Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chris Mullins OUT at Dunbar
GoHerd_22 Wrote:Mullins won 13 lost 40 in 6 seasons at greenup. You are right greenup is where they are today because of Mullins which is a long way from beating good teams. Grizzle doing a great job but he's fighting through the mess Mullins left him and has won 13 in first 2 years.
Believe me, Greenup will only flourish with Grizzle. He’s so involved in the off season in the weight room and beyond. Grizzle doesn’t disappear after the last game and show up Aug. 1st which was a big complaint with the boys and parents when Mullins was there. Chris is a good guy and was good with the boys when he was there. All I was saying is that he left the GC program in much better shape than when he took it over. I’m thrilled with Greenup’s success under Grizzle and hope to see him stay for many years. It’s one of the best football hires Greenup has made and I think they are better coached with Grizzle than with Mullins.
Dunbar was looking for instant results, good luck to their next coach, sure hope he gets them into the state championship his first year.
Any word about whose applied? When are interviews?
I've heard someone from Estill Co applied, an assistant at Lexington Catholic, and a head coach at a nearby school who used to coach in the city. I'm not sure if they have conducted any interviews yet.
The head coach who coaches nearby and used to coach in the city will most likely get it. I think his wife works there. I would understand why they would hire him, but leaving where he is would be a tough thing. Completly opposite culture.
Texas2step Wrote:The head coach who coaches nearby and used to coach in the city will most likely get it. I think his wife works there. I would understand why they would hire him, but leaving where he is would be a tough thing. Completly opposite culture.

Sounds like you're talking about the coach from LCA. I think his wife works at Dunbar. I'm actually talking about a nearby coach who used to be a head coach in the city.
I was. If LCA's coach has really applied I'd say it's his if he wants it. A couple of successful years at LCA and having ties to the school...He'd have to royally screw it up not to get it. There have been two other former head coaches apply and one of those I know was an assistant at two schools in the city at different times.
First off I really don't think you understand the situation Mullins took over after Mike Copley left. Starting day 1 Mullins gained a booster club that was 30,000 in whole because of Copley. Spring practice Mullins only had 8 varsity players turn out after Copley"s final season at Greenup. To say that Grizzle is fighting through the mess that Mullins created is a ignorant statement. Mullins left Grizzle with a team that could have easily went 8-2 last year. But being a new coach and putting in a system they lost some games they probably shouldn't have lost due to change of head coach, but that is to be expected when replacing a head coach. The first season Mullins took over started with 15 Varsity players and by the end of the 6th season he had almost 50 players. That is a huge roster for Greenup County football. Someone stated earlier on here that greenup had 70 kids on the roster now. That is a lie..... They are about 20 players short of that. Grizzle is doing a great job at Greenup and I believe he will continue building the program Mullins created. Mullins regrets leaving Greenup but he left for more reasons then just coaching at a higher level.
bama-cat Wrote:first off i really don't think you understand the situation mullins took over after mike copley left. Starting day 1 mullins gained a booster club that was 30,000 in whole because of copley. Spring practice mullins only had 8 varsity players turn out after copley"s final season at greenup. To say that grizzle is fighting through the mess that mullins created is a ignorant statement. Mullins left grizzle with a team that could have easily went 8-2 last year. But being a new coach and putting in a system they lost some games they probably shouldn't have lost due to change of head coach, but that is to be expected when replacing a head coach. The first season mullins took over started with 15 varsity players and by the end of the 6th season he had almost 50 players. That is a huge roster for greenup county football. Someone stated earlier on here that greenup had 70 kids on the roster now. That is a lie..... They are about 20 players short of that. Grizzle is doing a great job at greenup and i believe he will continue building the program mullins created. Mullins regrets leaving greenup but he left for more reasons then just coaching at a higher level.
bingo!
Bama-Cat Wrote:First off I really don't think you understand the situation Mullins took over after Mike Copley left. Starting day 1 Mullins gained a booster club that was 30,000 in whole because of Copley. Spring practice Mullins only had 8 varsity players turn out after Copley"s final season at Greenup. To say that Grizzle is fighting through the mess that Mullins created is a ignorant statement. Mullins left Grizzle with a team that could have easily went 8-2 last year. But being a new coach and putting in a system they lost some games they probably shouldn't have lost due to change of head coach, but that is to be expected when replacing a head coach. The first season Mullins took over started with 15 Varsity players and by the end of the 6th season he had almost 50 players. That is a huge roster for Greenup County football. Someone stated earlier on here that greenup had 70 kids on the roster now. That is a lie..... They are about 20 players short of that. Grizzle is doing a great job at Greenup and I believe he will continue building the program Mullins created. Mullins regrets leaving Greenup but he left for more reasons then just coaching at a higher level.

There are more than 50 on the GC roster. I was making the same point as you are regarding Mullins and building Greenup’s program. No reason for you to make a statement like that (that’s a lie). Geez, buddy.
While all the Dunbar people on here were throwing Mullins to the wolves, I was trying to shed light on his success at Greenup, same as you are doing now. So if you want to get technical, Mullins had more than 15 kids on his roster the first year as HC at Greenup. But hey who’s counting.
Mullins had 15 varsity players. Not counting upcoming Freshman. He had roughly about 35 to start the season his first year as the head coach. Greenup currently has 55 on roster this past season so I guess I was wrong about 50..Sorry... But who is counting lol
Bama-Cat Wrote:First off I really don't think you understand the situation Mullins took over after Mike Copley left. Starting day 1 Mullins gained a booster club that was 30,000 in whole because of Copley. Spring practice Mullins only had 8 varsity players turn out after Copley"s final season at Greenup. To say that Grizzle is fighting through the mess that Mullins created is a ignorant statement. Mullins left Grizzle with a team that could have easily went 8-2 last year. But being a new coach and putting in a system they lost some games they probably shouldn't have lost due to change of head coach, but that is to be expected when replacing a head coach. The first season Mullins took over started with 15 Varsity players and by the end of the 6th season he had almost 50 players. That is a huge roster for Greenup County football. Someone stated earlier on here that greenup had 70 kids on the roster now. That is a lie..... They are about 20 players short of that. Grizzle is doing a great job at Greenup and I believe he will continue building the program Mullins created. Mullins regrets leaving Greenup but he left for more reasons then just coaching at a higher level.

I still can't figure out what he did that was amazing? According to many on here he is a hot commodity, I'm sure phones are burning up
How in the world did Copley leave them $30k in the hole? I mean not that I’m shocked knowing Copley, but that’s a large number.
Greenup's booster club wasn't keeping a close eye on what Copley was purchasing. They gave him a credit card and Copley was like a kid in a candy shop with it. It's crazy but true.
Bama-Cat Wrote:Greenup's booster club wasn't keeping a close eye on what Copley was purchasing. They gave him a credit card and Copley was like a kid in a candy shop with it. It's crazy but true.

Did he rebuild the booster club and coach, or did someone else fix that?
Yeah he really busted butt on fundraising with players and worked closely with new booster members to overcome that debt while coaching. It took a few season to become debt free I'm sure. That would be a lot stress for any coach to worry about.
Any word on the new coach at Dunbar?
I hear you’ve applied for the job. Thought maybe you might have some insight on applicants.
I must have made you upset haha... I'm still trying to come up with 70 kids or more in greenup's football program that you claim they have lol..
Bama-Cat Wrote:I must have made you upset haha... I'm still trying to come up with 70 kids or more in greenup's football program that you claim they have lol..

No, not upset at all. I think I hit a nerve with you. You all didn’t think Greenup would continue to flourish without you all at the helms and I just assumed you had insight on Dunbar’s short list of prospects. Like I said, heard you applied.
I'm a huge supporter of Greenup's football program being a Greenup Alumni and former player and currently a school employee. I work with the program on and off as much as I can. I am a believer in Grizzle and things he is doing with the program and I have been since day one. I just have been setting the facts strait on here with garbage being spread about Mullins and his contribution to Greenup's program. Not a fan of Dunbar nor am I looking to be a coach at Dunbar. Although you might have a better chance of seeing 70 kids on a roster at Dunbar Wink lol
Bama-Cat Wrote:I'm a huge supporter of Greenup's football program being a Greenup Alumni and former player and currently a school employee. I work with the program on and off as much as I can. I am a believer in Grizzle and things he is doing with the program and I have been since day one. I just have been setting the facts strait on here with garbage being spread about Mullins and his contribution to Greenup's program. Not a fan of Dunbar nor am I looking to be a coach at Dunbar. Although you might have a better chance of seeing 70 kids on a roster at Dunbar Wink lol
Pretty much my intent with my post. Not really sure why you have become so fixated on the one comment about 70 on GC roster. Which by the way, would only solidify my argument that Mullins really turned the program around. I don’t care if they have 22, 70, or 122 on the roster as long as they continue to head in the right direction and become a contender in their district. I’m sure the Dunbar fans feel the same way. They just want someone dedicated enough to turn their program around. I hate that it didn’t work out for Mullins at Dunbar. I wish him good luck on his future endeavors. Good luck to Dunbar on their search.
I was just setting the record strait on the turn around of the program in the number of players. Grizzle is doing a great job. But there hasn't been much of increase in number of players since he had taken over if there is a increase at all. I would love to see what you claim there is 70 or more players on roster. It's just not likely to ever happen at Greenup.
Dunbar announcing January 3. Who will it be?
Heard at work this week that Wes Johnson is the new coach. Former coach at West Jessamine. Said he was an assistant at Dunbar about 10 years ago but hasn't coached since then. Doesn't look like there was much interest in the job with this choice.
If he is indeed the choice it's a good hire. Coach Johnson made West Football relevant in the state. Had great wins and ran a great program. He worked tirelessly to keep the program on the rise. I lived in Nicholasville during that time and followed the team. When he resigned because of a job change, we were heartbroken to see him go. Our program went down the tube and really hasn't been back to the level we were playing since he left. He's been an assistant for a few programs I think since then. Given a chance, this time next year anyone associated with Dunbar Football will agree with me on this one. He is not a household name right now, so to speak, but Dunbar is in good hands.

I'm not saying the coaching pool was deep on this one, so don't get me wrong, but it's a good hire.
Texas2step Wrote:If he is indeed the choice it's a good hire. Coach Johnson made West Football relevant in the state. Had great wins and ran a great program. He worked tirelessly to keep the program on the rise. I lived in Nicholasville during that time and followed the team. When he resigned because of a job change, we were heartbroken to see him go. Our program went down the tube and really hasn't been back to the level we were playing since he left. He's been an assistant for a few programs I think since then. Given a chance, this time next year anyone associated with Dunbar Football will agree with me on this one. He is not a household name right now, so to speak, but Dunbar is in good hands.

I'm not saying the coaching pool was deep on this one, so don't get me wrong, but it's a good hire.

I hope he works out for them. Any idea on the staff he may bring with him?
I would have no idea on that one. He had a great staff at West. 3 coaches on his staff became head coaches. His best was Randy Wood. He did a great job at Morgan County and then even came back to West sometime later and had great success. I don't know where he's at these days though.
Texas2step Wrote:If he is indeed the choice it's a good hire. Coach Johnson made West Football relevant in the state. Had great wins and ran a great program. He worked tirelessly to keep the program on the rise. I lived in Nicholasville during that time and followed the team. When he resigned because of a job change, we were heartbroken to see him go. Our program went down the tube and really hasn't been back to the level we were playing since he left. He's been an assistant for a few programs I think since then. Given a chance, this time next year anyone associated with Dunbar Football will agree with me on this one. He is not a household name right now, so to speak, but Dunbar is in good hands.

:please::biglmao:
Don Draper Wrote:I hope he works out for them. Any idea on the staff he may bring with him?

Yeah Alex Montgomery flag football coach and former uk player with 19 career total catches :biggrin: that’s some big time star power right there kids will come out in droves now :Thumbs: