Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Landon to Louisville?
I don't think impersonating a moderator is against the rules....but it can certainly be confusing if you don't look at his status and see that it says "equipment manager."
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Landon has been nothing but a young well mannered gentleman to me. As far as his "Ballin", It has been a pleasure to watch him.
However, I think once his college days are done, that he will be joining the coaching ranks as he knows the game that well. I said this about one other player during their High School years. That was John Pelphrey.
For what it is worth, There is no better College Coach out there with a better ability to get people to understand basketball, than Pitino. He has a great track record for turning former players into top notch coaches. Landon.....I have no idea if you would ever see the floor(but I think you would) at UofL. But the knowledge you would gain would be astronomical. Even if Pitino doesn't offer, a "Walk-on membership might be a consideration for you.
If you have no desire to coach after college, then I suggest consiering a school for both education and playing time. emphasis on E-D-U-C-A-T-I-O-N.
ComfortEagle Wrote:I don't think impersonating a moderator is against the rules....but it can certainly be confusing if you don't look at his status and see that it says "equipment manager."
I know.....but the first thing that popped into my head was Gomer Pyle wanting to arrest Barney on Andy Griffith.
The Guru Wrote:Landon has been nothing but a young well mannered gentleman to me. As far as his "Ballin", It has been a pleasure to watch him.
However, I think once his college days are done, that he will be joining the coaching ranks as he knows the game that well. I said this about one other player during their High School years. That was John Pelphrey.
For what it is worth, There is no better College Coach out there with a better ability to get people to understand basketball, than Pitino. He has a great track record for turning former players into top notch coaches. Landon.....I have no idea if you would ever see the floor(but I think you would) at UofL. But the knowledge you would gain would be astronomical. Even if Pitino doesn't offer, a "Walk-on membership might be a consideration for you.
If you have no desire to coach after college, then I suggest consiering a school for both education and playing time. emphasis on E-D-U-C-A-T-I-O-N.

very well said i agree 100%, pitino is by far one of the best in the business and if anybody has a slight chance of absorbing any knowledge he has throwing around they should definetely jump on it regardless of money...thats why i think it was very smart for the hayes kid to go to louisville...i dont know if im right on this but i dont think he's getting any money either, but the baseball coach at louisville McConnell is a real genius and he will learn alot from him...
The Guru Wrote:Landon has been nothing but a young well mannered gentleman to me. As far as his "Ballin", It has been a pleasure to watch him.

Couldn't agree more with that post right there, wow that is awesome. I have talked to Landon several times about his future and every time he brings up the fact that he would love to become a head coach. He is a student of the game and he still has a lot to learn. He has always been surrounded with basketball his whole life considering his whole family is basketball crazy and very competitve when it comes down to it, from his dad, uncles, cousins and what not. He is a smart and intelligient kid not only on the court but off as well and whatever decision he makes about his future will only benefit him and those around him. Great post Guru one of the best I have seen.
globetrotter12 Wrote:i think this thread has ran its race...This thread is closed!

your hilarious is that even possible
OMG Wrote:your hilarious is that even possible

It's possible but a moderator or administrator has to do it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I think Landon is a great kid, very smart & talented player. But honestly IMO he is not fast enough or big enough to play D-1 ball. But education is the main deal for him and using his talent to get a full ride scholarship is a good thing. If he wants to actually plan a lot at the next level he should consider NAIA or a small D-1. Even at the NAIA level you see alot of 6'7 guards and 6'9 forwards bringing the ball down the floor at un-believable speed. I would highly recommend that Landon go watch a Pikeville College, or Georgetown (KY), or Campbellsville U. Play. He just needs to go where he will be happy and stay. Too many mountain athletes go away to the big school and beat their parents back home. And besides, he could always transfer if his talent proves him out at the next level. I wish him only the best!
ComfortEagle Wrote:It's possible but a moderator or administrator has to do it.

yeh i know that, im saying where he wasn't an administrator or moderator if it was possible? i didn't think it was...that was the funny part...
BeaverCreek Connection Wrote:I think Landon is a great kid, very smart & talented player. But honestly IMO he is not fast enough or big enough to play D-1 ball. But education is the main deal for him and using his talent to get a full ride scholarship is a good thing. If he wants to actually plan a lot at the next level he should consider NAIA or a small D-1. Even at the NAIA level you see alot of 6'7 guards and 6'9 forwards bringing the ball down the floor at un-believable speed. I would highly recommend that Landon go watch a Pikeville College, or Georgetown (KY), or Campbellsville U. Play. He just needs to go where he will be happy and stay. Too many mountain athletes go away to the big school and beat their parents back home. And besides, he could always transfer if his talent proves him out at the next level. I wish him only the best!

i dont think he's that slow, and your probably right about NAIA, he would get to play, but if he's anything like me i would not be able to pass up an oppurtunity to play for a hall of fame coach, travel all over the nation, and become a true student of the game learning from the absolute best...theres no trading that...
RavenBoy Wrote::lmao:

BlueBells Wrote:Yes, we all read that quote and find it very hilarous. The only thing that that accomplished was it left all those D1 coaches saying...... If no one else wants him that has looked at him then I am not going to waste my time. BMR not only embarassed himself but he also put a dark cloud over his 6'3 senior guard. If I had been that family, I would of been ****ed. :mad:

I think uhavenoidea might have a pretty good point. As mentioned numerous times in this thread, BMR has a lot of connections in the college coaching ranks. Thanks to our very own JR Vanhoose (congrats on the big win over PC coach), John Pelphrey, Todd Tackett and Todd Porter to just name a few, Runyon has met and built relationships with a number of top notch college coaches. His coaching abilities are known throughout the college ranks, as well as his opinions highly respected. If BMR has went as far as to make this statement to a media outlet, then I firmly believe he means it. If he can't get the likes of Pitino, Gillispie and numerous others to notice Slone, then I'm sure he could say a few magic words to one coach and Slone would be there. As you have it, BMR played a crucial role in former Cat and Arkansas' head coach John Pelphrey's basketball career. I would go as far as to say that if BMR hasn't already, and does call Pelphrey up to tell him that Slone is good enough to play at Arkansas as Slone is as good as anyone he's ever coached, Pelphrey would take it as the gospel. So what I'm saying is, I'm sure if no one other D-1 school bites on Slone, I can confidently say that the Razorbacks would hold a spot for a likely red-headed mentoree. So be careful when poking fun, Landon may speak much louder with actions. No matter what do what's best for you and good luck Landon.
guys landon is a good ball player but i dont think he can play d-1 maybe play for a small collage such as pikeville or marshall. no one big ever went after brandon may and hes twice the ball player landon was.
allenator_10 Wrote:guys landon is a good ball player but i dont think he can play d-1 maybe play for a small collage such as pikeville or marshall. no one big ever went after brandon may and hes twice the ball player landon was.

I'm not knockin on B-May cause he was a **** of a player, but your dreamin if you think he was twice the player Landon is.
allenator_10 Wrote:guys landon is a good ball player but i dont think he can play d-1 maybe play for a small collage such as pikeville or marshall. no one big ever went after brandon may and hes twice the ball player landon was.
You don't think he can play D-1, but you think he can play for Marshall?
Kinda takes away from your credibility on this subject, doesn't it?
This is indeed kinda true.... he got a call from RICHARD Pitino but no offer or nothing like that....
he also got a call from Louisiana-Monroe.... and he has an offer from Georgetown..... this is where i got my info from......

http://www.bluegrassinsider.com/Feature....atureID=86
The Guru Wrote:You don't think he can play D-1, but you think he can play for Marshall?
Kinda takes away from your credibility on this subject, doesn't it?

what i was saying is a major d-1 and marshall is far from that they play no one expect memphis and wv all year. and all around b-may is a better player landon can't play defense b-may could.

Your kidding me right...I mean really are your serious?...This statement is probably the other way around...Landon is 2x the player B.May was...Landon was better than May as a sophomore, when May was a senior...Did May ever score over 40, lil lone 51 as a freshman against the best team in the region(SV)...May got tons of playing time and was no were near the shooter, scorer, etc. that Landon is....Landon has had a 2x better HS career than what May had...May was a heck of a player, but theres no way he's better than Landon is now, lil lone 2x better...But let's get this back on topic and not make any statements like this againSmile...Let's be proud of our mountain boys and give credit when credit is due....
Gosh, I really hope this young man signs with a D1 school. I would never be happier than seeing some people just "eat their words" or "stick their foot in their mouth" or how 'bout "look like dumbasses"!
I seem to remember lots and lots of peole saying the same thing about a young man named John Pelphrey. And Landon reminds me a lot of John, in ability and in his understanding of the game.

Rick Pitino, Louisville Head Coach and former Head Coach at Kentucky:
“John was the brightest player I’ve ever coached and the best leader. He not only
was the hardest worker, but he got everybody else working harder and playing better. I knew he was going to be a coach. It was easy to see."

So why wouldn't Pitino take a look at Landon knowing what John was about and knowing that Landon is coming from the same system John did.? Good Luck Landon no matter where you go.

I was giving the edge to Elijah Justice for the best player in the mountains, But I think Landon Slone is the best right now with Elijah a close second and Stepp third.

Whether or not Landon plays at the D1 level depends on if the Tigers can go to state and he can display his talent against other top talent. That's where you get the looks in my opinion. Virgie's Todd May- 3years in the Sweet 16, Clay County's Richie Farmer-5years in the Sweet 16, Paintsville's John Pelphry-3 or 4 years in the Sweet 16, Paintsville's Todd Tackett and J.R. Vanhoose-3 or 4 years in the Sweet 16. Jody Thompson from Feds Creek being the exception. If Paintsville doesn't make state, then Landon will go to a small school.

I believe the only D1 player in the mountains is Devon Adams from Pikeville. He's not D1 right now but he will get some serious looks next year. Just one mans opinion.
Elwayfan Wrote:I was giving the edge to Elijah Justice for the best player in the mountains, But I think Landon Slone is the best right now with Elijah a close second and Stepp third.

Whether or not Landon plays at the D1 level depends on if the Tigers can go to state and he can display his talent against other top talent. That's where you get the looks in my opinion. Virgie's Todd May- 3years in the Sweet 16, Clay County's Richie Farmer-5years in the Sweet 16, Paintsville's John Pelphry-3 or 4 years in the Sweet 16, Paintsville's Todd Tackett and J.R. Vanhoose-3 or 4 years in the Sweet 16. Jody Thompson from Feds Creek being the exception. If Paintsville doesn't make state, then Landon will go to a small school.

I believe the only D1 player in the mountains is Devon Adams from Pikeville. He's not D1 right now but he will get some serious looks next year. Just one mans opinion.

Devan's size will get him some looks, his skills and strength will have to be developed.
OffTheHook Wrote:
I seem to remember lots and lots of peole saying the same thing about a young man named John Pelphrey. And Landon reminds me a lot of John, in ability and in his understanding of the game.

Rick Pitino, Louisville Head Coach and former Head Coach at Kentucky:
“John was the brightest player I’ve ever coached and the best leader. He not only
was the hardest worker, but he got everybody else working harder and playing better. I knew he was going to be a coach. It was easy to see."

So why wouldn't Pitino take a look at Landon knowing what John was about and knowing that Landon is coming from the same system John did.? Good Luck Landon no matter where you go.

Yea, maybe the same skill set, but John Leslie was about 6'8".
Why is certain people saying anything about how good of a kid he is?
Im going to say this and this will sum up everything said about Landon Slone. He is a great ball player. Very skilled in many different ways when it comes to basketball and his education. If he does sign with Louisville, (I'm Saying IF he signs) then he will NOT see the playing time he requires. He would be a great fit with Marshall or Georgetown. My best bet for Slone would be Marshall. Looking at another similar player to Slone is Matt Walls. Matt Walls starts for Marshall and Slone would be an excellent back-up, may even take it spot in a couple of years. But saying Louisville would be a little bit to much for Slone and he would be very disappointed. Good Luck Landon to wherever you choose.!
RavenBoy Wrote:Why is certain people saying anything about how good of a kid he is?

You gotta be kidding me man. The way he handles himself on the court as well as off the court has a big influence on College Coaches. Post like this really make me sick!
I wish these people that are saying that Landon is talented enough to play at Lousiville would go watch Pikeville College play Georgetown... You have no idea how good those guys are. Landon could play for Pikeville or Georgetown, but he wouldn't see major time for either for the first couple years. Landon is a great eastern Kentucky basketball player. Alot better than I was, but the fact is he still isn't quick or strong enough to score and defend at a d-1 level. I am not knocking him by any means. But these kids at the NAIA schools would blow your mind at what they can do. I am sorry to say that there is no way he could actually contribute at a school like Louisville.
RavenBoy Wrote:Why is certain people saying anything about how good of a kid he is?
I have come to the conclusion that you have to be jealous of Landon.Why else would someone who doesn't even know him be so negative.:confused:
Larry Legend Wrote:I wish these people that are saying that Landon is talented enough to play at Lousiville would go watch Pikeville College play Georgetown... You have no idea how good those guys are. Landon could play for Pikeville or Georgetown, but he wouldn't see major time for either for the first couple years. Landon is a great eastern Kentucky basketball player. Alot better than I was, but the fact is he still isn't quick or strong enough to score and defend at a d-1 level. I am not knocking him by any means. But these kids at the NAIA schools would blow your mind at what they can do. I am sorry to say that there is no way he could actually contribute at a school like Louisville.

You are right Larry, but you also gotta look at where those players were BEFORE they ended up at Pikeville and G-town. How many of Pikeville's players came from D-1 schools cause they couldn't make the grades. IDK much about G-town but I'm sure they have the same kinda players who went bigger but couldn't make the grades. As him not seein much playin time the first couple years, look at Justin Hicks from Hazard. Everybody said the same about him and he has started every ballgame at PC as a freshman. If Pikeville didn't get the kinda players they have now and actually got kids straight outta high school, they wouldn't be any better than Alice Lloyd.
rebel mom Wrote:I have come to the conclusion that you have to be jealous of Landon.Why else would someone who doesn't even know him be so negative.:confused:

Cause he is a JBS fan.
J. R. VanHoose Wrote:I will give a little insight into this process! For me it was a very uncomfortable, hectic time. When I began to get recruited, I was in the 8th grade. At that time all colleges can do is send you a questionnaire, nothing more. They are not allowed to correspond reguarly with you until September 1 of your junior year. Once that came for me I got 50-60 pieces of mail at my house and at school every day. It would be newspaper articles, personal notes from coaches, crazy cartoons, things about life on campus, etc. Then once July 1 before your senior year begins coaches are allowed to call you once a week. On that first day for me, I recieved 27 calls from midnight until 11:15 PM that night. I kept a call log and the list of coaches that called reads like a "whos who" of college coaches: Bobby Knight, Tubby Smith, Gregg Marshall, Roy Williams, etc. Then in September the home visitins by the coaches began. In the two week period I had 16 different coaches in my house. By the end of that period, they were all ebginning to say the same thing! It was a crazy time!!!!

Now, that was the recruiting process as it relates to me. I don;t know if anyone else is experiencing this, but that is what happened to me.

As far as Landon is concerned. Can he play D-1 ball? Yes, in my opinion he can. Does it matter where? No, it shouldn't, but to some on here I believe it does. It seems that some believe schools like Eastern, Morehead, and even Marshall are lower level D-1 schools. When I was getting recruited, I don't recall any hype over "majors," "mid-majors," and "low-majors." D-1 was D-1! They all have the same amount of scholarships and you can go to college for free! We must remember, these are kids, nothing more. This should be the time of their life, because once they get to college, the percentage that move on to the pros is very small!

I made my choice because I wanted to play as a freshman, and I wanted to play alot. I got to do that and it just happened that my choice allowed me to stay close to home as well. What will Landon do? I am not sure, but I hope he makes a choice that is right for him, not what he thinks others want him to do. As long as he gets to play college basketball somewhere and get his education paid for, he has accomplished a lot in my book!!

That's true i got the boxes of letters to prove it and Landon is a great player he is on of the 6 guys that carry this team (paintsville)