•  Previous
  • 5(current)
  • Next 
  Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Paintsville 79 Shelby Valley 70 -- 2 OT
Well I just have to say this about that. First of all...WAY TO GO TIGERS. I never doubted you once. Everyone of those boys make me so very poud!!! Lots of Bad calls but yes they were not one sided. Now keep your heads on straight and lets get to the big city of Lexvegas!!!!!

On another note... I really can't believe the way Central's coaches were cheering for Valley.....OH well let's be honest... I can believe it!!!!

GO BIG BLUE!!!:Wave:
PHS Watergirl Wrote:Well I just have to say this about that. First of all...WAY TO GO TIGERS. I never doubted you once. Everyone of those boys make me so very poud!!! Lots of Bad calls but yes they were not one sided. Now keep your heads on straight and lets get to the big city of Lexvegas!!!!!

On another note... I really can't believe the way Central's coaches were cheering for Valley.....OH well let's be honest... I can believe it!!!!

GO BIG BLUE!!!:Wave:

No wonder they were cheering for Valley, we've beat them three times already, lol. That is pretty pathetic though.
I was at the game, and what actually happened with the SV fans and BMR, is that the fan (which was a old man) was cheering for SV and yelled out to SV players and BMR got mad and told him "TO SHUT THE H**L UP" and it all went hay wire at that. Then BMr tried to get the refs to throw that fan out. Wich they didn't. Yes, the refing was terrible on both sides, but if the refs call everything in a high school game, every player would foul out, and the game would take forever before it ended. In my opinion, Paintsville got more breaks than SV did in the foul situation. If Sv would have made there freethrows the game would've never went to OT. Freethrows is wha killed Sv tonight. Congrats tigers on the win. GREAT SAESON SV!!!!
Where you at DortonWildcats? I know you have some stats.
kysportsguru Wrote:I was at the game, and what actually happened with the SV fans and BMR, is that the fan (which was a old man) was cheering for SV and yelled out to SV players and BMR got mad and told him "TO SHUT THE H**L UP" and it all went hay wire at that. Then BMr tried to get the refs to throw that fan out. Wich they didn't. Yes, the refing was terrible on both sides, but if the refs call everything in a high school game, every player would foul out, and the game would take forever before it ended. In my opinion, Paintsville got more breaks than SV did in the foul situation. If Sv would have made there freethrows the game would've never went to OT. Freethrows is wha killed Sv tonight. Congrats tigers on the win. GREAT SAESON SV!!!!

Okay, you agree about Paintsville gettin breaks, do you also agree Landon gets away with a lot?
kysportsguru Wrote:I was at the game, and what actually happened with the SV fans and BMR, is that the fan (which was a old man) was cheering for SV and yelled out to SV players and BMR got mad and told him "TO SHUT THE H**L UP" and it all went hay wire at that. Then BMr tried to get the refs to throw that fan out. Wich they didn't. Yes, the refing was terrible on both sides, but if the refs call everything in a high school game, every player would foul out, and the game would take forever before it ended. In my opinion, Paintsville got more breaks than SV did in the foul situation. If Sv would have made there freethrows the game would've never went to OT. Freethrows is wha killed Sv tonight. Congrats tigers on the win. GREAT SAESON SV!!!!

I don't think that should even be said unless it is confirmed because BMR has a wonderful reputation and it is hard to believe that he would do something like this with so much on the line. He is way to smart to worry about what some guy behind him is yelling. I personally don't think this should even be out in the open for people to see mainly because it is tarnishing a very good man's reputation. I wish someone could get comfirmation on this before we let it out in the open like that.
I would really like to commend both teams on a great game, almost better than the Lex Cath game in 98'...both teams came out and busted there tails, first quarter Paintsville really showed what kind of team they can be, 2nd quarter Valley showed there colors as well... I was really dissapointed that in the sencond half neither team could play the way they did in the first half... I swear Landon fell on one of Valley's players and it wasn't called but Justin Murray would stand up and he would get called. Officiating was terrible on both ends. I am so excited for the finals, I am so happy that my spring break landed on this week!

Congrats to both Shelby Valley and Paintsville they showed tonight why they were the class of the 15th. Paintsville, it has taken you all six years or so to get the monkey off your back. I am proud to be from this area and cannot wait for the state tournament because I think our teams have more heart than any team in the rest of the state. Again, Congratulations to Bill Mike on a great tenure, and the Paintsville team for a great game. Regardless of what happens in the finals, you will always be my team.

Once a Tiger...Always a Tiger
c/o 2006
Unofficial Team Stats:

Paintsville shot 26-44 (59%) from the field.
They shot 4-10 (40%) from the 3 point line.
They shot 23-30 (76%) from the free throw line.
They had 36 rebounds, 11 assists, 12 steals, and 24 turnovers.

Valley shot 26-54 (48%) from the field.
They shot 3-15 (20%) from the 3 point line.
They shot 15-28 (53%) from the free throw line.
They had 21 rebounds, 13 assists, 18 steals, and 19 turnovers.

I only have individual stats for Valley and Landon Slone.

Jacob Bryant had 17 points, 5 rebounds, 4 steals, and 4 assists.
Elisha Justice had 14 points, 6 assists, and 5 steals.
Logan Bryant had 12 points and 3 steals.
Jonah Justice had 11 points and 6 rebounds.
Curby Tackett had 7 points and 4 rebounds.
Ashley Hatfield had 3 points and 2 rebounds (in very limited playing time due to foul trouble).
Tyler Newsome had 3 points.
Cody Varney had 3 points.

Unofficially I had Landon with 15 points, 13 rebounds (may have missed one or two, but not sure how I missed 5), 3 steals, and 2 blocks. Landon is the type of player who just wins. His game tonight reminded me of Daniel Harmon in the Dorton/Virgie grade school rivalry (when they don't have great games, they find a way to make the big plays to win the game).

I thought Grimm was the difference in the game.

Anyone who watched this game and claims one team is definitely better than the other, and would win virtually everytime, has no clue.

I thought the sportsmanship during and after this game was great! That's as much a part of the game as the game itself is.
mama cat Wrote:You know these boys get on here and read this stuff all the time and Tyler is one of them. Every Valley player made some mistakes tonight so what right have you to just name one and pick out his mistakes? I guess you want to overlook the good things he did???? These boys are already hurt enough and feel like it is their fault!

I agree... Also, Tyler hit a very big 3 pointer late in the game... Free throws, not any one individual, is what lost this game...
THANKS DW5! I knew you would have some stats.
Well here are my thoughts! Tigers came out with more intensity that Valley expected and took a big lead. Valley didn't shoot well early on. The refs started tacking on fouls against JD and some other Tigers which caused Paintsville to have to back off somewhat. Valley dug in and used their D and mounted the comeback. Paintsville without a deep bench had to hold on and Valley used their bench and D to get back into the game and finally take the lead. But then the determination of the Paintsville seniors took over and they came up with the big plays! End of story!

I won't say that Paintsville had the best starting 5 players man for man, but I'd take the Tigers starting 5 over Valleys starting 5 any day and I think that they proved they were better (but hey they are all seniors and older). But the Valley bench was a big plus for Valley tonight.

Refs were very INCONSISTENT which made it frustrating for the players on both teams. I sure didn't see anyone get any favors from them on either team.

I'd like to congratulate SV on a very good game. The players gave it all against the Tigers and almost pulled it off. The next couple of years should be good for Valley.

A big congrats to Landon for taking the match-ups dealt him and making the best of them! Awesome game. And even though he didn't get his 25 points, he made a huge difference in the outcome!! Also a big congrats to Grimm who made it all possible with a blowout scoring night!! Great job Grimm!! Good job Blake on some nice assists and defense. Hats off to JD on good post play and a few nice 3's. Great defense Murray while you got to play. And Pack done a good job coming off the bench. It wasn't the prettiest game, but it all added up to enough to win the game!

Good luck tomorrow night against JC! Don't overlook them just because you beat them 3 times this season.

And finally, whether it would have made a difference or not, I too believe Booher played into the Tigers hand by holding the ball in both OT's!

Great effort by both teams!!
OffTheHook Wrote:THANKS DW5! I knew you would have some stats.

Funny thing is that I was wondering where you were at on here and while I was posting the stats you had posted asking for stats.

Great game to watch!
LoneStar Wrote:SV was out coached. You have to put the blame on SV coach, he made the SV boys hold the ball for over 5 minutes of the two OT, when you had 4 Tigers with 4 fouls ready to foul out of the game. Every time SV tried to kill the clock they didn't even have a lead. Just dumb coaching, let the boys play and they win.

Agree 100 %
Booher has made some stupid decisions all his career. This game showed it.

Congrats too BMR btw, not really a Paintsville fan, but have great respect for the man. Good luck tomorrow in the championship.

OMG Wrote:No I think they were still winning with him in the game. You can't say "I won't take that from you" and then say "it's about time you won one" Do you really need us to go down history lane and recap on the past regional champions. We can go back 20 years and see who's on top there if you want. I respect whatever you have to say, but just face the facts that Paintsville is the best team in the region and the beat Valley fair and square tonight. I would tak them over Valley in every matchup. But I will say this. Valley gave one of the guttsiest performances i've ever seen and they should definetly be congratulated for it. They had a great season.

I wouldn't go that far. They were the best team tonight, and they wanted it more. I congratulate them on their effort and win, because I think the seniors finally deserved it.

However.....
They might be the best team in the region, and i believe they are, but I wouldn't say such a thing based on a game (between any 2 teams) that went into double overtime. You cant honestly believe that either team would win in every match up.
villefan Wrote:Well they were obviously 9 points better tonight. Paintsville's players were in foul trouble the whole game. How can you say the refs didn't mind helping Landon ? I figured someone would bring up the ref situation but if you were there it went both ways. They definitely let them play. The only thing that aggravated me is they would let someone run completely over another player then call some petty touch foul the next play.

No Paintsville is not 9 points better then Valley. If it wasn't for valley foulin them at the end it wouldn't of been 9 points it would of stayed at 4. But agree the refs where horrible, not just for valley but for both sides. Slone did really well when not foulin out.

And im not taking anything way from paintsville when I say this but if Taylor Newsome wasn't out then I dont even see paintsville as a threat to Valley.

But congrats to all players for paintsville, they played a great game.
Good luck againts JC tomorrow night!!
transplanttiger Wrote:Wow what a game!!! Great effort from great teams. Both teams showed great sportsmanship. Everything was great except a few unruley parents on the SV side. Thank god for the state police and their quick response to the issue. Thank you SV boys bball and staff I will remember this one for years.

Maybe the officer had personal ties to BMR, it never hurts to know the right people. Confusedhh: Congrats to both teams on a great game, one of the best high school games I've ever seen.
NYY10 Wrote:No Paintsville is not 9 points better then Valley. If it wasn't for valley foulin them at the end it wouldn't of been 9 points it would of stayed at 4. But agree the refs where horrible, not just for valley but for both sides. Slone did really well when not foulin out.

And im not taking anything way from paintsville when I say this but if Taylor Newsome wasn't out then I dont even see paintsville as a threat to Valley.

But congrats to all players for paintsville, they played a great game.
Good luck againts JC tomorrow night!!

A bunch of people were talking about this. J-town won the 7th, Valley couldn't beat J-town the Taylor, Paintsville barely beats Valley without Taylor, I say J-town can beat Paintsville by 10 at least.
fusion Wrote:Agree 100 %
Booher has made some stupid decisions all his career. This game showed it.

Congrats too BMR btw, not really a Paintsville fan, but have great respect for the man. Good luck tomorrow in the championship.

I wouldn't go that far. They were the best team tonight, and they wanted it more. I congratulate them on their effort and win, because I think the seniors finally deserved it.

However.....
They might be the best team in the region, and i believe they are, but I wouldn't say such a thing based on a game (between any 2 teams) that went into double overtime. You cant honestly believe that either team would win in every match up.

I didn't mean they would win every matchup. I said I would take them over Valley any day. Which means the team. Their heart and determination. I would take them in a close game like this any day. That's what I meant. You can never tell who will win every time with two team like this, but I think Paintsville showed the most heart and determination, and because of that i would tak them over Valley.
:Thumbs: Congratulations Tigers. Finish what you started!
PC_You_Know Wrote:A bunch of people were talking about this. J-town won the 7th, Valley couldn't beat J-town the Taylor, Paintsville barely beats Valley without Taylor, I say J-town can beat Paintsville by 10 at least.

ok, but Paintsville could have beat valley by 15+ if it wasn't for dumb fouls, and 14 TO!!! But you never know do ya!?!?!?!
PC_You_Know Wrote:A bunch of people were talking about this. J-town won the 7th, Valley couldn't beat J-town the Taylor, Paintsville barely beats Valley without Taylor, I say J-town can beat Paintsville by 10 at least.

How did you come to that conclusion? I just really don't understand what your getting at. I know Valley didn't beat them, regardless if they had Taylor, but Paintsville did beat Valley so I would think they would have just as good of a shot at beating J-town as Valley would, probably even a better chance.
Hopefully we will see.......I have my tickets in section 14.........Go Tigers!
OMG Wrote:How did you come to that conclusion? I just really don't understand what your getting at. I know Valley didn't beat them, regardless if they had Taylor, but Paintsville did beat Valley so I would think they would have just as good of a shot at beating J-town as Valley would, probably even a better chance.

I think Paintsville has a good chance if they make it. Some people just can't come to the conclusion that the Tigers was the better team tonight.
villefan Wrote:I think Paintsville has a good chance if they make it. Some people just can't come to the conclusion that the Tigers was the better team tonight.

I know i'm done talking about it. It really exhausts me.
gettheball Wrote:Just wondering if anyone knows why Johnson Central's coachs was all cheering for Shelby Valley?????
Perhaps they thought they stood a better chance against Shelby Valley??? Or, they couldn't stand the thought of losing to Paintsville a fourth time?? Who knows?
BlueStripes Wrote:Congrats Paintsville!!!! I about had a heart attack, and crap my pants lol. Valley played great D in the second half to make a great comebacl, but the Paintsville Sr.'s has found a way to win those types of games this season rather than lose them. Ladon came up huge with repounds, and D tonight. Grimm just hustled his but off and kept making key shots under the goal for the tigers. Congrats Paintsville, and to S Valley on a great game, and great season!! Best game I've seen in highscool!!

Careful... some of us know you too well...Wink
OMG Wrote:I know i'm done talking about it. It really exhausts me.

Lol, tell me about it. Maybe it's wishful thinking. And I think 9 points is more than barely beating them.
DortonWildcat5 Wrote:Funny thing is that I was wondering where you were at on here and while I was posting the stats you had posted asking for stats.

Great game to watch!

Awesome game to watch. I kept telling the guys beside me, when we had that big lead, that it wasn't safe. I knew that SV wouldn't give up. The venue was awesome and the kids played their hearts out. You could tell in the second OT that both teams were tired. They were all loosing their footing and stumbling all over the court. They were flat worn out. Hats off to every player tonight for giving us ONE H*LL OF A SHOW! :notworthy
PC_You_Know Wrote:Okay, you agree about Paintsville gettin breaks, do you also agree Landon gets away with a lot?

What I agree with is that a lot of players for both teams got away with a lot! And then there were players that didn't get away with much! Murray was hammered by the refs. I believe if he had just looked at a SV player they would have called a foul on him! lol The refs let a lot of players on both ends get fouled. Landon may have gotten away with some, but he was also beaten up on badly with tons of no calls! It was just a bad game all the way around by the refs and it hurt both teams. I don't think Paintsville got any more breaks than Valley. The refs made sure the total fouls were about equal, but what made it difficult on the players was the inconsistency. They would let one player steamroll over another with no call and then call a foul next for just touching a player. It hurt both teams! But with the bench, Valley didn't suffer as badly. They just missed the foul shots and then held the ball in the OT's! That is where Valley lost whatever advantage that they had to win the game!
What a game... One of the best games I've ever witnessed! Landon truly wanted to win this game and it showed on some of the plays he made. I thought in the overtimes that Valley should have attacked Paintsville with the foul trouble they where in but they didn't, and that was ultimately one of the reasons why they lost. Bundy made some nice plays and Grimm just couldn't be stopped down low. Jacob Bryant played a real good game but when he went down with the injury in the 4th it really took all of Valley's offense away from them. But Valley had there chances and didn't capitalize on some of Paintsville's mistakes.

It was just Paintsville's year, they deserved it. Valley will be the team to beat for the next two seasons but tonight's game was what high school basketball in the 15th region was all about with all these players laying there heart on the line.

Congrats Paintsville... Great effort Valley!
villefan Wrote:Lol, tell me about it. Maybe it's wishful thinking. And I think 9 points is more than barely beating them.

So your saying this game wasn't close?
:confused:
  •  Previous
  • 5(current)
  • Next