Poll: Who wins?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Powell County
36.36%
Knott Co Central
63.64%
* You voted for this item.

Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Powell County vs Knott Co Central (14th Region)
I think we should do away with all coaches and have parents coach.... That way there isn't I would he should she should...Parents are so knowledgeable and can coach anything... parents would make great coaches... they can complain about everything... they can play there own daughters or kin folks no matter what... hey I think that's a great idea... I vote parents should coach all sports in the school system....but now parents you all will have to decide on which parent is right.... hmmmmm another good topic???
bullheaded Wrote:I think we should do away with all coaches and have parents coach.... That way there isn't I would he should she should...Parents are so knowledgeable and can coach anything... parents would make great coaches... they can complain about everything... they can play there own daughters or kin folks no matter what... hey I think that's a great idea... I vote parents should coach all sports in the school system....but now parents you all will have to decide on which parent is right.... hmmmmm another good topic???

This is a GREAT statement! This is exactly the problem here. I really like it when it's parents who have never played the game or coached at this level that seem to have all of the right answers. It's rediculous. I feel for whoever is the coach in the next four years because these parents are going to give them nothing but ****. These young players are very talented and could do some great things at Powell in the next four years, but you wait and see, the parents will be their biggest downfall. Mark it down.
PC Hoops Wrote:the 8th grader didn't look too scared in the district tournanment when she hit 2 back to back 3 pointers within 90 seconds before he took her out.
sorry but there were other 8th graders that played last night in the region but she could have pulled it off.

This goes to show you that all people pay attention to are points. She did hit two three pointers which is great, but she also turned the ball over and took a bad shot in the lane in which she just put her head down and walked back to defense in a sequence in which Estill scored. If I were coach and a player quits playing because they miss a shot, guess what, they find a seat on the bench. Get a clue, basketball is not all about scoring, there are many other aspects of the game.
UK you are right when estill started full court pressure and pressuring the the guards than they started to turn the ball over numerous times.... if you remember.... but some only see certiain things in the game..... maybe estill should had pressure the whole game??/ Never know... nothing bad against anyone just a point of view.. but PC has some nise young players....
UKLover Wrote:This goes to show you that all people pay attention to are points. She did hit two three pointers which is great, but she also turned the ball over and took a bad shot in the lane in which she just put her head down and walked back to defense in a sequence in which Estill scored. If I were coach and a player quits playing because they miss a shot, guess what, they find a seat on the bench. Get a clue, basketball is not all about scoring, there are many other aspects of the game.
The coach put her in cold off of the bench and estill pressed and took the ball away when she was being double teamed. She missed her first shot and dropped her head because she was getting screamed at by the coach. Even though he doesn't yell at the other players when they miss a shot. Then she came back within about 90 seconds and hit her next two shots which were 3 pointers and you want to put her down.
I hope you feel good about putting down this 8th grader. Oh Yeah, I forgot no other player on Powell's team made a mistake that night did they?? #4 was the only one that made a mistake. well that explains it.
From what I understand, it is common practice for Powell's coach to berate Erica whenever she misses a shot or makes any sort of mistake. This is not only determental to her, but to the rest of the team, as well, because the other players feel the pressure just like she does. Erica will mature into a fine basketball player if gven the correct mentoring to do so. Unfortunately, their high school coach simply doesn't seem to be doing so, and this undermines Erica's confidence and makes her reluctant to perform while on the court.

I was totally amazed when he pulled her off the bench, COLD, and put her into the game to hit technical free throws at the Knott County game! Then, he just as quickly pulled her out of the game to return to the bench until the game was nearly over and then put her in with only a few seconds left and expected her to do what? Save the team from the clutches of defeat!! Not going to happen. Treat her with a litttle respect and positive reinforcement and you will see wonderful things happen!

As I said before, time for a change!
Seems like it isn't working out for #4 where she is. Any other school would be thrilled to have a player like that.
Darn coaches not worth anything... how dare them to yell at a kid... shoot get rid of them all!!! Not letting my kid play.... They don't play any good teams so winning record isn't deserved.... hmmmmm get Coldiron out of here so he can go to Lafayette and win and has a very good team... Did Coldiron coach at Powell??/ I think so but he can't coach get rid of him.... I think eruption, diva and PC should apply for the job... I believe they have the answer that will fix all.... great job guys you all will do it.....How dare them to work kids hard in practice and yell at kids in practice.. make them run steps and 8ths... make my kid upset shoot coaches are so mean... you can't scream and yell aat my kid that's not very nice... get rid of all the coaches... parents I say should coach... oh no you mean the coached yelled at you in a game?? oh my ... they should be fired!!! hey we can hire a coach don't like him hired another coach next year... and the next year hire another on.. and next year a different one... we need to blame the coaches that come in...hey wait a minute there is a common denominator in all this ??? the parents.... strange???? hmmmmmm something to think about???
I agree, they should let the parents coach next year, they could take turns, that way they can make sure that their kid gets lots of playing time, and for the people who started the rumer that Coach Jones quit coaching at Knott Central, you better come up with a better one than that, cause no matter what the score, you will never see him stop coaching.
I've heard this coach get on to lots of players or yell what ever you want to call it, all coaches yell at some point, I say if you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen, I've also seen this player, when she misses a shot or what ever, just hang her head and just walk down the floor, this makes the best of coaches mad, something she needs to work on.
Lets clear this up. I am not a parent and don't have a dog (or pirate) in this race. However, I have watched basketball for many years and understand the game as well as any educated bystander. When you have a coach who has good talent on his team and refuses to let them shoot three point shots, when they have the ability to do so with much ease, and force them to play slow-down ball when they are all qualified to "run and gun," then the philosophy of the coach DOES NOT MATCH HIS MATERIAL! He should be willing to assess the team's abilities and make adjustments that will allow them to produce to the best of their abilities. If he (or she) is unwilling to do so, then the coach needs to be replaced so the team will prosper, and parents, fans and players will be more satisfied. It is relatively simple...time for a change!
divadawg Wrote:Lets clear this up. I am not a parent and don't have a dog (or pirate) in this race. However, I have watched basketball for many years and understand the game as well as any educated bystander. :biggrin:and force them to play slow-down ball when they are all qualified to "run and gun," then the philosophy of the coach DOES NOT MATCH HIS MATERIAL! He should be willing to assess the team's abilities and make adjustments that will allow them to produce to the best of their abilities. If he (or she) is unwilling to do so, then the coach needs to be replaced so the team will prosper, and parents, fans and players will be more satisfied. It is relatively simple...time for a change!

Anyone can shoot threes with ease. It is making them that is the problem.

As for the coaching style, Powell led the state in scoring so I dont think it was the stall. Not to mention he had two of the top players in the region.

Oh yeah, he won 20+ games and the district this year. The coach needs to go. :redboxer:
Lucky7 Wrote:Anyone can shoot threes with ease. It is making them that is the problem.

As for the coaching style, Powell led the state in scoring so I dont think it was the stall. Not to mention he had two of the top players in the region.

Oh yeah, he won 20+ games and the district this year. The coach needs to go. :redboxer:
this coach won 20+ games this season but he didn't play any good teams execpt for Breathitt, Letcher and KCC who beat POwell by the way. He played the weakest scheule ever and being #1 in the state for scoring is a joke. He played a weak schedule and the ball goes inside everytime. That is something to brag about isn't it?
Powell beat Lee and Estill in the District this year, need I say more?
divadawg Wrote:Lets clear this up. I am not a parent and don't have a dog (or pirate) in this race. However, I have watched basketball for many years and understand the game as well as any educated bystander. When you have a coach who has good talent on his team and refuses to let them shoot three point shots, when they have the ability to do so with much ease, and force them to play slow-down ball when they are all qualified to "run and gun," then the philosophy of the coach DOES NOT MATCH HIS MATERIAL! He should be willing to assess the team's abilities and make adjustments that will allow them to produce to the best of their abilities. If he (or she) is unwilling to do so, then the coach needs to be replaced so the team will prosper, and parents, fans and players will be more satisfied. It is relatively simple...time for a change!
Everything you have said in this thread has been exactly the truth. He has the players to play the run and gun style ball but he chooses to play the slow down style so certain players can play. It makes no sense at all. He has his favorites and his style of ball is about 40 years out of date.
He does not match his material at all. I can't believe he has the nerve to treat certain people like he has done. He needs to leave it is time for a change.
bullheaded Wrote:Darn coaches not worth anything... how dare them to yell at a kid... shoot get rid of them all!!! Not letting my kid play.... They don't play any good teams so winning record isn't deserved.... hmmmmm get Coldiron out of here so he can go to Lafayette and win and has a very good team... Did Coldiron coach at Powell??/ I think so but he can't coach get rid of him.... I think eruption, diva and PC should apply for the job... I believe they have the answer that will fix all.... great job guys you all will do it.....How dare them to work kids hard in practice and yell at kids in practice.. make them run steps and 8ths... make my kid upset shoot coaches are so mean... you can't scream and yell aat my kid that's not very nice... get rid of all the coaches... parents I say should coach... oh no you mean the coached yelled at you in a game?? oh my ... they should be fired!!! hey we can hire a coach don't like him hired another coach next year... and the next year hire another on.. and next year a different one... we need to blame the coaches that come in...hey wait a minute there is a common denominator in all this ??? the parents.... strange???? hmmmmmm something to think about???
I know some people who would like to coach these 8th graders. If you had the right coach who will play the right players Powell would have been in the championship game this year.
If Powell County didn't have 3 player sick,we would have made it too the Championship. Just because we lost first round of Regions doesn't mean fire the coach. Look at what he has done with the girls this year.and what a great job he did turning Stevie Rogers and Kendra McFarland into great players, they sure didnt learn that on their own. And a coach is suppose to yell at players, so they know what they did wrong and can fix it, so they don't do it again.
You talk about their win-loss record (21-6). Granted, that is a wonderful record...but look at the quality of the teams they played. In 27 games 16 of their opponents had loosing records (some as poor as 1-18, 6-17, 9-16, 9-14, but I digress). There was one team with a 14-14 record and the remaining 10 had winning records including Letcher (loss), KCC (2 losses), Breathitt (loss). The early part of their schedule was more difficult than the last. After the first Estill County game all the teams had loosing records until they played KCC in the regional tournament, so not much to say for increasing scheduling challenges in preparation for the tournaments. (I feel the strength of schedule is very important in preparing for the tournament.)

It is admirable that Stevie Rogers is averaging 24.7 points per game (currently 6th in the state) and I am sure many of her skills were learned starting in grade school and on into middle and high school. She certainly held her own against KCC in spite of the fact that she was ill and had not been able to practice for a few days prior to the game. However, what were the other starters on the team averaging? Their names don't appear as statistical leaders in the KHSAA tables at this time and I think it would be interesting to look at each player and see exactly what their contributions were for the year.

As for yelling at the players. I don't have a problem with constructive criticism. Kids who participate in athletics expect to be criticized, more than likely on a regular basis. However, a little positive reinforcement is never a bad thing when you are dealing with young kids. It is, after all, the rapport between the coach and the players that makes a team click. Just look at Calipari and his fine group of players to better understand this concept.

In conclusion, it is never good to center your entire offense around one or two players because when you play a team that has scouted you and learned your scheme, it will be easy to establish an defense that will be able to contain those players and make scoring very difficult. Thus the reason to evaluate your entire team and establish a game plan that will work to strengthen your team, no debilitate it!
hey will someone call who ever hires coaches over there in powell county and tell them we have two of the smartest coaches in the state. Diva and PC I can't wait to see you on the sideline next year.... That is going to be awesome.. just think two great minds on the sideline coaching... they know exactly what the girls can do before the game begins and how it's going to turn out with there decision making... now you other people I will not have any fussing when these two great basketball minds lose a game.. ohhhhhhhhhh what am i thinking they will never loose they know how these young ladies will play before evvery game.. state champs next year with diva and pc at the head.... now what type of offense will you run??? Flex maybe??? run and gun now what do you mean by this run and gun
no not the flex they don't like that i forgot sorry.. ok run and gun???? hmmm now does your young ladies run the slots or should they hit the gaps??? diva and pc give me a little more detail on this run and gun??? oh yea pc and diva i see so call anyone can see these things tell me who you have coached for??? would like to see your ballstyle that you teach... I can't wait till pc and diva are on the sidelines.. so excited to see how they run and gun the whole game... oh yea they can't shoot threes with such ease.... they run and gun and shoot threes that is pc and diva plan.....hmmmm Powell we have your coaches call the newspaper....
Well there's the problem with you, you never played the game , you have never coached the game ,but yet your an expert, isn't that how it always goes ? Leave our coach alone and go dawg someone else , maybe in Hazard ?
divadawg Wrote:You talk about their win-loss record (21-6). Granted, that is a wonderful record...but look at the quality of the teams they played. In 27 games 16 of their opponents had loosing records (some as poor as 1-18, 6-17, 9-16, 9-14, but I digress). There was one team with a 14-14 record and the remaining 10 had winning records including Letcher (loss), KCC (2 losses), Breathitt (loss). The early part of their schedule was more difficult than the last. After the first Estill County game all the teams had loosing records until they played KCC in the regional tournament, so not much to say for increasing scheduling challenges in preparation for the tournaments. (I feel the strength of schedule is very important in preparing for the tournament.)

It is admirable that Stevie Rogers is averaging 24.7 points per game (currently 6th in the state) and I am sure many of her skills were learned starting in grade school and on into middle and high school. She certainly held her own against KCC in spite of the fact that she was ill and had not been able to practice for a few days prior to the game. However, what were the other starters on the team averaging? Their names don't appear as statistical leaders in the KHSAA tables at this time and I think it would be interesting to look at each player and see exactly what their contributions were for the year.

As for yelling at the players. I don't have a problem with constructive criticism. Kids who participate in athletics expect to be criticized, more than likely on a regular basis. However, a little positive reinforcement is never a bad thing when you are dealing with young kids. It is, after all, the rapport between the coach and the players that makes a team click. Just look at Calipari and his fine group of players to better understand this concept.:In conclusion, it is never good to center your entire offense around one or two players because when you play a team that has scouted you and learned your scheme, it will be easy to establish an defense that will be able to contain those players and make scoring very difficult. Thus the reason to evaluate your entire team and establish a game plan that will work to strengthen your team, no debilitate it!

Maybe Calapari will be interested in the job if it were to open up. :eyeroll:

When you have two of the top players in the region you run the offense through them. Look at Breathitt, do you think that they dont go around Kendall Noble, Rankin at PCC, even Turner and Wright at Owsley County.

I am sure that these 8th graders are good players, however they are 8th graders and they have plenty of time to make their own mark.
Be realistic. I was not suggesting Calipari would be interested in the PC job. I was simply alluding to the development of rapport between the coach and the players that occurred at UK this year and how it also applies to teams at other levels of sports. You seem to be very supportive of Coach Jones. My point is important in that PC is going to loose these talented 8th graders if something doesn't change in the coaching department. When you have players who are capable of successfully hitting the three in games and you tell them don't shoot the three...everything goes inside, then there is a problem. You need to make use of every phase of your game to get the best out of your team! Enough said!
Lucky7 Wrote:Maybe Calapari will be interested in the job if it were to open up. :eyeroll:

When you have two of the top players in the region you run the offense through them. Look at Breathitt, do you think that they dont go around Kendall Noble, Rankin at PCC, even Turner and Wright at Owsley County.

I am sure that these 8th graders are good players, however they are 8th graders and they have plenty of time to make their own mark.
A coach cannot center a team's offense around only 2 players. A team cannot win a regional title or a state title when only 2 players can shoot. I hope you are happy with coach jones and his 40 year old coaching style.
It is very important that a coach and a player have a good relationship. It is very important that a player can shoot too especially when he plays starters that cannot even score. So what if an 8th grader can come off of the bench and score...play her.
There are 2 8th graders that should have been starting all season. If they had of started then Powell would have been in the regional championship game.
PC Hoops Wrote:A coach cannot center a team's offense around only 2 players. A team cannot win a regional title or a state title when only 2 players can shoot. I hope you are happy with coach jones and his 40 year old coaching style.
It is very important that a coach and a player have a good relationship. It is very important that a player can shoot too especially when he plays starters that cannot even score. So what if an 8th grader can come off of the bench and score...play her.
There are 2 8th graders that should have been starting all season. If they had of started then Powell would have been in the regional championship game.

Where did Coach Jones coach at before he went to Powell County.
My question is where did you last coach ? you seem to be an expert on it all.
This game has been over for quite a while now. If you want to continue the "Who should be the coach" thread, CREATE one. This thread is closed, not necessarily because of comments, but because this is WAAAAYYYY off topic.