Poll: Which district wins the title in '07?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
3A-District 1
0%
District 2
0%
District 3
0%
District 4
0%
District 5
0%
District 6
0%
district 7
50.00%
District 8
50.00%
* You voted for this item.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Class 3A in '07--Who Challanges for the title?
DEVILOLOGIST Wrote:Russell returns alot,, Belfry will be tough,,,, CORBIN has promise and SC too.

Hey brother corbin will be staying 2A next year and i think they take it all in 2A:redboxer: :redboxer: :redboxer: :redboxer:
red devils rule Wrote:Well it will Be Russell who has the bullseye on there back again,back to back state chamionship games come out on top in 05' and should of came out on top in 06' but we will leave that one along,Russell is my team and i think that we play Belfry again.
Russell is a quality team, and so is Belfry, but they really have not done anything that Breathitt hasn't already done, so I really do not think that Belfry and Russell are the best programs in EKY, just the best in the last several seasons. Breathitt, Belfry, and Russell....as well as other top teams will have a bullseye on them and will get their opponants best effort IMO.
Twitter: @tc_analytics

TheBrahmaBull Wrote:Russell is a quality team, and so is Belfry, but they really have not done anything that Breathitt hasn't already done, so I really do not think that Belfry and Russell are the best programs in EKY, just the best in the last several seasons. Breathitt, Belfry, and Russell....as well as other top teams will have a bullseye on them and will get their opponants best effort IMO.

I agree with you 100%.:rockon: four of the last five state titles if I'm correct.
I am hearing that Paducah Tilghman is going to be be tough in the western part of the state.

RedDevilStXIUFan Wrote:I agree with you 100%.:rockon: four of the last five state titles if I'm correct.
The way I see it, the more teams that can contend for the title, the better the playoffs will be. I am not attempting to disrespect the programs, but Breathitt will be just as good as Russell and Belfry and past results against these teams usually go Breathitt's direction when they are at similar strengths.

TheBrahmaBull Wrote:The way I see it, the more teams that can contend for the title, the better the playoffs will be. I am not attempting to disrespect the programs, but Breathitt will be just as good as Russell and Belfry and past results against these teams usually go Breathitt's direction when they are at similar strengths.

Russell, Belfry and Breathitt have been fairly even since the early 1980s. Breathitt had an advantage in the late 90s and the last game between Breathitt and Russell was the 28-27 win by Breathitt in the 02 state semis. Since then it has been Russell or Belfry. To say usually go Breathitts way would imply that they win most of the time against these schools. That is false.
FBALL Wrote:Russell, Belfry and Breathitt have been fairly even since the early 1980s. Breathitt had an advantage in the late 90s and the last game between Breathitt and Russell was the 28-27 win by Breathitt in the 02 state semis. Since then it has been Russell or Belfry. To say usually go Breathitts way would imply that they win most of the time against these schools. That is false.
What are the records when these schools meet? I know Belfry has beaten Breathitt as many times as Breathitt has beaten them, but I am not sure of the record. The 2002 team really overachieved IMO......they were not expected to win regional title, much less the state title. They were terribly inconsistant in the regular season and I would argue that they were not the most talanted team. Bottom line is that Breathitt has shown that they certainly CAN beat Belfry and Russell when they play.....and with Breathitt returning what they are returning, they will play one or both in '07. As I have said before, the more teams that can challange for the title, the better the playoffs will be. Going back to what I said about Breathitt being able to beat Belfry and Russell, both of their teams CAN beat Breathitt also. I love going to the games between the teams because of the effort and passion that the teams show.

I think that russell will be the team to beat, we will definatley be coming back determened and ready to play, we also return alot and even look better in some aspects of the game.As far as the line goes, we could very well possibly have the biggest line in the state.WOW.I think it will be Belfry/ Russell as usual
There is always one constant in life.....change!

Russell makes the trip up to Papa John's for the 3rd straight year and brings home some more hardware!!!!
TheBrahmaBull Wrote:What are the records when these schools meet? I know Belfry has beaten Breathitt as many times as Breathitt has beaten them, but I am not sure of the record. The 2002 team really overachieved IMO......they were not expected to win regional title, much less the state title. They were terribly inconsistant in the regular season and I would argue that they were not the most talanted team. Bottom line is that Breathitt has shown that they certainly CAN beat Belfry and Russell when they play.....and with Breathitt returning what they are returning, they will play one or both in '07. As I have said before, the more teams that can challange for the title, the better the playoffs will be. Going back to what I said about Breathitt being able to beat Belfry and Russell, both of their teams CAN beat Breathitt also. I love going to the games between the teams because of the effort and passion that the teams show.

Russell is 5-6 alltime against Breathitt. Breathitt has won the last three all in the playoffs and all during Breathitt's state championship seasons of 95,96 and 02. I know Russell won three in a row in the playoffs in 82,83, and 88. Im not sure on the rest of them. Russell is 12-8 all time against Belfry.

Saying any of these three CAN beat the other is absolutely right in most years. But the use of the word "usually" implies more often than not.

There have been some great games in the past between Russell and Breathitt and I'm sure there are some more playoff battles to come.
Russell and Breathitt played twice in '89 once in the regular season and once in the playoffs. Just a little information on the subject Breathitt won both times unfortunatly.
But that was when you played... no wonder they won....
Romans 14:11
It is written: " 'As surely as I live,' says the Lord, 'every knee will bow before me; every tongue will confess to God.' "
FBALL Wrote:Russell is 5-6 alltime against Breathitt. Breathitt has won the last three all in the playoffs and all during Breathitt's state championship seasons of 95,96 and 02. I know Russell won three in a row in the playoffs in 82,83, and 88. Im not sure on the rest of them. Russell is 12-8 all time against Belfry.

Saying any of these three CAN beat the other is absolutely right in most years. But the use of the word "usually" implies more often than not.

There have been some great games in the past between Russell and Breathitt and I'm sure there are some more playoff battles to come.
I was not able to make the 2002 game, but I heard it was a great game that Russell should have won. I remember the '89 game I think, did it not end with a missed extra point or field goal? I love watching the games because like I said before, both teams do their best.

TheBrahmaBull Wrote:I was not able to make the 2002 game, but I heard it was a great game that Russell should have won. I remember the '89 game I think, did it not end with a missed extra point or field goal? I love watching the games because like I said before, both teams do their best.

The 02 game ended in OT because of a missed extra point. The next week Breathitt beat Corbin 52-0 for the state championship. That one is particularly painful to alot of Russell fans because we felt that we should have had a state championship that year. Especially after beating a very very good Mason Co team led by Grutza and Lofton twice.
Im taking Russell...good football team.
FBALL Wrote:The 02 game ended in OT because of a missed extra point. The next week Breathitt beat Corbin 52-0 for the state championship. That one is particularly painful to alot of Russell fans because we felt that we should have had a state championship that year. Especially after beating a very very good Mason Co team led by Grutza and Lofton twice.
I knew that the 2002 game ended that way, but there were a couple games that were really close before that. I remember when I was younger watching a game that ended on a missed kick, I believe it may have been in the 3A playoffs.

*1978 Russell 27 Breathitt 6 AAA playoffs
1982 Russell 20 Breathitt 0 AAA playoffs
1983 Russell 7 Breathitt 6 AAA playoffs
1984 Russell 23 Breathitt 3 regular season
1988 Russell 13 Breathitt 8 AAA playoffs
1989 Breathitt 38 Russell 7 regular season
1989 Breathitt 21 Russell 18 AAA playoffs
1990 Breathitt 35 Russell 7 regular season
*1995 Breathitt 35 Russell 6 AA playoffs
*1996 Breathitt 20 Russell 14 AA playoffs
*2002 Breathitt 28 Russell 27 OT AA playoffs

* winner went on to win state championship
FBALL Wrote:*1978 Russell 27 Breathitt 6 AAA playoffs
1982 Russell 20 Breathitt 0 AAA playoffs
1983 Russell 7 Breathitt 6 AAA playoffs
1984 Russell 23 Breathitt 3 regular season
1988 Russell 13 Breathitt 8 AAA playoffs
1989 Breathitt 38 Russell 7 regular season
1989 Breathitt 21 Russell 18 AAA playoffs
1990 Breathitt 35 Russell 7 regular season
*1995 Breathitt 35 Russell 6 AA playoffs
*1996 Breathitt 20 Russell 14 AA playoffs
*2002 Breathitt 28 Russell 27 OT AA playoffs

* winner went on to win state championship
Thanks for the stats....I must be thinking of the 21-18 game in 1989.

and the 2002 game we went in at half time with a 27-7 lead
red devils rule Wrote:and the 2002 game we went in at half time with a 27-7 lead

That is incorrect. It was tied 21-21 at the end of regulation. Breathitt scored first in OT then Russell scored in 2 plays and missed the extra point.

I believe it was 21-7 after 3 quarters though. It was a very tough loss to take. Especially considering how Breathitt rolled the following week in the Title game.
If Russell looses in the final 4 the team that wins, wins state...... Check the stats but I think I am correct on this..
It is written: " 'As surely as I live,' says the Lord, 'every knee will bow before me; every tongue will confess to God.' "
FBALL Wrote:That is incorrect. It was tied 21-21 at the end of regulation. Breathitt scored first in OT then Russell scored in 2 plays and missed the extra point.

I believe it was 21-7 after 3 quarters though. It was a very tough loss to take. Especially considering how Breathitt rolled the following week in the Title game.
Breathitt has a bad habit of being underprepared compared to other teams, and I thought that Russell deserved to win this game because they were better prepared, but Breathitt did show they had heart by not giving up. Bad habit not being prepared in the playoffs, I hope they can find the winning equation again in '07.

TheBrahmaBull Wrote:Breathitt has a bad habit of being underprepared compared to other teams, and I thought that Russell deserved to win this game because they were better prepared, but Breathitt did show they had heart by not giving up. Bad habit not being prepared in the playoffs, I hope they can find the winning equation again in '07.

They definitely had heart. the two long passes that were up for grabs in the fourth quarter didn't hurt them either.
I think Russell has a chance to win this year.
You better get off your butts and get started if you guys are going to repeat...Weight training starts the first day you get back to school, spring practice will be here soon and then summer conditioning will be tough this year. I promise.!!!!!!
ttt

Interesting topic here...
i dont know yet.....
TheBrahmaBull Wrote:...As a Breathitt fan...

breathitt? c'mon dude we know you're from mercer