Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Elisha Justice commits to Louisville
Congrats Elisha. Already so many people proud of you.
Hope you have a great Senior year without injuries and a great career at Lville. I'll be suporting you!!!
Congratulations Elisha!
Guess i'll be routing for the Cards! :flame:
Congrats EJ. Nice move. It's good to see mountain kids go to a school of that caliber. Sorry to say though, I won't be watching you play, unless you get to play in the UL/UK game. I hope your team loses every agme :biggrin:

J/K You can win every game but one in the regular season.
bigman77 Wrote:Congratulations Elisha!
Guess i'll be routing for the Cards! :flame:
It takes a lot more than this.
Here is the media release from Shelby Valley today Wireman is reporting from another website.

Shelby Valley's Elisha Justice has told Louisville head coach Rick Pitino that he is committing to the Cardinals.

Shelby Valley head coach Jason Booher says Justice made this decision based upon a number things. One major thing is the history that Coach Pitino has with developing preferred walk-ons. A few to name is Will Scott, Cameron Mills, Anthony Epps, Chris Smith (brother of NBA player J.R. Smith), and Alhaji Mohammad (who is currently playing professional overseas). He has developed many of his walk-ons into great players and some have later earned full scholarships. They have also played significant roles in Final Four and national championship runs.

Another major factor is Justice's future goal of going into college coaching. The opportunity at Louisville would allow him to play under a Hall of Fame coach that has a history of developing great coaches.

He looks foward to playing for Coach Pitino and the University of Louisville.
Wow... he is gonna surprise the **** out of people when he gets there and plays... He isn't like most other walkons who are outmatched athletically. He will hold his own.
Nothing but the best wishes for Justice! Here's hoping he can earn a scholarship with his play after one year. I'll even go so far as to say I hope he puts up 30 against UK (as long as UK still wins by 30 Big Grin)
I'm so glad Elisha chose to stay in-state.

I thought I read somewhere that Elisha would be on scholarship after his 1st season...anyone know?
This is awesome.
Walk-on, full ride...who cares.
Its a great thing for Elisha...couldnt be more happy for him
Congratulations...Represent The Mountains Well...!!!!
Good luck
I was told from a very reliable source that Pitino may have a scholly for Elisha available in a few months, he's not sure yet. But for a guy wanting to coach, then, he is going where he needs to, that would look good on his resume, played under Pitino, graduate assistant under Pitino. Real proud of you Elisha.
Congrats to Justice. He seemed happy in the interview on WYMT. Getting to play in a major conference, the NCAA tourny and for a great coach. Louisville has always been my 2nd favorite team and I will watch them more and tell my kids that just because they are from the 15th region doesn't mean that they can't go to a big program. Best of luck (starting next year).
The Iceboxx Wrote:This is awesome.
Walk-on, full ride...who cares.
Its a great thing for Elisha...couldnt be more happy for him
Just like I said when Landon got to walkon at UK, as long as the kid is playing at a place he loves and wants to play, a scholarship means nothing. EJ can afford to go to UL as a walkon, or he wouldn't be going. Scholarship or walkon really shouldn't even be named in this thread, he is getting to play where he wants to play. Though I hope he does get a scholarship later, just to lighten the load on his parents . Walkon or not, he will see plenty of playing time, he appears to have a work ethic of another recent walkon I watched play for several years.
This is awesome
Best player in the Sweet 16 last year in my opinion. For those of you that know him...tell him to stay out of Porcini's.
HD28 Wrote:Best player in the Sweet 16 last year in my opinion. For those of you that know him...tell him to stay out of Porcini's.

:eyeroll:
I think Elisha was looking at the big picture when he chose Louisville. Yes, playing time is what everyone wants and I feel he will earn his share. Louisville's style of press defense and zone in the halfcourt makes him a perfect fit.

Elisha has stated that his dream is to be a college coach. Where could he have gotten a better offer? Look at Billy the Kid, Travis Ford and John Pelphrey as examples of players becoming coaches.

I hope that this is also an example for others in Eastern Ky. to work in the classroom and gym to create an opportunity for themselves as well.
you must not know big E very good. there is no one in the country that works harder and wants to win and gives 100% than this young man.i think pitino thinks he has a diamond in the rough.i believe he will be surprised to see that Elisha is already a jewel.
From Louisville C-J:

Shelby Valley senior Elisha Justice, one of the frontrunners for Kentucky Mr. Basketball honors this season, has committed to the University of Louisville.

The 5-foot-11 Justice had scholarship offers from Eastern Kentucky and Jacksonville but will walk-on to Louisville beginning next fall.

Shelby Valley coach Jason Booher said Justice's decision was based on a number of things, including "the history that coach (Rick) Pitino has with development preferred walk-ons" and that Justice is thinking about going into college coaching.

"This would allow him to play under a Hall of Fame coach that has a history of developing great coaches as well," Booher said. "He looks forward to playing for coach Pitino and the University of Louisville."

U of L and Justice have been talking for a few weeks. Pitino and assistant coaches Ralph Willard and Steve Masiello went to Pikeville to watch Justice play on Wednesday.

Justice was named MVP of the All "A" Classic as a junior when he helped Shelby Valley to the small school state title and then guided the Wildcats into the Sweet 16 after winning the 15th Region Tournament for the third time in five years.

Justice averaged 17.1 points and 3.4 rebounds and also led his team in assists (164) and steals (116). He already has 414 career steals and is likely to break the state record for career steals next season. The mark is 499 set from the 1992-95 seasons by former Wayne County player William Shearer.
Congrats...And a smart thing to do...he can withdraw a verbal if a better offer comes along....this should help get his name out there even more....If Pitino has seen D1 talent in him then this should really open the doors ....What happened to ARK. or Florida?
I just hope that when he walks onto the gym floor for the first time, with all of the big time recruits, that he isn't in awe & flat out takes it to them. The kid can flat out play the game and this is a great opportunity for him.

I don't know Elisha at all, but I've seen him play since middle school and I don't think I've ever seen a better pure PG. And I've seen a lot of great ones from many different states. Can't wait to watch him this year.
This is very good news, i was surprised he committed so early, but probably figured this was as good an offer as he was going to get and grabbed it while he could. The only other school i would like for him to play for would have been uk but as another poster said, landon slone was a walk-on there and in my opinion did not get a fair shot. The coach played mind games, praising him one day and benching him the next.

Elisha just gives his all in every game and will showcase eky basketball players. He does fit pitino's type of player and i wouldn't be surprised if he starts sometime in the first year. Go elisha, go sv, go uk.
I've read the story on KSR, Facebook, and other sources. They say that Elisha is from Shelby County and not Shelby Valley. Come on people, get it right! It's Shelby V-A-L-L-E-Y.

Anyone else seen this mistake?
congrats EJ
im from valley and personally i am a uk fan born and raised
and i just want 2 let Elisha know that i will be rooting for him in every game besides
the uk game i hope everything goes well and he can someday play on pro hardwood
congrats Elisha!!!!!
I think he will be a shoe in for MR.Basketball this year
does anybody agree
ballin23 Wrote:congrats EJ
im from valley and personally i am a uk fan born and raised
and i just want 2 let Elisha know that i will be rooting for him in every game besides
the uk game i hope everything goes well and he can someday play on pro hardwood
congrats Elisha!!!!!
I think he will be a shoe in for MR.Basketball this year
does anybody agree

Not a shoe in, but a Top 10 candidate.

For him to get Mr. Basketball:

1. Shelby Valley would have to make it to at least the Finals of the ALL A.
2. Win the Region going away once again.
3. Win 30+ games.
4. Average close to 25ppg.
5. Win two games at Rupp.

Personally and IMO, only 1 of those will happen. Either Number 2 or 4.
I think he is a GREAT player but IMHO this is a TERRIBLE DECISION! Walking on??? WALKING ON? When you walk-on somewhere you are automatically at the bottom of the totem pole, a player the school has no investement in you and and you are expendable PERIOD!! From all of the hullabaloo I just assumed he was signing early in November and getting a scholarship! This is a tragedy.................not something to celebrate! This kid has played his whole career and been a go-to guy and now to pay your own way to college to be a mop-up scout team player is an INSULT. PLEASE, someone talk some sense into him and go somewhere where they WANT YOU and you can get to PLAY!!!!
I wish EJ luck. I hope when they play UK that he drop 60 on us, but we still win Tongue
RUMOUR- I also herd Duke was given a look at him,, now this is only what I herd from a friend. anybody else, confirm this?
Congrats to Elisha. He deserves every bit of recognition as this is a pretty high honor for a mountain boy. As other people have said, I hate that it had to be UL but has worked hard and deserves to go to a big time d1 team. Once again congrats elisha!