Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Christian Co 69 Shelby Valley 66
Not trying to stir the pot, but after Hickey's performance against PCC and Valley, is it too out of the realm to think that he just might be better than Justice? He obviously has an advantage athletically and has a better shot, but an argument could be made when it comes to quickness and ball handling that they're even.

Please don't let your bias come in the way on this question...just trying to get an honest evaluation from those who were at the game since several on here (some Valley fans as well) thought Hickey was the better of the two..
kywldcat01 Wrote:Not trying to stir the pot, but after Hickey's performance against PCC and Valley, is it too out of the realm to think that he just might be better than Justice? He obviously has an advantage athletically and has a better shot, but an argument could be made when it comes to quickness and ball handling that they're even.

Please don't let your bias come in the way on this question...just trying to get an honest evaluation from those who were at the game since several on here (some Valley fans as well) thought Hickey was the better of the two..

I agree with ya man. This is probably where all **** breaks loose. lol.
A lot of people can argue that Justice isn't even the best in the Mountains, He's tough though..His stats and getting on the Lville Bench speaks for itself.
Overall talent I think they are as close to even as any two players in the state, with that said Elisha has one mabey two years more experience and imo is tougher.
Now next year I think Hickey should be highley concidered for Mr. Basketball.
Too bad Perry Central lost their lead in this one but Christian Co. is a very good club.
Within the week the 10th rated team beat 15th rated Bowling Green by 2,6th rated Shelby Valley by 3 at Shelby Valley Friday night and beat top rated in 14th region Perry Central by 4 Saturday night.
.A good showing for Perry Central.Has to help later in year to have played good teams like that.
kywldcat01 Wrote:Not trying to stir the pot, but after Hickey's performance against PCC and Valley, is it too out of the realm to think that he just might be better than Justice? He obviously has an advantage athletically and has a better shot, but an argument could be made when it comes to quickness and ball handling that they're even.

If you saw them on the floor together I think you would agree that the advantage athletically is not that obvious. Both got to the goal when they wanted and Justice is the better leaper of the two. After his other performances against top state competition do you think he may be the best player in the state?

Have you watched Justice play this year? I have watched him play almost every game this season. I have seen Hickey once, and even though Hickey is a very good player I would have to say that Justice is the better ball handler, better leaper, as far as quickness I would call it even, overall defense, I give the edge to Justice. The biggie though is what Justice means to this team, without him, they would struggle to get the ball down the floor, to set up their offense and to score. It isn't always about stats on a sheet, it's what a player does to make everyone on his team better, and that is what Justice does for this team, he makes everyone on the floor a threat to score because he sees the floor so well.
Some very good points but I think Hickery is just important to his team.I thought he was very smooth and run his team well.Remember he is only a junior.As far as jumping and ball-handling I thought Hickery was as good or better.
trufan Wrote:Have you watched Justice play this year? I have watched him play almost every game this season. I have seen Hickey once, and even though Hickey is a very good player I would have to say that Justice is the better ball handler, better leaper, as far as quickness I would call it even, overall defense, I give the edge to Justice. The biggie though is what Justice means to this team, without him, they would struggle to get the ball down the floor, to set up their offense and to score. It isn't always about stats on a sheet, it's what a player does to make everyone on his team better, and that is what Justice does for this team, he makes everyone on the floor a threat to score because he sees the floor so well.
Couldnt have said it better myself :Thumbs:

Elisha was double and triple teamed throughout the game. He didn't get many open looks. Christian County's ball movement got Hickey alot more open looks. I definitely don't think that its a given that Hickey is a better shooter than Elisha. Elisha is certainly the better, more confident ball handler. Hickey may have a little more open court speed, but quickness between the two is very even. If I had never seen either player until last night I can honestly say at this point I would still take Justice. Not by alot, but right now he is the better guard. He drew a lot more attention than Hickey did.
5timechamp Wrote:If you saw them on the floor together I think you would agree that the advantage athletically is not that obvious. Both got to the goal when they wanted and Justice is the better leaper of the two. After his other performances against top state competition do you think he may be the best player in the state?

I've seen Justice several times but I've seeen Hickey several times as well and I wouldn't say Justice is a better leaper. Hickey is just as explosive, if not more explosive. In the games against Holmes and Bowlign Green he was grabbing rebounds over players like Chane Behanan, Elijah Pittman, Jeremiah Johnson, and Ricardo Johnson.

Hickey is a legit top 10 player in the state right now as a junior...IMO of course. It's tough to argue him not being somewhere in the conversation considering the performances he's had throughout the season while also leading his team to a 17-3 record thus far.

trufan Wrote:Have you watched Justice play this year? I have watched him play almost every game this season. I have seen Hickey once, and even though Hickey is a very good player I would have to say that Justice is the better ball handler, better leaper, as far as quickness I would call it even, overall defense, I give the edge to Justice. The biggie though is what Justice means to this team, without him, they would struggle to get the ball down the floor, to set up their offense and to score. It isn't always about stats on a sheet, it's what a player does to make everyone on his team better, and that is what Justice does for this team, he makes everyone on the floor a threat to score because he sees the floor so well.

Again, I don't see why some of you keep saying Justice is a better leaper and ball handler. Hickey is very smooth with the ball and his quickness makes him just as tough to defend as Justice. Hickey also has a quicker first step off the dribble and is explosive going to the rim. He can rise up and throw one down on you if you don't respect his leaping ability. I'd also say they're even defensively. Hickey is a hound on defense and is in your face the entire game.

I also don't agree with your assessment that Hickey doesn't mean as much to his team as Justice. That's letting your bias get in the way. All I've read in both these threads is how Hickey took over at this time or that time and helped set up Lewis to have a big game. Hickey is too unselfish at times and that's why he doesn't average over 20 a game. IMO Hickey is more of a team player than Justice. Not saying Justice isn't a team player, but Hickey passes up shots a lot more than Justice in order to get his teammates involved.

Larry Legend Wrote:Elisha was double and triple teamed throughout the game. He didn't get many open looks. Christian County's ball movement got Hickey alot more open looks. I definitely don't think that its a given that Hickey is a better shooter than Elisha. Elisha is certainly the better, more confident ball handler. Hickey may have a little more open court speed, but quickness between the two is very even. If I had never seen either player until last night I can honestly say at this point I would still take Justice. Not by alot, but right now he is the better guard. He drew a lot more attention than Hickey did.

Did you ever think that Hickey didn't draw as much attention as Justice becaue Hickey simply has a better supporting cast than Justice? Lewis lit SV up because Hickey was able to drive and find him wide open in the corners for 3's.

Also, if SV supposedly didn't have Hickey as their main priority defensively then that's very bad coaching by Booher and he didn't prepare his team for this game. Hickey is CC's leading scorer at around 18 ppg.

Both are very good players but the only edge I'd give to Justice is experience and that's only because Hickey is a junior. Hickey has also proved himself against better competition this year. Now with that said, Justice is still a very good player regardless of competition.

And before I get people saying I'm bashing Elisha, realize I've said how good he is several times in these posts. I just think Hickey is a little ahead of him, despite only being a junior. Both players would be tremendous assets to any team in the state.
kywldcat01,

I feel one of your main goals on this site this season is to try and help RICO JOHNSON win some Mr. Basketball votes. You feel ELISHA JUSTICE is a big threat to beat him out. You always talk on here about how so and so is better than EJ, he is not D1, etc. Why don't you ever try to compare RICO to someone. RICO is not putting up Mr. Basketball numbers and they are squeking by opponents they should be blowing out. Can I get a second on my motion?

A true SV fan, I've seen Justice play since his grade school yrs. and he is by far the best in he mts. but no way his he better than Hickey, watch him last night against PCC and watch alot of the games at LEX. Cath. tourn. and he is one of the best already in the state with a yr. left.:argue:
JIMLEE58 Wrote:The bottom line to this game was that CC hit their shots(and lots of them) and SV did not.Neither press had a lot of affect on the other team and Valley got humbled.You could tell that Ashley was struggling, as he had no elevation on his jumpshots and even had trouble at the foul line. Hated to see them lose at home,but they should have learned alot from this game. No one play made the difference in this game, especially a missed free throw. We have rode Elisha's back to many victories over the years and he certainly has nothing to be ashamed of in this game.Congrats to Christian Co. and good job Valley. We (the faithful) are still right behind you.

I don't know if anyone has said before I pulled this quote, that the reason Ashley had no elevation was at the Pikeville game, Ashley hit the court hard with his back. He didn't move for a couple of minutes. So no, he didn't and there was a reason for it.
HollaBack Wrote:kywldcat01,

I feel one of your main goals on this site this season is to try and help RICO JOHNSON win some Mr. Basketball votes. You feel ELISHA JUSTICE is a big threat to beat him out. You always talk on here about how so and so is better than EJ, he is not D1, etc. Why don't you ever try to compare RICO to someone. RICO is not putting up Mr. Basketball numbers and they are squeking by opponents they should be blowing out. Can I get a second on my motion?

Please. We're talking about high school kids here. And how the **** am I going to help Rico receive votes for Mr. Basketball when it's COACHES who vote on the award. A lack of knowledge on your part there. And honestly, Josh Sewell is the best player in the state right now. You should be worried about him since you think EJ is the best player in the state...not Rico. His success speaks for itself though. That's why I don't need to compare him to others.

And it's not all about stats....want proof? Elijah Pittman had more points and rebounds in the state tournament last year and Ricardo only had 6 points and 7 rebounds in the state championship but still got State tourney MVP. You also failed to mention that Holmes has two other all state players on their team in Elijah Pittman and Jeremiah Johnson, so obviously nobody is going to average more than 15 ppg. It's called having balance and not being a one man show. Let's not try to take away from a great game from both teams because of your unhappiness that someone might be better than Justice and people say so.

Just because I say someone is better than Justice doesn't mean I'm being negative. It's just an opinion and if you read through my post you'll see that I also give Elisha a lot of credit. It's not like I'm the only one who said Hickey was better...see the post below. That comes from a Valley fan.

foreverUK Wrote:A true SV fan, I've seen Justice play since his grade school yrs. and he is by far the best in he mts. but no way his he better than Hickey, watch him last night against PCC and watch alot of the games at LEX. Cath. tourn. and he is one of the best already in the state with a yr. left.:argue:
kywldcat01 Wrote:I've seen Justice several times but I've seeen Hickey several times as well and I wouldn't say Justice is a better leaper. Hickey is just as explosive, if not more explosive. In the games against Holmes and Bowlign Green he was grabbing rebounds over players like Chane Behanan, Elijah Pittman, Jeremiah Johnson, and Ricardo Johnson.

Hickey is a legit top 10 player in the state right now as a junior...IMO of course. It's tough to argue him not being somewhere in the conversation considering the performances he's had throughout the season while also leading his team to a 17-3 record thus far.

Again, I don't see why some of you keep saying Justice is a better leaper and ball handler. Hickey is very smooth with the ball and his quickness makes him just as tough to defend as Justice. Hickey also has a quicker first step off the dribble and is explosive going to the rim. He can rise up and throw one down on you if you don't respect his leaping ability. I'd also say they're even defensively. Hickey is a hound on defense and is in your face the entire game.

I also don't agree with your assessment that Hickey doesn't mean as much to his team as Justice. That's letting your bias get in the way. All I've read in both these threads is how Hickey took over at this time or that time and helped set up Lewis to have a big game. Hickey is too unselfish at times and that's why he doesn't average over 20 a game. IMO Hickey is more of a team player than Justice. Not saying Justice isn't a team player, but Hickey passes up shots a lot more than Justice in order to get his teammates involved.

Did you ever think that Hickey didn't draw as much attention as Justice becaue Hickey simply has a better supporting cast than Justice? Lewis lit SV up because Hickey was able to drive and find him wide open in the corners for 3's.

Also, if SV supposedly didn't have Hickey as their main priority defensively then that's very bad coaching by Booher and he didn't prepare his team for this game. Hickey is CC's leading scorer at around 18 ppg.

Both are very good players but the only edge I'd give to Justice is experience and that's only because Hickey is a junior. Hickey has also proved himself against better competition this year. Now with that said, Justice is still a very good player regardless of competition.

And before I get people saying I'm bashing Elisha, realize I've said how good he is several times in these posts. I just think Hickey is a little ahead of him, despite only being a junior. Both players would be tremendous assets to any team in the state.

A lot of what you said made sense until you got to the bolded part. You would be hard pressed to find another player who is more of a team player than Elisha.
Everyone says Valley played bad, maybe Valley played the best they could against a decent team. IMO Valley's talent has never really been tested this year except in Florida and we seen what happen (1-2). The 15th region is weak and Valley's schedule really hasn't been tough. But I do wish them the best of luck! Besides how old can you be to play ball at SV?? LOL!!! j/k don't get tore up Valley fans!!! Smile
DortonWildcat5 Wrote:A lot of what you said made sense until you got to the bolded part. You would be hard pressed to find another player who is more of a team player than Elisha.

I'm starting to think kywildcat01 just goes with what his buddies tell him to, because he's on here an awful lot, I doubt he gets to see many games. Heck, he's made more posts in this thread than any other person and he didn't even go to the game.
Aslan Wrote:The streak is over.

i called it...congrats to both teams
kywldcat01 Wrote:Please. We're talking about high school kids here. And how the **** am I going to help Rico receive votes for Mr. Basketball when it's COACHES who vote on the award. A lack of knowledge on your part there. And honestly, Josh Sewell is the best player in the state right now. You should be worried about him since you think EJ is the best player in the state...not Rico. His success speaks for itself though. That's why I don't need to compare him to others.

And it's not all about stats....want proof? Elijah Pittman had more points and rebounds in the state tournament last year and Ricardo only had 6 points and 7 rebounds in the state championship but still got State tourney MVP. You also failed to mention that Holmes has two other all state players on their team in Elijah Pittman and Jeremiah Johnson, so obviously nobody is going to average more than 15 ppg. It's called having balance and not being a one man show. Let's not try to take away from a great game from both teams because of your unhappiness that someone might be better than Justice and people say so.

Just because I say someone is better than Justice doesn't mean I'm being negative. It's just an opinion and if you read through my post you'll see that I also give Elisha a lot of credit. It's not like I'm the only one who said Hickey was better...see the post below. That comes from a Valley fan.

Before this season, no player in this state compared to any Holmes player. I'm guessing you saying "right now" is your way of saying some player from Holmes will overtake him before the season is over.
Kywildcat01, have you watched Shelby Valley play this year? Just curious as to whether you are making your analagies on fact or opinion? I watched your precious Holmes team last year in the state tournament and complimented them on what they accomplished, I have not once said anything negative about them this year, nor have I tried to compare them to teams that I have watched this year. Just because you can "throw one down" doesn't make you a better ball player. If you have not watched someone play how can you possible assess what they mean to their team.
[quote=kywldcat01]I've seen Justice several times but I've seeen Hickey several times as well and I wouldn't say Justice is a better leaper. Hickey is just as explosive, if not more explosive. In the games against Holmes and Bowlign Green he was grabbing rebounds over players like Chane Behanan, Elijah Pittman, Jeremiah Johnson, and Ricardo Johnson.

If Hickey was grabbing rebounds over these players, then I don't see any of them as legit candidates for Mr. Basketball then, do you???
PC_You_Know Wrote:I'm starting to think kywildcat01 just goes with what his buddies tell him to, because he's on here an awful lot, I doubt he gets to see many games. Heck, he's made more posts in this thread than any other person and he didn't even go to the game.
No he hasn't, Candyman. I quit counting at 3 with more posts than he in this thread. I think that's sufficient enough to show you are wrong once again.
Maybe you are the reason we need the mute button you called for earlier in the thread. :yawn:
Ring'Em Up Wrote:No he hasn't, Candyman. I quit counting at 3 with more posts than he in this thread. I think that's sufficient enough to show you are wrong once again.
Maybe you are the reason we need the mute button you called for earlier in the thread. :yawn:

He may not have posted more than some, but to be the one who didn't want to stir the pot, he sure brought the spoon.
Ring'Em Up Wrote:No he hasn't, Candyman. I quit counting at 3 with more posts than he in this thread. I think that's sufficient enough to show you are wrong once again.

Nice seeing you poke your unwanted self in a thread to take a jab at someone.

And he doesn't have to post a lot, he just quotes like 5 people at once, so his posts take up the regular size of 4 posts. In this thread he posted 5 times and quoted 11 posts. I would consider that posting more than anyone else in this thread.
trufan Wrote:He may not have posted more than some, but to be the one who didn't want to stir the pot, he sure brought the spoon.

You couldnt' be more right. You have some of the best lines to describe things on here.
trufan Wrote:He may not have posted more than some, but to be the one who didn't want to stir the pot, he sure brought the spoon.

I dont think he's trying to stir the pot, he makes a lot of good points.
Hold your heads up wildcats, you all have made the Shelby Valley Community proud.
Well, I was at the game too, and it was an amazing game. Here are my belated observations:

First off, these sure seemed like two evenly-matched teams, who I believe would play a close game no matter where it was played at. SV actually outplayed CC in the first half, and should have had more than a 1 point lead at the break, were it not for about 4-5 missed layups. But in my opinion, the game was lost for the Wildcats in the third quarter.

First off, the SV coaching staff made the curious decision to play zone most of the game, although they didn't get burned much in the first half. However, Valley's defensive rotation in the third quarter was atrocious, leaving Christian County shooters with several wide-open three-point opportunities. To their credit, CC did what a good team should do and knocked down these open looks.

However, SV had fought and kept the game close, and should have only been facing a 3-point deficit at worst going into the fourth quarter. Valley was inbounding the ball underneath the basket with about 7-8 seconds left, and would've had a chance to go the length of the floor to possibly cut the lead to one or even tie it up. But a poor pass ended up in the hands of a CC player who laid the ball in right before the buzzer, and just like that the lead was 5. That had to be demoralizing going into the huddle after the quarter ended like that.

Still, the game stayed close. SV managed to tie the game back up again, then Christian pulled back ahead by 6 in the closing minutes. Then, after a made bucket with around 2 minutes to go, SV made another curious coaching decision to not foul and send CC to the line. Instead, about 45 seconds ran off the clock before a foul was finally made, and in the end, SV just ran out of time. Although a couple questionable traveling calls gave SV a chance at the end, in my opinion they would've been better off fouling a lot earlier than they did.

Someone mentioned earlier that Hickey was more of a team player than Elisha. Nothing could be further from the truth. On the other hand, Elisha is the consummate team player, always looking to get his teammates involved. In my opinion, he was unselfish to a fault in the first half, as he repeated beat his man off the dribble, but passed up the open shot in order to feed a teammate down low. In the second half, though, he began to take these open shots when they presented themselves, which helped keep SV in it when CC was nailing three after three.

Anyway, despite the loss this was a good game for SV. Regardless of what many on here want to believe, this was not a wake-up call for the SV players or even their fans. Yes, everyone had been excited about this game for a while, because we all knew how good CC was and how they could potentially end the streak. No one thought Shelby Valley was unbeatable or any of the other nonsense you read on here. But the SV fans were certainly hoping for a win, and are still proud of them for going toe-to-toe with a top team like Christian County.

Good luck to SV this week in the All-A, and good luck to Christian County the rest of the season. Would love to see a rematch in a couple months in Rupp.
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
More Cowbell Wrote:Regardless of what many on here want to believe, this was not a wake-up call for the SV players or even their fans. Yes, everyone had been excited about this game for a while, because we all knew how good CC was and how they could potentially end the streak. No one thought Shelby Valley was unbeatable or any of the other nonsense you read on here. But the SV fans were certainly hoping for a win, and are still proud of them for going toe-to-toe with a top team like Christian County.

Very well put. I don't think most non-SV posters realize how many of us see things this way...