already looks 100% better when I was up there during baseball season it didn't look very good.
Looks Great!
The new surface looks fantastic! I've always been a fan of the bermuda.
It appears to be doing very well!
Does the field look wavy to anyone else?
Looks 100% better, but look at Harlan's, then Russell's. Looks wavy to me.
EkyLb Wrote:Does the field look wavy to anyone else?
Looks 100% better, but look at Harlan's, then Russell's. Looks wavy to me.

Russell's field looks thicker, but Harlan County's looks like it had been recently mowed.

That could be the difference your noticing.
Very nice. Russell is very deserving of great facilities such as this one.
Russells field looks much better because Harlan Co.'s has crab grass in it. Sad They had to go back and spray all of the crab grass. I think Russell's is an example of what it is supposed to look like. I'd say your kids will be excited to go play on that field. Very Nice!
It could be the angle of the pictures and Russell's field does need mowed...The grass level is uneven right now because grass grows unevenly...I will try to get some more pics once they mow it again...Are there some high or low spots?? Could be but there are some of those on practically every field with the possible exception of turf fields...The amazing thing for those of us who have been around awhile is that the "hump" is gone...

There is some grass growing on the Russell's field other than the bermuda as well...You cannot avoid that...There are seeds from other grasses in the soil that survive even if you kill the grass prior to "starting over" by reseeding or sprigging (trust me, I know from personal experience)...There is practically no way to avoid this unless you bring in new sod and totally redo the field...After awhile the bermuda chokes out most other grasses but somehow something always pops up...Maintaining a PURE yard or field is practically impossible even when you stay on top of it...BTW, Harlan's field looks fine...

Russell's field is vastly improved with the removal of the "hump" and will get better as the bermuda lawn matures but it won't be as good this year as it should be in the years to come...My hope is that they keep someone involved with the upkeep of the field that knows how to maintain bermuda...

Hopefully this new bermuda will last until I win the lottery and pay for a turf field...Lord knows that's the only way we will ever have one...Big Grin
Hurry up and win 58!!!!!!!
Dave Chastine is taking care of the field. he takes care of the country clubs golf course and he is the only one who can take care of it. he made that clear when he started the project. No one touches it except him and his crew.
Romans 14:11
It is written: " 'As surely as I live,' says the Lord, 'every knee will bow before me; every tongue will confess to God.' "
DEVILOLOGIST Wrote:Hurry up and win 58!!!!!!!
Dave Chastine is taking care of the field. he takes care of the country clubs golf course and he is the only one who can take care of it. he made that clear when he started the project. No one touches it except him and his crew.

Hopefully we can get started after this evening's drawing!! Big Grin :champ:
I remember when Whitesburg High School first installed the bermuda, man it looked awesome.
Keep me in your thoughts.. I dont want much .. just a new Field house at the High School. I was thinking about building it beside the reserved seat stands on the East side of the bleachers. It would start there and overtake the current field house location. Along the East end of the field would be a 2 story building running parallell to the endzone with reserved indoor seating and coaches offices, with state of the art film room.
OH and while I am at it a DOME !!!!!!!!!
Yea well why not right..... It could be the large inflatable dome like down by Mason Co on the AA....
Well we can dream.
Romans 14:11
It is written: " 'As surely as I live,' says the Lord, 'every knee will bow before me; every tongue will confess to God.' "
DEVILOLOGIST Wrote:Hurry up and win 58!!!!!!!

Dave has overseen the field and is maintaining it until the first home game. After that he is turning the field over to a select few that are going to keep it cut and watered. Dave is going to continue to be a consultant but there is a group that is going to take care of the maintenance. I was told that there are no school employees going to touch the field. A group of parent and coaches will handle everything.
Looking great, been a long time coming.