•  Previous
  • 6(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Raceland 2015
devilbacker Wrote:Messer transferred after is 6th grade year because his dad was mad after they said he couldn't coach anymore. That 6th grade team traveled the eastern part of the state so he could show off Connor. 23 games and he scheduled 2 in one day. And yet the stud of the team was Bronson.

His dad did not agree with the football program and going back to JFL in middle school. The truth is that certain people who had kids who were not very good at football wanted their kids to be the running back or QB, how did that work out for them? Not very good.
Connor's Dad coached at Raceland, a program that played in the State Championship Game in 2010 and 2012, with many league Championships, also beating Russel in 7th grade and 8th grade this year in Middle School ball. Sounds like he is doing something right. Raceland's programs speaks for itself.

What was one of the first things that Coach Maynard did when he got there? Changed the middle school program BACK to playing grade ball instead of 6th graders playing against 8th graders. How long had it been since Russell won the region, 2005, the last year they played grade ball. After they won the state they went back to JFL in middle school and never won a region until this year. OH and they are playing grade ball again, like it was when the Messer's left for Raceland, sounds like he knew what would be better for the kids. Unless Coach Maynard is crazy, because he agrees.

That 6th grade team traveled and played the best competition they could find. They played this years seniors on the 3A State Championship BELFRY PIRATES team and held them to MINUS 36 yards yes this was during a 6th grade game but it was the team that Belfry fielded.

The 6th grade team actually played 2 games a day because they had alot of kids playing. So if you played in the first game, then you did not play in the second. Estill County Bowl game, EVERY KID on the team carried the ball at least once.

That team lost 1 game in 4 years playing as a combined team. Why are you crying?

Now for your last comment. Bronson Korzep, Bronson is a great player, always was and is a very good kid. Bronson Korzep had more carries than Connor did in middle school. You can go back to the posts on here when they were in 6th grade and read every game post review with stats. Bronson had more carries, Connor had more yards. Bronson is a great ball player and should have been showcased more this year I think as a senior. I think he was the heart of the team and a workhorse that could have carried that team. Just my opinion.

So if you go by results after middle school you will find this.

1. Coach Maynard changed the program BACK to real football in 2014
2. Connor Messer had great success at Raceland.
3. Raceland beat Russell 5 out of 6 years at the high school level.
4. Russells player of the year this year was Jacob McKee- a junior.
5. Messer was named, 2015 KY USATF Youth Athlete of the Year, 2014 All Area Player of the Year, 2014 All Conference Player of the Year, 2014 District Player of the Year. 2014 USA Outdoor National Champion in Decathlon. Also heard that Connor is playing in an All American Game in Myrtle Beach and in the Blue-Grey All Star Game in Tampa, Florida.
It must suck to still be focused on that issue from 6 years ago. There are counselors available through pathways if you need someone to talk to.
Really if you have questions you can just post again.
Scotty_Bronson Wrote:These kids are all 2s btw. The starters will be Wallace(Jr), Jerome Hall(Jr), Alex Niece(sr), Caden Townsend(Sr), and whoever ends up at Center. Alex Willet, Jake Dixon, Justin Fairchild, Mauk, and Manis are all under goina be here for the next 2-3 years (some r sophs and some r jrs), so we should have prett good depth on both sides of the LOS. Lets not forget Morgan Carmen and Seth Hobrook, either. Both a very quick and gery strong, but played primarily on the defensive side of the ball last year.

I see Reece Hall being the step in Center next year. he is BIG and has good foot work. Some people overlook him for some reason, but do not be surprised to see him starting o the line.
ManofGOD Wrote:I see Reece Hall being the step in Center next year. he is BIG and has good foot work. Some people overlook him for some reason, but do not be surprised to see him starting o the line.

Caden Townsend will be Center.
ManofGOD Wrote:His dad did not agree with the football program and going back to JFL in middle school. The truth is that certain people who had kids who were not very good at football wanted their kids to be the running back or QB, how did that work out for them? Not very good.
Connor's Dad coached at Raceland, a program that played in the State Championship Game in 2010 and 2012, with many league Championships, also beating Russel in 7th grade and 8th grade this year in Middle School ball. Sounds like he is doing something right. Raceland's programs speaks for itself.

What was one of the first things that Coach Maynard did when he got there? Changed the middle school program BACK to playing grade ball instead of 6th graders playing against 8th graders. How long had it been since Russell won the region, 2005, the last year they played grade ball. After they won the state they went back to JFL in middle school and never won a region until this year. OH and they are playing grade ball again, like it was when the Messer's left for Raceland, sounds like he knew what would be better for the kids. Unless Coach Maynard is crazy, because he agrees.

That 6th grade team traveled and played the best competition they could find. They played this years seniors on the 3A State Championship BELFRY PIRATES team and held them to MINUS 36 yards yes this was during a 6th grade game but it was the team that Belfry fielded.

The 6th grade team actually played 2 games a day because they had alot of kids playing. So if you played in the first game, then you did not play in the second. Estill County Bowl game, EVERY KID on the team carried the ball at least once.

That team lost 1 game in 4 years playing as a combined team. Why are you crying?

Now for your last comment. Bronson Korzep, Bronson is a great player, always was and is a very good kid. Bronson Korzep had more carries than Connor did in middle school. You can go back to the posts on here when they were in 6th grade and read every game post review with stats. Bronson had more carries, Connor had more yards. Bronson is a great ball player and should have been showcased more this year I think as a senior. I think he was the heart of the team and a workhorse that could have carried that team. Just my opinion.

5. Messer was named, 2015 KY USATF Youth Athlete of the Year, 2014 All Area Player of the Year, 2014 All Conference Player of the Year, 2014 District Player of the Year. 2014 USA Outdoor National Champion in Decathlon. Also heard that Connor is playing in an All American Game in Myrtle Beach and in the Blue-Grey All Star Game in Tampa, Florida.
It must suck to still be focused on that issue from 6 years ago. There are counselors available through pathways if you need someone to talk to.
50% correct....50% incorrect. I think all "in the know" would agree but it's best to let sleeping dogs lie IMO.
ManofGOD Wrote:I see Reece Hall being the step in Center next year. he is BIG and has good foot work. Some people overlook him for some reason, but do not be surprised to see him starting o the line.

Reece has good footwork and pretty good speed north to south. His biggest issue is upper body strength, lateral movement, and stamina. He is a really nice kid and has alot of potential. If he could turn some fat ito muscle, and condition himself well this offseason, it would do wonders for him. Compare Isaac Wallace as a 6" 310 lb freshman to his 6'1" 285 lb version this year, its night and day. Thats why I think Caden gets the start at center.
If we do indeed start playing more of a 5-2 and 3-4 looks defensively, I expect Reece to play alot of NG. Thats what I really see him as. A good run stopper in the middle and has the ability to open up take on blockers, shed them, create space and really make thigs easier for our Lbs.
DevilWatcher Wrote:50% correct....50% incorrect. I think all "in the know" would agree but it's best to let sleeping dogs lie IMO.

UH it is clear that you do not know the truth because all of it is true, and nice call to let it lie since YOU brought it up.
Sometime people have it in their heads the way they think things are, but even when they are proven wrong they still continue to disbelieve.
Can you point out what is correct and what is incorrect? I am waiting to hear this.
I really think Reese may get the spot,, alot of time to grow up this year. Not saying anything against Townsend or any other of our kids. Just that Reese Hall may be the sleeper this year.
Imo, it will depend on what they are lookig for. Caden is quicker but Reece is more like Bradley. Lucas has a little brother, Andrew, that has nice size too. But i think he is a year away from seeing alot of snaps.

I have to agree with you here. I saw the kid play a few JV games and wondered why he wasn't rotating in on varsity.
ManofGOD Wrote:UH it is clear that you do not know the truth because all of it is true, and nice call to let it lie since YOU brought it up.
Sometime people have it in their heads the way they think things are, but even when they are proven wrong they still continue to disbelieve.
Can you point out what is correct and what is incorrect? I am waiting to hear this.

I think your crying comment is probably geared towards devilbacker since I have never cried about anything. Russell's problems were never at the JFL level. Problem was what they high school level and what Russell offense did with the talent once it got there. Russell JFL were always very competitive at Racelands a Black Bowl. After Russell's 1st attempt at grade ball numbers did decline thus leaving the high school level depleated. Add some poor play calling and you have some down years at Russell. Russell's JFL was always a feeder system to the Varsity. It's at the Varsity level for coaches to decide who has the goods or not to play. Not at the middle school level. Only 5% of 6th graders ever played against an 8th grader. This years Junior class never played grade ball. They were the first bunch to play all the way up through JFL. Their first year playing together as a unit was their freshman year in which they were undefeated out scoring opponents 263-62. This years sophomore class were also undefeated never playing grade ball. I guess in a nutshell I'm just saying Russells JFL was working. It was just at the HS level that it all went down the crapper.
Raceland always seems to produce QBs that take over for the previous year's starter with little, if any, drop in production. It'll be interesting to see if that trend continues. If Black is the starter next year, can he pick up where Young left off? A strong trio of RBs(Snyder, Christian, Walker) should ease the transition.

Losing a starting QB and top two recievers(Messer, Dixon) combined with the aforementioned returning backs could mean a more run heavy offense for the Rams. If the passing game struggles early, will Salmons coach to his personnel(i.e. run more) or will he continue to try and get something going through the air.

Russell's passing game regressed as the season progressed this year. It seemed like Maynard realized what the strength of the team was and coached more to that strength as the season went on. McKee's pass attempts decreased over the second half of the season.
samson81 Wrote:Raceland always seems to produce QBs that take over for the previous year's starter with little, if any, drop in production. It'll be interesting to see if that trend continues. If Black is the starter next year, can he pick up where Young left off? A strong trio of RBs(Snyder, Christian, Walker) should ease the transition.

Losing a starting QB and top two recievers(Messer, Dixon) combined with the aforementioned returning backs could mean a more run heavy offense for the Rams. If the passing game struggles early, will Salmons coach to his personnel(i.e. run more) or will he continue to try and get something going through the air.

Russell's passing game regressed as the season progressed this year. It seemed like Maynard realized what the strength of the team was and coached more to that strength as the season went on. McKee's pass attempts decreased over the second half of the season.

Unless we can play shutout defense for 4 quarters, we will have to be able to throw the ball, atleast intermediately. We cant be one demensional and get to where we hope to go unless we can completely shut out opponents AND be able to kick and pin teams deep in their own territory. Id like to see us get better in that regaurd any way, the revolving door of kickers and giving up field position on kick offs hurt us against Williamsburg as much as our lack of a passing game did.
ManofGOD Wrote:His dad did not agree with the football program and going back to JFL in middle school. The truth is that certain people who had kids who were not very good at football wanted their kids to be the running back or QB, how did that work out for them? Not very good.

Did all Messers talent get lost on everyone that post here that saw him play? You are the only one to nominate him for the all rivals team.
mightydog Wrote:Did all Messers talent get lost on everyone that post here that saw him play? You are the only one to nominate him for the all rivals team.

Tbh, Connor fell victim to a few things, that didnt allow him to truly show what he was capable of at WR. Number 1, his Frosh-Jr year, his QB didnt have a major downfield arm, he went for 700 yds and 10 tds as a Jr, but his senior season, he was often double/triple covered and the loss of Trey Potter only enhanced that coverage, that coupled with the expansion and improvement in the run game, begsn to limit receptions, not only for him, but for all the WR. But if you look at Connor's yards per play, over all tds, interceptions, punts, and tackles, I think he should be a lock for an ATH for the ABGR team. Imo, he has a future as a punter if he'd want. Good placement, good distance, good hang-time. That was possibly the most impressive thing about his senior season, he had some absolutely stellar catches as well.
mightydog Wrote:Did all Messers talent get lost on everyone that post here that saw him play? You are the only one to nominate him for the all rivals team.

Jealousy goes along way.
All Area- player of the year
All Conference- player of the Year
All District Player of the Year
Played- X,Y,Z,QB,P,PR,K,KR.FS= 10 posititions on the team.
Also kicked 29 extra points, and was 7 for 7 on 2 point conversions.

OFFENSE:
Rushing- 97 rushes for 887 yards- 14TD, 9.2 yards a carry
Passing- 29 of 35, 0 INT- 438 yards 10 TD- 15.1 yards a pass
Receiving- 115 catches for 1994 yards- 31 TDs- 17.3 yards a catch
Kicking- 29 Extra points
49.8 punt average.

DEFENSE:
Fumble recoveries: 5 recoveries for 38 yards 1TD
Tackles: 195 tackles
6 Punt returns for TD’s @ 366 yards
Interceptions: 18 INT for 432 yards and 5TDs- 24 yards a return.
^^^pretty good career if u ask me.
No doubt a great HS talent. and from all ive heard a great kid. But of all the talented kids that have multiple mentions from different posters. why would they pick Messer to be jealouse of?
mightydog Wrote:No doubt a great HS talent. and from all ive heard a great kid. But of all the talented kids that have multiple mentions from different posters. why would they pick Messer to be jealouse of?

Idk and idc. Back to 2015. Who do you all expect to become the feature back next year? Snyder, Christian, or Walker?
Snyder had more yards and he and Christian led the team with 10 rushing tds each. Walker had the fewest carries of the 3 but was, imo, the best grind it out back. I think, while they are all hard runners, Snyder is your work horse, Walker is your bruiser and Christian, while he isnt lightning fast, is shifty and has shored up his issues on fumbling the ball. I look for him to be the homerun back. If we can get the QB situation taken care of and have a good play action and intermediate passing attack, we should be better offensively next year. It will be different though. More like a miniature Belfry imo. Great defense and grind games out. We should still be able to score in bunches though.
Scotty_Bronson Wrote:Idk and idc. Back to 2015. Who do you all expect to become the feature back next year? Snyder, Christian, or Walker?

The game will dictate what is run (& the scouting report).
Slic Ric Wrote:The game will dictate what is run (& the scouting report).

I have to agree here. The returning backs should definitely give us some ability to be pretty versitile in the run game. They are all downhill, smashmouth type of runners. But, they all have unique abilities as well. Christian has a really good ability to find a seem and shake guys away from him, but can still throw a shoulder or drop his head if he needs to. Snyder and Walker would both just as soon run over you as apposed to try and get around you and Davidson is kind of a combination of the 2. Together, they provide a couple guys who can get to the edge and turn it upfield and 2 guys who can battle between the tackles. But all of them are really hard nosed football players. They are all great defensive players as well. Coupled with Seth Holbrook, Snyder, Davidson, and Walker make up the LBs and Christian will probably be playing FS. If we can continue to have experience in groups like this past year (experience in the skill/inexperience at RB/LB, OL/DL). 2015 will see the exact opposite. This should allow us to simply reload each year, which if you look at the perenial state champ contenders, thats just what they do.
Big suprise coming in Ram land after the X-Mas break. Merry x-Mas
RAM-A-DEVIL Wrote:Big suprise coming in Ram land after the X-Mas break. Merry x-Mas

Care to elaborate?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Nope. Will have to wait until after x-mas break. Don't want to mention any names. 90%sure not a 100. Don't want to say anything premature.
Great insight and information Scotty, your posts are always to the point and fair to any school you may be posting about. I have never read anything from you that wasn't well thought out.
Now to the Rams next year. Losing Messer was HUGE, just an incredible athlete and one of the most complete high school football players I have seen in years. They have some very capable players returning and the coaching staff really did a great job last year of getting the kids focused every Friday. I don't know if they can duplicate last season's success as some teams are going to be bringing back some good players and some new ones as well, but I wouldn't bet against the Rams if they can bring that same focus next season as well. Good luck to all the local teams and their coaching staffs too.
ManofGOD Wrote:Jealousy goes along way.
All Area- player of the year
All Conference- player of the Year
All District Player of the Year
Played- X,Y,Z,QB,P,PR,K,KR.FS= 10 posititions on the team.
Also kicked 29 extra points, and was 7 for 7 on 2 point conversions.

OFFENSE:
Rushing- 97 rushes for 887 yards- 14TD, 9.2 yards a carry
Passing- 29 of 35, 0 INT- 438 yards 10 TD- 15.1 yards a pass
Receiving- 115 catches for 1994 yards- 31 TDs- 17.3 yards a catch
Kicking- 29 Extra points
49.8 punt average.

DEFENSE:
Fumble recoveries: 5 recoveries for 38 yards 1TD
Tackles: 195 tackles
6 Punt returns for TD’s @ 366 yards
Interceptions: 18 INT for 432 yards and 5TDs- 24 yards a return.

WOW!!!! That is just off the charts amazing, what incredible numbers! I don't know what the voting tally looked like for all area player of the year, but with what he did it honestly shouldn't have been too close. And I would expect the QB for Fairview next year to dominate the voting if he can duplicate the season he had, and with what he has to throw to he should be able to do it.
Congrats to 2014 Senior Connor Messer! 3rd team All-State DB.
RAM-A-DEVIL Wrote:I respect your opinion. If the Kid is the best man for the job what's the problem? if you've been at it for 3 or 4 years and a first year guy can come out and take your position I would think its time to find something else to do. I'm not big on that he's been here longer thing anyway. Play your best players.
Sports at a high school are an extracurricular activity anyway. Can they turn anyone down that wants to play?

Not in such a small school system for sure. My Sr year, Shawn Deskins and Tyler Chambers were bith first year guys atleast at the HS level. They flurished in that secondary. It sucks for a kid thats been at it for 4 years. But its the way it goes. The best player should play.
I would think as a coaching staff they would want the best players regardless of how many years they have played. Besides.....football is a numbers game. More players=more depth. Not to mention if anybody does come out they aren't going to get a free pass into the starting lineup anyway. They will be competing for playing time like everybody else.
  •  Previous
  • 6(current)
  • Next