Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ashland vs. NKY Football
Can you dig it? Wrote:Hard to tell. Highlands has been bitten somewhat by the injury bug this season, but they've got a lot of weaponry that all seems to have a different look to it. The passing game is iffy to this point, good one week, then non-existent the next. The running game is very good, but the return of Compton will elevate things considerably. The defense is also very good and is likely to only improve as the season progresses. Then comes the stinky old but.....
BUT, as Bryan Station almost proved in 2008, no team is invincible once the playoffs start. Bryan Station took the Birds to the wire, and I've been around long enough to know it can happen at any time.
As for Dixie, CovCath and Scott, all appear to be down. Dixie has a decent group of athletes, but I've questioned the coaching and conditioning for years. That said, Dixie **** a hurtin' on the Toms last year. They're fairly enigmatic and have been for years. Ditto for CovCath. They've won convincingly twice, and been throttled twice so far this year. I think they'll handle Beechwood this week, but I think NewCath will win the following week. After that the most telling game will be the Dixie game, and the Friday Dixie/Ryle contest should give us an idea who has the inside track for the #2 spot in NKY 5A.
No doubt who has the inside track on the #4 spot. Scott is pretty awful. They're capable of playing with some of the lesser A & AA teams in the area, but again they walked into Johnson Central last year as a huge underdog and stuck 41 up on the Golden Eagles. They lost some very good players from that team, but it will still be interesting to see whose carpet they leave a mess on in the first round this year.

I wanted to bring up the injury bug, but forgot. It could have a big effect, but some how HHS always seems to find a backup to come in and get the job done (something that alot of other teams seem to have trouble doing).
Dixie and Covcath are better than some of you nky folks are giving them credit for.

I think it'd be extremely tough for the teams in that district to pick up a win over a nky team, outside of Scott.

Dixie has some very good play makers in Cohorn, Pike, and Leonard that have had success against everyone, regardless of competition. As stated earlier, the question on them is their conditioning and coaching. They had big leads against Newcath and SK, only to lose in the second half. Dixie's performance alone against Newcath should tell everyone they're a solid football team. I think Newcath would beat anyone in the district down in EKY, outside of maybe Johnson Central. That would be a good game as well though.

Covcath has been throttled bly a very good Ryle team and a team, LaSalle, OH, that could very well win the GCL South this year in Ohio. They throttled Lexcath and Campbell Co. I think Lexcath is about on par with Ashland and Johnson Central.

Highlands is Highlands. They may be down in the eyes of some of the Bluebird faithful's eyes, but a down year for Highlands this year still likely equals a state championship. Their offense is as good as anyone's in the state led by Towles and the defense is coming around.

This district is still very good, despite what some think. Dixie and Covcath would win a lot of other 5a districts around the state.
kywldcat01 Wrote:Dixie and Covcath are better than some of you nky folks are giving them credit for.

I think it'd be extremely tough for the teams in that district to pick up a win over a nky team, outside of Scott.

Dixie has some very good play makers in Cohorn, Pike, and Leonard that have had success against everyone, regardless of competition. As stated earlier, the question on them is their conditioning and coaching. They had big leads against Newcath and SK, only to lose in the second half. Dixie's performance alone against Newcath should tell everyone they're a solid football team. I think Newcath would beat anyone in the district down in EKY, outside of maybe Johnson Central. That would be a good game as well though.

Covcath has been throttled bly a very good Ryle team and a team, LaSalle, OH, that could very well win the GCL South this year in Ohio. They throttled Lexcath and Campbell Co. I think Lexcath is about on par with Ashland and Johnson Central.

Highlands is Highlands. They may be down in the eyes of some of the Bluebird faithful's eyes, but a down year for Highlands this year still likely equals a state championship. Their offense is as good as anyone's in the state led by Towles and the defense is coming around.

This district is still very good, despite what some think. Dixie and Covcath would win a lot of other 5a districts around the state.

:rockon:
Can you dig it? Wrote:Hard to tell. Highlands has been bitten somewhat by the injury bug this season, but they've got a lot of weaponry that all seems to have a different look to it. The passing game is iffy to this point, good one week, then non-existent the next. The running game is very good, but the return of Compton will elevate things considerably. The defense is also very good and is likely to only improve as the season progresses. Then comes the stinky old but.....
BUT, as Bryan Station almost proved in 2008, no team is invincible once the playoffs start. Bryan Station took the Birds to the wire, and I've been around long enough to know it can happen at any time.
As for Dixie, CovCath and Scott, all appear to be down. Dixie has a decent group of athletes, but I've questioned the coaching and conditioning for years. That said, Dixie **** a hurtin' on the Toms last year. They're fairly enigmatic and have been for years. Ditto for CovCath. They've won convincingly twice, and been throttled twice so far this year. I think they'll handle Beechwood this week, but I think NewCath will win the following week. After that the most telling game will be the Dixie game, and the Friday Dixie/Ryle contest should give us an idea who has the inside track for the #2 spot in NKY 5A.
No doubt who has the inside track on the #4 spot. Scott is pretty awful. They're capable of playing with some of the lesser A & AA teams in the area, but again they walked into Johnson Central last year as a huge underdog and stuck 41 up on the Golden Eagles. They lost some very good players from that team, but it will still be interesting to see whose carpet they leave a mess on in the first round this year.

I do not see how you can call Highlands passing game "iffy". Towels throws a beautiful long ball with Gold or Sheehan receiving. Worked against Ryle, was shut down by Withrow which is totally understandable. If I was Withrow watching Highlands tapes before I played them I would work on double teaming the receivers to take away the long ball which is exactly what they did. So Highlands against Withrow went to the running game. :Clap:

I have also heard alot about Highlands not having a short passing game.:please: Come on guys this is Highlands, they have never thrown everything at their opponents every game. Just because you don't see the short passing games doesn't mean they don't have one. Heck, I watched practices where I have seen them work on fun stuff week in and week out and not once saw it in a game that season. Dale does what he needs to to win the game at the same time he is developing other things he wants to work on.
tradition Wrote:I do not see how you can call Highlands passing game "iffy". Towels throws a beautiful long ball with Gold or Sheehan receiving. Worked against Ryle, was shut down by Withrow which is totally understandable. If I was Withrow watching Highlands tapes before I played them I would work on double teaming the receivers to take away the long ball which is exactly what they did. So Highlands against Withrow went to the running game. :Clap:

"Iffy" in that Towles seems to struggle with his touch at times. He seems to either greatly overthrow or underthrow his receivers. Don't think I've given up hope or anything of the such.
Can you dig it? Wrote:"Iffy" in that Towles seems to struggle with his touch at times. He seems to either greatly overthrow or underthrow his receivers. Don't think I've given up hope or anything of the such.

Could be that some of that could be attributed to a completely new offensive line. Getting use to that "ballet" can take some time. Glad to see Ryan Hahn doing a phenominal job at center as the only returning olineman from last year.
No way Ashland could beat Highlands. Highlands might not be as good as they was a year ago but there still the favorite to win state
Can you dig it? Wrote:"Iffy" in that Towles seems to struggle with his touch at times. He seems to either greatly overthrow or underthrow his receivers. Don't think I've given up hope or anything of the such.

When he misses his receiver, he primarily over throws the long ball. That's what they are taught: if you are going to miss the deep receiver, overthrow it as it's less likely to be intercepted.

Only times I've seen Patrick underthrow the ball this year is when he's been forced to throw off his back foot as a result of pass rush pressure. Last year in Ryle II, he had a couple of underthrown balls but he was throwing into strong winds.
charlie22 Wrote:When he misses his receiver, he primarily over throws the long ball. That's what they are taught: if you are going to miss the deep receiver, overthrow it as it's less likely to be intercepted.

Only times I've seen Patrick underthrow the ball this year is when he's been forced to throw off his back foot as a result of pass rush pressure. Last year in Ryle II, he had a couple of underthrown balls but he was throwing into strong winds.

Strong winds huh, well that probably won't be a problem IF HHS gets to play up this way in Punam Stadium. (Although I do know some fans here who can hold their own) LOL
charlie22 Wrote:When he misses his receiver, he primarily over throws the long ball. That's what they are taught: if you are going to miss the deep receiver, overthrow it as it's less likely to be intercepted.

I have seen alot of under thrown balls this year and very few over thrown balls. I am not worried about the passing game, it will be fine. But, I do think they need continued work on the short passes and the screen passes have looked bad. It is nice to have so many offensive weapons and not have to depend on one thing every game! I would hate to be the opposing teams D coordinator.
Ashland can't stop the run against bigger more physical teams. They beat the crap out of us but Greenup and Ironton and I am sure many teams with a strong O-line can run at will against them. Ashland is a very fast athletic team......but just too small to matchup against alot of these teams. :igiveup:
[quote=RAMSPORTS]Ashland can't stop the run against bigger more physical teams. They beat the crap out of us but Greenup and Ironton and I am sure many teams with a strong O-line can run at will against them. Ashland is a very fast athletic team......but just too small to matchup against alot of these teams. :igiveup:[/QUOTE

Point taken. I like Greenup's line and they play well but, I don't think they are quite at the level Ironton is enjoying right now.
RAMSPORTS Wrote:Ashland can't stop the run against bigger more physical teams. They beat the crap out of us but Greenup and Ironton and I am sure many teams with a strong O-line can run at will against them. Ashland is a very fast athletic team......but just too small to matchup against alot of these teams. :igiveup:

This is fair, and what I saw when Campbell County scrimmaged with Ashland the last few years.
It's too bad that Ashland and Johnson Central play so early in the district schedule. It would be great to see the two teams play undefeated in the district finale. Both teams need to improve by leaps and bounds to have any shot at a regional or state title. Ashland's line is not going to get much bigger and stronger before the playoffs and JC is not going to get much deeper before then either.

Fortunately for Ashland and JC, there is still plenty of time to improve because neither team would be competitive with Highlands right now.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:It's too bad that Ashland and Johnson Central play so early in the district schedule. It would be great to see the two teams play undefeated in the district finale. Both teams need to improve by leaps and bounds to have any shot at a regional or state title. Ashland's line is not going to get much bigger and stronger before the playoffs and JC is not going to get much deeper before then either.

Fortunately for Ashland and JC, there is still plenty of time to improve because neither team would be competitive with Highlands right now.

Based on the Friday game, I'd be worried about competing with Scott at this point.
Can you dig it? Wrote:Based on the Friday game, I'd be worried about competing with Scott at this point.

LMAO, Not that was flat out wrong! But it was good :lmao:
Can you dig it? Wrote:Based on the Friday game, I'd be worried about competing with Scott at this point.

Again, be careful with assuming that JC won't compete with Highlands this year. They will. It will again be one of Highlands toughest games and everyone knows it in Ft. Thomas. Coach Mueller and Weinrich have the utmost respect for the tenacity of the mountain game. And with the game being played away there is much cause for concern. I would still predict a bluebird win, but it won't be easy. As for Ashland Paul Blazer, I have much respect for them and wish them the very best, but they will get smoked by JC in October and Highlands just better hope they stay injury free. As for Ashland competing with NKY. Yes, they would compete well with the likes of Cov. Cath, Scott, and maybe Dixie. But these teams are on the weaker side of 5a and should not be used as a barometer for a teams' success.