Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why is Basketball favored over Football in the Mountains?
What I gather from these posts is that in most areas BBall is the preferred sport due to the influence of UK, better weather in the gym, and the thinking that a star is easier to spot in shorts than covered with muddy pads.

So here is my parting shot for why BBall players should tell their coaches and parents "thanks but no thanks" when they say "You just don't need to play football!"

1. Football conditioning programs add muscle and quickness. Top bball players in college are strong. Jamall Mashburn bench pressed 400 lbs at UK.
2. Aggressive play is the only kind that wins games at the higher levels. Players who are content to loft up 3's instead of driving to the hoop and keeping others from the same are never standouts.
3. Team Culture: Good football programs foster a family atmosphere where no one players is the star. The best running back is useless without a line and most everyone in football knows that. BBall tends to make superstars that everyone else must feed the ball to and stay out of his way. Nothing wrong with that if it wins - but why miss out on the only sport that puts 22 bodies in harms way on every play?

Just a few thoughts from the peanut gallery here in KC after years of seeing players forgo a great sport to shoot jump shots then never go to college to do it. They will never know what could have been.
Good athletes should be allowed to play as many sports as they want to. Basketball coaches should not talk players into not playing football due to fear of injury nor do football coaches need to prod their players into not playing basketball and baseball to stay in the weight room. Like I have said before, most college athletes, especially the successful ones, played multiple sports. I think coaches get to caught up in theirselves and their success and they fear if another program at their school is successful, it will take the limelight away from them. I commend the small amount of schools in Eastern Kentucky who try to be successful in every sport, both boys and girls, revenue and non-revenue instead of focusing on just one. At Letcher County Central, all the girls basketball players either play volleyball, soccer or run cross-country in the fall. After basketball is over, most of the same girls play softball, tennis, or run track. This is a 5A school so they are not necessarily dependent on the same athletes for every sport. I feel like some coaches, especially in boy's sports, allow their ego's to override common sense.
OrangenowBlue Wrote:Good athletes should be allowed to play as many sports as they want to. Basketball coaches should not talk players into not playing football due to fear of injury nor do football coaches need to prod their players into not playing basketball and baseball to stay in the weight room. Like I have said before, most college athletes, especially the successful ones, played multiple sports. I think coaches get to caught up in theirselves and their success and they fear if another program at their school is successful, it will take the limelight away from them. I commend the small amount of schools in Eastern Kentucky who try to be successful in every sport, both boys and girls, revenue and non-revenue instead of focusing on just one. At Letcher County Central, all the girls basketball players either play volleyball, soccer or run cross-country in the fall. After basketball is over, most of the same girls play softball, tennis, or run track. This is a 5A school so they are not necessarily dependent on the same athletes for every sport. I feel like some coaches, especially in boy's sports, allow their ego's to override common sense.
Well said.
Football all the way
but to make a point football is a younger sport than basketball but is gaining ground look at the exposure of the college game and the nfl dont think kids dont see that football is gaining on basketball in popularity not just in ky but everywhere
OrangenowBlue Wrote:Then why are these players not playing basketball. Is someone telling them not to. Corbin is traditionally a football school that is competitive in all sports. Why can't a larger Bell County school do the same thing.

DH son play's bball and baseball.Last year I think 7 of 9 starters for the baseball team were football players also. Under Coach Whitaker Bell Co. was dis. champs for about 10 years in a row and contenders for 13th region title. One reason for the down swing IMO in bball is the wins that the football program put's up. In a place where young people has little to look forward to (no jobs ,drugs,and other things) DH and his staft have gave these young men hope. The boy's that play get some kind of respect that they may not get anywhere else,not even at home.The kids make their own minds up. I would like to see the 13th win every state title in each sport, but to make a kid play a sport they do not want to play would be as bad as telling them they can not play one.
Maid of the Mts. Wrote:You made the statement that it rarely happens, go to bell Co. where many great players only play football. I think that the football team could beat the basketball team,this is not a put-down of the basketball team but only to say how much the football players work during the off season. Even the kids that do play basketball still does their workout after basketball practice. I maybe wrong but come to the 13th where it is almot become even. Pineville,Middlesboro,Bell,Harlan,Harlan City,Lynn camp,Whitley,Knox and Corbin-Football
Clay,Barbourville(no football program),South and North Laurel,Jackson,Redbird(nfp),OBI(nfp),-Basketball
I would like to here from someone in Williamsburg to clse to call in my opinion. Now some of these schools may also be more toward being both.
Now to address the reson of people at basketball and not football,weather. When going to football game you must be ready for all weather, basketball has the same weather each game you go to.

I thought as good as football is in Bell Co, there would be a great wrestling tradition started soon in that county. Have they ever thought about it?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Everything else doesn't matter![/COLOR]
We like basketball at Belfry but football is king that is
the way it is down here.
cougarpride08 Wrote:I thought as good as football is in Bell Co, there would be a great wrestling tradition started soon in that county. Have they ever thought about it?

I think a few is already in a wrestling program. one or two takes on hogs in their dads pen's on weekends down on the farm.LOL No wrestling as I know of.
MayfieldCardinal Wrote:Lets face it everybody loves a winner and that generally has come more in bball than football.
How do figure? Mountain Schools have had alot more success on the gridiron in the last 20 years than on the hardwood. Since 1987 only 2 schools have won B-ball state titles-Richie Farmer led Clay County in 1987 and Paintsville in '96. Now look at football during that same time frame. Pikeville, Breathitt County, Belfry, and Bell County have combined to win 10 state titles during that time. Not to mention teams like Prestonsburg, Hazard, and Corbin making it to the state title game. No mountain team has appeared in the state final B-ball game since 1998 when Paintsville lost to Scott County I think it was. Just look at last years 6 state finals games in football. 3 of the 6 games had mountain schools playing in them with Bell winning the 4a state title. So now which sport do you think mountain schools have had more success in?
HAIL PIKEVILLE! Wrote:How do figure? Mountain Schools have had alot more success on the gridiron in the last 20 years than on the hardwood. Since 1987 only 2 schools have won B-ball state titles-Richie Farmer led Clay County in 1987 and Paintsville in '96. Now look at football during that same time frame. Pikeville, Breathitt County, Belfry, and Bell County have combined to win 10 state titles during that time. Not to mention teams like Prestonsburg, Hazard, and Corbin making it to the state title game. No mountain team has appeared in the state final B-ball game since 1998 when Paintsville lost to Scott County I think it was. Just look at last years 6 state finals games in football. 3 of the 6 games had mountain schools playing in them with Bell winning the 4a state title. So now which sport do you think mountain schools have had more success in?

I agree that more state champions have come from football lately but think about this for a minute. You are comparing two different sports. One in which they are divided into six(used to be four) classifications and one that everybody plays each other for a state title(Cordia could be playing Louisville Male). There is the ALL A classic that gives smaller teams a chance for a taste of glory. The chances of a mountain team are not going to be as good in basketball because there is no classification. It is what makes Kentucky's Sweet Sixteen special. It is the only one like it left in the nation. This is the reason many of the schools in the mountains who have won state titles in basketball have achieved legendary status. It is usually a smaller school that has won a tournament comprised of schools mostly twice their size. It isn't going to happened near as often but when it does, they can truly say they were the best in the state of Kentucky for that year, not the best in their class. Shelby Valley and Elliott County were some of the better teams in the state last year and they are both small schools. Both sports are special in this state and if you are a true sports fan you will like, enjoy, and support all sports,both boys and girls. It means as much for a kid to win a Cross-Country or Soccer championship as it does for a football or basketball player. I know with the ADHD generation, there are many that can only focus on one thing, but lets quit trying to pit one sport against another and support them all.
OrangenowBlue Wrote:I agree that more state champions have come from football lately but think about this for a minute. You are comparing two different sports. One in which they are divided into six(used to be four) classifications and one that everybody plays each other for a state title(Cordia could be playing Louisville Male). There is the ALL A classic that gives smaller teams a chance for a taste of glory. The chances of a mountain team are not going to be as good in basketball because there is no classification. It is what makes Kentucky's Sweet Sixteen special. It is the only one like it left in the nation. This is the reason many of the schools in the mountains who have won state titles in basketball have achieved legendary status. It is usually a smaller school that has won a tournament comprised of schools mostly twice their size. It isn't going to happened near as often but when it does, they can truly say they were the best in the state of Kentucky for that year, not the best in their class. Shelby Valley and Elliott County were some of the better teams in the state last year and they are both small schools. Both sports are special in this state and if you are a true sports fan you will like, enjoy, and support all sports,both boys and girls. It means as much for a kid to win a Cross-Country or Soccer championship as it does for a football or basketball player. I know with the ADHD generation, there are many that can only focus on one thing, but lets quit trying to pit one sport against another and support them all.

Very good post! :Thumbs:
I think it just depends on how strong your programs are in each sport.
Well most people in mountians will say that basketball is King because it was King in the early yrs '50's-60's ever barn had ball goals on them and kids spent hrs shooting and nothing else to do,but Now the Football stadiums are filled kids are out throwing footballs and Gyms are empty,Most the time its the expense is more in football,but I know in Breathitt Co. most every game the stadium is full and The gym is not nearly filled,and folks around here always talk about Football yr round where it use to be basketball talk,our local newspaper Jackson Times has one of the best sports pages in it and i would say when football season starts the sell goes way up,but really Breathitt Co. is a young program and has 3 state Championships so we have lots to be proud of when it comes to Football and now basketball its was the main stay in history to talk about with many older folks here most played and now i see them they say i wished they would have had Football when they were in school we could have been good way back then,another thing is here in 14th region in basketball they have been very few D-1 players ever none in many yrs,in Football they are several players around like this year Channing Fugate intent to play at Tenneessee Vol.,thats like playing basketball for U K,so Football is alive and well here in Breathitt Co. and i do think Football is King NOW it might change but i doubt it will for sometime.Go Bobcats...