Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Belfry 48 - Pikeville 7
Who else wanted the job when this coach was hired?
there was a long list and probably could have been longer if they had looked around. they had just gotten out of a bad hire with the last head coach and turned around and took the guy helping him
HA!!! Really, I would think many people would want to coach at PVILLE. That was my point. Surely experienced head coaches applied?
i guess its a mute point they will have watch and learn
by the crowd tonight, not many are watching.
dont worry it will get worse then all you will hear is next year as usual. pitiful
When was the last time Pikeville really competed with Belfry, During the Hillard Howard era?
Let Jared Tackett QB. He runs it like no other. Vince Young in training.
Nah two seasons ago was a heck of a game, but Pikeville isn't Pikeville. I mean Belfry dominated and honestly wasn't even forced to give great effort. Here is to hoping the Panthers can get things turned around, I hate seeing them struggle like this.
Coach haywood is a class guy. I would say hecould have scored 70 if he wanted to. Good things happen to good people. He is blessed with lots of talent
Congrats to the Pirates.
sportsman Wrote:no surprise. pikeville does the same old up the middle stuff. it doesn't work but they keep doing it. nothing different easy to defend. the program is in for a long dry spell in the future with this coaching mentality.

What do you call up the middle? In between tackles? In between guards? right up the centers but? Explain a little more in detail.
About what I expected! Congrats Pirates!!!
usually up the middle is between tackles
Two things really bothered me in this game...

1. The officiating crew (or lack thereof)...Pikeville ligned up offsides all night and only got one flag...
2. Belfry's mental errors.....

Score would have been more than this if we hadn't fumbled on the 5yd. line and if Haywood wanted to open it up. Im glad to have a classy coach....unlike other schools that will score at will against Betsy Layne...and run up the score. Just remember Pikeville...it could have been you tonight!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Wow, I called Belfry by 35...but they pulled it off by 41.

The state of Pikeville football is truly worrying right now.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
allseasonfan Wrote:When was the last time Pikeville really competed with Belfry, During the Hillard Howard era?

2007 Belfry 49-7
2006 Belfry 24-20
2005 Belfry 36-13
2004 Belfry 30-0
2003 Belfry 28-6
2002 Belfry 20-13
2001 Belfry 21-0
2000 Pikeville 31-14

2002 and 2006 were both very close games. I would classify that as competing.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
allseasonfan Wrote:They will have to beat paintsville to be 5 and 5, right?

So when is the game between the 2 Pvilles? From what i have heard about the pikeville coach, he is just as cocky as some others that i know. Wanting to make a name for himself instead of helping the team. Acting more like a player out for revenge instead of a mature adult Coach!!!
UK Wildcat Wrote:So when is the game between the 2 Pvilles? From what i have heard about the pikeville coach, he is just as cocky as some others that i know. Wanting to make a name for himself instead of helping the team. Acting more like a player out for revenge instead of a mature adult Coach!!!

October 24th.

When was the last time Pikeville had a losing season?

From the looks of the schedule, Pikeville may finish 4-6.

If something doesn't change, here is my outlook for the rest of the season:

Oct 10 South Floyd vs. Pikeville - Win
Oct 17 Prestonsburg vs. Pikeville - Loss
Oct 24 Paintsville vs. Pikeville - Loss
Oct 31 Phelps vs. Pikeville - Win
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Congrats Pirates!!!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
KENTUCKY WILDCATS
Congrats to the Pirates.
bucslover68 Wrote:According to his mother, both legs or knees are banged up...He may could have played, but no need to risk it. I hate it though cause he is one tough RB and i love watching him play.

I had heard he wouldn't play this game due to injury. TBH I'd have probably gone to watch it had he played.

No trash talking. Pikeville is simply playing one of the best teams in their class, 2 classes above Pikeville. No shame in losing a game like this.
Let me ask a question. A lot of you have been very outspoken about Copley not being able to do the job thus far with this team. Who would you think could have done a better job winning the games this team has lost? Frankley I don't think Bear Bryant could have helped this team. Corbin is the only team that this team had a shot at beating and they are 6-0 on the season (2-A team). Ashland,5A, is 4-2. Lex Cath 4-A is 3-3, and Belfry,3-A is 5-0 so far and will probably be undefeated on the season. Whoever made this schedule for this year's team set them up to fail. Pikeville is so traditionally rich in winning, it's a hard pill to swallow when you lose. I don't think hiring a new coach after a couple years is the answer. Bottom line is this is not the 80's when every good player in Pike Co was beating down the door to get to go to school there and win a state championship. You have to play within your class or only one class above you to be successfull. You don't have the horses this year to compete on a higher level than class A period. Look, i'm not downing the program by any means, just trying to point out that Hillard Howard is gone and you have to move on and not compare every coach you hire to him or his programs he had there. Give Copley a little time or your program will be like Paintsville's which has had 5 coaches in the last 6 or 7 years. Good luck to you, be patient and win the rest of the games this season.
kyrifle Wrote:Let me ask a question. A lot of you have been very outspoken about Copley not being able to do the job thus far with this team. Who would you think could have done a better job winning the games this team has lost? Frankley I don't think Bear Bryant could have helped this team. Corbin is the only team that this team had a shot at beating and they are 6-0 on the season (2-A team). Ashland,5A, is 4-2. Lex Cath 4-A is 3-3, and Belfry,3-A is 5-0 so far and will probably be undefeated on the season. Whoever made this schedule for this year's team set them up to fail. Pikeville is so traditionally rich in winning, it's a hard pill to swallow when you lose. I don't think hiring a new coach after a couple years is the answer. Bottom line is this is not the 80's when every good player in Pike Co was beating down the door to get to go to school there and win a state championship. You have to play within your class or only one class above you to be successfull. You don't have the horses this year to compete on a higher level than class A period. Look, i'm not downing the program by any means, just trying to point out that Hillard Howard is gone and you have to move on and not compare every coach you hire to him or his programs he had there. Give Copley a little time or your program will be like Paintsville's which has had 5 coaches in the last 6 or 7 years. Good luck to you, be patient and win the rest of the games this season.

Maybe the most realistic post I have seen in a while. There are no more glory days anytime soon for Pikeville. Build with what you have and try to be a contender in Class A. Pikeville just needs to get healthy and cut down on the mistakes and they could be a factor this year in this part of the state. The bad thing is that Hazard and Raceland are out there as well.
Sometimes coaching isn't everything. If you are a good teacher in the classroom and a so so coach, or a so so teacher and a good coach you will usually keep your job. If you are neither one, you are probably going to get the axe. Don't be surprised if there isn't an entire new coaching staff next year at Pikeville.
sacbunt Wrote:Sometimes coaching isn't everything. If you are a good teacher in the classroom and a so so coach, or a so so teacher and a good coach you will usually keep your job. If you are neither one, you are probably going to get the axe. Don't be surprised if there isn't an entire new coaching staff next year at Pikeville.

Which would be even more detremental to the program. You must have stability.
Pikeville is a Class A school striving to play with the big schools and can't. You simply don't have the talent to compete. You ran the last coach out, who was as hard-working, dedicated and enthusiastic as they come. He was guilty of playing a murderous schedule, trying to get better. Now you want to run this coach and his staff out? If it's all about wins, then play a little more forgiving schedule. Get behind whoever the coach is and support him and the team. As long as you keep forcing a change in coaches very couple of years it won't get any better. As for Belfry, they are definitely on a roll. Ceam of the 3A crop.
stripminer Wrote:Copley needs to go back to Lawrence Co. and take the belly offense with him. The worst play calling I've ever seen in watching 30 years of Pikeville football.

:Thumbs:
stripminer Wrote:New coaching staff!!!!! The natives are starting to get restless.

:Thumbs:
sportsman Wrote:maybe we should be questioning the higher ups then for a bad choice

:Thumbs: Two in a row.