Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can anyone play with Cordia????
I think him and Brandon are twins.
Just because they throw on a Cordia jersey doesn't automatically make them a top player. Justice does more Knott than score. He's been a limited ball handler, but he is a facilitator as well. His freshman year he made plays for others all the time when he was needed to score so much. So just because he is asked to do more scoring doesn't mean that's what's he's limited to. Hines skills are raw and I'm not required to believe he or Cunningham are the best two players in the region. Talent doesn't always win out, Cordia will beat Knott this year at some point simply because of the amount of times they can potentially run into each other. They have 2 district games, district tourney, regional tourney, wymt and I believe they play in the same lexington tournament. Lets play a game before we give it to cordia...
Just because you are getting college looks doesn't make your team unbeatable. Anthony Davis' prospectives HS team was awful with him on the team.
Mix1 Wrote:Knotts new player is more than capable of running a team. Was Bath's best player,, shot around 50% from three. If anything they'll be better than last year. Still a short bench but foul trouble was never a problem last year,, shouldn't be this year.

Mix1...
Best player on A 11-20 team?????
Would love to see Cordia's traveling circus this year.
harvey updike Wrote:Best player on A 11-20 team?????

Lead Bath in scoring and shot around 50% from three. Not sure what your point is here. Only point I can see is he's a great player on a sucky team. He's a great complimentary player for Cam.

Mix1...
I hate to say this folks but I believe this with all my heart. If most of these kids at Cordia were white kids there would not be that much of an out cry from some people in the region. Of coarse the top schools in the region have had kids transfer in for years. So why is it a big deal now! Some people in Eastern Ky think that it is going to hurt their kids chances when Coach Rhodes brings in these African American kids and any other kids for that matter. In the world that we live in today and things that some of these kids go through on a daily basis is unimagineable. I worked at a boot camp for juvenile boys for 7 years and witnessed first hand some of the struggles of todays youth. Don't get me wrong I'm not saying that these are troubled kids either because I only know one of the kids personally. But if a coach or a community can give any kid a better chance to make something out of their lives through sports or education we should salute them instead of take offense. In my short time living in this part of Ky, I have never seen the rush of Div I colleges coming to this area looking for talent until Rhodes came here along with the 22 Feet Academy that was in Breathitt Co for a short time. As a parent of a kid whom is an all around athelete that plays basketball,baseball and football, I love the fact that the coaches are coming into this area for whatever the reasons. This my friends is only going to gain exposure for the other kids in this area who may have never got the chance to be discovered in the first place! So while people are up in arms about Cordia, do like I do. Tell your kid/kids that no matter what, that he or she has to put in the work and I do mean work to make it to where they wanna be or go! Kids in Eastern Ky need to learn the value of work hard in sports and not have everything give to them because of politics or mommy and daddy have a little money! That's unless he whole goals is just to be a local hero. The talent gets tougher people once you get out of the mountains! So the more competions the better our kids get! The more exposure, the better all of our kids chances. THINK ABOUT IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ballstar Wrote:Alright. I have to step in on this deal w/ Hines. Hines is a very nice step out 4 that's shoots it pretty good. He is NOT the best player in the state, not even close. I watch him and Johnson go at it this summer at KBA. Hines is not very athletic, doesn't have a great motor and is a little bit soft on the post. Since you know so much about him Harvey then you should b able to get score sheet from that game. I know Cordia will b better than they were at KBA but if I recall the score was PCC up about 24 w/ 2mins left n game. The player that will help Cordia most is Cunningham. You will see that he is the best player on this team and is a kid already from KY. Let's see how close I am about Jan.

If you seen Malik play this summer, you seen a player that hadn't picked up a basketball since February due to elbow surgery. A broken elbow imo probably isn't to easy to come back from. The kid has just now got back into basketball shape and says his elbow finally doesn't irritate him anymore. The kid is the real deal. And has just picked up a full ride from Ohio State. We'll see how close you are come January.
KHSAA12 Wrote:If you seen Malik play this summer, you seen a player that hadn't picked up a basketball since February due to elbow surgery. A broken elbow imo probably isn't to easy to come back from. The kid has just now got back into basketball shape and says his elbow finally doesn't irritate him anymore. The kid is the real deal. And has just picked up a full ride from Ohio State. We'll see how close you are come January.

Guys at the next level getting paid to evaluate talent passing on Johnson to watch Hines? I thought the best player in the mountains in the modern era was playing for Pcc this season? :biglmao:
Maybe the transfers will help their tests scores improve.
How on earth do you know any kids test scores? You are a fool.
Julian Tackett, Commisioner of the KHSAA, really dropped the ball on this one. Getting Rhodes to come to Lotts Creek and coach Cordia was fishy enough but then Rhodes getting all these recruits, especially a Nationally ranked Top 100 talent from Jackson, Mississippi in Malik Hines. I just wonder whose hands the money has been exchanging through..
I find it hilarious that PCC has been out recruited.
Easy Wind Wrote:How on earth do you know any kids test scores? You are a fool.

I would re-read what he said, think about it....and try again.
Easy Wind Wrote:How on earth do you know any kids test scores? You are a fool.
Been called a lot worse. I do know the scores of children that I have taught. The transfers of Cordia will hopefully bolster their overall test scores at the school. They were ranked one of the bottom 10 in the state according to the recent release By KDE. Fool's gold is one of Rick Pitino's favorite quotes alluding to false assumptions made by so-called aficionados.
I still believe Knott will be at Rupp.
Cordia will have a great team if all of the transfers are eligible, but by no means necessary are they anywhere on the level of Oak Hill Academy or Huntington Prep. I do not think it would be unreasonable to list them as a top 5 team in the state if all of the transfers are indeed eligible, but to say that this will be a top 20 team in the country is a little too much.

Another thing: Johnson and Hines are both great players, but Hines is the better long-term prospect because he has the one quality which cannot be taught: size. He's 6'10", Johnson is 6'5", and they play the same position. Hines looked much better before he got hurt. He'll look a lot better when he is back to full strength. Point is, they're both great players and D1 level talents, however, Hines has a much better chance of being a high D1 because of his size for the position along with his ability.

Hines has also proved himself against elite-level competition. Down in Mississippi, the high school he went to was a rival of Calloway High School, which is where the #1 player in the Class of 2015 plays at (Malik Newman).
UKisN1 Wrote:Maybe the transfers will help their tests scores improve.
Cordia's was better than KCC, and Perry County had a state educator last year. Only time will tell.
E's Army Wrote:Would love to see Cordia's traveling circus this year.

Your exactly right it will be a circus.
HDE Wrote:I think some of you are getting confused about potential and performance.
I'm sure they think they have the potential to be very good college players. I know what I saw though, and that was Cordia getting run off the court at the AAU competition. Johnson was a much, much more polished player than anyone Cordia had. The same was true for Beverly compared to the Cordia guards.
Perhaps the Cordia guys (the new transfers) have not had very good coaching to this point and weren't very disciplined either. I'm sure the college coaches will look more at what kind of players they can become.

HDE I do not believe anybody over there has a clue what Cordia roster will look like and in my opinion it will look different after Xmas than it did October 15th and will look different come district time than it did after Xmas .
Pure and simple: if you're going to operate as a prep school, you shouldn't be eligible to play in your state association against actual high school teams.

See Huntington Prep, Oak Hill, et cetera. You cannot in any way, shape, or form make any case other than that these kids are transferring to Cordia for purposes other than basketball. They're not coming for the education (obviously). They're not coming for exposure.

Nobody is saying they shouldn't be able to come play at Cordia from Texas and Canada and wherever. But they shouldn't be competing in the KHSAA; they should be competing against other programs operating as basketball prep schools like themselves.
Cordia is becoming the new 22ft academy.. I have nothing against what they're doing,, but if you are having a turn over ratio like UK,, then you need to play with the prep schools. Actually would get more exposure,, seemingly what the kids want.

Mix1...
The only reason people are crying is there school got out recruited.
Keep thinking that,, sure it makes you feel all cozy n warm inside and brings out your knowledge. Nobody is crying,, just stating the obvious.

Mix1...
Diogenes Wrote:Pure and simple: if you're going to operate as a prep school, you shouldn't be eligible to play in your state association against actual high school teams.

See Huntington Prep, Oak Hill, et cetera. You cannot in any way, shape, or form make any case other than that these kids are transferring to Cordia for purposes other than basketball. They're not coming for the education (obviously). They're not coming for exposure.

Nobody is saying they shouldn't be able to come play at Cordia from Texas and Canada and wherever. But they shouldn't be competing in the KHSAA; they should be competing against other programs operating as basketball prep schools like themselves.

Don't do that, don't take a shot at education at Cordia. I received a great education at Cordia, there are three students at UK from Cordia and two of them are on full academic scholarships. There are good teachers there, that's a fact!
Cordia will be tough.
Test Scores released last Friday
1 - Hazard - Proficient/Progressing +1.0
2 - Perry Central - Needs Improvement/Progressing +14
3 - Cordia - Needs Improvement/Progressing +7.6
4 - Knott Central - Needs Improvement -2.6
Until the KHSAA does something about this, it is perfectly fine. I'm not saying I'm against or for it, but since the head people allow it to happen, it must be fine. All that talent may not mesh well and they may not live up to expectations.
WALL2WALL Wrote:Don't do that, don't take a shot at education at Cordia. I received a great education at Cordia, there are three students at UK from Cordia and two of them are on full academic scholarships. There are good teachers there, that's a fact!

I'm not saying there aren't good teachers there, or that a few kids can't make it out of there and do well, but their state academic performance overall is bottom tier. What I am saying is that if you are a talented basketball player looking for a good school system in a small town to further your education, and you're apparently looking across the country for someplace to further your education and help yourself get prepared for college, there are many choices that make more sense than Cordia on paper. So you cannot defensibly claim they're coming to Lotts Creek to learn. They're coming because someone is interested in making it into a prep school basketball factory, and this doesn't happen without somebody directing them there. And usually that involves money changing hands at some level.
I feel bad for the players that have lived and played in Cordia their whole lives. No way will they see the floor now.