Poll: Who wins?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Russell
18.92%
Belfry
81.08%
* You voted for this item.

•  Previous
  • 7(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Russell @ Belfry 11/28(State Semi-final)
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Nicholas County

Bourbon changed their name to CKY Magnet School. hey have had transfers from Lafayette, Nicholas County, Harrison County, Paris, and Scott County in the past two years alone.

No school in KY has benefitted more from lax transfer rules than Bourbon.
Uhh I assure you Belfry has had plenty of transplants. The whole state knows this, it's no secret.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Seriously you are trying to play this card?

You have been around for a long time and I have always liked you... stop trying to play the "poor poor pitiful Russell" card.

But since you want to go that way he has over 1250 yards through 13 games and his last two games has averaged around 170.

If Belfry advances past Russell it is likely he will flirt with 1500 yards from the FB position. say what you want and try to downplay it..but that is simply phenomenal from a FB who every team who has played Belfry has gameplanned to try and take him out of the picture.
U better agree with him or he won't like you??
I wonder what impact Coach Morris and Coach Edwards will have on Russell's preparation. As far as I know, they are the only remnants of Russell's program from those '04-'06 battles.

I'm sure Coach Maynard and his staff will make sure these kids understand what is in front of them. This is a huge opportunity for the Devils in just year one of a new era.

Is it Friday yet?.... nope, just Sunday. This is going to be a long week. Smile
Demarcus ware Wrote:Then you should come watch him play. Fullback that runs for 150+. You're right. Wow what a kid.

Checked it out and he is not on the website for yardage. He has scored a lot of TD's and he sounds like a great player. I can see why you guys are proud. Russell had a hard tine with a kid from Ironton who sounds a lot like Hatfield. The kid from Ironton was about 6 ft. and 230.
Football Junky Wrote:Uhh I assure you Belfry has had plenty of transplants. The whole state knows this, it's no secret.

How many transfers does Belfry have on this year's roster outside of Corbett?
(0)How many transfers were on the Belfry team last season that defeated Bourbon?

How many transfers were on the 2013 Bourbon County team?

How many transfers were on the 2014 Bourbon County team?

Belfry has had transfers.. no one disputes that...but as I stated NO TEAM has benefitted more the past few years than Bourbon.
Jeepman Wrote:So if my calculations are right he should have about 1950 yards for the season at the minimum because you said 150+. I would say for a fullback in high school that is amazing. Very few running backs can match that. I guess I'm off to the KHSAA website to check how many are over 1950 yards to this point.
Nice try. Jealousy is starting to show though. You shouldn't worry about Hatfield he's really not that good. Guess you should just come watch the game. He'll be that #5 running over your boys.
samson81 Wrote:Based on seeing both teams play, where do you believe Belfry separates itself from Russell? I want to believe that the Devils can hold their own in the trenches. Maybe too much Belfry speed at the skill positions will be the difference?

I take it you're a Colonel supporter... If so, it's unfortunate that Holman's career ended like it did. A player of his caliber deserved better. Best of luck to you guys next year in 4A. With Highlands and CovCath moving up and Boyle Co. and LexCath moving down, it's going to be wide open.
Belfry just has better players and more of them. Both sides of the line, 3 or 4 good RB's & they do a good job hiding the ball so the D can't react. Belfry is more physical, well coached, makes adjustments as needed, lot deeper. The home field advantage will be big as that crazy train horn constantly goes off
EKUAlum05 Wrote:How many transfers does Belfry have on this year's roster outside of Corbett?
(0)How many transfers were on the Belfry team last season that defeated Bourbon?

How many transfers were on the 2013 Bourbon County team?

How many transfers were on the 2014 Bourbon County team?

Belfry has had transfers.. no one disputes that...but as I stated NO TEAM has benefitted more the past few years than Bourbon.
Look friend of mine kid played with 3 all stars from Belfry from 8th grade a few years back. All 3 lived in WV... Just stop while your ahead. They even said they were pouring over from WV just to play for Haywood...
Demarcus ware Wrote:Nice try. Jealousy is starting to show though. You shouldn't worry about Hatfield he's really not that good. Guess you should just come watch the game. He'll be that #5 running over your boys.

My goodness you guys are thin skinned and very confident. I watched his video and he is everything said. So relax and take your midol.
Go ahead and take on EKU. He has prob forgot more about football than you know now. You'll be in the corner sucking your thumb before it's over.
Jeepman Wrote:My goodness you guys are thin skinned and very confident. I watched his video and he is everything said. So relax and take your midol.
DEMARCUS isn't from belfry. Lol.
Jeepman Wrote:My goodness you guys are thin skinned and very confident. I watched his video and he is everything said. So relax and take your midol.
Oh I'm not thin skinned at all. I find it all fun. I do take midol though, cramps are horrible Confusednicker:
skully03 Wrote:Go ahead and take on EKU. He has prob forgot more about football than you know now. You'll be in the corner sucking your thumb before it's over.

Sometimes in life people exaggerate players. I just like hearing a few facts or stats. One thing that did get my attention after watching the video is his quickness. He moves in all directions well.
He not from belfry but we have adopted him. Lol.
skully03 Wrote:He not from belfry but we have adopted him. Lol.

Well if he has been adopted it's legal.

Who are the other ball carriers for Belfry?
Jeepman Wrote:Well if he has been adopted it's legal.

If Corbett is back at QB you will have Taylor at one halfback and Willis at the other. If Taylor is QB it will be Willis and Catron.
I'm anxious to see Russell's defensive strategy. Do they debut a new wrinkle or stick to what got them here? Will the "bend but don't break" defense continue to be good enough? Based on what video I've seen of Hatfield, he's a BRUTE. I'll go out on a limb and say that he enjoys "leg day" at the gym.

At the risk of stating the obvious, the Devils have to win the battle in the trenches. The LBer's can't be so consumed with stopping Hatfield that they let those speedy HB's loose on the edge. That aspect of this game will be Russell's greatest challenge so far this season IMO.
Jeepman Wrote:Well if he has been adopted it's legal.

#5 Hatfield- FB..already discussed. Hatfield's issue is top end speed. Surprisingly light footed for initial quickness and change of direction but a speedster he is not.
#3 Willis- Protoype HB. Decent size, good speed, very good cutting
#4 Taylor- Probably starting QB. The resident Bourbon fan in here will know him as the guy who changed how Bourbon defended Belfry last year with his play at SE. EXCELLENT speed, shifty, and great lateral quickness
#10 Catron- Undersized but a bulldog. Belfry's best blocking HB...runs angry.
#6 Corbett- Was starting at QB until injury. Electric player..big arm.. Not super physical but scary quickness. If he plays at QB Taylor could be HB or SE.
#1 Fletcher- Spell FB. Hard runner... a bit undersized at FB
Football Junky Wrote:Look friend of mine kid played with 3 all stars from Belfry from 8th grade a few years back. All 3 lived in WV... Just stop while your ahead. They even said they were pouring over from WV just to play for Haywood...

Answer the question... having kids attend Belfry Area Schools from an early age legally is a much different topic.. we are solely discussing transfer students at the HS level.

Also I didn't get to say it but I wish Pope the very best with his injury recovery. People have taken some shots but I thought he was a great player and lauded him for two years..still think he was the 3rd best QB Belfry saw last year (and injury certainly played into that). I truly wish him the best.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Seriously you are trying to play this card?

You have been around for a long time and I have always liked you... stop trying to play the "poor poor pitiful Russell" card.

But since you want to go that way he has over 1250 yards through 13 games and his last two games has averaged around 170.

If Belfry advances past Russell it is likely he will flirt with 1500 yards from the FB position. say what you want and try to downplay it..but that is simply phenomenal from a FB who every team who has played Belfry has gameplanned to try and take him out of the picture.

Relax EKU I don't think you took it right. After 13 games reported to KHSAA he does not show. I'm not doubting you. Someone has not keyed it in.

I do think Russell will have an answer for Hatfield in linebacker Bronson Korzep. We will see Friday.
samson81 Wrote:I'm anxious to see Russell's defensive strategy. Do they debut a new wrinkle or stick to what got them here? Will the "bend but don't break" defense continue to be good enough? Based on what video I've seen of Hatfield, he's a BRUTE. I'll go out on a limb and say that he enjoys "leg day" at the gym.

At the risk of stating the obvious, the Devils have to win the battle in the trenches. The LBer's can't be so consumed with stopping Hatfield that they let those speedy HB's loose on the edge. That aspect of this game will be Russell's greatest challenge so far this season IMO.

It is very vanilla of a statement but very true. Both of Belfry's losses have been the direct result of getting out-executed in the trenches. The JC game...well... that's a tough one because Belfry was missing I think 6 Starters and 5 Starters respectively on each side of the ball..but what you can take from that game is JC flat whipped a mostly healthy Belfry OLine. Pikeville beat Belfry up front from a shear effort and schematic standpoint. It most certainly can be done.

Korzep is going to be huge to Russell's success both ways. I am not sure Belfry has seen a LB all season who plays as disruptive as him.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:#5 Hatfield- FB..already discussed. Hatfield's issue is top end speed. Surprisingly light footed for initial quickness and change of direction but a speedster he is not.
#3 Willis- Protoype HB. Decent size, good speed, very good cutting
#4 Taylor- Probably starting QB. The resident Bourbon fan in here will know him as the guy who changed how Bourbon defended Belfry last year with his play at SE. EXCELLENT speed, shifty, and great lateral quickness
#10 Catron- Undersized but a bulldog. Belfry's best blocking HB...runs angry.
#6 Corbett- Was starting at QB until injury. Electric player..big arm.. Not super physical but scary quickness. If he plays at QB Taylor could be HB or SE.
#1 Fletcher- Spell FB. Hard runner... a bit undersized at FB

Sounds like a well rounded bunch. Might be a good game. Russell's biggest problem is a scrambling QB. They just give the Russell defense fits.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Answer the question... having kids attend Belfry Area Schools from an early age legally is a much different topic.. we are solely discussing transfer students at the HS level.

Also I didn't get to say it but I wish Pope the very best with his injury recovery. People have taken some shots but I thought he was a great player and lauded him for two years..still think he was the 3rd best QB Belfry saw last year (and injury certainly played into that). I truly wish him the best.
Good programs draw talent from around there's no secret to that. Belfry, lex cath, Boyle , bourbon, etc. whether it be 8th grade or 9th grade. 8th grade no big deals, 9th grade or later, one has to deal with khsaa. Belfry along with others don't want what happened to Fairview, rose hill, cordia

Yea Pope was tremendous last year before the injury, should have seen him
Jeepman Wrote:Sounds like a well rounded bunch. Might be a good game. Russell's biggest problem is a scrambling QB. They just give the Russell defense fits.

Taylor and Corbett either one are top notch runners. Corbett is the better passer and runs the option pitch better but Taylor reads the FB belly better and is nitro glycerine with the ball in his hands outside.

Going to be interesting to see how Haywood sets the lineup this week. Having Corbett maximizes your weapons the field as you can use Taylor at both HB and SE... but with the way Belfry looked last week on offense with Taylor at QB it will be a hard call to make.

Outside of Johnson Central I think Russell has the best opportunity of anyone Belfry has played to match up physically up front.

The other Pirate to watch is the Sophomore DT Ray Horton.
http://www.hudl.com/athlete/3068042/high.../167850376

I often don't speak in absolutes...but Horton is the most advanced Sophomore D-Lineman I have ever witnessed at Belfry and is an absolute manchild. If he continues to show the work ethic he has displayed so far he may be one of the best Defensive Players to come out of EKY. Definitely worth a watch if you appreciate those big nasties in the trenches which I am sure most Russell fans do.

How Russell handles the tandem of Horton and Bentley up front will be vital to their success.
Belfry is the top team in rushing in the state in 3-A. They are also 3rd in the state in rushing at all levels and are within 100 yards of being the state leader. That will not help Russell with so many different players able to carry the ball effectively.
Jeepman Wrote:Belfry is the top team in rushing in the state in 3-A. They are also 3rd in the state in rushing at all levels and are within 100 yards of being the state leader. That will not help Russell with so many different players able to carry the ball effectively.

Belfry will send their stats in a little later this week.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:It is very vanilla of a statement but very true. Both of Belfry's losses have been the direct result of getting out-executed in the trenches. The JC game...well... that's a tough one because Belfry was missing I think 6 Starters and 5 Starters respectively on each side of the ball..but what you can take from that game is JC flat whipped a mostly healthy Belfry OLine. Pikeville beat Belfry up front from a shear effort and schematic standpoint. It most certainly can be done.

Korzep is going to be huge to Russell's success both ways. I am not sure Belfry has seen a LB all season who plays as disruptive as him.
Korzep is playing like a young man who truly "gets it". He's a senior who has a chance to go out with a BANG after a couple of disappointing seasons. His last two games are arguably the two best defensive performances from a Devil in years.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Taylor and Corbett either one are top notch runners. Corbett is the better passer and runs the option pitch better but Taylor reads the FB belly better and is nitro glycerine with the ball in his hands outside.

Going to be interesting to see how Haywood sets the lineup this week. Having Corbett maximizes your weapons the field as you can use Taylor at both HB and SE... but with the way Belfry looked last week on offense with Taylor at QB it will be a hard call to make.

Outside of Johnson Central I think Russell has the best opportunity of anyone Belfry has played to match up physically up front.

The other Pirate to watch is the Sophomore DT Ray Horton.
http://www.hudl.com/athlete/3068042/high.../167850376

I often don't speak in absolutes...but Horton is the most advanced Sophomore D-Lineman I have ever witnessed at Belfry and is an absolute manchild. If he continues to show the work ethic he has displayed so far he may be one of the best Defensive Players to come out of EKY. Definitely worth a watch if you appreciate those big nasties in the trenches which I am sure most Russell fans do.

How Russell handles the tandem of Horton and Bentley up front will be vital to their success.

It will be interesting to see what Haywood does. I think he stays with Taylor at QB. The offense seems to be in a good rhythm and I'm not sure they mess with it. Taylor is reading better than he did earlier in the year and he is always a step away from a TD.
bucslover68 Wrote:It will be interesting to see what Haywood does. I think he stays with Taylor at QB. The offense seems to be in a good rhythm and I'm not sure they mess with it. Taylor is reading better than he did earlier in the year and he is always a step away from a TD.
How good are Belfry's QB's and backs at hiding the ball? That deception alone can cause a defense headaches.
samson81 Wrote:How good are Belfry's QB's and backs at hiding the ball? That deception alone can cause a defense headaches.

You cant play QB at Belfry is you cant hide the football.

Neither are at Sani Warren's level...who was magician hiding the ball...but both are very good. Taylor I would say is the better of the two.
  •  Previous
  • 7(current)
  • Next