Poll: Who wins ?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Belfry
65.38%
Ashland
34.62%
* You voted for this item.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Belfry @ Ashland 10/5
tomcat4life Wrote:At Ashland if a child fails, is held back or repeats the 7th or 8th grade for any reason then they are not allowed to participate in any sport.

For that year.
Personally there is no regulation at the middle school level. I know when I was at verity I had two kids in my class that played for fairview and would wear there fairview jerseys on gameday. So no one really cares which is why you see dominate middle school programs not translating to high school. Im sure belfry has some hold backs and while all the kids at verity my years there were kids I grew up with. I'm sure it has happened there a well. Point is it isn't a big deal and really has no impact on future games. I don't even look at results until a teams freshman year.
tomcat4life Wrote:That's nice a Belfry 8th grade with 14 holdbacks with 4 of them being there 3rd year in the 8th grade and 2 other players that Belfry parents didn't know because those 2 weren't in the 8th grade. That info came from Belfry parents. One kid got in the truck and drove off after the game. Yep that's real nice.

:lmao:
Should be entertaining game between 2 teams seperated by many miles but are connected by a few of the cheerleaders an players 2 of belfrys players Sani an Trinity have girlfriend that cheers for Ashland an were both at Ashlands Homecoming dance Saturday Night an by all accounts they had a great timealong with everyone else. Both are good kids great players an friends of my son an get along with all the players, makes for an interesting storyline going into this game. Not so much of a bitter rivalry just a good game with good sportsmanship. But when time comes to buckle those chinstraps it'll be business as usual for both teams. Should be a slobberknocker!
Honestly, stuff like this is ruining BGR. Talking nonsense. I am an assistant coach at BMS, and I know who has held back.. 14 is an absolutely ridiculous number. Now I have heard but CANNOT PROVE that Pike Central has that many holdbacks, but I can CERTAINLY tell you Belfry does not. We do not have a single double holdback OR a kid on our team who doesn't meet the eligibility requirements (15 before August 1st) ... also at the time that we played Verity we had two lineman starting as 8th graders who were 12, so that really doesn't matter. There are so many middle schools in the Ashland area that middle school success will not translate in those areas because they all end up at different high schools whereas Belfry Middle students always move on exclusively to BHS. There is absolutely no need for sour grapes about that 7th and 8th grade games and no place for acting like that. No kid drives home, either, if they did I wouldn't have to take them home all the time as I do.

As for this game, I cannot wait! Putnam is my favorite stadium KY that has never housed Belfry, and it is an electric environment. Unlike the last time we played there, Belfry has a pretty solid team this year and Ashland does too which makes for an exciting ballgame. I don't know about Ashland's speed but we looked at one of the fastest (Probably the fastest, no lie) back in the state for Henry Clay, #6 Elijah Bell. Seeing that is always a good test and learning experience. I'm excited to see what happens on Friday. Win or lose Belfry learns from this football game and it makes us better and the same for Ashland which is exactly why these two schedule each other. See all you Tomcats on Friday, and good luck!

I don't ever pick against my team, so I'm gonna say 20-12 Belfry.
Belfry0304 Wrote:Honestly, stuff like this is ruining BGR. Talking nonsense. I am an assistant coach at BMS, and I know who has held back.. 14 is an absolutely ridiculous number. Now I have heard but CANNOT PROVE that Pike Central has that many holdbacks, but I can CERTAINLY tell you Belfry does not. We do not have a single double holdback OR a kid on our team who doesn't meet the eligibility requirements (15 before August 1st) ... also at the time that we played Verity we had two lineman starting as 8th graders who were 12, so that really doesn't matter. There are so many middle schools in the Ashland area that middle school success will not translate in those areas because they all end up at different high schools whereas Belfry Middle students always move on exclusively to BHS. There is absolutely no need for sour grapes about that 7th and 8th grade games and no place for acting like that. No kid drives home, either, if they did I wouldn't have to take them home all the time as I do.

As for this game, I cannot wait! Putnam is my favorite stadium KY that has never housed Belfry, and it is an electric environment. Unlike the last time we played there, Belfry has a pretty solid team this year and Ashland does too which makes for an exciting ballgame. I don't know about Ashland's speed but we looked at one of the fastest (Probably the fastest, no lie) back in the state for Henry Clay, #6 Elijah Bell. Seeing that is always a good test and learning experience. I'm excited to see what happens on Friday. Win or lose Belfry learns from this football game and it makes us better and the same for Ashland which is exactly why these two schedule each other. See all you Tomcats on Friday, and good luck!

I don't ever pick against my team, so I'm gonna say 20-12 Belfry.
Really the only schools that see a solid change if students are Ashland and Boyd. Then Russell,Greenup and Raceland change a lot. But most of those kids dont come to Ashland or Boyd and most of ours don't go there. You will see some Ashland kids end up at fairview as well.
Belfry is good, but not good enough to beat a solid Tomcat team. Ashland 24-14
Twitter: @tc_analytics

tomcatfan722000 Wrote:Really the only schools that see a solid change if students are Ashland and Boyd. Then Russell,Greenup and Raceland change a lot. But most of those kids dont come to Ashland or Boyd and most of ours don't go there. You will see some Ashland kids end up at fairview as well.

I figured a few of them changed quite a bit, plus players improve under better HS coaching. Baker didn't attend Verity last year if I remember correctly?
Belfry0304 Wrote:I figured a few of them changed quite a bit, plus players improve under better HS coaching. Baker didn't attend Verity last year if I remember correctly?

Yes he left verity on Christmas break 7th grade year an came back in first week of march this year 2012 an finished 8th grade at verity. In total he was gone for second half one year an little better that half the next. But has been every step of the way with my son since kindergarten through now save for the brief
"walk-a-bout" in middle school.
For what it is worth, I can vouch for Belfry0304 and his credentials. I knew there were a few holdbacks but no where near as many as was alleged. You can take what Belfry0304 says to the bank on this, he definitely knows what he is talking about and he is giving an authoritative honest answer here.

I realize what I say may mean little to nothing, but I wanted to state all that for the record.
Does anybody really care what happened or who won a middle school game where you should be trying to develope as many players as possible?
FBALL Wrote:Does anybody really care what happened or who son a middle school game where you should be trying to develope as many players as possible?

Exactly. But hey if the belfry fans wanna talk about middle school cause they know they aren't going to win on Friday I guess it's ok. Just kidding pirates.
tomcatfan722000 Wrote:Exactly. But hey if the belfry fans wanna talk about middle school cause they know they aren't going to win on Friday I guess it's ok. Just kidding pirates.

The Ashland fan is the one upset over it. I'm just hoping Belfry beats Ashland just like the middle school did. :biggrin: All in jest my friend. I'll drop the middle school talk. Just trying to bring to light the wrong info from your tomcat brethren. I honestly earlier in thread stated I thought Ashland had a more than slight advantage in game.
Hey, football is bright in Belfry right now, our BMS team and BHS teams have combined for a 13-1 record so far this year! Hopefully it'll be 16-1 if BMS can take care of county and BHS can put a L on those Tomcats Friday. No easy task, however. I'd love to watch a game tape of Ashland.
Buc-a-roo Wrote:For what it is worth, I can vouch for Belfry0304 and his credentials. I knew there were a few holdbacks but no where near as many as was alleged. You can take what Belfry0304 says to the bank on this, he definitely knows what he is talking about and he is giving an authoritative honest answer here.

I realize what I say may mean little to nothing, but I wanted to state all that for the record.

Thanks buddy, I'm not sure who you are but thanks for backing me up! Lol
which is the best way to get to putnam stadium from belfry?
Crossbones Wrote:The Ashland fan is the one upset over it. I'm just hoping Belfry beats Ashland just like the middle school did. :biggrin: All in jest my friend. I'll drop the middle school talk. Just trying to bring to light the wrong info from your tomcat brethren. I honestly earlier in thread stated I thought Ashland had a more than slight advantage in game.
Of course gotta have something to go back in forth in what has become a friendly rivalry.
Ashland 24

Belfry 14
tomcatfan722000 Wrote:Of course gotta have something to go back in forth in what has become a friendly rivalry.

I agree. One of the things that makes this game so fun is all of the support these two communities have for their schools and kids... I actually was never a Belfry Middle School player, that school came along a few years after me, I was a Runyon Raider in middle school :1:l
If Belfry loses this game you can kiss their chances of getting to the state title game goodbye.
Belfry0304 Wrote:Thanks buddy, I'm not sure who you are but thanks for backing me up! Lol
No problem. And you just think you don't know me Wink
PirateInAshland Wrote:I agree. One of the things that makes this game so fun is all of the support these two communities have for their schools and kids... I actually was never a Belfry Middle School player, that school came along a few years after me, I was a Runyon Raider in middle school :1:l

Me too, Runyon Raiders represent! Lol.
PirateInAshland Wrote:I agree. One of the things that makes this game so fun is all of the support these two communities have for their schools and kids...

I agree, and sadly we are a dying breed. Belfry and Ashland are two of those special places where there is an abundance of support from the community and everyone is invested in some way to the school, team, players, etc. Players are from long lines of family members who have worn the same jersey. The town shuts down on Friday nights and everyone still gets chill bumps when the fight song plays. Nothing like high school football in a small town.
WideRight05 Wrote:If Belfry loses this game you can kiss their chances of getting to the state title game goodbye.

Naw, it wont mean a thing. The road in 3A is not all that difficult and this is a good Belfry team. It wouldn't surprise me to see them throttle Ashland..
Belfry0304 Wrote:Me too, Runyon Raiders represent! Lol.

Then you would probably know the Jones family in Stone. We have produced quite a few players over the generations. :Thumbs:
Bob Seger Wrote:Naw, it wont mean a thing. The road in 3A is not all that difficult and this is a good Belfry team. It wouldn't surprise me to see them throttle Ashland..

Throttle isn't gonna happen.
tomcatfan722000 Wrote:Throttle isn't gonna happen.
Oh I forgot, you got Bobby Kouns wearing the stripes for this one?:biggrin:

Just as good a chance of it happening as not. This is a pretty good Belfry team.
Bob Seger Wrote:Oh I forgot, you got Bobby Kouns wearing the stripes for this one?:biggrin:

Just as good a chance of it happening as not. This is a pretty good Belfry team.

No doubt but this is a very good Ashland defense that alone will keep the game close. And if bobby kouns is the official then god help everyone involved. I've never seen that man liked by any fan base anywhere. He is the only official that can make it feel like both teams got screwed.
tomcatfan722000 Wrote:No doubt but this is a very good Ashland defense that alone will keep the game close. And if bobby kouns is the official then god help everyone involved. I've never seen that man liked by any fan base anywhere. He is the only official that can make it feel like both teams got screwed.

haha....Bobby was doin it 40 years ago when I played. We called him Porter Waggoner back then. I'm sure you're way too young to ever see the frizz job he wore . Heck, you probably dont even know who Porter Waggoner was.:yikes:
Bob Seger Wrote:haha....Bobby was doin it 40 years ago when I played. We called him Porter Waggoner back then. I'm sure you're way too young to ever see the frizz job he wore . Heck, you probably dont even know who Porter Waggoner was.:yikes:

I've heard the name porter Waggoner that's about it. I will say this for bobby he sure does make the crowd fired up