Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Obamacare at Work
Im not for everything in the bill, but there is a lot of good things in the bill. Requiring business' to supply their employees with health coverage is a great thing. Doing this will actually over time drive down the cost of HC for all of us who already have it. HC costs have skyrocketed because HC providers are having to eat so much for all the uninsured, when that starts dropping drastically the cost of HC will go down.

Also covering pre-existing conditions and allowing parents to keep their children on their HC through the college years will also keep those numbers down.
Beetle01 Wrote:Im not for everything in the bill, but there is a lot of good things in the bill. Requiring business' to supply their employees with health coverage is a great thing. Doing this will actually over time drive down the cost of HC for all of us who already have it. HC costs have skyrocketed because HC providers are having to eat so much for all the uninsured, when that starts dropping drastically the cost of HC will go down.

Also covering pre-existing conditions and allowing parents to keep their children on their HC through the college years will also keep those numbers down.
You talk about keeping HC costs down. Why are so many employees seeing their premiums skyrocket and their benefits nosedive if Obamacare is keeping those costs down?

Why would a company like Boeing announce that because of the "cost pressures" of Obamacare, that "deductibles and copayments are going up significantly" for 90,000 nonunion employees?

Boeing is heavily dependent on government contracts. There is no reason for the company to risk the wrath of Obama, Pelosi, and Reid by jacking up employee HC costs and blaming the new law unless the company's own costs are skyrocketing.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:You talk about keeping HC costs down. Why are so many employees seeing their premiums skyrocket and their benefits nosedive if Obamacare is keeping those costs down?

Why would a company like Boeing announce that because of the "cost pressures" of Obamacare, that "deductibles and copayments are going up significantly" for 90,000 nonunion employees?

Boeing is heavily dependent on government contracts. There is no reason for the company to risk the wrath of Obama, Pelosi, and Reid by jacking up employee HC costs and blaming the new law unless the company's own costs are skyrocketing.

First of all I wouldnt call an increase of $40/mth skyrocketing. They are going up because right now the cost of HC is still high. See hospitals have to eat the costs of the uninsured, and the money they get from Medicare/Medicaid is preset. So they cant increase costs there. So they increase the costs on the insured. However, as more and more people become insured, those costs will drop. The hospital will make more money, and the costs for people like you and me will also go down. They are basing these things on current HC costs, which is not going to be accurate once more people are insured.

Im not sure why a 70 billion dollar a year company is doing that. I guess giving up a few mil for their employees is more than they can afford. I can think of one word. Greed.
Beetle01 Wrote:First of all I wouldnt call an increase of $40/mth skyrocketing. They are going up because right now the cost of HC is still high. See hospitals have to eat the costs of the uninsured, and the money they get from Medicare/Medicaid is preset. So they cant increase costs there. So they increase the costs on the insured. However, as more and more people become insured, those costs will drop. The hospital will make more money, and the costs for people like you and me will also go down. They are basing these things on current HC costs, which is not going to be accurate once more people are insured.

Im not sure why a 70 billion dollar a year company is doing that. I guess giving up a few mil for their employees is more than they can afford. I can think of one word. Greed.
Costs are going up and benefits are being slashed and the full impact of Obamacare has barely begun taking effect. Do you really think it is because companies are greedier now than they were before Obama took office?

When government policies impose additional costs of doing business on companies, somebody has to pay. Companies do not print money they make money by producing and selling goods and/or services.

Obama's first two budgets were in the red by $1.6 and $1.5 trillion dollars. Obama is willing to put private insurance companies out of business if it means voters like you will blame greedy corporations and then beg the federal government to "give" them a single payer healthcare system.

When people start repeating Obama's talking points about greedy corporations, it is music to the ears of liberal Democrats everywhere. It means that the master plan is on track.

Also, don't make the mistake of only looking at increased premium rates as the full cost of Obamacare. In my case, my premiums did not change much but my out-of-pocket expenses did skyrocket. So much in fact, some of my younger coworkers declined coverage and are paying 100 percent of the cost of their own coverage.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:Costs are going up and benefits are being slashed and the full impact of Obamacare has barely begun taking effect. Do you really think it is because companies are greedier now than they were before Obama took office?

When government policies impose additional costs of doing business on companies, somebody has to pay. Companies do not print money they make money by producing and selling goods and/or services.

Obama's first two budgets were in the red by $1.6 and $1.5 trillion dollars. Obama is willing to put private insurance companies out of business if it means voters like you will blame greedy corporations and then beg the federal government to "give" them a single payer healthcare system.

When people start repeating Obama's talking points about greedy corporations, it is music to the ears of liberal Democrats everywhere. It means that the master plan is on track.

Also, don't make the mistake of only looking at increased premium rates as the full cost of Obamacare. In my case, my premiums did not change much but my out-of-pocket expenses did skyrocket. So much in fact, some of my younger coworkers declined coverage and are paying 100 percent of the cost of their own coverage.

You are not seeing the full impact of Obamacare, and wont for a couple years, as I have said for the 3rd time, as you refuse to address, it will eventually bring costs down. This is so multifaceted, I really dont want to take the time to try and explain it to you because it is obvious because of your hate for Obama you will refuse to look at anything and see it as the positive it will be. I didnt vote for Obama, and I wont in 2012, but there are some very good things in this bill that will truly benefit all Americans including yourself. So its not like Im some big liberal who is taking up for Obama, I am conservative/moderate.

I know myself, if the hospital is having to eat less expenses, and more people have health insurance, meaning they will get HC before it becomes some drastic problem thus creating even more of an expense, the cost of HC will go down. As much as you refuse to even accept that fact or acknowledge it, it is pure fact. As it is now, people have minor problems but no insurance, so instead of treating it early for a cheap cost, it builds up until it becomes a catastrophic health issue, and then they goto the hospital or w/e and have to have major things dones which cost in the tens of thousands or hundreds of thousands, and the hospital is forced to eat those costs. Well, guess who really gets to pay those costs? The insured!

Insurance companies are not going to go bankrupt, they are some of the most profitable business' in the world. Just because more people are insured doesnt mean they wont make the same percentage of profit, their payout/received ratio will stay the same. And as the cost of HC is driven down, they will begin offering better and better rates/coverage to compete for all the new people who are getting coverage.

IDK what Obama's first 2 budgets have to do with anything involved in this aspect of the HC bill. When actually the President doesnt make the budgets, congress does.

As for the corporations, this bill isnt causing all that influx, if you look in your little link there it says over the last 9 years, they were going up under our last President also. But as stated over time those costs will go down, and the coverage received will be better. I hate most of Obama's policies, but I work the HC field, and this type of thing was needed. Now I cant vouch for every piece of the bill, but the main parts are going to make a huge difference in a lot of peoples lives, and make HC a lot better for everyone.
Beetle01 Wrote:You are not seeing the full impact of Obamacare, and wont for a couple years, as I have said for the 3rd time, as you refuse to address, it will eventually bring costs down. This is so multifaceted, I really dont want to take the time to try and explain it to you because it is obvious because of your hate for Obama you will refuse to look at anything and see it as the positive it will be. I didnt vote for Obama, and I wont in 2012, but there are some very good things in this bill that will truly benefit all Americans including yourself. So its not like Im some big liberal who is taking up for Obama, I am conservative/moderate.

I know myself, if the hospital is having to eat less expenses, and more people have health insurance, meaning they will get HC before it becomes some drastic problem thus creating even more of an expense, the cost of HC will go down. As much as you refuse to even accept that fact or acknowledge it, it is pure fact. As it is now, people have minor problems but no insurance, so instead of treating it early for a cheap cost, it builds up until it becomes a catastrophic health issue, and then they goto the hospital or w/e and have to have major things dones which cost in the tens of thousands or hundreds of thousands, and the hospital is forced to eat those costs. Well, guess who really gets to pay those costs? The insured!

Insurance companies are not going to go bankrupt, they are some of the most profitable business' in the world. Just because more people are insured doesnt mean they wont make the same percentage of profit, their payout/received ratio will stay the same. And as the cost of HC is driven down, they will begin offering better and better rates/coverage to compete for all the new people who are getting coverage.

IDK what Obama's first 2 budgets have to do with anything involved in this aspect of the HC bill. When actually the President doesnt make the budgets, congress does.

As for the corporations, this bill isnt causing all that influx, if you look in your little link there it says over the last 9 years, they were going up under our last President also. But as stated over time those costs will go down, and the coverage received will be better. I hate most of Obama's policies, but I work the HC field, and this type of thing was needed. Now I cant vouch for every piece of the bill, but the main parts are going to make a huge difference in a lot of peoples lives, and make HC a lot better for everyone.

It's foolish to even remotely suggest that by adding a large number of participants, of whom a large percentage more than likely have pre-existing conditions, that this plan will drive the cost of insurance down. Common sense Beetle, Common sense.

After I read that early part of your post I didn't really consider much of what else you had to say. That part spoke volumes.
Bob Seger Wrote:It's foolish to even remotely suggest that by adding a large number of participants, of whom a large percentage more than likely have pre-existing conditions, that this plan will drive the cost of insurance down. Common sense Beetle, Common sense.

After I read that early part of your post I didn't really consider much of what else you had to say. That part spoke volumes.

Thats to bad because if you would have you would have read where I explained how it would bring costs down. These companies operate off of a ratio. Meaning the average percentage of the people they insure that get sick will relatively stay the same no matter how many they insure. In actuality they will make more money if more people are insured, but they wont keep the same rates, they will drop to become more competitive for the increased consumer market of insurees. As more and more become insured and hospitals take less of a hit from uninsured people, their costs will go down, so the costs of the visit/procedure will also go down. There will be plenty of people with pre-existing conditions, no doubt, but currently those people are already draining on the HC industry with no insurance, and driving up the price anyways, insuring them is not going to be a bad thing.

The biggest strain is going to be illegals, most of whom live in poverty, eat unhealthy, poor living conditions, and no insurace. Time for them to go.
If your going to cover preexisting conditions, then why have insurance at all? Just wait till you get sick and go by a policy. It's like buying life insurance after your dead!
Beetle01 Wrote:Thats to bad because if you would have you would have read where I explained how it would bring costs down. These companies operate off of a ratio. Meaning the average percentage of the people they insure that get sick will relatively stay the same no matter how many they insure. In actuality they will make more money if more people are insured, but they wont keep the same rates, they will drop to become more competitive for the increased consumer market of insurees. As more and more become insured and hospitals take less of a hit from uninsured people, their costs will go down, so the costs of the visit/procedure will also go down. There will be plenty of people with pre-existing conditions, no doubt, but currently those people are already draining on the HC industry with no insurance, and driving up the price anyways, insuring them is not going to be a bad thing.

The biggest strain is going to be illegals, most of whom live in poverty, eat unhealthy, poor living conditions, and no insurace. Time for them to go.
If what you are saying is true...And the auto insurance industry can be compared...Why didn't auto insurance go down when government made it law that we all have it?

I don't buy it. If I'm an insurance company and I HAVE to insure people, my rates are most definitely going up. PERIOD.
SKINNYPIG Wrote:If what you are saying is true...And the auto insurance industry can be compared...Why didn't auto insurance go down when government made it law that we all have it?

I don't buy it. If I'm an insurance company and I HAVE to insure people, my rates are most definitely going up. PERIOD.

As common sense would tell you.
Beetle01 Wrote:You are not seeing the full impact of Obamacare, and wont for a couple years, as I have said for the 3rd time, as you refuse to address, it will eventually bring costs down. This is so multifaceted, I really dont want to take the time to try and explain it to you because it is obvious because of your hate for Obama you will refuse to look at anything and see it as the positive it will be. I didnt vote for Obama, and I wont in 2012, but there are some very good things in this bill that will truly benefit all Americans including yourself. So its not like Im some big liberal who is taking up for Obama, I am conservative/moderate.

Contrary to what you have been told, the health insurance industry does not rake in big profits now. When government starts dictating how they must run their businesses, how do you think that is going to cause their profits to go up? How can you insure 30 million additional people, cut the growth of premium costs, add many layers of government bureaucracy to the process, and not cut the quality of care? It does not make any sense and it never has.

Where have you ever seen government get involved in private business (aside from a few anti-trust actions), consumers reap lower costs and better service, and companies become more profitable? I don't recall it ever happening in my lifetime.

Hundreds of elected representatives in Congress voted for Obamacare without even reading the bill. Obama signed it without reading it. What gives you so much confidence that the law is going to work miracles when we don't even know who drafted the law?
lawrencefan Wrote:If your going to cover preexisting conditions, then why have insurance at all? Just wait till you get sick and go by a policy. It's like buying life insurance after your dead!
:Thumbs: Great analogy! :1:
Just so you all know, most insurance companies already cover pre-existing conditions.

But judging by what you all have to say about the subject, if some kid in college, who is to old for his parents insurance, yet, is a hardworker, makes good grades, will eventually be successful. If he develops cancer I guess we should just kick him to the curb and watch him die right?

The bottom line is, if we dont have the insurace companies cover pre-existing conditions, then we end up paying for it anyways. Because they are still going to get treatment at the hospital, and the hospital is going to pass those costs onto the insured, which is us. So either way you will be paying for it.
Beetle01 Wrote:Just so you all know, most insurance companies already cover pre-existing conditions.

But judging by what you all have to say about the subject, if some kid in college, who is to old for his parents insurance, yet, is a hardworker, makes good grades, will eventually be successful. If he develops cancer I guess we should just kick him to the curb and watch him die right?

The bottom line is, if we dont have the insurace companies cover pre-existing conditions, then we end up paying for it anyways. Because they are still going to get treatment at the hospital, and the hospital is going to pass those costs onto the insured, which is us. So either way you will be paying for it.
That's true. We all pay for the deadbeats and those who are destitute through no fault of their own in one way or another. However, the difference is that Obamacare comes with a mandate that you shall buy health insurance with your own money and if you do not, the IRS will see that you do. Obamacare also comes with thousands of new bureaucrats (government union members) and somebody will be paying their salaries, benefits (including good health care coverage), and shiny new offices in which they will work.
Beetle01 Wrote:Thats to bad because if you would have you would have read where I explained how it would bring costs down. These companies operate off of a ratio. Meaning the average percentage of the people they insure that get sick will relatively stay the same no matter how many they insure. In actuality they will make more money if more people are insured, but they wont keep the same rates, they will drop to become more competitive for the increased consumer market of insurees. As more and more become insured and hospitals take less of a hit from uninsured people, their costs will go down, so the costs of the visit/procedure will also go down. There will be plenty of people with pre-existing conditions, no doubt, but currently those people are already draining on the HC industry with no insurance, and driving up the price anyways, insuring them is not going to be a bad thing.

So tell me what will happen when we provide more people with health care? They will consume more health care. That will cause the demand for health care to go up. That will cause the supply and availablity of health care to go down. When demand is increased and supply is decreased price goes up. The government will have to really start recruiting doctors.
Matman Wrote:So tell me what will happen when we provide more people with health care? They will consume more health care. That will cause the demand for health care to go up. That will cause the supply and availablity of health care to go down. When demand is increased and supply is decreased price goes up. The government will have to really start recruiting doctors.

As it is now, if we let things stay the same, the cost of HC will continue to rise as it has been for a decade, way before "Obamacare". We will pay more and more money for less and less coverage.

So you start at the root cause of this increase, which is too many uninsured people. These people already seek healthcare, so having them insured is not going to cause the demand to go up. My point is we already pay for them, why not do it in a way that will decrease our own costs? Will also allow for more well paying jobs, with good benefits. Is everything in the bill good? Not in my opinion, there are things I dont like. However, I think the rewards outway the cons in this instance.
A girl I work with told me today that as of January 1st, she will not be drawing any money at all on her check due to the amount she has to pay for her health insurance! She does what is called "parent plus" thru Humana and her entire payday will be going towards HER PART of paying for her insurance!!! Oh, and just so ya know, she works in the education field! No raises on the payday but sure are rate hikes flying out everywhere else!!! Insurance, electric bills, water bills, auto insurance... A working person doesn't have a chance!

If you need assistance feel free to e-mail me at:
[email=phs1986@bluegrassrivals.com]phs1986@bluegrassrivals.com[/email]
Beetle01 Wrote:As it is now, if we let things stay the same, the cost of HC will continue to rise as it has been for a decade, way before "Obamacare". We will pay more and more money for less and less coverage.

So you start at the root cause of this increase, which is too many uninsured people. These people already seek healthcare, so having them insured is not going to cause the demand to go up. My point is we already pay for them, why not do it in a way that will decrease our own costs? Will also allow for more well paying jobs, with good benefits. Is everything in the bill good? Not in my opinion, there are things I dont like. However, I think the rewards outway the cons in this instance.

What all is in the bill? Nice that we have the only person in America that knows everything in it right here on BGR. Please tell Beetle.
I'll be the first to admit that I don't know much about everything going on. But I do know that since someone went in office I have developed a co-pay, I have to pay monthly to be on a company policy, my 5 dollar for name brand prescriptions has jumped to 40 dollars or so an item, and I still cant afford to go to a doctor. I'm a type 1 diabetic and have been for 27 years. This is the worst I've ever seen as far as coverages vs premiums go
I'm in love with Tawnya.. hehe..

Tom is not my friend....

if you have any questions send me a p.m.
Beetle01 Wrote:As it is now, if we let things stay the same, the cost of HC will continue to rise as it has been for a decade, way before "Obamacare". We will pay more and more money for less and less coverage.

Well this is where we differ. I think we drastically need an overhaul of our HC system. However I do not believe it is purely due to the uninsured. It comes down to the bloated salaries of Insurance companies, overpaid doctors, pill mills, law suits, and a lack of self responsibility. Our nation is full of over weight and obese individuals. We are a nation of high risk citizens. We eat fast food, drink gallons of soda, and sit on our butts all day. Then we wonder why we pay so much for health care. Its because we don't care about our health. I know hospitals charge what insurance will pay. It can be different from patient to patient depending on their insurance. They do this because you have people deciding what is needed and what is not needed that do not have a clue about treatment. Before I got an MRI on my back they dad to do an Xray. They even said the xray will not show anything that I needed an MRI. But they had to do it because the insurance company required it. That is just crazy.
Matman Wrote:Well this is where we differ. I think we drastically need an overhaul of our HC system. However I do not believe it is purely due to the uninsured. It comes down to the bloated salaries of Insurance companies, overpaid doctors, pill mills, law suits, and a lack of self responsibility. Our nation is full of over weight and obese individuals. We are a nation of high risk citizens. We eat fast food, drink gallons of soda, and sit on our butts all day. Then we wonder why we pay so much for health care. Its because we don't care about our health. I know hospitals charge what insurance will pay. It can be different from patient to patient depending on their insurance. They do this because you have people deciding what is needed and what is not needed that do not have a clue about treatment. Before I got an MRI on my back they dad to do an Xray. They even said the xray will not show anything that I needed an MRI. But they had to do it because the insurance company required it. That is just crazy.

I dont disagree with anything you said. I dont like all the extra red tape that will be added in. I dont like to mandate people buy their own insurance. I do like employers having to provide HC to all employees whether full time or not. If you cant afford to run your business with full time employees and provide them with HC, then you have a fail business plan.
Beetle01 Wrote:I dont disagree with anything you said. I dont like all the extra red tape that will be added in. I dont like to mandate people buy their own insurance. I do like employers having to provide HC to all employees whether full time or not. If you cant afford to run your business with full time employees and provide them with HC, then you have a fail business plan.
Who do you think is going to pay for all of the IRS agents and other bureaucrats that it will take to enforce the punitive parts of Obamacare? As for companies who do not provide part time employees with health care coverage having a "fail" business plan, that is just a ridiculous statement to make. I don't think that Wal-Mart, McDonalds, and practically every major retail employer in this country have fail business plans. Do you really believe so?

By forcing companies that do not currently provide health care coverage to all employees, Obamacare will: a) reduce the number of employees in the private sector and b) increase the prices those companies charge customers. This is just one of the many hidden costs of Obamacare. Obamacare's individual mandate is nothing but a huge, mostly hidden tax increase. That is why Democrats were just tossed from elected office in historic numbers. That is also why no conservatives who I know support this assault on personal liberty.
Beetle01 Wrote:I dont disagree with anything you said. I dont like all the extra red tape that will be added in. I dont like to mandate people buy their own insurance. I do like employers having to provide HC to all employees whether full time or not. If you cant afford to run your business with full time employees and provide them with HC, then you have a fail business plan.
So you don't like to mandate that people must buy their own insurance, but you have no problem with government mandating that their employer pay for it???? I don't understand this.

I am a firm believer that an employer should provide one thing to their employees...A paycheck...A good days pay for a good days work. What a wild concept that is huh.
SKINNYPIG Wrote:So you don't like to mandate that people must buy their own insurance, but you have no problem with government mandating that their employer pay for it???? I don't understand this.

I am a firm believer that an employer should provide one thing to their employees...A paycheck...A good days pay for a good days work. What a wild concept that is huh.
:Thumbs: Employees pay for their own health care coverage either way, just as we pay for our own holidays and vacations unless we work as independent contractors.
Then we have hit a cross roads, you all find it ok for multi-billion dollar corporations to hire people only part time and pay them low wages and offer no benefits so that they can make 70billion a year instead of 69.5billion.

If you want this country to turn around a few things need to happen imo

Repeal the 17th amendment.
Secure the borders.
Kick out the illegals.
Do away with all free trade agreements
Mandate employer provided health insurance.

Kicking out the illegals will reduce costs on HC and states.
Madating employer provided helth insurance will reduce health care costs for all- To think that this will cause a drastic increase in prices for consumer shows you have no knowledge of basic economics.

Doing away with free trade will keep companies from shipping our jobs overseas for what basically amounts to slave labor, and bring jobs back, strengthening the dollar.

Repealing the 17th amendment will reduce the power of the Federal Govt, and put a lot more power back in the states hands.

If something doesnt happen, our markets will crash again in the next few years, and there will be no stopping it. It should have already happened and it wouldnt have been nearly as bad, and we would be recovering, but now it is set up to be a catastrophe. 30-40% unemployment, the world will dump the dollar, and for atleast the rest of our lives, things are not going to be good. We have no manufacturing jobs to fall back on, we are purely a consumer market, and when the dollar fails, so will our country.
Also, most hospitals are already on the brink of failure, something has to happen to stabilize them or its not going to matter if you have insurance or not.
I would continue debating the issue with you, Beetle, but you don't seem willing to respond to any reasonable questions. Bureaucracy comes with its own price tag and our children and grandchildren will pay for it. You claim you are a conservative while advocating big government programs like Obamacare. Big government programs get paid for through high taxes, poor services, and borrowed money. These are not the tools of choice for the conservative.
My premiums have gone up but the quality of my plan has gone down. I now have a deductable that I did not have before. One of my coworkers needs surgery but she cannot afford the deductable at this time so she is skipping the surgery. Sad.
So, people are paying more to get less? This helps how? Anyone care to help me understand the concept??
We've always been told that we needed Obamacare so everyone would have health insurance. This is for everyone (lucky us) except for the President and members of congress. Here's an interesting fact to date 733 companies have been granted waviers and of the first 225 companies that were granted waviers 45 were labor organizations, who supported Obamacare.

Just one week after Republicans on Capitol Hill announced plans to investigate health care reform waivers granted to certain companies and labor organizations, President Obama’s Department of Health and Human Services announced additional waivers for more than 500 other groups.

As we’ve noted, the HHS has granted temporary waivers that exempt organizations who might not be able to meet the health care law’s new requirement for annual coverage. The new waivers exponentially increase the previous number of waivers — 222. Now, according to the HHS website, 733 organizations are exempt from the law’s new regulations, now totaling more than 2 million Americans.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/hhs-trip...vestigate/