Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Massey CEO Don Blankenship on Global Warming and Cap and Trade
Mr.Kimball Wrote:Just about everything we do , manufacture, mine , or what ever it may be , someone comes out and says it causes cancer.

What about the guy that runs a rock drill when they build roads? He gets the same thing as the guy who runs a drill when they mine coal. Ever hear of silicosis? Does this mean we outlaw building roads?

What about the people and the health hazards that come from mining iron ore, bauxite(aluminum), gold, silver, copper, gypsum, diamonds, emeralds, rubys, and on and on and on and on and on. Do we stop mining this stuff too?

Hey, if it's in the ground, then that means we take a shovel and dig it out of the ground, right?

Ask any doctor or scientist and they will tell you everything we do causes cancer. Working around chemicals causes cancer, smoking causes cancer, too much drinking causes cancer, grilling your food over charcoal causes cancer, naturally occuring radon from the ground causes cancer, Nuclear radiation causes cancer, burning wood causes cancer, Standing too long in the sunlight causes cancer. And this list just goes on and on and on. I dont understand this whole idiotic drift into this discussion.

Unless any of you are willing to take the diamond studded gold, silver or platinum rings, watches, and earings from your body; If you are not willing to park your vehicles (because they are made of steel, plastic, fiberglass and rubber); If you are not willing to kick the tobacco habit; If you are not willing to abstain from the 6pack habit; If yoiu are not willing to stay out of the tanning beds; If you are not willing to live in a house with no sheetrock; If you are not willing to throw your cans of insect spray away; If you are not willing to live in a house without copper wiring and plumbing; If you choose to not have electricity in your homes; If you are not wanting anything you own to have a coat of paint on it; If you are not willing to ......etc, etc, etc, etc, etc.....THEN YOU ARE ALL JUST HYPOCRITES, and should just shut up.....period.

You'll jump on coal and the producers , but you dont say a word about any of the other stuff which is much more dangerous and environmentaly unfriendly than mining coal.

This is all stuff that one would expect from someone with the mentality of DW, but I am amazed at the ignorance of some of you others.

For a bunch of people that are claiming to be so intelligent, the level of ignorance, hypocrisy, and just plain old stupidity is astounding.

Best post I have ever seen on BGR. Very well done sir! :Clap::notworthy
Mr.Kimball Wrote:Just about everything we do , manufacture, mine , or what ever it may be , someone comes out and says it causes cancer.

What about the guy that runs a rock drill when they build roads? He gets the same thing as the guy who runs a drill when they mine coal. Ever hear of silicosis? Does this mean we outlaw building roads?

What about the people and the health hazards that come from mining iron ore, bauxite(aluminum), gold, silver, copper, gypsum, diamonds, emeralds, rubys, and on and on and on and on and on. Do we stop mining this stuff too?

Hey, if it's in the ground, then that means we take a shovel and dig it out of the ground, right?

Ask any doctor or scientist and they will tell you everything we do causes cancer. Working around chemicals causes cancer, smoking causes cancer, too much drinking causes cancer, grilling your food over charcoal causes cancer, naturally occuring radon from the ground causes cancer, Nuclear radiation causes cancer, burning wood causes cancer, Standing too long in the sunlight causes cancer. And this list just goes on and on and on. I dont understand this whole idiotic drift into this discussion.

Unless any of you are willing to take the diamond studded gold, silver or platinum rings, watches, and earings from your body; If you are not willing to park your vehicles (because they are made of steel, plastic, fiberglass and rubber); If you are not willing to kick the tobacco habit; If you are not willing to abstain from the 6pack habit; If yoiu are not willing to stay out of the tanning beds; If you are not willing to live in a house with no sheetrock; If you are not willing to throw your cans of insect spray away; If you are not willing to live in a house without copper wiring and plumbing; If you choose to not have electricity in your homes; If you are not wanting anything you own to have a coat of paint on it; If you are not willing to ......etc, etc, etc, etc, etc.....THEN YOU ARE ALL JUST HYPOCRITES, and should just shut up.....period.

You'll jump on coal and the producers , but you dont say a word about any of the other stuff which is much more dangerous and environmentaly unfriendly than mining coal.

This is all stuff that one would expect from someone with the mentality of DW, but I am amazed at the ignorance of some of you others.

For a bunch of people that are claiming to be so intelligent, the level of ignorance, hypocrisy, and just plain old stupidity is astounding.

I just love it. Smile
I don't believe that coal causes cancer, in the fact of mining it, you do get black lung, but when the local Pikeville paper tells you that your major drinking supply, which comes from trashtrap, or Fishtrap, as it is supposed to be called is telling you not to consume more than 6 fish a year out of it because of the mercury and whatever else it contains, it throws up a red flag. The state of Virginia has allowed Consol to dump their mine sludge into the Levisa river upstream in Grundy and God knows who else in there and it stops at the Fishtrap dam, which is our drinking water. Now you tell me that the cancer rate in Pike co. is not over the charts as to those dropping off like flies. The answer is not to stop mining but to get rid of it elsewhere. That is fact, people are dying like crazy from cancer in this town, especially if you have city water.
mrsportsfan Wrote:I don't believe that coal causes cancer, in the fact of mining it, you do get black lung, but when the local Pikeville paper tells you that your major drinking supply, which comes from trashtrap, or Fishtrap, as it is supposed to be called is telling you not to consume more than 6 fish a year out of it because of the mercury and whatever else it contains, it throws up a red flag. The state of Virginia has allowed Consol to dump their mine sludge into the Levisa river upstream in Grundy and God knows who else in there and it stops at the Fishtrap dam, which is our drinking water. Now you tell me that the cancer rate in Pike co. is not over the charts as to those dropping off like flies. The answer is not to stop mining but to get rid of it elsewhere. That is fact, people are dying like crazy from cancer in this town, especially if you have city water.

Unfortunately,people die like crazy from cancer in all towns........... Reckon it could have anything to do with the higher rate of tobacco usage in eastern Kentucky also?
Mr.Kimball Wrote:Unfortunately,people die like crazy from cancer in all towns........... Reckon it could have anything to do with the higher rate of tobacco usage in eastern Kentucky also?

I'm not referring to Eastern Kentucky in general, I'm referring to Pike Co.
mrsportsfan Wrote:I'm not referring to Eastern Kentucky in general, I'm referring to Pike Co.
Uh,.......... OK. :confused:
Problems in Eastern Kentucky
1. Substandard education system (for 90%)
2. Drug problem of epic proportions
3. Poor health due to tobacco use, poor diet (fast food and pop for 90%), lack of exercise, obesity (2/3 are grossly overweight)
1,500,601,532. Coal mining

Unless any of you are willing to take the diamond studded gold, silver or platinum rings, watches, and earings from your body; If you are not willing to park your vehicles (because they are made of steel, plastic, fiberglass and rubber); If you are not willing to kick the tobacco habit; If you are not willing to abstain from the 6pack habit; If yoiu are not willing to stay out of the tanning beds; If you are not willing to live in a house with no sheetrock; If you are not willing to throw your cans of insect spray away; If you are not willing to live in a house without copper wiring and plumbing; If you choose to not have electricity in your homes; If you are not wanting anything you own to have a coat of paint on it; If you are not willing to ......etc, etc, etc, etc, etc.....THEN YOU ARE ALL JUST HYPOCRITES, and should just shut up.....[B]period.[/B]

With all due respect, I'm not talking about mining coal, I was talking about burning it and sending the pollution from it into the air. I could really care less about the miners heath problems from mining, it's a choice they make, just like the ill effects of working around asbestos sometimes is a choice I make to do or not do. The burning of coal affects everybody else. Feel free to show some facts as to the cancer rate from mining gold, silver or copper that goes into the atmosphere and we will discuss it. The fact is, that mined coal gets burned, gold, silver and copper doesn't. Mining those minerals that aren't coal hurts only the miners, if that, and doesn't harm the rest of the world. Coal does.

The bolded paragraph shows that you are a typical republican, stating stuff that is apples and oranges to burning coal. All that you mention isn't burning and getting into the atmosphere to harm everybody else except the workers of it. Coal does.
phs1986 Wrote:Good lord.... get this back on topic!!! The thread title doesn't mention doctors OR cancer in it so please, go another direction on this one or start yourselves another thread!!!
I see that somehow my response to this post was deleted. Coal's polluting effects and cancer causing effects are very relevant to cap and trades "paying to pollute". The cancer subject is on topic to this threads cap and trade subject.
TheRealVille Wrote:I see that somehow my response to this post was deleted. Coal's polluting effects and cancer causing effects are very relevant to cap and trades "paying to pollute". The cancer subject is on topic to this threads cap and trade subject.

Mine was deleted too so im not even going to reply to these politic threads anymore, let opinions be opinions, not worth fighting this much over,
TheRealVille Wrote:A republican that has nothing intelligent to offer to any discussion, only ignorant, snide, half witted comments, congratulating another republican. What else is new in your world?
Who ever said that I was a republican to begin with? Never once have I ever, ever at any time stated my party preference. I am more along the line of advocating just plain simple common sense politics. I dont care if someone is green , blue, democrat , independent, republican ,or whatever. If what they say and do makes sense, then that's my choice of polititian. But lets hold on here for one more moment and let me make this 100% clear. I detest career polititians. I tend to go for these guys that dont care if they get re-elected or not. They are in there to do a job, get it done, and get it done right. I am not the least bit interested in the guy who doesn't want to make too many waves for fear that he wont get another term. I want a guy in office that is there to serve the people and our country's best interests and who is looking out for all of our well beings, not a guy that does this because it's a heck of a lot easier than getting a job and going to work. So just be sure to recognize that nothing I post is party affiliated. Do you understand that?

Now to address your uncalled for personal remarks. While your post was quoted along with my response, I was not necessarily aiming anything towards you personally. First off, I was not particulary even talking about burning coal, and I was not the lame brain that brought carcinic issues to the whole conversation. Did you help with that one? I just mearly expanded on and/or dispelling on the other posts made on the subject. I was however, makimg mention of the environmental issues of the mining process and how it effects the environment. The point I was trying to make is that while yes there are aspects to mining coal that does have to be addressed, and I am 100% for doing what it takes to be responsible enough to not permanently destroy our habitat, I want to make sure that everyone realizes that all of the other stuff that I mentioned , has the exact same effect whether it be aesthetic scars or is personal heath hazard related.

Does it take a rocket scientist to be able to figure out from which angle I was coming from? I hardly doubt that you or anyone else could not figure out the direction from which I was coming and which I was heading in. It's just interesting that some are telling how bad the coal industry is and the awful evils things that the industry does, yet nobody wants to be responsible enough with their critical posts about what the effects are of all the other minable resources that I mentioned. There is no difference in any of them. How about someone admitting the scars and environmental issues that the miles and miles of huge pits that are created when they mine copper. Is that not a permanent scar on the land. Is is not a permanent scar on the land when we quarry limestone to make roads or use as building material. How come we dont have to return those areas back to their original contours? How come we can blast the sides of mountains away to extract granite or marble for building purposes and not return those areas to their original contours too? Why is is only brought up concerning coal. Ever see what clear cutting a forest does to the environment? Ever see the silt runoff and what it does to streams, not to mention the ugliness that it leaves? Talk about hypocritical. How about the stip mining that is done when bauxite, iron ore, lead, and all of the other metals. Is the damage it creates any different than what stripping coal does? No it is not. Trust me, there are chemical compounds that dilute the water streams at the locations that they are extracted too? Before some Einstein gets on here and wants to go the nuclear route. How in the heck do they think that plutonium and uranium are obtained to make nuclear power anyways. It is strip mined just like coal is, with the ores extracted. How come no one wants to talk about potential radio active runoff with that bad boy?

Yeah, you can get on here and unjustly call me every name in the book. You can try to undermine whatever political preferences I may or may not have, but the one thing you cannot deny and change is that everything I said is all true and if you or anyone else is not able to look in the mirror and not agree with what I said in my original post, then there is no other conclusion than to say that they are a true hypocrit, because there is not one single person that will give up what I stated needed to be given up to avoid being cast in that category.

Lastly if you felt I was being personal towards you only then for that I apologize, but under no circumstance will I change or sugar coat what I said. It is all 100% truthful.
This one's done!!

If you need assistance feel free to e-mail me at:
[email=phs1986@bluegrassrivals.com]phs1986@bluegrassrivals.com[/email]