•  Previous
  • 3(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2019 3A Preseason Rankings
smoke1015 Wrote:Yes sir, sure is. I heard he was a heck of a football player but his love was bball.

Guy was/is a highlight reel!
#55PirateFan Wrote:Do any of y'all remember the kid that played for South Oldam back then? He wore #5 and played QB, I believe. He was a stud as well. Damn near beat us by himself. He'll be going into his senior year.

That was Keaton Martin. He wasn’t their QB, but they played him in a lot of wildcat vs Belfry. He has been a big time player at south Oldham ever since his freshman year. Parker just wasn’t a fan of school, and made the decision to graduate early. He would’ve had college possibilities, but wasn’t in his plans. Can’t fault a kid for that. He knew what he wanted to do after school and wanted to get a start on that.
goBIGblue82 Wrote:That was Keaton Martin. He wasn’t their QB, but they played him in a lot of wildcat vs Belfry. He has been a big time player at south Oldham ever since his freshman year. Parker just wasn’t a fan of school, and made the decision to graduate early. He would’ve had college possibilities, but wasn’t in his plans. Can’t fault a kid for that. He knew what he wanted to do after school and wanted to get a start on that.

Hate to hear that about Parker, he was a good football player, but don't fault him at all! As for Martin, glad to see he's still at it. Thanks for the updates friend.
goBIGblue82 Wrote:Then go ahead and elaborate and fill us in on what Dudley did? The amazing junior group coming up at TC wasn’t impacted by Dudley. He was gone before they were in high school. Several of the impact players the past 2 seasons didn’t play when Dudley was there because he was running kids off and put zero effort into building the program. Like I said there is a bunch of talent, several D1 type athletes at Taylor right now, and to give Dudley the credit for that is absurd. There were athletes in the school that he didn’t try to get out and he didn’t know how to utilize the ones he had. The credit falls to the athletes for Taylor’s rise and Foley’s ability to get athletes on the field. Only thing Dudley established was a zero discipline mentality. Nobody can question his knowledge of the game or his position in the record books. But the effort to build just isn’t there anymore. Pretty sure he made several comments when he left about the kids just not being “mountain boys”. Maybe they’re not but they’re still kids that would go out and fight for you.
I bet you have nightmares about Dudley. lol. He is not even a mountain boy.
pjdoug Wrote:I bet you have nightmares about Dudley. lol. He is not even a mountain boy.

That’s the first accurate comment you’ve made. I do have nightmares about Dudley. It all starts with him being hired at one of the programs I like to see succeed. He then runs the program into the ground.
goBIGblue82 Wrote:That’s the first accurate comment you’ve made. I do have nightmares about Dudley. It all starts with him being hired at one of the programs I like to see succeed. He then runs the program into the ground.

Everything I say is accurate. You don't succeed. Get Dudley to show his championship rings to you.
goBIGblue82 Wrote:That was Keaton Martin. He wasn’t their QB, but they played him in a lot of wildcat vs Belfry. He has been a big time player at south Oldham ever since his freshman year. Parker just wasn’t a fan of school, and made the decision to graduate early. He would’ve had college possibilities, but wasn’t in his plans. Can’t fault a kid for that. He knew what he wanted to do after school and wanted to get a start on that.

Hell Parker played against us like 5 or 6 years in middle school. :-) He should be tired of school.
You got Belfry then a gap and then the rest
I'm liking DeSales.
99PIRATEFAN Wrote:You got Belfry then a gap and then the rest

IMO you got Belfry with the power running game and outstanding skill kids. CAL has a really good running game but not much speed.

I don't know a whole lot about DeSales but I'll say this....you can only have so many kids on the field at a time and both those Louisville teams are going to be hard pressed to find 11 better than Belfry.
Bell Co’s London Stephney will be one of the best players in 3A hands down.
I was told yesterday that Andy Stephens has joined Sam Marple at Taylor Co. Andy had some success at Casey Co. and then took Southwestern to the semi's and then things fell apart there. He's been at Anderson Co with Mark Peach for at least a couple of seasons. Is this a good thing for Taylor Co. and will it be a help to Coach Marple and that program?
FoSho Wrote:IMO you got Belfry with the power running game and outstanding skill kids. CAL has a really good running game but not much speed.

I don't know a whole lot about DeSales but I'll say this....you can only have so many kids on the field at a time and both those Louisville teams are going to be hard pressed to find 11 better than Belfry.

You don't really know a lot about these 2 Louisville teams then. I'll take our's and CAL's top 11 athletes over Belfry's.
Belfry's running game plays into both of DeSales, and CAL's strength. DEFENSE. It's what both teams do, and they both do it well. I know you 3A guys don't seem to think that either of these 2 are going to come in and challenge, but they both will do more than that. I don't think it's a stretch, and of course it's my opinion, but I think your state champion will come out of the Louisville district, more times than not. DeSales had a great run, then CAL had a great run, I like DeSales more than CAL this year. I think without Wright, and with Scroggins at DeSales, it will tip back in their favor. In addition to that either one you get in the playoffs will be battle tested. They both play more difficult schedules. DeSales has one of the toughest in the state. Central, did not have to move up. But they wanted no part of this district, year in and year out. We'll keep knocking those higher class teams they put in front of us down each week, and maybe with a little luck we'll get the chance to meet one of those mountain teams for a chance at another title.
ColtPride Wrote:You don't really know a lot about these 2 Louisville teams then. I'll take our's and CAL's top 11 athletes over Belfry's.
Belfry's running game plays into both of DeSales, and CAL's strength. DEFENSE. It's what both teams do, and they both do it well. I know you 3A guys don't seem to think that either of these 2 are going to come in and challenge, but they both will do more than that. I don't think it's a stretch, and of course it's my opinion, but I think your state champion will come out of the Louisville district, more times than not. DeSales had a great run, then CAL had a great run, I like DeSales more than CAL this year. I think without Wright, and with Scroggins at DeSales, it will tip back in their favor. In addition to that either one you get in the playoffs will be battle tested. They both play more difficult schedules. DeSales has one of the toughest in the state. Central, did not have to move up. But they wanted no part of this district, year in and year out. We'll keep knocking those higher class teams they put in front of us down each week, and maybe with a little luck we'll get the chance to meet one of those mountain teams for a chance at another title.

Most Belfry fans know DeSales and Cal both present stiff challenges. Im guessing Ashland won't be a walk in the park either.

I'm guessing up to this point, you as a fan have never really paid much attention to "mountain schools" such as Pikeville, Belfry and Johnson Central. And....playing in 2A....I really wouldn't blame ya if you didn't.

Believe me.....Belfry's run game is NOTHING like you've seen. I'm not saying its the best you've seen....but it's unique to say the least.

I would be careful in what you wish for.....you may just get it.
ColtPride Wrote:You don't really know a lot about these 2 Louisville teams then. I'll take our's and CAL's top 11 athletes over Belfry's.

I don't think you realize what you're in for with the Pirates. You underestimate their speed, their scheme and their coach is second to none, ask Coach Scroggins. I saw first hand how good their rushing attack was and it played right into Boyle County's strength too. Without several miscues with the ball, our game with them last year is MUCH closer. Dixon and Bentley will be the best football players in a game vs ANY 3A team and most in the state. Not to mention the devastating run blocking, especially by their bad ass, well coached OL.

You just better hope you don't have to play on Pond Creek.
I'm not discounting Belfry, and what they bring to the table each year. Maybe i'm wrong, and us two little ole 2A teams don't belong. We'll see.
ColtPride Wrote:I'm not discounting Belfry, and what they bring to the table each year. Maybe i'm wrong, and us two little ole 2A teams don't belong. We'll see.

I'm not disputing DeSales is a great team and neither should you assume that what you bring to the table is enough to beat Belfry. You gave points, I gave counter points based upon experience. I guess we'll see soon enough.

Boyle Co hosts CAL week 5 and I can't wait to see how we stack up against "mighty Louisville" myself.

Scared. Not scared. Smile
ColtPride Wrote:I'm not discounting Belfry, and what they bring to the table each year. Maybe i'm wrong, and us two little ole 2A teams don't belong. We'll see.

It does sound like you're completely discounting the Pirates......and that's fine. No worries. Hopefully Belfry will get an opportunity to earn your respect. Smile
OutlawJoseyWales Wrote:It does sound like you're completely discounting the Pirates......and that's fine. No worries. Hopefully Belfry will get an opportunity to earn your respect. Smile

I took it that way and I don't have a dog in the fight.

I don’t know much about DeSales but teams were tying to stay away from CAL I never heard DeSales mentioned in the same sentence not saying they’re not a quality program just never heard them playing at the same level as CAL. That being said if any of these two think they’re simply gonna show up and stop the Belfry running game throw up a few touchdowns and breeze to a win I can see it being a long night with a lot of feelings getting hurt at the end.BTW you’ll be facing one of the best if not the best football mind to ever walk a side line in the state of Kentucky High school football...CAL or DeSales may win it all this year but I can promise you they’ve never seen a power run game with the blocking schemes they’ll see vs Belfry it’s poetry in motion...
Good luck to CAL and DeSales this year. I hope that both have a great, injury free season. I think the west comes down to those two teams. And if it does, I believe it'll be a toss up to whoever comes away with the win. Then, if the Pirates are fortunate enough to win the east, there's a couple pretty damn good teams in the east besides Belfry that may have a say in it, we'll meet either CAL or Desales in the championship. That game could be a toss up as well. But before that happens, I would highly suggest the winner of the west watch some film on the Pirates! Because if you think for one second Belfry doesnt match up with anybody in the State when it comes to athletes then your badly mistaken. I don't care if your from the Louisville area or anywhere else. Go ahead and underestimate us and our "athletes" and you'll pay dearly! That's all I'm going to say about that. Good luck to everyone this year.

CAL and Desales are both really good football teams but my question is how many years has it been since they should have been in 3A already. Now I don’t know just asking not a trying to be a butt either just a question? Seems like their enrollment especially CAL since Pikeville played in middle school has grown some because there were some names on their roosters that wasn’t there then. Some where on the team I remember but not very many.
Patriot1 Wrote:CAL and Desales are both really good football teams but my question is how many years has it been since they should have been in 3A already. Now I don’t know just asking not a trying to be a butt either just a question? Seems like their enrollment especially CAL since Pikeville played in middle school has grown some because there were some names on their roosters that wasn’t there then. Some where on the team I remember but not very many.

Good question. I'd just about guarantee both enrollments are higher than Belfrys.
#55PirateFan Wrote:Good question. I'd just about guarantee both enrollments are higher than Belfrys.

Well it that game CAL Beat Pikeville 14 to 12. If it wasn’t for a pick 6 and a pass the officials ruled a back ward pass they would not have scored because their offense didn’t gain many yards. But on the Pikeville team of the starting 11 which they played both ways most of them. On this Pikeville team in high school and starting on defense and offense which most play both ways there are 9 of them which I think is pretty good. So undoubtedly they picked up a a lot of kids but I have heard their schools have really grown.
FWIW,
I followed 2A very closely the past handful of years. Specifically CAL and DeSales.

The past two years I would have taken CAL over Belfry no questions asked. Two years ago I think CAL would have handled them by a couple or three scores because of Belfry's inability on the D-Line to consistently get a stop against a spread team. Last year I would have taken CAL by a score. I think Belfry's play makers could have got them some big plays, but CAL was just the more well balanced team and the only small school in the State who would outclass Belfry's OLine.

I would have taken Belfry over DeSales by a couple scores each of the past two years. Nothing against DeSales, as they were tremendous Defensive teams and deep. With that said, DeSales has struggled mightily to maintain a consistent Offense and produce the big play. I think that is about to change with some of their young talent (especially Scroggins' son), but the past two years there were times that DeSale's Defense stood a better chance of scoring than their Offense.

I also think people continue to sell Belfry's athleticism year in and year out short over this 15 year run. I think people view them as some old school smashmouth team with giant size and no speed. Belfry may have a giant line, but their schemes are predicated on quickness and big plays. Dixon and Bentley may be one of the best 1-2 running combos in the State regardless of class and both can FLY.
How much does losing Birchfield hurt the Pirates?
goBIGblue82 Wrote:How much does losing Birchfield hurt the Pirates?

Well...it doesn’t help any. He’s been a consistent performer over the past couple years defensively. Hasn’t played a huge role offensively At CB...he’s had a tendency to struggle against bigger SE’s. Tackling has always been an issue. What hasn’t been an issue is his hitting power. He definitely can lay a lick on someone. He’ll do fine at MC. Completion will be weaker overall and I expect him to run the ball some over there.
OutlawJoseyWales Wrote:Well...it doesn’t help any. He’s been a consistent performer over the past couple years defensively. Hasn’t played a huge role offensively At CB...he’s had a tendency to struggle against bigger SE’s. Tackling has always been an issue. What hasn’t been an issue is his hitting power. He definitely can lay a lick on someone. He’ll do fine at MC. Completion will be weaker overall and I expect him to run the ball some over there.
OJW nailed it but I will add if nothing else it is a huge blow in terms of depth.

Belfry isn’t exactly loaded with depth in the secondary as it is, and with Bentley, Dixon, and Coleman all expected to get a ton of Offensive reps, the risk for injury or fatigue is real.

Belfry is usually injury plagued it seems so that is scary to consider.
MC got the Hatfield brothers back from Logan and now Birchfield...
Don't want to hijack the thread but how do you guys see MC vs Pikeville shaking out in the PCB?

https://www.wvgazettemail.com/sports/pre...3ad80.html
I read somewhere that CAL lost their head coach, is this true? He had them rolling and a head coach makes all the difference in high school.
  •  Previous
  • 3(current)
  • Next