Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SV Basketball Coach out???
[quote author=bball fan link=topic=16834.msg210530#msg210530 date=1142285729]Virgie is our best feeder school right now! 
[/quote]
I don't have an opinion on this topic, but this is the funniest post I've read in a long time!!
:lol:
[quote author=bball ham link=topic=16834.msg209520#msg209520 date=1142170561]
C'mon, give Booher a break!!!  From what I have seen he has done a very good job.  Could it be that he is a Shelby Valley coach and not a Virgie coach?  Well deserving players from Dorton getting to play and getting the job done.  Would Greg Newsome give the Dorton boys a fair chance? Personally, I think he would but  I have heard that there are some hard feelings lingering from the County Tourney for a few years.  It's a shame Booher has to be caught between and Virgie and Dorton competition.  I think the kids from both schools would be fine if the parents could "GET OVER IT".
[/quote]

from what i hear there are a select few of the SV ball players that would never play under Greg Newsome-
What I want to know, is when did the kids whose parents whine all the time, and the kids who do just as much whining, pouting, and so forth get to become the players who got all the playing time? Whatever happened to the times when the kids who got to play were the kids who worked the hardest and played the hardest all year long. Just thinking about the good ol' days I suppose...

[move]Go Valley![/move]
I still think the Virgie parents are mad because Booher pulled up a 8th grader from Dorton instead of Virgie. 
[quote author=BasketBallonlyfan link=topic=16834.msg211765#msg211765 date=1142432801]
I still think the Virgie parents are mad because Booher pulled up a 8th grader from Dorton instead of Virgie. 
[/quote]

I went to Virgie, and it wasn't bad when I was an 8th grader (I'm a Senior now) because the top 5 players were already picked and they weren't going anywhere. (Kelsey, Seth, Paul Terry, etc.)  But I can deifnately see some of the parents that are over there now getting upset and pouting about this. Yet, I don't think it would be the parents whose kids could actually get a chance to play (like Hatfield or Newsome). Its probably more apt to be the parents who end up sending their kids to Pikeville so they'll get a chance to play. Or the parents who hold their kids back 3 or 4 extra years just so they might start when they FINALLY make it to high school.
Alot of you posters are giving Booher credit for having a regional title and a regional runner up.  Anybody should have been able to win the region last year with the talent that SV had, and Booher barely did that.  And as for this season, I don't think that SV was an overachiever in the regional tournament... I think they were an underachiever during the regular season.  Shelby Valley had more talent than most teams in the 15th, but didn't play like it all season long.  Booher definitely seems to be the type of coach that gets the least out of his players.  SV fans know that with the talent that is coming up that SV has the opportunity to have as good a team, if not better, than the SV teams of the past 4 years.  They just don't have confidence that Jason Booher will know what to do with it.
[quote author=King James link=topic=16834.msg211771#msg211771 date=1142433105]
Alot of you posters are giving Booher credit for having a regional title and a regional runner up.  Anybody should have been able to win the region last year with the talent that SV had, and Booher barely did that.  And as for this season, I don't think that SV was an overachiever in the regional tournament... I think they were an underachiever during the regular season.  Shelby Valley had more talent than most teams in the 15th, but didn't play like it all season long.  Booher definitely seems to be the type of coach that gets the least out of his players.  SV fans know that with the talent that is coming up that SV has the opportunity to have as good a team, if not better, than the SV teams of the past 4 years.  They just don't have confidence that Jason Booher will know what to do with it.
[/quote]

Haha... I agree 100000%!
Just a thought about the 8th grader from Dorton being pulled up from someone who has no interst in Shelby Valley basketball.....If any of the other 8th graders from either of the two feeder schools were held back during their 7th or 8th grade seasons, they can't play varsity sports until they are freshmen. That's a KHSAA rule, if they were held back in say the 4th grade, they can play, but a kid held back in the 7th grade for two season and plays middle school sports both years, can't play varsity until he's a freshman.

Maybe that's why some of the other kids didn't get pulled up.
[quote author=King James link=topic=16834.msg211771#msg211771 date=1142433105]
[/quote]

I will give you credit for half of that.  Yes, his first year, he should have won the region hands down.  This year, after all his big guns quit or just refused to play for him.  Was he actually a regional contender?  Did people think he would go as far as he did AFTER his team quit?
Who exactly are the "big guns" that you are referring too?
[quote author=Youngerthandirt link=topic=16834.msg211826#msg211826 date=1142441172]
Just a thought about the 8th grader from Dorton being pulled up from someone who has no interst in Shelby Valley basketball.....If any of the other 8th graders from either of the two feeder schools were held back during their 7th or 8th grade seasons, they can't play varsity sports until they are freshmen. That's a KHSAA rule, if they were held back in say the 4th grade, they can play, but a kid held back in the 7th grade for two season and plays middle school sports both years, can't play varsity until he's a freshman.

Maybe that's why some of the other kids didn't get pulled up.
[/quote]
Actually, I believe that the rule reads that any student repeating any grade before entering the ninth gradeis not eligible to play varsity sports, during the second year of repeating a grade. In other words, if a kid is held back in the 8th grade, then their second year as an eighth grader, they can't play ANY High School sport. this includes freshmen teams, jr. varsity, or varsity. but let's say a kid repeats the 7th grade. Then when he is an 8th grader, he may play in any High School sport.
This is how it was explained to me, in a very indepth conversation with them, as I had contemplated on holding my own son back last year.
And by the way....I think it is rediculous for Booher to be on the hotseat already!!!
Why not actually let him prove he cannot coach at SVHS first?
Booher is probably a better coach than Rowe ...especially Doo Doe...lol..

However, if players won't play for him then he must be doing something wrong.  Not a Booher fan or a Rowe fan... Shelby Valley needs to give Greg newsonme a chance.  Look what he has done with the middle school program.  State CHamps last year and he knows these kids coming up.  He could not just go to state with this bunch but win it.
[quote author=pedro link=topic=16834.msg211934#msg211934 date=1142453910]
Booher is probably a better coach than Rowe ...especially Doo Doe...lol..

However, if players won't play for him then he must be doing something wrong.  Not a Booher fan or a Rowe fan... Shelby Valley needs to give Greg newsonme a chance.  Look what he has done with the middle school program.  State CHamps last year and he knows these kids coming up.  He could not just go to state with this bunch but win it.
[/quote]

Why doent Greg do what every other high school coach has done.  Why dont he be a high school assistant coach for a few years before he becomes a head coach.  Yes, he won the middle school tourney two years ago, but he did it with all hold backs.  He wont be able to hold back his best players in the high school level.  He should become the assistant coach like every other ones do then work his way up to the head coaching job.
Anyone can be a good X's and O's coach if you study the game enough. The fact is that Jason Booher is still in a rebuilding stage at SV as far as integrating his coaching style and philosophy into what SV had done previously. He didn't have a good W-L record before coming to SV mainly because he was at Belfry which at the time didn't have the players they do now, since they have the new school. I like what Booher does. He plays more that 6 players every game and has probably got the ball down low more times this season than SV has seen in a long time. He takes the money given to the basetball program and uses it wisely. From my standpoint, there is no "I" in Jason Booher. It's not all about him and his record, its about the players and trying to help them be successful.
I think that Valley needs a new face or A ROWE back if its not goin to be a ROWE then if tour going to get some one make it someone no one knows about!!!!IMO
I think Booher or the next coach (if there is one) needs to make a statement to the community and let them know that the only people that need to be involved with SV's program are the coaches, players, and the administration. Parents, "big wigs," and others who contribute financially should not be directly involved with the coaches decisions based on the game. For too many years now SV has had many struggles with politics in that area placing a negative on the program and negative attitudes in the players.
Belfry had a better team when Booher was there than Casey had last year and Casey took his to the regional championship and Booher had a loosing season. Riddle touched the ball 7 times against Johnson Central, he should have scored at will on them but they didn't get him the ball, touched the ball twice in the second half against Belfry but they still won luckily. Valley got to the championship on hot shooting not coaching. If wasn't for Boohers big wig he wouldn't have gotten the job to start with.
[quote author=eldorado link=topic=16834.msg212250#msg212250 date=1142485583]
I think Booher or the next coach (if there is one) needs to make a statement to the community and let them know that the only people that need to be involved with SV's program are the coaches, players, and the administration. Parents, "big wigs," and others who contribute financially should not be directly involved with the coaches decisions based on the game. For too many years now SV has had many struggles with politics in that area placing a negative on the program and negative attitudes in the players.
[/quote]

The only problem with that statement is, the 8th graders parents and "big wigs" are the ones trying to hand pick the next coach.  If they get their wish and do, do you not think that they will have their fingers in the pie like they have tried to this year?  And if the parents gets their way and they do hand pick the next coach, dont you think he will do what the parents want so he will be able to keep his job?
Be Careful With Your Posts, This Thread Is Being Watched Closely  :thumpsup:
OMG Everyone keeps saying Virgie has holdbacks is the reason that they were so good the last 2 yrs. The Newsome boys are not holdbacks. Just good ball players. Also Cody Varney is not a holdback another good ballplayer. Not everyone thinks they have to hold their child back in school so he/she will be the next big STAR. Some parents have faith in their childrens abilitiy to play ball. Give the kids credit where credit is due.
[quote author=SV Wildcats link=topic=16834.msg212323#msg212323 date=1142518819]
OMG Everyone keeps saying Virgie has holdbacks is the reason that they were so good the last 2 yrs. The Newsome boys are not holdbacks. Just good ball players. Also Cody Varney is not a holdback another good ballplayer. Not everyone thinks they have to hold their child back in school so he/she will be the next big STAR. Some parents have faith in their childrens abilitiy to play ball. Give the kids credit where credit is due.
[/quote]

Cody Varney goes to Dorton... he doesn't play for Virgie
If Booher decides to return he will have another shot at going to the state again because he is a good coach, irregardless of who comes up from the middle schools or who abandons our community again for personal and selfish reasons.
Quote:
Terrific Post...abandoning the community for "personal and selfish reasons" seems to be the theme here! 
[quote author=BasketBallonlyfan link=topic=16834.msg211765#msg211765 date=1142432801]
[/quote]

well u are incorrect- nicely stated. The Virgie boys chose to stay with their team and not come to Valley to play.
[quote author=top-of-the-key link=topic=16834.msg212366#msg212366 date=1142523459]
[/quote]

well u are incorrect- nicely stated. The Virgie boys chose to stay with their team and not come to Valley to play.
[/quote]

In all honesty..I don't think the Virgie boys would have gotten to play..Elijah has to be one of, if not the best, ball handler in the 15th region, that is why he was playing for our varsity team, not just because this boy and that boy decided not to play, its because he could control and be the floor general under tons of pressure. I jsut wanna say that some of the coaching by Booher in region made me question his thoughts, we have a few people on the team who shoot really well from behind the arch, one for instance goes 2/3 in the first quarter, but he didn't play at all in the 2nd quarter.
[quote author=eldorado link=topic=16834.msg212131#msg212131 date=1142477778]
Anyone can be a good X's and O's coach if you study the game enough. The fact is that Jason Booher is still in a rebuilding stage at SV as far as integrating his coaching style and philosophy into what SV had done previously. He didn't have a good W-L record before coming to SV mainly because he was at Belfry which at the time didn't have the players they do now, since they have the new school. I like what Booher does. He plays more that 6 players every game and has probably got the ball down low more times this season than SV has seen in a long time. He takes the money given to the basetball program and uses it wisely. From my standpoint, there is no "I" in Jason Booher. It's not all about him and his record, its about the players and trying to help them be successful.
[/quote]

I've seen some stupid posts but this tops all. Obviously you have no basketball IQ. Any coach could have a winning season at Valley and a half way decent can get lucky and win a Regional title but barely. And that's just because the 15th Region is terrible right now. HAHA and as far as Belfry goes, Booher had Maynard,Case,Jones,Doug Howard and could have had his best player Paul Howard but Booher kicked him off the team . So your saying he didn't have any talent at Belfry I beg to differ. How is Booher still in the rebuilding stage at Valley theres nothing to rebuild besides adminstrators. His own players will tell you his ruined more at the school than anyone coud have imagined. People at Belfry was jumping for joy when he left.
[/quote]

Sheww please dont post anymore, all the boys you mention are HOLDBACKS and Varney doesn't play for Virgie. Sounds like you definatley know what your talking about. And if you want to talk about Virgie lets talk about who started the streak of 4 or 5 County titles in a row it was the Senior boys at Valley and guess what? NONE of them players were HOLDBACKS, a few played this year at Valley but most didnt. Seth Kiser never won a County Tournament but they still spoiled him to death and always tryed to place him high above everyone else in gradeschool and highschool and then they see how Seth treats them in return, Good decision. I'm not dissing Seth because he was great but this is why kids lose interest in basketball, because the parents fill their kid full of shit.
[quote author=Diamond Lady link=topic=16834.msg212337#msg212337 date=1142519907]
irregardless of who comes up from the middle schools or who abandons our community again for personal and selfish reasons.
Quote:
Terrific Post...abandoning the community for "personal and selfish reasons" seems to be the theme here! 
[/quote]

What other reasons are there besides "personal" reasons?  Selfish implies you're doing something with your OWN best-interests in mind.  What's wrong with that when it comes to your FUTURE?

I guess John Pelfrey choosing to go to UK rather than Eastern Kentucky or Pikeville College was him "abandoning" his Eastern Ky. "community?

...so, if a kid chooses to go to a school other than the one closest to where they live because it has a better academic reputation (% of student body to college, average ACT scores, etc.) and a better chance for overall TEAM success, he's somehow "abandoning" his community?

Same thing happens in Johnson County where many out-in-the-county kids choose to go to Paintsville...not necessarily seen as "traitors" though as it seems in Pike.

I personally think that you give Booher to much credit for the success of Valley bb program. I think that you need to go back and look at your feeder schools and their coaches. Greg Newsome and Randy Davis are two excellent coaches that put their heart and soul into coaching. These two guys have made Valley bb program be a success over the years along with past coaches at each school. As for where athletes attended middle school should never surface when they reach high school. Feeder schools are the key to any successful hgih school program ,just ask Haywood at Belfry. :thumpsup: :thumpsup:
[quote author=NoWeakness link=topic=16834.msg212896#msg212896 date=1142619772]
[/quote]

Sheww please dont post anymore, all the boys you mention are HOLDBACKS and Varney doesn't play for Virgie. Sounds like you definatley know what your talking about. And if you want to talk about Virgie lets talk about who started the streak of 4 or 5 County titles in a row it was the Senior boys at Valley and guess what? NONE of them players were HOLDBACKS, a few played this year at Valley but most didnt. Seth Kiser never won a County Tournament but they still spoiled him to death and always tryed to place him high above everyone else in gradeschool and highschool and then they see how Seth treats them in return, Good decision. I'm not dissing Seth because he was great but this is why kids lose interest in basketball, because the parents fill their kid full of shit.
[/quote]

I no that Cody plays for Dorton and yes I do no what i'm talking about. I work at the school where these boys started kindergarten and was with them each yr. in their class rooms until they went to the middle school. This will make their 3rd. yr at the middle school so yes I no what i'm talking about and no they have not been held back.