•  Previous
  • 5(current)
  • Next 
  Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Dan Howard Resigns At Hazard
Has Shorty applied?
(12-07-2023, 05:12 PM)RAMDAD50 Wrote: It will be someone on staff. Not many people wanna move to the mountains nowadays. Most are trying their best to leave.
I was thinking the same thing.  Outside of football tradition what would be the draw for an established coach with a track record of success to relocate his family to Hazard?  No disrespect intended but I think a small school in rural Eastern Kentucky is a tough sell for  an experienced coach outside of the area.

I’ve always thought that Class A coaches fall into 1 of 2 categories.  The first is an alumni who is heavily entrenched in the community and will live there until they retire.  The second is a young up and coming coach wanting to build experience for a bigger job and will stay for a decade at the most.  

For those reasons programs are difficult to build in Class A especially in small rural communities.  In the case of Hazard I think the question is do they want to find someone in the old guard to revive the “glory days” or take a risk with a younger guy and let him build the program his way?
I am surprised they haven't already hired someone.
None of them BIG NAMES interested? Should hire big Cory Martin.
(12-20-2023, 11:29 PM)DukeBoy Wrote: None of them BIG NAMES interested?  Should hire big Cory Martin.
I see you got jokes this morning.
So you saying Cory is a Joke? Played college football and was a very good high school player. May know a little bit about the game. Some of you make it a whole lot more complicated than it really is.
(12-21-2023, 06:17 PM)DukeBoy Wrote: So you saying Cory is a Joke?  Played college football and was a very good high school player.  May know a little bit about the game.  Some of you make it a whole lot more complicated than it really is.
That whole coaching staff is a disaster. Yeah that’s exactly what I’m saying.
This is an important hire for the Hazard football program and I am sure they want to get it right but when are they going to make a hire? Are they having issues finding someone? When does one start to worry about losing players due to not hiring someone yet? Of course whoever takes over has a tough hill to climb. Even with the young talent coming up, unless they bring in some players along with the new coach, it will take a couple years. Football is a little tougher to ride on the shoulders of underclassmen and that is literally what Hazard is made up of.
(12-28-2023, 09:00 PM)Bluecat Wrote: This is an important hire for the Hazard football program and I am sure they want to get it right but when are they going to make a hire? Are they having issues finding someone? When does one start to worry about losing players due to not hiring someone yet? Of course whoever takes over has a tough hill to climb. Even with the young talent coming up, unless they bring in some players along with the new coach, it will take a couple years. Football is a little tougher to ride on the shoulders of underclassmen and that is literally what Hazard is made up of.
They’re making sure they make the right hire so they don’t get “grizzled” again. They’ve interviewed a couple solid coaches. I think everyone knows it’s not gonna be an overnight turn around so they’re crossing all their t’s and dotting all their I’s to make sure they make the best hire.
[-] The following 1 user Likes king360's post:
  • Bluecat
Who are the candidates that have been interviewed?
(12-29-2023, 08:47 AM)king360 Wrote:
(12-28-2023, 09:00 PM)Bluecat Wrote: This is an important hire for the Hazard football program and I am sure they want to get it right but when are they going to make a hire? Are they having issues finding someone? When does one start to worry about losing players due to not hiring someone yet? Of course whoever takes over has a tough hill to climb. Even with the young talent coming up, unless they bring in some players along with the new coach, it will take a couple years. Football is a little tougher to ride on the shoulders of underclassmen and that is literally what Hazard is made up of.
They’re making sure they make the right hire so they don’t get “grizzled” again. They’ve interviewed a couple solid coaches. I think everyone knows it’s not gonna be an overnight turn around so they’re crossing all their t’s and dotting all their I’s to make sure they make the best hire.

This makes sense. I think a lot of people forget that Grizzle was the initial hire after Dixon and he backed out late. That is when Howard stepped in. I feel Hazard needs to find someone who will come in and stay. There is no quick fix in this hire as you mentioned. I do feel there is good football at Hazard and the last year was one of those years that nobody wants to experience but it won't be down long. That is what makes this hire important as if they begin playing coaching carousel the next couple seasons it may keep them down much longer than it should be.
Hazard better ask who Gavin Johnson wants to coach him. Kid is a standout and if he leaves the program is set back even further.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Scallywag79's post:
  • Belichick
Is Max Pelfrey headed to PCC next week?
(12-29-2023, 11:17 PM)Diablo Wrote: Is Max Pelfrey headed to PCC next week?
Yes. He enrolled last week.
Updates?
Someone said they had a potential candidate at the basketball game last night. Assistant from Boyle County. Not sure how true that is. Also, was told Pelfrey was not enrolled at Perry and is still at Hazard. Again, I am going on here-say so who really knows lol
Anybody ask Maddox Bryant who he would like to have as a coach?
Are these kids the Lebron James’ of HS football? Who is good enough in this entire state to base hiring a coach solely on what a 17-18 year old kid thinks? WHAT THE HECK
Maddox is the Lebron James of Middle School football. Best prospect to ever come from Bulldog Network I’m told.
Oh- so someone is suggesting to ask a MS kid who to hire? SMH
lol. I’m only joking. I have no clue. Id certainly hope not.
I get it! Kids can go where they want and times are different, but hire a coach who will build a program that they want to play for/at!!

These are strange times! I miss the old days!
[-] The following 1 user Likes ROTC's post:
  • Diablo
I heard that Jake Johnson was the lead candidate for this job.
(12-07-2023, 05:12 PM)RAMDAD50 Wrote: It will be someone on staff. Not many people wanna move to the mountains nowadays. Most are trying their best to leave.

What an ignorant statement. Pikeville thriving more than any town east of Lexington. Hazard and Paintsville growing too.
Hazard hasn’t grown in the past 10 years. Where you been Jet?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Diablo's post:
  • BlackHawk
(01-04-2024, 05:30 AM)jetpilot Wrote:

What an ignorant statement. Pikeville thriving more than any town east of Lexington. Hazard and Paintsville growing too.

Hazard growing?? Where? ARH & school system 2 biggest employers in Perry Co. Coal miners driving to Pike Co. to work. Come on now.

What an ignorant statement to make. The gormans set hazard back 30 years. It’ll never grow. Pikeville has grown thanks to Paul Patton helping get roads and infrastructure through there when he was governor. Hazard is no more than a retirement home and will never be any different.
Who is Jake Johnson?
(01-04-2024, 11:16 AM)Cat Daddy Wrote: Who is Jake Johnson?
 Only Jake Johnson I know is the Ref from Hazard. I’m sure it someone different.  Lol
(01-04-2024, 11:07 AM)SpaceMountain19 Wrote:

What an ignorant statement to make. The gormans set hazard back 30 years. It’ll never grow. Pikeville has grown thanks to Paul Patton helping get roads and infrastructure through there when he was governor. Hazard is no more than a retirement home and will never be any different.
I only go to Hazard once every few years, but official Hazard city twitter account tweeted that Hazard population grew more % wise than Pikeville when the new population #s came out recently. I found that hard to believe but I do see new stuff every time I go there. Anyhow, Ramdad50 is from the sh!thole known as the Ashland/Portsmouth metro area and can't spell mountains much less know how many people want to move here or leave here.
  •  Previous
  • 5(current)
  • Next