Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
6th Grade KBA State Tournament
What are some of the elite tournaments, that lead up to the state tournament, do u have to be invited to King of Bluegrass, etc
Laker Wrote:You may not want to throw stones since the 12 year old on your team that will be 13 in March is a "hold back" or a "start later", he just has a "bad sport birthday". CAL is not the "real 6th grade state champs". It's a shame that you would even say that.

Also, the kid that transferred from Oldham is a 6th grader. He repeated 6th grade this year, which is legal. This is the last year that any student can repeat a middle school grade and be eligible to play that year. Lincoln has NO 14 year olds. No player from Lincoln or Meece will be driving their 8th grade year.

I got an idea, let's just say congrats on a great tourney and to all the teams! Congrats again to the Meece Jumpers on being the state champions.
Congratulations to Meece. I am not familiar with any rules regarding "hold backs" but in the Louisville area most 6th graders turn 12 sometime during the school year not 13.
I guess you were not at the CAL / Meece game. The score was 45-41 Meece to start the 4th quarter.
Why is it that many of the rural schools have parents who hold back their kids? Yes, by the "letter" of the law you can hold them back a year. However, this rule is in place for those few kids who have developmental or academic deficiencies--not for good athletes to play an extra year against younger kids.
As an aside, as I was perusing the official tournament rules, if an "official" protest is to be requested, it must be done before the game in question with a "c-note" deposit. It is returned only if successful.

Can u say disincentivize???

Why not get official birth certs/ MS transcripts per team app? Only an extra 20 pieces of paper/ team. Then shred. That way there is TRANSPARENCY. Honestly, we had ours ready to go if requested.

Unless....no one wants it.....

Regardless, we are immensely proud of our young boys!! Kudos as well to Meece and #15!!
Is there a website with the team pics, all tournament team, etc?
I will send you a team picture of Meece and CAL together after the game. I have a great picture of the teams praying together also.
All tournament teams have been posted on KBA website
All-Tournament First Team
Kade Grundy - Meece Middle
Dakota Acey - Meece Middle
K. Sheron - Meece Middle
Chandler Strong - CAL
Brayden Daniels - CAL
Ethan Ginn - Conner
Matt Brown - Rosspoint
Walton - Campbell
Spencer Baird - Lincoln Co
Mason Moore - Paintsville
Sam Conley - Shelby East
All-Tournament Second Team
Raven Abner - Hacker
Boston Denove - Russell Co
Trey Stone - JCTMS
Luke Barr - West Jessamine
Connor Robinson - Manchester
Mason Hammonds - McNabb
Dezrich Lindsey - JTMS
Austin Griffin - Shelby East
Rodney Alcorn - Lincoln Co
Aaron Buckman - Owensboro Cath.
Honorable Mention
Deshawn Jackson - EJ Hayes
Ethan Wills - Jessie D Lay
Hunter Penn - Woodford Co
Walker Horn - LCA
Jake Whitlock - Spencer Co
Luke Stone - Morton
Donte Haynden - Bate
Bryson Barnard - Middlesboro
KJ Combs - Northern Pulaski
Who will release final team rankings?
These boys were also on honorable mention list
Aaron Buckman-Owensboro Cath
Connor Farmer- Manchester
Jake Gregg- Ashland
Kennedy Hayden -East Jessamine
Laker Wrote:These boys were also on honorable mention list
Aaron Buckman-Owensboro Cath
Connor Farmer- Manchester
Jake Gregg- Ashland
Kennedy Hayden -East Jessamine

Yes, they were on the honorable mention list. My cut and paste skills were a little off lol.
congrats to all the all state winners!
Great tourney for all. looking forward to this weekend's 7th graders! Hopefully no Snow!!!!!
if you think that is the only reason that people hold their kids back then that explains a lot. Parents have a CHOICE to hold their kid back or to start them later. It's not just for academic or developmental issues. It's not so athletes can play against younger kids either, that's crazy because to think that parents would do that for middle school sports bc in high school you will have to play against kids 4 years older when you are a freshman. It's not just rural either. Look at Trinity or St. X, I have had numerous friends with boys that go to those schools that are 19 when they graduate. It's just not rural and it's just not athletes. It's for various reasons at various socioeconomic levels. The rule is in place to allow for parental choices, it does not stipulate WHY so don't make assumptions.
Kids should not be graduating at the age of 19, and teams that have 13 yr old 6th graders playing against 11 yr olds in state tournaments is a joke! Meece had a transfer from Oldham Co that had no business being held back, the kid was a A and B student, transfers to Meece and they held him back for sports, don't say I'm wrong either, I know the family
If you think Meece is the only school with hold backs then you are mistaken. Most schools have hold backs playing for them which is legal. Schools with no hold backs are the minority. Maybe you can petition to be in a non hold back state tournament. That would consist of no more than 10 teams I suspect.
meece can not hold a kid back the parents had to do it. so fuss at the parents that you know so well.
Oldham fisherman Wrote:Kids should not be graduating at the age of 19, and teams that have 13 yr old 6th graders playing against 11 yr olds in state tournaments is a joke! Meece had a transfer from Oldham Co that had no business being held back, the kid was a A and B student, transfers to Meece and they held him back for sports, don't say I'm wrong either, I know the family

Who says kids shouldn't graduate at 19? Why? Your kid may not graduate at 19 but all of mine will. They are straight A students, athletes and non-athletes, but I want my kids under my roof for one more year.

I know the parents of the Meece kid too.
You are wrong, they didn't hold him back for sports but that's none of your business. They didn't move to the area because of work either, so you obviously know nothing of what you speak. Did they consult with you before they decided to hold him back? I'm sure they would love to have this discussion with you instead of you talking about their 13 year old on a public website. If you know them so well why didn't you have this discussion with them this past weekend? You would rather get on here to talk about their son? Please post on here when you get ready to talk to the Dad bc I definitely want to be around for that one!!:popcorn:
Have you notice that the losing teams at the KBA state championships always want to blame it on holdbacks. It is never the other was just better than us tonight. I've always told my kids when you win, do it with class, and when lose do it even classier.
Insideinfo, 13 yr olds should beat 11 yr olds all day everyday, come on dude
Laker, be honest and tell me how may hold backs are on Meece 6th grade team
Please stop making excuses for older kids or "hold backs". Meece has history with hold backs. I will leave it at that. If you are 13 in 6th grade play up on 7th grade team. Physical development difference from a 11-12 yr old to a 13 yr old is huge. It may be "legal" for 13 yr olds to play ball in 6th grade but you will never convince anyone that it is fare.
It must be crazy for any schools or parent to question the age of Meece players. Football 2013?????? Players transferring from OC playing on OC Tigers with current 7th graders last year.
Oldham fisherman Wrote:Laker, be honest and tell me how may hold backs are on Meece 6th grade team

I have no idea, there are hold backs on a lot of teams. But because Meece won this year and Northern Pulaski won 6th last year and Southern Pulaski Kids won 6th, 7th, and 8th 3 years in a row must be because they are hold backs? A lot more teams than you think have hold backs. CAL said one of their starters doesn't turn 13 until March, by definition, he's a hold back. That's a Louisville school, not rural. You're only complaining bc Meece and Lincoln did so well. I bet over half the teams there last weekend and this weekend have hold backs. It's part of the game. It's within the rules. No one is doing anything wrong other than allowing their kids another year at home to mature before they go to college. You don't know why these kids are held back. I don't know why they are all held back but it's a parental decision. Don't bash parents for wanting to spend another year with their kids.
Laker, It was a simple question, I wouldn't tell anyone either, heard they have 7 or more kids on that team that were held back, I'm sure all their parents had different reasons though.
We can bring our 14 and early 15 yr olds and play that bunch of 13 yr old and I promise we win 100 out of 100 games, but after the game I would tell my boys, guys they are 13, you should win, lol
I know the kids on Meece's team and the majority of the middle school players on teams in their area. This team has played together since they were in 1st-2nd grade. 2 kids held back last year and joined the team this year. 1 other kid held back the year before that and became a part of the team. They have a total of 3 kids that held back. Whoever told you they had 7 holdbacks must have been exaggerating about the size of their fish. But, then again this is the same discussion that happens every year after a team wins a state title. Welcome to sports....The place where there is always a reason why little Johnny didn't win a trophy. Congratulation to Meece on winning state.