Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who will be the new coach at UK?
Grassy Knoll Sniper Wrote:[Image: http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y46/Cro...onship.jpg]

HaHa, I like that. Did you make it
NYY10 Wrote:HaHa, I like that. Did you make it

Part of it....the wording.
blackcat_student Wrote:Mark Few couldn't handle Kentucky. I'd like to see Rick Barnes (Texas coach) or Billy Donovan (Florida coach). If these two guys can recruit five star players at "Football Schools," than I'm sure he can recruit them at Kentucky. They both can coach the half-court game and the fast pace game, thats why I like both of them.
I have to diagree, Few transformed Gonzaga into an unknown mid major to a national power in the state of Washington which is far from a basketball state. He also had to recruit in the shadows of Washington, Washington St., Oregon, UCLA, etc. At UK, Few would be able to recruit. Look at how much players have developed under his guidence. You have Morrison,Stepp,Ravio,Batista,The center for the Lakers(name slips my mind right now), and the list goes on and on. Nobody wanted those guys and look what they did. Thats an example of a good coach. Imagine what he could do with high caliber players. I think Few is the best man for the Job, weather or not he would leave Gonzaga I don't know but the pay would have to be better at UK.....JMO, But I'd love tosee it personally.
Anyone heard Bruce Peral's name come up?? A friend told me he heard his name thrown into the conversation.
I don't think Donovan is a long shot for the coaching position. The thing is, UK would have to wait 'til early April to even talk to him (unless Florida is upset in the tournament, which is unlikely in my mind), which could ultimately hurt recruiting. There is something is Donovan's contract that prevents him from talking to any school in the Southeastern Conference except 1...KENTUCKY. He denied multiple attempts by the university for a contract extension, and his wife is from the Lexington area. To me, it seems all of the pieces are there for him to be the next coach at the University of Kentucky. This is a really good article I read from ESPN.com. I got most of this information from the article, and it goes into some more detail about the situation.
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/s...ortCat=ncb

I'm thinking Donovan, especially if his coveted Junior class leaves. I'm not counting him out just yet.
Travis Ford took EKU to the NCAA tournament....big deal. Now he's coaching at UMass. Mmkay, good for him. He is still in no way the level coach UK should have.

IMO, Billy Donovan is the only one that can save UK from disaster next season. We are going to lose our decent recruits now that Tubby is leaving, but Donovan might be high-profile enough to bring some of his own or whatever. Problem with that is, we're going to have to wait until Florida gets out of the tournament which might be too late for recruiting. On top of that, we're going to have to pay him something around $3 million a year to entice him to come.
Bob Knight!
**Send me a pm if you have any questions or comments**

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
15thRegionCrazy Wrote:Bob Knight!

You either have to be joking or on some extremely strong medication..Big Grin
StrikeoutKing Wrote:I don't think Donovan is a long shot for the coaching position. The thing is, UK would have to wait 'til early April to even talk to him (unless Florida is upset in the tournament, which is unlikely in my mind), which could ultimately hurt recruiting. There is something is Donovan's contract that prevents him from talking to any school in the Southeastern Conference except 1...KENTUCKY. He denied multiple attempts by the university for a contract extension, and his wife is from the Lexington area. To me, it seems all of the pieces are there for him to be the next coach at the University of Kentucky. This is a really good article I read from ESPN.com. I got most of this information from the article, and it goes into some more detail about the situation.
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/s...ortCat=ncb

I'm thinking Donovan, especially if his coveted Junior class leaves. I'm not counting him out just yet.
I agree dont count Billy D or Pitino out....only time will tell.
Moe Wrote:I have to diagree, Few transformed Gonzaga into an unknown mid major to a national power in the state of Washington which is far from a basketball state. He also had to recruit in the shadows of Washington, Washington St., Oregon, UCLA, etc. At UK, Few would be able to recruit. Look at how much players have developed under his guidence. You have Morrison,Stepp,Ravio,Batista,The center for the Lakers(name slips my mind right now), and the list goes on and on. Nobody wanted those guys and look what they did. Thats an example of a good coach. Imagine what he could do with high caliber players. I think Few is the best man for the Job, weather or not he would leave Gonzaga I don't know but the pay would have to be better at UK.....JMO, But I'd love tosee it personally.
Actually Monson built the program at Gonzaga and Few took over after he left for Minnesota. How Ironic would it be if Few came to Kentucky and hired Monson as an assistant after he had been fired by the Gophers and replaced by none other than Tubby Smith.
FBALL Wrote:Actually Monson built the program at Gonzaga and Few took over after he left for Minnesota. How Ironic would it be if Few came to Kentucky and hired Monson as an assistant after he had been fired by the Gophers and replaced by none other than Tubby Smith.
True it would be Ironic, but it would be great. Hard to beat that Scenario(sp?..lol)IMO.
my pick is donovan...guys good at coaching and recruiting...just what uk needs at this point with morris leaving also......and if pitino had the chance to coach the uk blue again no way will he turn it down...no way
the only thing i have heard is that Donovan's partent bought property and are building a house around Lexington. not making this up.
He should buy Tubby's house. 1600 Harmony Hall Lane will be for sell. Nice place too.
Here's the latest KSR blog. It mentions coaching speculation, the Donovan comments in tonight's postgame presser, Morris leaving for the Knicks, & recruiting tidbits.
http://blog.kentuckysportsradio.com/?p=1961
I heard that Billy Donovan purchased a "Summer House" in Lexington two months ago. Does anyone know anything aboutthis?
jammin' jamey Wrote:Billy Donovan is not the highest paid coach at Florida anymore, Urban Meyer is. Will that play into anything?

I have mixed feelings about this because as QQ says, we are guaranteed to lose Patterson and Lucas now and Morris will leave, so where does this leave us?
I would love to see Pitino come and coach the cats agian.
CoachB Wrote:I heard that Billy Donovan purchased a "Summer House" in Lexington two months ago. Does anyone know anything aboutthis?

Who did you hear that from? The Easter Bunny? Santa Claus?
IMO and an inside source says Billy Donavan has already been offered the position. Makes good sense. He already won a national title at Florida, he will always be second behind the football program at Florida. Florida basketball vs. Kentucky basketball. Come on, no comparison. He has gotten real lucky with his recruits at Florida, they all have played way above their expectations and potential. He knows this. Florida is lucky to have 400-500 fans at the tournament games, we have that many show up to watch practice.
Watch for an announcement right after Florida either wins the tourny or gets beat. Watch and
see...
Both, along with a real estate agent in Lexington.
ComfortEagle Wrote:Who did you hear that from? The Easter Bunny? Santa Claus?
LoneStar Wrote:Watch for an announcement right after Florida either wins the tourny or gets beat. Watch and
see...

Thats when the decision will come. MB is waiting to get a response to his top canidate Billy D. If Billy D says no then the next in order will be announced.. I agree with you things will move quick once Florida is either beat or wins the tournament.
CoachB Wrote:Both, along with a real estate agent in Lexington.

Right, you along with every other "rumorist" here.

Have you heard the one yet about the guy, whose friend works at a bank and (this is a secret) but he helped wire a ton of money to Donovan the other day from UK boosters???

Oooh, or maybe this one. "Billy Donovan's agent was seen at TGI Friday's eating shrimp poppers and extreme fajitas with Barnhart."

Oh, and I'll believe the "donovan bought a house" thing when you can show me some proof. Until then, this is just as negligible as any other crock rumor going around.
ComfortEagle Wrote:Right, you along with every other "rumorist" here.

Have you heard the one yet about the guy, whose friend works at a bank and (this is a secret) but he helped wire a ton of money to Donovan the other day from UK boosters???

Oooh, or maybe this one. "Billy Donovan's agent was seen at TGI Friday's eating shrimp poppers and extreme fajitas with Barnhart."

Oh, and I'll believe the "donovan bought a house" thing when you can show me some proof. Until then, this is just as negligible as any other crock rumor going around.
Exactly CE. Everyone knows that BD is UK's #1 choice but nothing will be known until the tourney is over. Just another week guys. Keep Calm.
I agree TOTALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!
calQlate Wrote:me either.. I would love to see ole Rick back.

Going to be interesting waiting for the news of who will be the new coach. Rick or Billy D would be my top picks. If we couldnt get them then go after Calipari.
Just wait and see, then you can apologize. Chill out dude.
ComfortEagle Wrote:Right, you along with every other "rumorist" here.

For those interested. Pitino said he had zero interest in the job...

>>Pitino not interested<<
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
NOBODY has mentioned this guy yet that I know of, but what about SAUL SMITHSmile . Could Saul come in and try to save Kentucky from Disaster next season, following in his Father's footsteps. Try to do what his daddy couldn't!!!!!!!!!!Smile :thatsfunn That's funny right there. I don't care who you are:thatsfunn
OnCeABobcat Wrote:NOBODY has mentioned this guy yet that I know of, but what about SAUL SMITHSmile . Could Saul come in and try to save Kentucky from Disaster next season, following in his Father's footsteps. Try to do what his daddy couldn't!!!!!!!!!!Smile That's funny right there. I don't care who you are:thatsfunn

I didn't think it was funny. :eek:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pitino says no.
Calipari says no. (Agreed to extension today through 2012)
Gillispie may go to Arkansas.
Matta said he wouldn't even talk to UK.

The coaches are starting to fall of the list one by one. Mitch better know what he is doing.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]