Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another tragedy in Pikeville
I agree Tribe. I hope no foul play was involved but I was told yesterday by 3 people that knew Paige that there was. Regardless very tragic...
I've known kids that had the nonfatal form of meningitis and well, they went to the doctor because they were so bad off..you would just think that they would have checked it out.
Here is the story from WLEX.

http://www.lex18.com/Global/story.asp?S=4287658
PHSFAN Wrote:I agree Tribe. I hope no foul play was involved but I was told yesterday by 3 people that knew Paige that there was. Regardless very tragic...

I don't understand the 3 people part.
You were told by three people that foul play was possibly involved?

The police here kind of suck so if they prompt an investigation, which in my opinion they should do because it does sound and look fishy, they should get the higher authorities.

If it wasn't a family thing then Patton has the money to get the FBI here and if it was then would he cover?

Who knows...deaths are not always clear cut.
I was told by 3 different people the same thing that another poster said in this thread. I am not a detective though and I hope foul play was not involved.
I see now. Sorry, I read it wrong.

I hope not too but you never know.
I really want them to get to the bottom of this, maybe I am just reading into it too much but it sounds bad to me.
my condolencies to the family
I think whatever happened will come out in the end. If it was meningitis, doesnt that bring in the CDC or something? Wont others have to be tested to see if they have it? Didnt they shut down schools for that a year or so ago? It is just sad to see little ones being taken like that. I really feel for there familys and friends.
What is bacterial meningitis?

Meningitis is an infection of the fluid in the spinal cord and the fluid that surrounds the brain. Meningitis is usually caused by an infection with a virus or a bacterium. Knowing whether meningitis is caused by a virus or a bacterium is important because of differences in the seriousness of the illness and the treatment needed.

VIRAL MENINGITIS is usually relatively mild. It clears up within a week or two without specific treatment. Viral meningitis is also called aseptic meningitis.

BACTERIAL MENINGITIS is much more serious. It can cause severe disease that can result in brain damage and even death.

What bacteria cause bacterial meningitis?

Bacterial meningitis is most commonly caused by one of three types of bacteria: Haemophilus influenzae type b (Hib), Neisseria meningitidis, and Streptococcus pneumoniae.

Before the 1990s, Hib was the leading cause of bacterial meningitis, but new vaccines being given to children as part of their routine immunizations have reduced the occurrence of serious Hib disease. Today, Neisseria meningitidis and Streptococcus pneumoniae are the leading causes of bacterial meningitis. Meningitis caused by Neisseria meningitidis is also called MENINGOCOCCAL MENINGITIS. Meningitis caused by Streptococcus pneumoniae is called PNEUMOCOCCAL MENINGITIS.

It is important to know which type of bacteria is causing the bacterial meningitis because antibiotics can prevent some types from spreading and infecting other people.

Where is bacterial meningitis found?

Bacterial meningitis is found worldwide. The bacteria often live harmlessly in a person's mouth and throat. In rare instances, however, they can break through the body's immune defenses and travel to the fluid surrounding the brain and spinal cord. There they begin to multiply quickly. Soon, the thin membrane that covers the brain and spinal cord (meninges) becomes swollen and inflamed, leading to the classic symptoms of meningitis.

How do people get bacterial meningitis?

The bacteria are spread by direct close contact with the discharges from the nose or throat of an infected person. Fortunately, none of the bacteria that cause meningitis are very contagious, and they are not spread by casual contact or by simply breathing the air where a person with meningitis has been.

What are the signs and symptoms of bacterial meningitis?

In persons over age 2, common symptoms are high fever, headache, and stiff neck. These symptoms can develop over several hours, or they may take 1 to 2 days. Other symptoms can include nausea, vomiting, sensitivity to light, confusion, and sleepiness. In advanced disease, bruises develop under the skin and spread quickly.

In newborns and infants, the typical symptoms of fever, headache, and neck stiffness may be hard to detect. Other signs in babies might be inactivity, irritability, vomiting, and poor feeding.

As the disease progresses, patients of any age can have seizures.

Who is at risk for bacterial meningitis?

Anyone can get bacterial meningitis, but it is most common in infants and children. People who have had close or prolonged contact with a patient with meningitis caused by Neisseria meningitidis or Hib can also be at increased risk. This includes people in the same household or day-care center, or anyone with direct contact with discharges from a meningitis patient's mouth or nose.

How is bacterial meningitis diagnosed?

The diagnosis is usually made by growing bacteria from a sample of spinal fluid. The spinal fluid is obtained by a spinal tap. A doctor inserts a needle into the lower back and removes some fluid from the spinal canal. Identification of the type of bacteria responsible for the meningitis is important for the selection of correct antibiotic treatment.

What complications can result from bacterial meningitis?

Advanced bacterial meningitis can lead to brain damage, coma, and death. Survivors can suffer long-term complications, including hearing loss, mental retardation, paralysis, and seizures.

What is the treatment for bacterial meningitis?

Early diagnosis and treatment are very important. If symptoms occur, the patient should see a doctor right away. Bacterial meningitis can be treated with a number of effective antibiotics. It is important, however, that treatment be started early.
I didn't know that meningitis could get so bad that it could kill someone.
It doesn't seem like it is very simple to catch but they have closed down schools for it before.

If they continue with an investigation then we will hear more.
Almost everybody I've heard having Meningitis has died or came close
Mom seen on the news where they said thats what she died from. She had meningitis and she had a seizure and fell threw a windown thats where teh stab wounds came from i guess, or the breaking into the house.
15thRegionCrazy Wrote:Almost everybody I've heard having Meningitis has died or came close

There are two different times.
One can be fatal, the other is not.
Both are treatable if you catch the bacterial meningitis in the early stages.
A few people that I know have had the nonfatal kind, were in the hospital for a while, antibiotics cured it and they were monitored for a while to see what kind it was and stuff.
Cowhunter30 Wrote:Mom seen on the news where they said thats what she died from. She had meningitis and she had a seizure and fell threw a windown thats where teh stab wounds came from i guess, or the breaking into the house.

I thought that they found her inside of the house..

Seizure and falling through a window would mean that she was outside.

Does this not sound fishy to anyone else?
I know that.. just most cases that have been around here lately have been fatal or near fatal
the family could have brought her inside
Yea. Just saying that there was two types.

I didn't know that until one of my friends caught it.

When a person hears that they have meningitis, you have to think how scary that would be. Shew goodness. Sad

15th, you know your criminal justice, is any of this adding up for you?

People die everyday and each situation is sad but I can't believe that this one happened like they are saying. I don't know.
Cowhunter30 Wrote:the family could have brought her inside

True but they aren't supposed to move the body.

Where did this grandmother live in Pikeville?
They also said there was blood everywhere.. but they said it was from the seizures and she had fallen a lot to get it everywhere.. it is kinda fishy but it's possible
If we knew where the blood was supposed to be coming from..

If she took a bump to the head say when she fell because of the seizure then she wouldn't be getting back up and moving around much to fall down more...
yea this is true...thats what the news talked like
Just not adding up.

I would love to see the police report and the autopsy report.
She could have been throwing up blood if she was having a seizure.. im not sure where they are saying it was coming from though.. i just hope they figure out what exactly happened because this is such a sad case
I thought about that too.

I wonder if she had a history of seizures, if she had been to the doctor because they would have diagnosed the meningitis and she would have been in the hospital...just things like that.

I hope that all the facts gets straightened out. The feels like the Jon Benet Ramsey case for me.
During a seizure people can bite their tongues.. and believe me,, when the tounge starts bleeding, it dont' want to stop.. and if she was shaking pretty bad, then the blood could have flown from her mouth.. I know this becuase it has happend to me.. I splattered my walls during a seizure one time...

There's too much to this for anyone of us to come to a conclusion.. I didn't know the girl.. Don't know what she was like.. and I dont' think any of us will probably ever know what really happend..

I hate this for the family.. and I hope they can pull through it ok.
page johnsons grandmother lived on keiser heights. no one should believe anything at this point because i have heard everything from she killed herself to some stranger broke in. webmd states that symptoms of bacterial menengitis appear 2-3 weeks before a victim can die. earlier if they have an immune system deficiency. page had flu like symptoms for 1 day. other symptoms include hallucinations.
one of my very good friends is her cousin and everyone is still suspicious of everything. i honestly do not think that anyone will know the real story except for page and her immediate family. if deamed necessary, the family will cover it up either to protect someone or to protect page's memory.
i have been very upset by some of the rumors i have heard, one knowing that page was such a sweet girl who loved life she would never kill herself. if anyone hears this rumor please put it to rest.
I think putting this to rest is the best thing PvilleCheer...for now, noone knows what happened and we need to let drop the talk in respect to all of her friends that visit this site. If something were to come up then this could be another topic, but for now, let's allow Paige to rest in peace.