Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Virginia Military Institute 111 - Kentucky 103
BCF4L Wrote:That's the problem is the help defense. That's what was killing UK last night. They were playing a sagging man to man with help. When VMI would start to drive, you would have help, and leave a man wide open from the perimeter. That is exactly what a zone defense will give you. The only defense that would have worked last night would have been a man defense with no help. Just play straight up. Anything else would have been an even worse 3 point fest.
Basically, this team's defense is in trouble no matter what? Smile
I agree that UK played horrible but VMI has some REALLY GOOD shooters!!! Playing there style of basketball will be hard for any team to beat them. They lead the nation last season in scoring and 3 point percentage. Everyone is blaming coach BCG for the game when it was the players that didn't play D most of the time. He may be the coach but he can't get out there on the floor and make decisions for them. But I do agree he needs to play the right players. Like I said tho, I will stick with MY CATS through it all and I still think we will be pretty good this year.
Panther Thunder Wrote:Basically, this team's defense is in trouble no matter what? Smile
Eggzactly. Big Grin Honestly, this game should have been left up to the offense to slow it down. If you play at the pace your opponent wants you to, then you will lose majority of the time. This is where the inexperience at PG comes in.
BCF4L Wrote:Dude, I know you know basketball better than this. How are you going to run any kind of effective zone against a team that can nail a 3 as soon as they cross the timeline. You can't run a 3-2 zone when all 5 guys on the court can shoot. You will get killed from the corner with a defense like that. We all know a 2-3 won't work. The most effective defense against a team like VMI is straight up man to man. No help side crap like we ran yesterday. The minute you go to help on defense, you are leaving someone else open for a 3. The best thing to do is to play straight up with no weakside help. The worst thing that can happen is a 2 pointer; and with a 3 point shooting team like VMI, I would be tickled with matching 2's instead of 3's.

I guess I don't know basketball better than this, because last I checked we gave up 111 points and lost, so it does not appear to me that straight man to man was the most effective way to play VMI. Like Panther Thunder said, maybe just switch it up during the game and see if it works, but gee make some sort of defensive adjustment of any kind. It couldn't have made it looked any worse that's for sure. Smile
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
alfus21 Wrote:I guess I don't know basketball better than this, because last I checked we gave up 111 points and lost, so it does not appear to me that straight man to man was the most effective way to play VMI. Like Panther Thunder said, maybe just switch it up during the game and see if it works, but gee make some sort of defensive adjustment of any kind. It couldn't have made it looked any worse that's for sure. Smile
Can't disagree with ya there. Last night was a game that you just want to forget. I don't know what it is about Rupp Arena anymore. It seems like every team that comes in just shoots the lights out. The place doesn't have the fear factor anymore.
It doesnt have the fear factor anymore because no one fears us after last year. My god Gardner Webb and San Diego beat UK at Rupp with far less talent. BCG just can not coach at all. But theres no point in me or anyone else saying anything because the idiots on here will never come to believe it. They think hes god or something, like hes the second coming. He is just an idiot that was the second or third choice that we had to settle for because no one else wanted to have to put up with the athletic department. UK has become the laughing stock of all college sports, except maybe for the cheerleading squad.
Jed Clampett Wrote:Gilispie couldn't coach a good high school team. First it was Gardener - Webb and now VMI. This team won't even be a eight seed and may not make the tournament. Maybe I start rooting got Uof L.:ChairHit:

Well we will embrace you to the dark side with open arms lol.
RavenBoy Wrote:Tubby was worse than Billy G. Lville is a football school so it means more.

WHAT. No the VILLE is not a football school. They had a few good years with Brohm and Bush but make no mistake U of L is a basketball school.
i only watched the last eight minutes of this game. What i saw was liggins trying to push the ball down the defenses throat witch backfired and converted into fastbreak points for VMI. And when the cats had the chance to get a defensive board Perry Stevenston just let Bell grab the rebound and put it back up for 2 easy points. If Kentucky wants to even be considered for the tourney Billy G. is gonna have to start using his head and not what has worked in the past, whatever happened at Texas A&M i dont think will work in the SEC
Wow....I did not see this coming. I thought UK was supposed to win this by 20+. Guess not. UK is a joke. They won't do nothing this year. They will get killed by UNC.
RavenBoy Wrote:Tubby was worse than Billy G. Lville is a football school so it means more.

I guess that's why the basketball team has two national titles and the football team has.......oh yeah....none.

Rolleyes
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Protect_This_House26 Wrote:Wow....I did not see this coming. I thought UK was supposed to win this by 20+. Guess not. UK is a joke. They won't do nothing this year. They will get killed by UNC.

UK loses ONE game and they are a joke? Good riddance to all you fair-weather fans.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
no this years UK basketball team isn't the joke.. its this years UK basketball team's so called fans.. for real.. one loss??? ONE LOSS??? the very first game of the year.. and you guys are crying and begging for a new coach.. you say this one can't coach, they suck.. what does it matter if we lose the first 10 games, as long as you get better later the season goes... if you think uk sucks, then leave.. no one needs bandwagon fans anyway.. but when things are good in lexington again.. dont come sayin you bleed blue
Braves_Fan_26 Wrote:Tribe, what is so wrong with people voicing their opinions on the loss tonight, cant you handle the truth that they just plain suck, get used to it because things arent going to get any better.

This thread isn't to talk about Louisville or their lose. That is a whole other topic so take it to another thread.

Most wanted rid of Tubby, you got it.
Most were excited when BCG was brought up, you got it.
We wanted wins for our exhibitions, we got it.
We lost one game that shouldn't have and where are you all now? Threatening to cheer for Louisville instead? If you do then you don't need to be a UK fan to start with.

The Wildcats used to have the best fans that anyone could ever ask for but man it seems like they are the first to turn their back on a team when things don't go their way. The same thing happened with Rich Brooks too. It is embarassing to see how many people are willing to talk so much crap against Gillispie, the same people that talked so much crap about Tubby. Will you EVER be satisfied? Will it take winning the national tournament in our second year under this coach for the hating to stuff or will you complain then too?

I wanted rid of Tubby, I got it. I wanted Gillispie, I got it. I'm here for the long haul, even if it takes SEASONS to be the team that we should be.

C-A-T-S CATS CATS CATS!

How many times has Kentucky beat VMI?
I have been wanting Gillispie gone since last season. The man does not know how to coach, not this team anyway. Tubby never lost these kinds of games and you all know it. Im not a bandwagon fan, im just not a fan. I am a fan of the sport as a whole, not just one team. I like to see other teams play to see how good they are. Another point to make here is that VMI was 14-15 last year and like someone else said before they will likely finish 3rd or 4th in their conference. These players did all they could do having to play for this sorry coach, its hard for them to play harder when he practices them on gamedays, no team can handle that. Its time he loses his pride and coaches this team the right way.
Braves_Fan_26 Wrote:I have been wanting Gillispie gone since last season. The man does not know how to coach, not this team anyway. Tubby never lost these kinds of games and you all know it. Im not a bandwagon fan, im just not a fan. I am a fan of the sport as a whole, not just one team. I like to see other teams play to see how good they are. Another point to make here is that VMI was 14-15 last year and like someone else said before they will likely finish 3rd or 4th in their conference. These players did all they could do having to play for this sorry coach, its hard for them to play harder when he practices them on gamedays, no team can handle that. Its time he loses his pride and coaches this team the right way.
Tubby would have won this game but would lose every game in march.
Pitiful...
This game was not the cupcake most of you guys make it sound like. This is a team that averages around 90 points per game. They lead the nation in scoring last year. This isn't the Gardner Webb or San Diego of this year. I guarantee anyone that was playing VMI Friday night would have had fits. Look at UNC. They only beat Penn by 15 points and were only ahead by 10 with a couple of minutes left. If VMI would have shot like this against UNC, UNC would no longer be your #1 team. It wasn't just a lack of defense on UK's part, VMI had a lot to do with it as well.
BCF4L Wrote:This game was not the cupcake most of you guys make it sound like. This is a team that averages around 90 points per game. They lead the nation in scoring last year. This isn't the Gardner Webb or San Diego of this year. I guarantee anyone that was playing VMI Friday night would have had fits. Look at UNC. They only beat Penn by 15 points and were only ahead by 10 with a couple of minutes left. If VMI would have shot like this against UNC, UNC would no longer be your #1 team. It wasn't just a lack of defense on UK's part, VMI had a lot to do with it as well.

I agree 100%!!:Thumbs:
BCF4L Wrote:This game was not the cupcake most of you guys make it sound like. This is a team that averages around 90 points per game. They lead the nation in scoring last year. This isn't the Gardner Webb or San Diego of this year. I guarantee anyone that was playing VMI Friday night would have had fits. Look at UNC. They only beat Penn by 15 points and were only ahead by 10 with a couple of minutes left. If VMI would have shot like this against UNC, UNC would no longer be your #1 team. It wasn't just a lack of defense on UK's part, VMI had a lot to do with it as well.

And that was without psycho t in the line up or they would have killed Penn.
This is what i am talking about with UK fans. When they are winning everone is on the band-wagon. When they are down, they jump off. A true fan is for there team no matter if they are winning or losing.

Agreeing with you on this. They shot the lights out of the 3. Was it 11 that went in before a miss? And what? 14 foul shots or so before a miss? They were ON that game and UK just wasn't. We had a down night as a team. We weren't making a lot of shots that should have easily went in. Meeks was the only player that seemed to have hot hands. Patterson was in foul trouble and didn't play a lot. PG couldn't do crap for us. We have too many turnovers. A lot of factors were working against us. VMI was just having it their way. Like BC said, they average 90 points a game and as a small school like that, they have some big numbers. Anyone would have had their hands full Friday night.

i think the only positive thing that came from this lose is that Meeks looks good enough drop 30 a night. and plus now i think Billy G has gotten on to the guards for not gettin there ball the the best player they have right now in Patrick Patterson. So i think alot of postive things came from this lose but Billy G really needs to condition his team
sherman14 Wrote:How many times has Kentucky beat VMI?

Since 1914, they have played a total of 8 times, including Friday nights game. Kentucky is overall 5-3 against VMI. The last time they beat us was in 1922, at VMI. The most recent game against VMI was in 2001, in Rupp Arena, and Kentucky won 99-57.
dore20 Wrote:And that was without psycho t in the line up or they would have killed Penn.
Yeah well injuries happen. UK got no sympathy last year when they were losing to terrible teams without Meeks, Harris, Patterson, Crawford, Bradley, etc. Each of these players missed at least one game last year if not more. Teams have to make adjustments when a star player goes out and UNC has far enough talent to destroy a Penn team without Hansbrough.
ComfortEagle Wrote:UK loses ONE game and they are a joke? Good riddance to all you fair-weather fans.

Well shoot, what do you expect? UK was supposed to be good this year. They aren't supposed to lose to teams like VMI. But, I shouldn't judge UK on one game that they played bad in.
I will judge them because it hasnt been just one game. It was like this last year before Miller, Liggins, and Harrellson, and according to all of you, they are better than Crawford and Bradley. So, you tell me what the problem is. Its not the players because there are enough talented players on this team to contend with the likes of UNC, and other better teams, but they cant do it because of the coach. He doesnt run the right defense, he practices the players on gameday, something that should never be allowed, doesnt know how to put a decent lineup on the court, ****, I cant think of one good thing he does. The reason VMI shot the 3 so well was because there was no defense. Patterson was a non factor, not because the guards werent getting him the ball, but because he was in foul trouble. Besides, if he hadnt been in foul trouble it wouldnt have mattered, the VMI players were killing our guards and other players on D, they didnt have a chance to get the ball to him, for him to get blocked or miss a shot anyway. I get so sick of everyone making patterson out to be a savior for this team, hes not even close to being a great player. The fans that **** me off are the ones that think UK will overcome, or they will do this or that. They cant admit that UK sucks worse now than they did with Tubby(the real coach). UK wont do anything people, not as long as gillispie is the man in charge. The worst thing that ever happened to UK was when Barnhardt was named AD and went in search of and landed the some the worst possible coaches for the major UK sports programs.
BCF4L Wrote:That's the problem is the help defense. That's what was killing UK last night. They were playing a sagging man to man with help. When VMI would start to drive, you would have help, and leave a man wide open from the perimeter. That is exactly what a zone defense will give you. The only defense that would have worked last night would have been a man defense with no help. Just play straight up. Anything else would have been an even worse 3 point fest.

I'm going to take your side in this argument here. I agree that the man-to-man defense wasn't the problem, it was the help defense. Like you said, whoever left to help out on a drive would leave their man wide open for a three. And that was the problem. They should have stayed with the straight man, and each player needs to be responsible for their man. UK has good enough athletes that I would take my chances trying to guard VMI one-on-one. What would you rather the other team take, a contested 2-point shot on a drive to the lane, or a wide open three-ball? The answer seems obvious.

Funny thing, this is the same kind of crap I used to yell at Tubby for, because he left perimeter shooters wide open all the time with his defense. Now we have a new coach, yet I see the same nonsense all over again.
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]