•  Previous
  • 3(current)
  • Next 
  Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Top 5 Big Men All-Time in the Mountains (14th, 15th, 16th)?
new o Wrote:Mike May is Todd's older brother. Was offered by Morehead but went to Pikeville College where he lead the nation in boards and was 2 time small college all american. Todd was not a selfish player at all. I played with him and against him and trust me if you were to put May and Vanhoose against each other it would have gotten ugly. Vanhoose would have gotten a few boards and a few baskets but May would have abused him offensively. Also May was very underrated as a defensive player but he averaged 5 blocks a game in HS.

Thanks for the info.
new o Wrote:if you were to put May and Vanhoose against each other it would have gotten ugly. Vanhoose would have gotten a few boards and a few baskets but May would have abused him offensively.

I think it would have been a very good match-up to see, but what do I know...
J. R. VanHoose Wrote:I think it would have been a very good match-up to see, but what do I know...

I mean this with repect if you are truly J.R. Vanhoose I think you would do just fine.
You were rock solid in the way you played on the court .(There was no reason for you not being at UK,but you did quite well for yourself.)And the way you carried yourself of the court.
kybaseball Wrote:I mean this with repect if you are truly J.R. Vanhoose I think you would do just fine.
You were rock solid in the way you played on the court .(There was no reason for you not being at UK,but you did quite well for yourself.)And the way you carried yourself of the court.

I do appreciate that, and yes it is really me. I think polls/posts like this are very funny. In my opinion, it is very hard to compare players from different decades with each other, the game changes (style, rules, competition, etc) but yet it stays very much the same. I have great respect for Todd, I know him quite well, but to compare me to him is ridiculous. We played against different competition, had different teammates, played in different eras, etc. I think the one thing we do have in common is that we played for the same coach, Greg White (Todd at Pikeville College, me at Marshall) so I guess he would be the only one qualified to give an answer on this subject.

In my case, I was not out to be an "individual" star, I was always brought up to be a team player and playing under Coach Runyon, that was the way things were done. People seem to forget, yes I did have over 3,000 pts., and 2,000 rbs., but I also played with great teammates that were good in their own right. Bryan Lyon - 2,000 pt scorer; Craig Ratliff - 2,000 pt scorer, All-State player; Josh McKenzie - 1,500 pt scorer, All-State player; and Todd Tackett - 2,500 pt scorer, All-State player. Playing with players like that, I didn't have to go out and score 40 or grab 20 rebounds every night. We were concerned about winning and I am proud to say that we did a lot of that and that is something that no one can take from us. The individual things, I could live without, people tend to forget things like that anyway, but in my older years, I now appreciate the things we won as a team more than I did at the time. Those are the special things I remember!
J. R. VanHoose Wrote:I do appreciate that, and yes it is really me. I think polls/posts like this are very funny. In my opinion, it is very hard to compare players from different decades with each other, the game changes (style, rules, competition, etc) but yet it stays very much the same. I have great respect for Todd, I know him quite well, but to compare me to him is ridiculous. We played against different competition, had different teammates, played in different eras, etc. I think the one thing we do have in common is that we played for the same coach, Greg White (Todd at Pikeville College, me at Marshall) so I guess he would be the only one qualified to give an answer on this subject.

In my case, I was not out to be an "individual" star, I was always brought up to be a team player and playing under Coach Runyon, that was the way things were done. People seem to forget, yes I did have over 3,000 pts., and 2,000 rbs., but I also played with great teammates that were good in their own right. Bryan Lyon - 2,000 pt scorer; Craig Ratliff - 2,000 pt scorer, All-State player; Josh McKenzie - 1,500 pt scorer, All-State player; and Todd Tackett - 2,500 pt scorer, All-State player. Playing with players like that, I didn't have to go out and score 40 or grab 20 rebounds every night. We were concerned about winning and I am proud to say that we did a lot of that and that is something that no one can take from us. The individual things, I could live without, people tend to forget things like that anyway, but in my older years, I now appreciate the things we won as a team more than I did at the time. Those are the special things I remember!

Well said.
ERblue4ever Wrote:Here is my Top 15. None of these players are in the same class as Todd May. I watched him play during his career. I watch alot alot of high school basketball.

1. Todd May-Virgie
2. John Pelfrey-Paintsville
3.JR Vanhoose-Paintsville
4. Dan Hall-Betsy Layne
5.Jon Bentley-Hazard
6.Myron Mindolavic-Elkhorn City (Spelling????)
7.Mark Surgalsk- Ashland
8. Mike May-Virgie
9. Craig Ratliff-Paintsville
10. Josh Mckenzie-Paintsville
11.Mike Scott- Greenup Co. (Snowman)
12. Kyle Umberger- Ashland
13. Steve Smith- Mcdowell
14. Jackson Julson-East Carter
15.Larry Stamper- Lee Co.

Wow!!

Only 2 players from the 14th and 0 from the 13th on your list. Larry Stamper should be higher than 15th. He was a rugged 6'8 who took his high school team to an OT loss to Lou Seneca from playing in the 1968 state championship game against Glasgow. Then he went on to eventually earn a starting spot on the UK teams of the early 1970s.

Also, there were other great players not listed. Bobby Slusher was 6'7 all stater at Lone Jack in the late 1950s who averaged about 50 points per game and who was coveted by Adolph Rupp but let his career slip away with some bad personal decisions.

Breathitt County has had several star big men over the years. Cecil Clair was a 6'7 center and an all stater who starred at Morehead State in the early 1960s. Doug Cundiff was a 6'6 or 6'7 big man who was a an all stater and star in the late 1950s. 6'5 Charlie Turner and 6'5 Larry Noble starred at Breathitt and later played college ball at
Berea and Austin Peay, repsectively. Arch Johnson was a 6'6 center/forward who was an started and all OVC at Morehead State.

I think Hindman had a big man in the 1960s by the name of John Turner that was very good. Hazard has had some good ones over the years, namely the Rose players, Jim and Chester. Jim played on Western Kentucky's 1971 Final Four team. Owsley County had 6'5 Jeff 'Moose' Moore who was MVP of the 1990 State All A tournament and later played college ball in Florida. Lee County had 6'8 Jeff Ginnan that was a member of the UK team in the late 1980s.
LOOKAYANNER Wrote:Wow!!

Only 2 players from the 14th and 0 from the 13th on your list. Larry Stamper should be higher than 15th. He was a rugged 6'8 who took his high school team to an OT loss to Lou Seneca from playing in the 1968 state championship game against Glasgow. Then he went on to eventually earn a starting spot on the UK teams of the early 1970s.

Also, there were other great players not listed. Bobby Slusher was 6'7 all stater at Lone Jack in the late 1950s who averaged about 50 points per game and who was coveted by Adolph Rupp but let his career slip away with some bad personal decisions.

Breathitt County has had several star big men over the years. Cecil Clair was a 6'7 center and an all stater who starred at Morehead State in the early 1960s. Doug Cundiff was a 6'6 or 6'7 big man who was a an all stater and star in the late 1950s. 6'5 Charlie Turner and 6'5 Larry Noble starred at Breathitt and later played college ball at
Berea and Austin Peay, repsectively. Arch Johnson was a 6'6 center/forward who was an started and all OVC at Morehead State.

I think Hindman had a big man in the 1960s by the name of John Turner that was very good. Hazard has had some good ones over the years, namely the Rose players, Jim and Chester. Jim played on Western Kentucky's 1971 Final Four team. Owsley County had 6'5 Jeff 'Moose' Moore who was MVP of the 1990 State All A tournament and later played college ball in Florida. Lee County had 6'8 Jeff Ginnan that was a member of the UK team in the late 1980s.

Sorry dude, but I don't think many people on here are as old as you and just can't remember those players, but we will take your word for it!
Survivor Wrote:Sorry dude, but I don't think many people on here are as old as you and just can't remember those players, but we will take your word for it!
Rolleyes

That's the big problem with this board. You have so many little kids on here that dont know half as much as what they think they know, and all you can get out of them is some sort of a smart elleck comment when somebody that really does know what they are talking about makes a halfway intelligent post.
palmer Wrote:Best to ever come out of the mountains? Have you heard of Wah Wah Jones, Johnny Cox, Phil Cox, Richie Farmer, Frank Selvey

Phil Cox averaged 35.3 points per game as a junior and 28.7 points as a senior at Cawood High School when he won Kentucky's Mr. Basketball award.
During Cox's senior year of college, he became Vanderbilt's all-time scoring leader with 1,724 points passing Mike Rhodes (1978-81) who collected 1,699 points. As a senior, the guard was named to the First Team All-SEC while receiving the Civitan Sportsmanship Award.

The Topic is Best BIG Men...
J. R. VanHoose Wrote:I think it would have been a very good match-up to see, but what do I know...

I have watched many many games...but May is in a different league...

No offense to you.
Survivor Wrote:Sorry dude, but I don't think many people on here are as old as you and just can't remember those players, but we will take your word for it!
Well, the thread says, "Top 5 Big Men All Time In The Mountains"
So if it's "All Time", then that goes back a long way. Basketball in the mountains didn't just start in 1990, as some of you seem to think. Some of these "old" guys that I have mentioned could more than hold their own against some of the players listed by some on here, and in most cases play rings around them.

BTW, I forgot to mention 'Big' Earl Stevens from Breathitt County, a mountain of a man in the early 1960s that was a two time all state player that was a force to reckon with. Big Earl made many an opponent doctor bruises for days after a game. He was something else.
Chuck Taylor Wrote:I have watched many many games...but May is in a different league...

No offense to you.

None taken!!
If i remember correctly J.R. was a little taller and much stronger than May. Like J.R.said it's a differnet era. They faced a different level of compitetion.I think without a doubt players are better in J.R. era. I think without a doubt JR would dominate in Mays era but i think May would struggle in JRs era.

There are more finese players today that could do what May did , they want to stay outside and bomb away (i'm not saying that is all he did)Most players would rather gaurd a player like that than a banger..JR could bang with the best of them,theres not to many players willing to do that .Most of the players that will bang have nowhere the skill JR had.I guess one will pick a side on what kind of player they favor.Give me a highly skilled center that is a team player anyday.

Of course i wouldn't be upset if i could have played a 1/3 as good as May in my day.
kybaseball Wrote:If i remember correctly J.R. was a little taller and much stronger than May. Like J.R.said it's a differnet era. They faced a different level of compitetion.I think without a doubt players are better in J.R. era. I think without a doubt JR would dominate in Mays era but i think May would struggle in JRs era.
There are more finese players today that could do what May did , they want to stay outside and bomb away (i'm not saying that is all he did)Most players would rather gaurd a player like that than a banger..JR could bang with the best of them,theres not to many players willing to do that .Most of the players that will bang have nowhere the skill JR had.I guess one will pick a side on what kind of player they favor.Give me a highly skilled center that is a team player anyday.

Of course i wouldn't be upset if i could have played a 1/3 as good as May in my day.
Contrary to what you may think basketball is not much different than it was in the 80's and 90's, or the 70's for that matter. The biggest difference that I can see is perhaps the players currently are not as fundamentaly sound as they were a couple of decades ago. And they get worse and worse with each passing era. We are not talking about the NBA, we are talking about HIGH SCHOOL basketball here in the mountains of eastern Kentucky.

Give me one good reason to think that May would not be as dominate in the 90's as well as here in the 2000's? Try naming one of those 6'8" finese guys that has plays in this area(or any other area of Kentucky) that you say can do what Mays could do back then. Your talking like those players are a dime a dozen. Go ahead, just name me one. You cant do it, because it aint so and there is not one single one of them around here. 6'8" guys are as rare as hen's teeth, let alone one who can walk and chew bubble gum at the same time. It's a totaly ridiculous comment to say that he would struggle. Regardless of whatever you may think, the quality and caliber of basketball stinks in this current era as opposed to what it was in the 60's, 70's, or 80's or the 90's. The 15th region in particular, just gets weaker and weaker and weaker.
Darrius Miller6'7" i know he's not exactly from this particular area but close enough.And his teamateTrevor Setty6'6",Timmy Knipp from Elliot he's not quite as tall at 6'5" but still young and can do it from A-Z.Dakota Euton6'8" he plays a lot like he did as i remember,maybe not quite as quick footed but probably a little better shooter.

These players could play with May out on the floor,But none of them could handle JR in the paint.Niether could Ishmael or Indicott.

One thing we can agree on for sure the fundamentals have went by the wayside.

It seems every coach wants speed over anything,no matter if players can dribble pass or shoot.

Heres my soap box i think the 3 point line in high school has hurt the high school game. JMO please don't roast me for it.
It's a totaly ridiculous comment to say that he would struggle.

I don't think it is. May would do okay but if he played when JR did then they would face each other .I would say May would definetley struggle.
Chuck Taylor Wrote:The Topic is Best BIG Men...

I was responding to the poster who talked about the best player overall.
kybaseball Wrote:Darrius Miller6'7" i know he's not exactly from this particular area but close enough.And his teamateTrevor Setty6'6",Timmy Knipp from Elliot he's not quite as tall at 6'5" but still young and can do it from A-Z.Dakota Euton6'8" he plays a lot like he did as i remember,maybe not quite as quick footed but probably a little better shooter.

These players could play with May out on the floor,But none of them could handle JR in the paint.Niether could Ishmael or Indicott.

One thing we can agree on for sure the fundamentals have went by the wayside.

It seems every coach wants speed over anything,no matter if players can dribble pass or shoot.

Heres my soap box i think the 3 point line in high school has hurt the high school game. JMO please don't roast me for it.
There is no comprison between May and Euton. May would be dominate in that battle. I found very few instances where Euton dominated anything this year with him towering over most of his opponents in a weak basketball area. Knipp is not even in the same league.

As I said May was not a true center, but he is a big man. Shaq and Tim Duncan are both big men as well but neither play the same type of game. I'll compare May to Duncan and Shaq to VanHoose. I'll take Duncan.

Your right about the 3 point shot. That and the dunk have ruined high school and college basketball.
kybaseball Wrote:It's a totaly ridiculous comment to say that he would struggle.

I don't think it is. May would do okay but if he played when JR did then they would face each other .I would say May would definetley struggle.
:confused:
Your acting like May played centuries before VanHoose did. They were just one decade apart. Big deal. That's like saying Kenny Walker would struggle playing at UK right now. It's also like your saying that Darrell Griffith would struggle to play in this era. He would probably still be the #1 high school player in the country if he played right now. Your statement holds no credence whatsoever.
JR was a very good player and a great rebounder but I am starting to think some of the posters on here never actually watched May. May scored inside and out. He was a true post player in high school but evolved into a complete player by extending his range(which was around 26-27 feet) in college. May played against great competition in high school(Phil Cox/Vandy,Ervin Stepp,Jamie Phillips/ETSU, Mark Cline/Wake Forest,Troy Mckinely/UK,Jeff Hall/UL,et.... JR could not have scored 44 a game at Pikeville College and that is not an insult. Very few could have done that. May was recruited by almost every major D-1 school in America, JR was recruited by a few D-1's and several mid-majors.
I'm pretty sure Todd May was about winning as well. Go back and check the records and stats from some of the Virgie teams he was on. It was not a one man show, although it could have been. Virgie was always ranked in the top 5 in the state and beat some of the best teams in the state and surrounding area. Find someone who has a copy of the Williamson, WV at Virgie game from Todd's senior year and tell me how good or not good you think Todd was. At the time Williamson was ranked #1 in WV and had as good a highschool player as you'll see in Mark Kline. Todd was doubled and sometimes tripled the whole game and still had an impressive game. Also, most or all of Virgie's players where from Virgie. Paintsville at times an all Johnson County All Star team with players from all different schools.

BTW, Todd has one nasty dunk in this game that would impress anyone.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:There is no comprison between May and Euton. May would be dominate in that battle. I found very few instances where Euton dominated anything this year with him towering over most of his opponents in a weak basketball area. Knipp is not even in the same league.

As I said May was not a true center, but he is a big man. Shaq and Tim Duncan are both big men as well but neither play the same type of game. I'll compare May to Duncan and Shaq to VanHoose. I'll take Duncan.

Your right about the 3 point shot. That and the dunk have ruined high school and college basketball.

You mean VanHoose to Shaq????:confused:
Mr.Kimball Wrote::confused:
Your acting like May played centuries before VanHoose did. They were just one decade apart. Big deal. That's like saying Kenny Walker would struggle playing at UK right now. It's also like your saying that Darrell Griffith would struggle to play in this era. He would probably still be the #1 high school player in the country if he played right now. Your statement holds no credence whatsoever.

i think my statement holds a lot of credence.

May is not in the same class as Walker and Griffth.Sorry no disrespect meant.

Knipp is young but i think he could give May all he could handle if they were the same age.

I know Miller could handel May but i would take JR over Miller anyday of the week and twice on Sunday.

Late 70s early 80's compared to mid to late 90's is a little more than a decade.

As far as compairing Duncan to Shaq you said you would take a Duncan type player if i understand it right. I mention earlier that it depend on what kind of player you like would pick your side of the debate. :Thumbs:

MR KIMBALL I respect your side of the debate and as a poster on this board I would hope you would do the same.

All one has to do is go to the KHSAA site look up the basketball records and see who's name is there and who isn't.

May was a fine athlete and player I have stated i didn't get to see him play much.I just like the way JR played and the way he carried himself on and off the court.That is why he is my #1.May seemed to be a little selfish and if it wasn't about him he picked up his toys and moved on. He did transferr twice so that says a lot.
new o Wrote:JR was recruited by a few D-1's and several mid-majors.

I was actually offered scholarships by many "high" D-1 schools, even though I don't see much difference in high and mid. I had verbal offers from Indiana, Notre Dame, Vanderbilt, Miss. State, Virginia Tech, Virginia, West Virginia, Ohio State, Penn State, Tennessee, Kansas, Florida, etc. My final three was between Vanderbilt, Notre Dame, and Marshall. I just chose Marshall because I wanted a lot of playing time, loved the fans there, plus it was close to home.
J. R. VanHoose Wrote:I was actually offered scholarships by many "high" D-1 schools, even though I don't see much difference in high and mid. I had verbal offers from Indiana, Notre Dame, Vanderbilt, Miss. State, Virginia Tech, Virginia, West Virginia, Ohio State, Penn State, Tennessee, Kansas, Florida, etc. My final three was between Vanderbilt, Notre Dame, and Marshall. I just chose Marshall because I wanted a lot of playing time, loved the fans there, plus it was close to home.

I remember it being on the news that Bobby Knight was at a game watching you on a recruiting trip. That was a really smart move not playing for him.Smile

I know that you could have played at all those schools and made a impact. And i understand why You choose Marshall. If i remember correctly you stayed for all 4 years and did not bounce around.Marshall was very lucky that you choose to play for them.

And another thing I think it shows a lot of class and cuts to come on here to set things straight.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:There is no comprison between May and Euton. May would be dominate in that battle. I found very few instances where Euton dominated anything this year with him towering over most of his opponents in a weak basketball area. Knipp is not even in the same league.

Yes, May would dominate Euton, Euton is overrated IMHO. Knipp last year was a 15 yr old freshman playing with 3 kids that could easily be first team all state this season. After a summer of playing on the same AAU team as Vinny Zollo, Dominique Ferguson, Michael Avery, etc. Look for him to be much more agressive. Todd May never seen that kind of competition........not in NAIA, don't even say it.
letthebighogroot Wrote:Yes, May would dominate Euton, Euton is overrated IMHO. Knipp last year was a 15 yr old freshman playing with 3 kids that could easily be first team all state this season. After a summer of playing on the same AAU team as Vinny Zollo, Dominique Ferguson, Michael Avery, etc. Look for him to be much more agressive. Todd May never seen that kind of competition........not in NAIA, don't even say it.

I will admit i was off base about Euton.I think he might be just a hair better outside shooter,But May has more tools for sure.

You hit the nail on the head about Knipp and the competition factor

Was the Terry kid from Rose Hill playing with them?

I hope this is ok to talk about this here.Knipp and Terry are big men in the 16th region present day.
Not sure on the Terry kid.....Did he play with Team Indiana/Indiana Elite?
I haven't heard where he played at.

*Edited by BGR Staff for spelling/grammar. Please use correct spelling and grammar the next time you post.*
How many games did you guys see May play? I have watched every guy mentioned play more than a few and too say Knipp is better than May is a joke. I am tired of listening to the comparisons. You guys are showing your age when you say May could not compete today:lmao: I am done with this thread.
  •  Previous
  • 3(current)
  • Next