Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
4A: Who is the top dog?
Bump
(09-19-2022, 07:40 AM)Hoot Gibson Wrote:
(09-18-2022, 11:43 PM)Hound05 Wrote:
(09-18-2022, 06:58 PM)RunninReb Wrote:
(09-18-2022, 06:43 PM)Hound05 Wrote:
(09-18-2022, 04:13 PM)bobcatpride1 Wrote: Boyle co. Rebels and it ain’t even close
People have said this year after year in 4A. They have been proved wrong year and year. Either between boyle, Corbin, or JC. The gap is always close.

I am curious as to how they have been proved wrong. Hasn't Boyle won the last two years in 4A?

(09-18-2022, 07:23 PM)Deuce8 Wrote: Proved wrong ????? Have you looked at the last several 4a champs ????
I think by several, you mean TWO and even if that made any difference for this year, we hate hardly a dynasty. But let’s go back about 5 years to show how close it is. Boyle beat Corbin by 19 in the title in 17.  Pretty good win by a decent margin. Next year, they said the same ole thing “boyle is gonna win it all and it won’t be close” or “boyle needs to play Trinity, it’d be a good Match up”. They got beat by 3 TD’s and shut out, to… CORBIN. CORBIN lost by 1 to central. So I’d say it was pretty close between Corbin and central. But not Corbin and boyle contrary to everyone saying boyle and it “won’t be close”.  

Next year everyone reclassified. JC beat boyle by 1 for the title. Pretty darn close I’d say…. Same thing though. I remember everyone saying JC would walk to a title or boyle will have it no problem. More Jc that year but I remember it well. Again super close. 

The next year, boyle beat Franklin by 3 in OT. Again, close as it gets all the while people saying JC and Boyle, and it’s “not even close”. 

Last year, JC lost their coach. Made
it to the title and played boyle. Im not gonna look it up but it was sometbing like 30-15 or close to that. A decent margin. Wouldn’t call it not even close. 

and now this year. Same people saying the same thing. And they’ll be proved wrong again. No team has really showed they are
above and beyond the other.  So when the question was asked “who is the top dog this year in 4A” and people say “it’s not close”. I brought up factual history to prove them wrong. Your question of going back several years means nothing in this aspect because we are talking about this year. Again,
I went back to prove a point thats it’s always pretty dang close. No team at
the top is heads and shoulders above the rest. I’ve got all the respect in the world for boyle, and their fans on here. But I think most would agree, and if not that’s fine, but history proves otherwise. Even if we just took a sample of the games played, no one sticks out above the rest. I think boyle is top dawg Until someome in 4a knocks them
off, but it’s not far beyond the rest of the top.
Johnson Central supporters have never claimed to have a team that was best in all classes. You are confusing us with Boyle County fans. In fact, when Boyle County, Corbin, Lexington Catholic, and Central moved to 4A, many people on this board argued that 4A was very weak and that the former 3A teams would dominate the class. Many but not all BC fans thought the team that Johnson Central beat for our second title would be the best BC team ever but only if they won the title and they also argued that BC was the best in all classes that season. Of course, a team that lost to lowly JC could not have possibly been their best ever.

The 2000 Boyle team would have put a running clock on the 2020 Boyle team you speak of, IMO the 2000 Boyle team is the best high school football team I’ve ever seen play.
(09-22-2022, 08:46 PM)Jack Lambert Wrote:
(09-19-2022, 07:40 AM)Hoot Gibson Wrote:
(09-18-2022, 06:58 PM)RunninReb Wrote:
(09-18-2022, 06:43 PM)Hound05 Wrote: People have said this year after year in 4A. They have been proved wrong year and year. Either between boyle, Corbin, or JC. The gap is always close.

I am curious as to how they have been proved wrong. Hasn't Boyle won the last two years in 4A?

(09-18-2022, 07:23 PM)Deuce8 Wrote: Proved wrong ????? Have you looked at the last several 4a champs ????
I think by several, you mean TWO and even if that made any difference for this year, we hate hardly a dynasty. But let’s go back about 5 years to show how close it is. Boyle beat Corbin by 19 in the title in 17.  Pretty good win by a decent margin. Next year, they said the same ole thing “boyle is gonna win it all and it won’t be close” or “boyle needs to play Trinity, it’d be a good Match up”. They got beat by 3 TD’s and shut out, to… CORBIN. CORBIN lost by 1 to central. So I’d say it was pretty close between Corbin and central. But not Corbin and boyle contrary to everyone saying boyle and it “won’t be close”.  

Next year everyone reclassified. JC beat boyle by 1 for the title. Pretty darn close I’d say…. Same thing though. I remember everyone saying JC would walk to a title or boyle will have it no problem. More Jc that year but I remember it well. Again super close. 

The next year, boyle beat Franklin by 3 in OT. Again, close as it gets all the while people saying JC and Boyle, and it’s “not even close”. 

it to the title and played boyle. Im not gonna look it up but it was sometbing like 30-15 or close to that. A decent margin. Wouldn’t call it not even close. 

and now this year. Same people saying the same thing. And they’ll be proved wrong again. No team has really showed they are
above and beyond the other.  So when the question was asked “who is the top dog this year in 4A” and people say “it’s not close”. I brought up factual history to prove them wrong. Your question of going back several years means nothing in this aspect because we are talking about this year. Again,
the top is heads and shoulders above the rest. I’ve got all the respect in the world for boyle, and their fans on here. But I think most would agree, and if not that’s fine, but history proves otherwise. Even if we just took a sample of the games played, no one sticks out above the rest. I think boyle is top dawg Until someome in 4a knocks them
Johnson Central supporters have never claimed to have a team that was best in all classes. You are confusing us with Boyle County fans. In fact, when Boyle County, Corbin, Lexington Catholic, and Central moved to 4A, many people on this board argued that 4A was very weak and that the former 3A teams would dominate the class. Many but not all BC fans thought the team that Johnson Central beat for our second title would be the best BC team ever but only if they won the title and they also argued that BC was the best in all classes that season. Of course, a team that lost to lowly JC could not have possibly been their best ever.

The 2000 Boyle team would have put a running clock on the 2020 Boyle team you speak of, IMO the 2000 Boyle team is the best high school football team I’ve ever seen play.
I was not the one arguing that the 2020 Boyle team was its best ever. Those who made that case could not fathom that schools best team in school history could possibly lose to JC. I doubt that any BC team would have beaten its 2020 team with a running clock but that's a discussion for BC fans, The only thing certain is that the 2020 BC team was the second best team in 4A that year.
Boyle County beat Franklin for the 4A title in 2020. The year you speak of is 2019.
[-] The following 2 users Like RunninReb's post:
  • Hoot Gibson, Rebel55
I remember the Boyle fans who were ready to anoint the 2020 team the best Boyle team ever and I told several of them the same thing that I’m telling you, You don’t have to take my word for it you can ask any Boyle fan that saw both teams play and I’m not talking about the younger Boyle fans I’m talking about the fans who’s been around awhile like me the 2000 team was way better than the 2020 team.
(09-22-2022, 09:12 PM)Jack Lambert Wrote: I remember the Boyle fans who were ready to anoint the 2020 team the best Boyle team ever and I told several of them the same thing that I’m telling you, You don’t have to take my word for it you can ask any Boyle fan that saw both teams play and I’m not talking about the younger Boyle fans I’m talking about the fans who’s been around awhile like me the 2000 team was way better than the 2020 team.
I remember. My only issue was that those who thought that the 2019 BC team was its best ever - also believed that a team that lost to JC could not be their best team ever. It was disrespectful to JC's program, which entered the final game undefeated, as did Boyle.
(09-22-2022, 09:12 PM)Jack Lambert Wrote: I remember the Boyle fans who were ready to anoint the 2020 team the best Boyle team ever and I told several of them the same thing that I’m telling you, You don’t have to take my word for it you can ask any Boyle fan that saw both teams play and I’m not talking about the younger Boyle fans I’m talking about the fans who’s been around awhile like me the 2000 team was way better than the 2020 team.

I assume that you mean the 2019 team.  2020 team was the covid year that beat Franklin County in the finals. 2000 team didn't put a running clock on Glasgow and no way would have put one on the 2019 or 2020 team.  I think they would have won though.  

IMO the 2001 team was the best with 2000 team close behind.  That was Jeff Duggins Sr. year (Mr. Football) that had Rockcastle County down at the half 42-0 in the State Championship game.  In the playoffs they had a 10-1 Bullitt East team down 49-0 after 1 quarter.  That was the 1st. year that Boyle moved up to 3A and was suppose to be the year that Boyle came back to earth playing big boy 3A ball in Fort Thomas Highlands class.

(09-22-2022, 09:58 PM)Hoot Gibson Wrote:
I remember. My only issue was that those who thought that the 2019 BC team was its best ever - also believed that a team that lost to JC could not be their best team ever. It was disrespectful to JC's program, which entered the final game undefeated, as did Boyle.
 I've been to all 10 of Boyle's State Championships and both State Runner up games.   I will say this about the 2019 Johnson Central team.  They where the best team Boyle faced in those 14 games.  

(09-22-2022, 10:29 PM)Rebel55 Wrote:

I assume that you mean the 2019 team.  2020 team was the covid year that beat Franklin County in the finals. 2000 team didn't put a running clock on Glasgow and no way would have put one on the 2019 or 2020 team.  I think they would have won though.  

IMO the 2001 team was the best with 2000 team close behind.  That was Jeff Duggins Sr. year (Mr. Football) that had Rockcastle County down at the half 42-0 in the State Championship game.  In the playoffs they had a 10-1 Bullitt East team down 49-0 after 1 quarter.  That was the 1st. year that Boyle moved up to 3A and was suppose to be the year that Boyle came back to earth playing big boy 3A ball in Fort Thomas Highlands class.

(09-22-2022, 09:58 PM)Hoot Gibson Wrote:
 I've been to all 10 of Boyle's State Championships and both State Runner up games.   I will say this about the 2019 Johnson Central team.  They where the best team Boyle faced in those 12 games.  

Sorry for all the repeat on my post. I noticed that I said 14 games and tried changing it to 12. v
Rebel55 We’ll have to agree to disagree IMO Duggins junior year’s team was head and shoulders above his senior year’s team, and IMO the Highlands team that Boyle lost to in the state finals was the best team Boyle faced in their 12 state final games, and I also have attended all of Boyle’s state championship games.
As a boyle fan I have to say this years team needs to improve on alot of things on offense. The defense is pretty solid ,but their quarterback needs to improve. On down the field throws, plus line play. If that gets better when injured players return they will be a tough out. I never underestimate any team Johnson central is always dangerous, Corbin is always a team to look out for. Franklin has a great bunch of athletes. Central is always pretty good.
[-] The following 1 user Likes True pioneer's post:
  • Jack Lambert
I guess so Jack. 2000 was a very good team. Head and shoulders better than 2001 is very debatable.

2000 team would not clock a 2019 or 2020 team if they couldn't do it against a 2A Glasgow team.
(09-22-2022, 11:16 PM)True pioneer Wrote: As a boyle fan I have to say this years team needs to improve on alot of things on offense. The defense is pretty solid ,but their quarterback needs to improve. On down the field throws, plus line play. If that gets better when injured players return they will be a tough out. I never underestimate any team Johnson central is always dangerous, Corbin is always a team to look out for. Franklin has a great bunch of athletes. Central is always pretty good.
Hmmm…I’ve only watched one game. So you know better than I do. But I watched the BG game ans the QB seemed pretty good. The defense was good too, but they had some holes in the secondary. Maybe I just got them on a weird matchup. But overall a pretty solid team
[-] The following 1 user Likes Hound05's post:
  • True pioneer
(09-22-2022, 09:01 PM)Hoot Gibson Wrote:
(09-22-2022, 08:46 PM)Jack Lambert Wrote:
(09-19-2022, 07:40 AM)Hoot Gibson Wrote:
(09-18-2022, 06:58 PM)RunninReb Wrote: I am curious as to how they have been proved wrong. Hasn't Boyle won the last two years in 4A?

I was not the one arguing that the 2020 Boyle team was its best ever. Those who made that case could not fathom that schools best team in school history could possibly lose to JC. I doubt that any BC team would have beaten its 2020 team with a running clock but that's a discussion for BC fans, The only thing certain is that the 2020 BC team was the second best team in 4A that year.

(09-23-2022, 12:17 AM)Rebel55 Wrote: I guess so Jack. 2000 was a very good team. Head and shoulders better than 2001 is very debatable.

2000 team would not clock a 2019 or 2020 team if they couldn't do it against a 2A Glasgow team.

You know what they say about opinions, once again we’ll have to agree to disagree but that’s part of it.
just my 2 cents but i'd take any of the 99-03 Rebels over the rest of the state champ Rebels. Obviously all the teams were very talented but in 99-03 those boys flat out took people to the wood shed in the trenches and whipped people in a way you just do not see anymore.
[-] The following 2 users Like The_Cats_Meow's post:
  • Jack Lambert, Rebel55
(09-23-2022, 01:12 PM)The_Cats_Meow Wrote: just my 2 cents but i'd take any of the 99-03 Rebels over the rest of the state champ Rebels. Obviously all the teams were very talented but in 99-03 those boys flat out took people to the wood shed in the trenches and whipped people in a way you just do not see anymore.
I agree 100%.  Those teams where like piranha, when they smelled blood it was over!
I don’t remember those late 90s early 00’s teams. And im just talking about the LOS. But if their line was better than they 17 line, I’d like to watch some of their games. I’ve said before the ‘17 line wasn’t the best I’ve seen nor the most talented. But the way they worked as 1 unit was a sight to see. It was 5 bodies and one brain, in a good way haha
(09-23-2022, 01:51 PM)Hound05 Wrote: I don’t remember those late 90s early 00’s teams. And im just talking about the LOS. But if their line was better than they 17 line, I’d like to watch some of their games. I’ve said before the ‘17 line wasn’t the best I’ve seen nor the most talented. But the way they worked as 1 unit was a sight to see. It was 5 bodies and one brain, in a good way haha
Early years you had Travis Leffew, and Brodie Overstreet both Power5 D1 lineman that started in college.  It help to have the best power runningback ever at Boyle in Matt Quinn, to go with pound for pound the best QB in Jeff Duggins, and add the best kicker in Taylor Begley.  Oh and don't forget 9 time NFl player Jacob Tamme.   

The 17 line was a work in progress at the start of the season.  They got their butts handed to them at Danville earlier that year.  Danville'd d-lineman ate them up.  By playoffs they learned to work as a unit together and dominated the LOS for all 5 post season games and became one of the best ever lines at Boyle.
[-] The following 2 users Like Rebel55's post:
  • Hatz, Jack Lambert
(09-23-2022, 02:06 PM)Rebel55 Wrote:
(09-23-2022, 01:51 PM)Hound05 Wrote: I don’t remember those late 90s early 00’s teams. And im just talking about the LOS. But if their line was better than they 17 line, I’d like to watch some of their games. I’ve said before the ‘17 line wasn’t the best I’ve seen nor the most talented. But the way they worked as 1 unit was a sight to see. It was 5 bodies and one brain, in a good way haha
Early years you had Travis Leffew, and Brodie Overstreet both Power5 D1 lineman that started in college.  It help to have the best power runningback ever at Boyle in Matt Quinn, to go with pound for pound the best QB in Jeff Duggins, and add the best kicker in Taylor Begley.  Oh and don't forget 9 time NFl player Jacob Tamme.  
Dang! That probably used up the whole recruiting budget for the next 5 years. Hahah. I’m kidding this thread was getting way to serious
[-] The following 3 users Like Hound05's post:
  • Hatz, Jack Lambert, Rebel55