•  Previous
  • 6(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shelby Valley 55 - Elliott County 52 All "A" Semi-Finals
blitzingback Wrote:I had not seen either of these 2 play this year. With that being said I don't see how EC was ranked #1 in the state. Their passes were lazy, if they made mistakes they didn't hustle back on defense, the just looked sloppy, and they were dominated inside. Like I said though this is coming from someone who hasn't watched them play before.
Shelby Valley on the other hand was intense coming out of the gate. They were quick to the ball, taking away 3's on the perimeter and forced EC to take bad off balanced shots. The justice kid is good. I had my doubts before seeing him thinking it was just hype from overzealous fans, but he is the real deal. Also #10 impressed me, I'd look his name up on KHSAA, but I'm being lazy, he impressed me also. He was hard nosed. They thing that SV didn't do, as it's already been said was hit the FT's.
EC did show heart and battled back so you have to give that to them. I started to leave in the 3rd quarter, I'm glad I stayed it was a 2 possesion game with 42 seconds to go. And with 3 seconds to go EC had a shot to go into overtime. Can't ask for a better game than that.

From someone who has seen Elliott County play this is very surprising. I have never seen them get outhustled. I have seen them get outplayed and outexecuted but not outhustled. Intensity and hustle have been their trademark.

I'm not making an excuse for them but I do beilieve they may have fallen victim to a case of the big head. I think they may have started believing some of the hype instead of going out to prove a point. That chip on their shoulder attitude is what got Elliott County the reputation they have. The fact that they did not hustle back after mistakes were made speaks volumes. It is very surprising.
FBALL Wrote:From someone who has seen Elliott County play this is very surprising. I have never seen them get outhustled. I have seen them get outplayed and outexecuted but not outhustled. Intensity and hustle have been their trademark.

I'm not making an excuse for them but I do beilieve they may have fallen victim to a case of the big head. I think they may have started believing some of the hype instead of going out to prove a point. That chip on their shoulder attitude is what got Elliott County the reputation they have. The fact that they did not hustle back after mistakes were made speaks volumes. It is very surprising.

Well said, I agree with all of this.
FBALL Wrote:From someone who has seen Elliott County play this is very surprising. I have never seen them get outhustled. I have seen them get outplayed and outexecuted but not outhustled. Intensity and hustle have been their trademark.

The only big head the boys from Elliott got was from all the Elliott posters on here saying Valley didn't stand a chance. And please don't bring up, "these boys don't get on here", I went to SV, and BGR was brought up all the time.
PC_You_Know Wrote:The only big head the boys from Elliott got was from all the Elliott posters on here saying Valley didn't stand a chance. And please don't bring up, "these boys don't get on here", I went to SV, and BGR was brought up all the time.

I have no association with Elliott County or Shelby Valley. I have seen them play though.

I couldn't honestly tell you if any of them get on here. Honestly it doesn't matter to me.

But the observation that I made was a response to a member that had only seen Elliott County play this one time. The fact that that member said Elliott County was not hustling is shocking to those that have seen them play.

Well said FBALL.
FBALL Wrote:I have no association with Elliott County or Shelby Valley. I have seen them play though.

I couldn't honestly tell you if any of them get on here. Honestly it doesn't matter to me.

But the observation that I made was a response to a member that had only seen Elliott County play this one time. The fact that that member said Elliott County was not hustling is shocking to those that have seen them play.

Very true statement Down 14 or so with under 4 min in the game with a chance to tie it that ha sto be hustle or something.. Also great team find a way to win and make free throws to but game away.
Looked to me SV was playing not to lose more than they was playing to win. Free throw shooting is all that kept EC in the game and if it were not for all the missed free throws this would have been more like a 10 to 15 point game plain and simple. SV defense just flat out took EC out of their game.:Big Grin
ky wildcats Wrote:Very true statement Down 14 or so with under 4 min in the game with a chance to tie it that ha sto be hustle or something.. Also great team find a way to win and make free throws to but game away.
If this is true, you are saying that both Shelby Valley and Elliott Co. are not considered great teams? Shelby Valley for missing their free throws and Elliott Co. for not finding a way to win?
It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It is the size of the fight in the dog.
whoa, congrats valley.
letthebighogroot Wrote:First, the only place this game has been hyped since '07 is SV. EC has NEVER been compared to SV, it's always been the other way around. A question for you.....If you are SV, playing the #1 team in the state (per Herald Leader), and the team that beat you 2 years ago in Rupp. Don't you think you are gonna be more jacked up than the team ranked #1 that beat you?????? Enough of that though, SV outplayed us in this game and deserved to win! I said in my prediction post that SV would win if they controlled tempo. I'll also add this.....If they meet again in Rupp.......SV will not win, because EC will meet thier intensity level.

No, Elliott and SV have been compared to each other on here numerous times. And it's not just the SV fans, either. I have read countless posts on here from Elliott fans describing how they are so much better than SV, and how SV could never hold a candle to them. If that's not comparing Elliott to SV, I don't know what is.

Elliott had plenty of reason to be fired up for the game, as I mentioned earlier. You don't think the chance to play for the All-A state title was motivation enough? Or the chance to knock back some little pest of a team that dares to challenge their eastern KY supremacy? I'm sorry, but EC had just as much reason to want this game as SV.

And I'm not knocking Elliott's team. They are still one of the best teams in the state, and are pretty even with Shelby Valley in my book. Before the game, I thought EC was definitely the better team, but I was wrong. The two seem evenly matched, and if they meet again in Rupp, either team would have a good chance to win. I will say one thing, if SV gets a 15 point lead on Elliott, don't count on 10 straight missed free throws again...

What I am knocking is the posters trying to throw out the "they weren't motivated" excuse for why EC lost. That's bull. SV was the better team Sunday morning, plain and simple.
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I thought Elliott was the better team and still do. I will not take anything away from SV,They went in and got it done and deserve all the credit for it. I agree with some of the SV fans though If Elliott couldn't get up for this game something is wrong someplace.

If they meet again if SV misses 11 ft in a row that means they will be even further behind.Big Grin
kybaseball Wrote:I thought Elliott was the better team and still do. I will not take anything away from SV,They went in and got it done and deserve all the credit for it. I agree with some of the SV fans though If Elliott couldn't get up for this game something is wrong someplace.

If they meet again if SV misses 11 ft in a row that means they will be even further behind.Big Grin

Shelby Valley was never behind in the game. Elliott has some catching up to do on Valley this season.
PC_You_Know Wrote:Shelby Valley was never behind in the game. Elliott has some catching up to do on Valley this season.

I meant if they meet at Rupp.Big Grin

Now this was until the end of the third quarter. They then started to get after it and showed they are a legit team. Don't want people to think I was downing EC, I wasn't, just giving my opinion on the game.
justabballfan Wrote:Well, my belly is full I sure missed this one. As for all the excuses I have none. SV was the better team today just didn't look like EC had played a team that plays as good of D as SV does. Adams may have played the best game he has played this year he was far more aggressive than I have seen him in the past. Honestly, SV would have beat them by 15 if it would have not been for 1 man in stripes and they had made free throws. Hats off to SV, got to go though my stomach is killing me, ahh it's worth it.:worthy: On a side note the Justice boy was just to much for Faulkner 1 and 2 really don't see much of a comparsion here after witnessing this one so lets not bring this one up again but I'll bet if they were tired before this one they were exhausted afterwards.

Yeah I would say your belly is hurting, you sure did eat enough crow didnt you?:lmao:
Most people were like justabballfan and thought it would be a blow out and SV would lose by 20 or more, but I knew if both teams came ready to play it would be a tough game. Valley came ready to play, and really wanted that win. They played a great game. Adams stepped up big time, and was really agressive, best game I have seen him play. Taylor Newsome also was a big rebounder in this game. Elisha also played a great game, and showed the Faulkner boys he was as good as or better than them. One thing they really need to work on is there free throws, they missed 11 straight and it almost lost the game for them, that is one thing they REALLY need to work on.

But great win boys I am proud of you, really happy you won and brought the win back to Pike County.Big Grin
Just a few highlights from this game. If you are a Shelby Valley fan that is. Sorry if I missed anything that you think should be in there, but I started this at 3 am this morning.

More to come from all games of the All A later when I get the time to do it
It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It is the size of the fight in the dog.
BasketBallonlyfan Wrote:Just a few highlights from this game. If you are a Shelby Valley fan that is. Sorry if I missed anything that you think should be in there, but I started this at 3 am this morning.

More to come from all games of the All A later when I get the time to do it

First few minutes of the game, Elliott looked shocked that Elisha was as good as he is, they didn't know what to do against him. I loved watching this game and seeing the dish to Deven for the dunk, that was beautiful.
If nothing else that video shows that SV is ALOT quicker than Elliott.
InstantOffense Wrote:If nothing else that video shows that SV is ALOT quicker than Elliott.
Yes.
I will say this, Shelby Valley has a great defense but they did get away with alot. I'm glad the trophy came back to the mountains, but anybody that has been to the Sweet Sixteen enough knows that they would have been called for alot of fouls at Rupp. That was no suprise to me, the officiating at the All "A" is always bad (before some get all bent out of shape, I'm not saying that's why they won).
Phil McCavity Wrote:I will say this, Shelby Valley has a great defense but they did get away with alot. I'm glad the trophy came back to the mountains, but anybody that has been to the Sweet Sixteen enough knows that they would have been called for alot of fouls at Rupp. That was no suprise to me, the officiating at the All "A" is always bad (before some get all bent out of shape, I'm not saying that's why they won).

Elliott always gets away with a lot. Such as 2 years ago at Rupp against Valley. No officiating is perfect but Shelby Valley made the shots they needed too and Elliott didn't, simple as that.
Phil McCavity Wrote:I will say this, Shelby Valley has a great defense but they did get away with alot. I'm glad the trophy came back to the mountains, but anybody that has been to the Sweet Sixteen enough knows that they would have been called for alot of fouls at Rupp. That was no suprise to me, the officiating at the All "A" is always bad (before some get all bent out of shape, I'm not saying that's why they won).

I would agree, far and away the most physical team I have seen in the state. And I have seen every team currently ranked in the top 10. Some want to complain about fouls........They get by with WAY more than they get called for.
letthebighogroot Wrote:I would agree, far and away the most physical team I have seen in the state. And I have seen every team currently ranked in the top 10. Some want to complain about fouls........They get by with WAY more than they get called for.
Just a question, with the benches both teams have, would you rather have had it the whistle blown with every touch foul?
Afternoon_Delight Wrote:Shelby Valley's inside game dominated Elliott County's.

Shelby Valley out matches Elliott in almost every category. There is no question and very little debate.

I hope all SV fans and players have your additude in the event of a rematch! Valley played on Adrenaline the first half, the first 5 minutes in particular. They jumped out quick, and managed to hang on to a win. They out matched Elliott in the first 5 minutes. They pretty much played even from there out.
letthebighogroot Wrote:I hope all SV fans and players have your additude in the event of a rematch! Valley played on Adrenaline the first half, the first 5 minutes in particular. They jumped out quick, and managed to hang on to a win. They out matched Elliott in the first 5 minutes. They pretty much played even from there out.
So what about the touch fouls? Should it be called that way? As far as this comment goes, EC cut it to 2-4 points a few times only to have Valley pull back out to 12-15 soon as the lead was cut. That was after the first 5 minutes. Question for you, if there is a rematch, and Valley comes out on top for the second time this season, are you still going to say EC is better or will you give props to Valley?
letthebighogroot Wrote:I hope all SV fans and players have your additude in the event of a rematch! Valley played on Adrenaline the first half, the first 5 minutes in particular. They jumped out quick, and managed to hang on to a win. They out matched Elliott in the first 5 minutes. They pretty much played even from there out.

Ummm ok? So your saying SV led by 14 after 5 minutes into the game because that's what they were ahead with 3 minutes in the game.
BasketBallonlyfan Wrote:Just a question, with the benches both teams have, would you rather have had it the whistle blown with every touch foul?

Absolutely! I would rather see a foul be a foul on both ends. Again, don't take it wrong, SV won the game and was the better team. But the way some of the Valley fans post. They are the meek!!!!! All I'm saying is, Valley is quick enough that they don't have to play such a rough style.............If you wish to doubt me, see example A in the 07' SS. The roughness done them in......As it will again, unless they clean it up.
BasketBallonlyfan Wrote:So what about the touch fouls? Should it be called that way? As far as this comment goes, EC cut it to 2-4 points a few times only to have Valley pull back out to 12-15 soon as the lead was cut. That was after the first 5 minutes. Question for you, if there is a rematch, and Valley comes out on top for the second time this season, are you still going to say EC is better or will you give props to Valley?

I really don't know what to tell ya. I have already said SV outplayed us and deserved to win! Is that props? Or do I need to drive to Pike Co and personally tell every team member and fan that I said they would win if they controlled tempo???? As for the fouls.............YES, had they called every single touch foul............Don't know if the result would have been diff, but the players on the floor for both teams would have!
letthebighogroot Wrote:Absolutely! I would rather see a foul be a foul on both ends. Again, don't take it wrong, SV won the game and was the better team. But the way some of the Valley fans post. They are the meek!!!!! All I'm saying is, Valley is quick enough that they don't have to play such a rough style.............If you wish to doubt me, see example A in the 07' SS. The roughness done them in......As it will again, unless they clean it up.
I think a game full of touch fouls would play in Valleys favor too. We had one game this year where there was 31 fouls called in the first half alone. They was called even against both teams. How would Elliott handle having 3 fouls on 4 different starters before halftime? Valley does have a deeper bench from the games I have seen Elliott play.
BasketBallonlyfan Wrote:I think a game full of touch fouls would play in Valleys favor too. We had one game this year where there was 31 fouls called in the first half alone. They was called even against both teams. How would Elliott handle having 3 fouls on 4 different starters before halftime? Valley does have a deeper bench from the games I have seen Elliott play.
I disagree, it only takes one player for SV getting into foul trouble and they can't afford to be the same team. Enough is enough, I'm not here to nit-pick with you, which it appears you really want to do. I admitted Valley out-played us and deserved to win. Those are the facts! My opinion and your opinion may differ on any possible rematch.
  •  Previous
  • 6(current)
  • Next