•  Previous
  • 11(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trayvon Martin Death
TheRealVille Wrote:I quoted from the conservative mothership so some couldn't claim media bias from liberal media. If he is lying to the judge about his finances, who's to say he isn't lying about other facts.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/06/02/zim...644204143/

I believe Shakespeare said it best: "Much ado about nothing". It has nothing to do with the facts of the event that brought Martin and Zimmerman to the attention of the media. Who's to say Zimmerman is lying about the facts of the event? This present matter has nothing to do with the pending litigation. And, to be honest, who's to say, from the relevant facts, that Martin was less a model citizen and more a menace to society who, most likely, had a long "career" ahead of him?
Zimmerman is guilty of manslaughter, not murder. Who agrees and disagrees with this statement?

I really hope not many of you disagree, because it's obvious that this is manslaughter and not murder, and a fact that he took a life.
vundy33 Wrote:Zimmerman is guilty of manslaughter, not murder. Who agrees and disagrees with this statement?

I really hope not many of you disagree, because it's obvious that this is manslaughter and not murder, and a fact that he took a life.
I agree 100%. And, to go one step further, I don't think he should get the full manslaughter sentence of 7-15 years. I'm thinking quite a bit less than the lower end of that scale.
I agree. The length and severity of the charge is what the trial is for, and I'm hoping that after all the evidence comes out that he gets what he deserves, and it's fair. But I highly doubt that's what will happen, but I definitely hope so.

I just hate that, by all accounts, two good people's lives, one taken from him and one ruined by a horrible mistake...all because of a stupid misunderstanding.
vundy33 Wrote:Zimmerman is guilty of manslaughter, not murder. Who agrees and disagrees with this statement?

I disagree. Why have people not learned their lesson of thinking that they know enough facts in this case to know that Zimmerman is guilty or innocent of any crime? Based on what I think I know, I expect that Zimmerman may get convicted of manslaughter, but reasonable doubt is a pretty high bar to clear. Whether he is guilty of manslaughter will depend on how the laws are worded that define a person's right to defend themselves.

I think that there is a much better chance that the Zimmerman family will file and win a civil lawsuit than it is that Zimmerman will be convicted of murder or manslaughter (and not have the conviction overturned on appeal).

It will be interesting to see if the state files any kind of charge against Zimmerman for lying about his financial status during the bail hearing. For a person about to be tried for murder, that was an extremely stupid thing to do.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:I disagree. Why have people not learned their lesson of thinking that they know enough facts in this case to know that Zimmerman is guilty or innocent of any crime? Based on what I think I know, I expect that Zimmerman may get convicted of manslaughter, but reasonable doubt is a pretty high bar to clear. Whether he is guilty of manslaughter will depend on how the laws are worded that define a person's right to defend themselves.

I think that there is a much better chance that the Zimmerman family will file and win a civil lawsuit than it is that Zimmerman will be convicted of murder or manslaughter (and not have the conviction overturned on appeal).

It will be interesting to see if the state files any kind of charge against Zimmerman for lying about his financial status during the bail hearing. For a person about to be tried for murder, that was an extremely stupid thing to do.

Hoot, you're acting like there's some secret clues that are going to come out in this case, you act like its so complicated when it's really not.

The fact is, most of you can't separate this from your politics, and that is pathetic.
vundy33 Wrote:Hoot, you're acting like there's some secret clues that are going to come out in this case, you act like its so complicated when it's really not.

The fact is, most of you can't separate this from your politics, and that is pathetic.
What's pathetic is your failure to understand basic legal principles. The gashes on Zimmerman's head, his broken nose, black eyes, and eyewitnesses claiming that they saw Martin slamming his head against the pavement give him a credible basis for claiming self defense. It is the government's obligation to prove its case beyond reasonable doubt in a criminal case. Are you aware of evidence that would establish beyond a reasonable doubt that Zimmerman attacked Martin?

It doesn't matter that you rushed to judgment and assumed that this was a case of a white racist stalking and executing a young black teenager, which was the story told by early media accounts. It has already been shown that the assumptions that you and RV made in this case and your tirades against those who disagreed with your conclusion were ill founded.

As for your accusations that I am not capable of separating politics from facts, I think that you are projecting your own issues onto me. I am not saying that Zimmerman will not be convicted because none of us know all of the facts that a jury will be presented. Nor are any of us experts on the Florida laws against which jurors will be instructed to weigh the evidence.

I am sorry that it upsets you so much that some of us are not ready to lynch a man based on an incomplete set of facts obtained from a media that has egg all over their face where this case is concerned, but that is just the way that it has got to be.

Our system is designed to protect the innocent even if it means that guilty men go free and that may be the end result in this case. It's not a perfect system but it sure beats lynch mob mentality.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:What's pathetic is your failure to understand basic legal principles. The gashes on Zimmerman's head, his broken nose, black eyes, and eyewitnesses claiming that they saw Martin slamming his head against the pavement give him a credible basis for claiming self defense. It is the government's obligation to prove its case beyond reasonable doubt in a criminal case. Are you aware of evidence that would establish beyond a reasonable doubt that Zimmerman attacked Martin?

It doesn't matter that you rushed to judgment and assumed that this was a case of a white racist stalking and executing a young black teenager, which was the story told by early media accounts. It has already been shown that the assumptions that you and RV made in this case and your tirades against those who disagreed with your conclusion were ill founded.

As for your accusations that I am not capable of separating politics from facts, I think that you are projecting your own issues onto me. I am not saying that Zimmerman will not be convicted because none of us know all of the facts that a jury will be presented. Nor are any of us experts on the Florida laws against which jurors will be instructed to weigh the evidence.

I am sorry that it upsets you so much that some of us are not ready to lynch a man based on an incomplete set of facts obtained from a media that has egg all over their face where this case is concerned, but that is just the way that it has got to be.

Our system is designed to protect the innocent even if it means that guilty men go free and that may be the end result in this case. It's not a perfect system but it sure beats lynch mob mentality.
The key fact that you forget is that Zimmerman stalked Martin, after police told him not to. That is the biggest fact in the case, seeing that Zimmerman isn't a policeman with a right to follow someone.
TheRealVille Wrote:The key fact that you forget is that Zimmerman stalked Martin, after police told him not to. That is the biggest fact in the case, seeing that Zimmerman isn't a policeman with a right to follow someone.
What law did Zimmerman break in following and observing Martin? We do not live in a police state where a 911 dispatcher's suggestion carries the force of law.

However, the fact that the dispatcher told Zimmerman that "you don't need to do that" may play a pivotal role if the Martin family sues Zimmerman in civil court. I will not be surprised if Zimmerman is acquitted in the criminal trial and then loses everything he owns in a civil trial. Finding one person responsible for another's death by the "preponderance of evidence," is much different than establishing them guilty of a crime beyond a "reasonable doubt."
Hoot Gibson Wrote:What law did Zimmerman break in following and observing Martin? We do not live in a police state where a 911 dispatcher's suggestion carries the force of law.

However, the fact that the dispatcher told Zimmerman that "you don't need to do that" may play a pivotal role if the Martin family sues Zimmerman in civil court. I will not be surprised if Zimmerman is acquitted in the criminal trial and then loses everything he owns in a civil trial. Finding one person responsible for another's death by the "preponderance of evidence," is much different than establishing them guilty of a crime beyond a "reasonable doubt."
Listen to the tape. The 911 dispatcher was the Sanford police.
Hoot, you need to check yourself. You know good and well I didn't assume shit, and that whole racist thing doesn't fly with me. My opinion is based off of a damn 911 operator advising him to not "investigate", and the fact that he was even carrying a gun. Neighborhood Watch doesn't do that. They don't call 911 dozens of times for dumb stuff, they're not wanna be cops and mall ninjas like this guy. It doesn't matter if the 911 operator's words carry merit or not, what matters is that he was advised by an employee of an emergency service, who obviously is experienced with these kind of situations as a 911 operator, multiple times, yet he decided against it, followed the kid, probably got his ass beat for following a stranger on a street after dark, and shot him like a coward.

And what's with the lynching comment? Seriously? You really think those little comments you use to piss off the liberals here will have the same effect on me? Come on man...you know better.

If I were in charge of his punishment, he would receive one severe ass kicking for being a mall ninja and carrying a gun around in the first place while looking for trouble, because that's all that will find you...and for his cowardice before and since, and finally, for ignoring what he was told by someone who is authorized to give life-saving advice and who obviously knows what the hell they're talking about and seeking out a confrontation when he not anyone else were threatened by Martin. Then I'd give him 7-10 years for Manslaughter. This, of course, is what I'd do with what we know about the case right now, before the wealth of secret clues come out during the trial. And my forms of punishment is obviously why I'm not a judge.

Now, if during the trial, it comes out that Martin sought out Zimmerman, beat that ass, and tried to choke him to death, then my mind will change. But it's obvious that that didn't happen. And I don't anticipate much information to come out in trial that we don't already know.

I just don't see how you can give the fact that he got his ass beat credit, without giving the fact that he sought out trouble where their was none, and caused this all to happen?

If I were for lynching him, and if I've done nothing but assume like you say, then I wouldnt be advocating for a Manslaughter charge instead of murder, or talked as good as I have about Zimmerman and his good character, for the most part, either. Earlier in the thread, I didnt get mad because you all didn't agree with me. I got mad because of how you all pretty much disregard the loss of a kid's life, and how you criticize the dumbasses who assume the worst and call Zimmerman a racist, that he should die, ect, when you did the exact same thing when you assumed that Martin was some hoodrat and said the things about a dead kid that have been said on here...and finally, that most everyone on the thread have played politics on the case, and can't see through their hatred for the other party even when it comes to making us better, or the loss of a kid's life and the ruining of another one. That's why I got pissed.
TheRealVille Wrote:Listen to the tape. The 911 dispatcher was the Sanford police.
Why does who employed the dispatcher matter? What law did Zimmerman break in following Martin? What makes you think that Zimmerman took what the dispatcher said as an order anyway? It certainly was not phrased as such. I don't see where what the dispatcher said would matter in a criminal trial.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:Why does who employed the dispatcher matter? What law did Zimmerman break in following Martin? What makes you think that Zimmerman took what the dispatcher said as an order anyway? It certainly was not phrased as such. I don't see where what the dispatcher said would matter in a criminal trial.

It doesn't matter that he didn't technically break the law man! He called 911, the number we're all supposed to call if we feel we're in some type of danger or to report a crime, ect. He was advised to not confront Martin, because he wasn't under any threat of harm, and neither was anyone else. Of course that wasn't an order. But the fact that he called 911, was advised that police were en route, ignored it and followed Martin with a firearm. This, at the very least, shows intent to start trouble or take things into his own hands...and this is where Mabslaughter instead of murder comes in.

Like you said, he didn't break a law by ignoring the 911 operator...but it does show intent to start shit. That's why, in my opinion, he's guilty of Manslaughter and should serve a few years because of it.
vundy33 Wrote:Hoot, you need to check yourself. You know good and well I didn't assume shit, and that whole racist thing doesn't fly with me. My opinion is based off of a damn 911 operator advising him to not "investigate", and the fact that he was even carrying a gun. Neighborhood Watch doesn't do that. They don't call 911 dozens of times for dumb stuff, they're not wanna be cops and mall ninjas like this guy. It doesn't matter if the 911 operator's words carry merit or not, what matters is that he was advised by an employee of an emergency service, who obviously is experienced with these kind of situations as a 911 operator, multiple times, yet he decided against it, followed the kid, probably got his ass beat for following a stranger on a street after dark, and shot him like a coward.

And what's with the lynching comment? Seriously? You really think those little comments you use to piss off the liberals here will have the same effect on me? Come on man...you know better.

If I were in charge of his punishment, he would receive one severe ass kicking for being a mall ninja and carrying a gun around in the first place while looking for trouble, because that's all that will find you...and for his cowardice before and since, and finally, for ignoring what he was told by someone who is authorized to give life-saving advice and who obviously knows what the hell they're talking about and seeking out a confrontation when he not anyone else were threatened by Martin.

I just don't see how you can give the fact that he got his ass beat credit, without giving the fact that he sought out trouble where their was none, and caused this all to happen?
Your comment about my being unable to separate politics from the facts of this case being "pathetic" was unwarranted and dictated the tone of my response. If you want a respectful response to a post, then all you need to do is show me the same courtesy. If you take time to read the Dershowitz article that I posted earlier, then you will see that there are people on both ends of the political spectrum who believe that Zimmerman has not gotten a fair shake so far in this case.

As for Zimmerman getting his "ass beat," I don't understand why you think the fact that Martin beat up Zimmerman hurts Zimmerman's case - it doesn't - it makes his case for self defense much stronger. If Zimmerman had no, or only slight, injuries and if he had shot Martin from a greater distance, the state would have a much stronger case.

As it is, the state must prove beyond a reasonable doubt that Zimmerman attacked a much larger, younger, and more athletic man and for some reason took a bloody beating before shooting Martin. I think that will be a tough sale.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:Your comment about my being unable to separate politics from the facts of this case being "pathetic" was unwarranted and dictated the tone of my response. If you want a respectful response to a post, then all you need to do is show me the same courtesy. If you take time to read the Dershowitz article that I posted earlier, then you will see that there are people on both ends of the political spectrum who believe that Zimmerman has not gotten a fair shake so far in this case.

As for Zimmerman getting his "ass beat," I don't understand why you think the fact that Martin beat up Zimmerman hurts Zimmerman's case - it doesn't - it makes his case for self defense much stronger. If Zimmerman had no, or only slight, injuries and if he had shot Martin from a greater distance, the state would have a much stronger case.

As it is, the state must prove beyond a reasonable doubt that Zimmerman attacked a much larger, younger, and more athletic man and for some reason took a bloody beating before shooting Martin. I think that will be a tough sale.
Since when is 100 pounds lighter, "much larger"?
vundy33 Wrote:It doesn't matter that he didn't technically break the law man! He called 911, the number we're all supposed to call if we feel we're in some type of danger or to report a crime, ect. He was advised to not confront Martin, because he wasn't under any threat of harm, and neither was anyone else. Of course that wasn't an order. But the fact that he called 911, was advised that police were en route, ignored it and followed Martin with a firearm. This, at the very least, shows intent to start trouble or take things into his own hands...and this is where Mabslaughter instead of murder comes in.

Like you said, he didn't break a law by ignoring the 911 operator...but it does show intent to start shit. That's why, in my opinion, he's guilty of Manslaughter and should serve a few years because of it.
Yes, it does matter whether Zimmerman simply exercised bad judgment when he followed Zimmerman or technically broke the law! It is not unlawful to suffer a lapse in judgment.

No, Zimmerman following Martin does not demonstrate intent on his part to start trouble or to take matters into his own hands. That will be the argument that the government will make during Zimmerman's trial but it is not hard to imagine that the defense will have an equally plausible explanation for Zimmerman's behavior. The 12 jurors do not have to be convinced that Zimmerman (or his lawyer) is telling the truth - they only need to find reasonable doubt with the prosecution's version of events is correct to vote for acquittal.

Zimmerman is fortunate that he has plenty of money to pay for an effective defense, because the state will be spending a fortunate trying to convict him. The government wins many cases and extracts guilty pleas from defendants who cannot afford competent lawyers - especially when the feds get involved. Most people charged with serious crimes in this country cannot afford to pay hundreds of dollars an hour for a good lawyer. Ironically, by generating so much publicity about this case, the Rev. Al may have actually improved Zimmerman's chances of being found not guilty.
TheRealVille Wrote:Since when is 100 pounds lighter, "much larger"?
More disinformation, RV? Will you never learn? Anybody who has seen the videos of both men know that Zimmerman does not weight 100 pounds more than Martin. Are you sure that you do not want to correct the record or at least admit that none of us really know? Take a good look at Martin before you decide. Martin does not look like a little fellow to me. You know that when the actual weights and heights of Martin and Zimmerman become available during the trial, I will not forget that you stated that their weight difference was 100 pounds as a matter of fact. :biggrin:

Martin may have outweighed Zimmerman by a few pounds but I don't think many people would argue that Martin was not the larger man.

Hoot Gibson Wrote:More disinformation, RV? Will you never learn? Anybody who has seen the videos of both men know that Zimmerman does not weight 100 pounds more than Martin. Are you sure that you do not want to correct the record or at least admit that none of us really know? Take a good look at Martin before you decide. Martin does not look like a little fellow to me. You know that when the actual weights and heights of Martin and Zimmerman become available during the trial, I will not forget that you stated that their weight difference was 100 pounds as a matter of fact. :biggrin:

Martin may have outweighed Zimmerman by a few pounds but I don't think many people would argue that Martin was not the larger man.

It was reported that Zimmerman outweighed Martin by 100 pounds. I'll stand by that until it's proven wrong.
TheRealVille Wrote:It was reported that Zimmerman outweighed Martin by 100 pounds. I'll stand by that until it's proven wrong.
It was also reported that Martin weighed 140 pounds and later it was reported that he weighed 160 pounds. It was reported that Zimmerman weighed 250 pounds years ago but then it was reported by a friend that he weighed only 170 lb. at the time of the shooting.

The fact that you can look at the recent videos and photos of Zimmerman and Martin and still claim that Martin outweighed Zimmerman by 100 lb. because "it was reported" is pretty amazing. Confusednicker:
I've seen pics of both. I don't believe that they were closer than 30 pounds in weight.

He killed someone. He followed, then made contact with an unarmed person, while being armed himself, got in over his head while trying to play cop, and fatally shot someone. I feel that the prosecution will make a good enough case and that the jury will be smart enough to rule that he's guilty of manslaughter.
vundy33 Wrote:I've seen pics of both. I don't believe that they were closer than 30 pounds in weight.

He killed someone. He followed, then made contact with an unarmed person, while being armed himself, got in over his head while trying to play cop, and fatally shot someone. I feel that the prosecution will make a good enough case and that the jury will be smart enough to rule that he's guilty of manslaughter.

Trayvon didn't have the right to commit assault and battery either. Asking somebody what they are doing, or where they're going, in a neighborhood considered to be a hotbed of burglaries and other mischief hardly warrants getting one's brains bashed out against the sidewalk IMO. After all the brouhaha about this case complete with unfulfilled, though confidently proffered predictions, and unsupported conjectures, you guys still haven't learned. You don't know what happened. They will decide that in a court of law. By all reports I thought John Edwards was toast too, but, we saw what happened in his trial too.

If Zimmerman is a mall ninja, (seems likely) it is also likely that he would have been backing up when when it became obvious Trayvon was going to start throwing fists. Trayvon bears some of the responsibility here too. Maybe he was a hot head with a short fuse and actually did start the fight. I've also heard that Trayvon noticed Zimmerman following him and he then approached Zimmerman who was trying to make as graceful an exit as possible and Trayvon wouldn't let it go. Maybe Zimmerman asked him a question and that PO'd Trayvon. Either way, if Zimmerman had blacked eyes, a broken nose, and was getting his head bashed on the sidewalk. That meets self defense in my book. Martin may have been a bad dude with a chip on his shoulder. Maybe he was taking a walk to the store to blow off steam because of an argument with his girlfriend or his Dad. Hopefully the truth will come out. And, as stated before, the Sheriff's department investigated this thing already. It would take incontrivertible evidence for them to change their mind on this matter.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

whoa not so fast. With out all the facts laid out (that's what a trial is for) you can not make a guilt or not guilty call. At the point when Mr. Zimmerman pull the trigger did he feel his life was in danger? What about the events leading up to those actions? Is there areas of blame for both? At this point I can not make a definite guilt or innocent.
TheRealVille Wrote:It was reported that Zimmerman outweighed Martin by 100 pounds. I'll stand by that until it's proven wrong.

Who reported it? Was it the same mediaites who continue to show a picture of Martin that is six or seven years old? How did each of these individuals look at the time of the altercation? A little more truth and a little less manipulation would be helpful but we won't get it from the media, will we?

Like OJ Simpson, Zimmerman is presumed innocent until proven beyond a reasonable doubt to be guilty of the crime for which he is tried. Zimmerman has no duty to prove his innocence. The prosecution must prove his guilt to all twelve jurors.

Unlike Simpson, Zimmerman will not have a loaded jury. The overwhelming thrust of the media is that Zimmerman must be found guilty regardless of what happened. Unless there is at least one brave and independent juror willing to go against the unbearable pressure of the moment, Zimmerman, regardless of the evidence, will be found guilty.

Whether he is, in fact, guilty or not is not the issue. The issue is that, in this politically correct society, he must be found guilty. To find otherwise would result in insurrection and rioting in the streets and intervention by the Muskrat and the DOJ.

Would all of this be progressing as it is if Martin were caucasian? Only a fool would believe that.

That is sadly the truth and an occasional statement of truth is enlightening in this screwed up politically correct world. I believe Wells called it "government speak".
Truth Wrote:Who reported it? Was it the same mediaites who continue to show a picture of Martin that is six or seven years old? How did each of these individuals look at the time of the altercation? A little more truth and a little less manipulation would be helpful but we won't get it from the media, will we?

Like OJ Simpson, Zimmerman is presumed innocent until proven beyond a reasonable doubt to be guilty of the crime for which he is tried. Zimmerman has no duty to prove his innocence. The prosecution must prove his guilt to all twelve jurors.

Unlike Simpson, Zimmerman will not have a loaded jury. The overwhelming thrust of the media is that Zimmerman must be found guilty regardless of what happened. Unless there is at least one brave and independent juror willing to go against the unbearable pressure of the moment, Zimmerman, regardless of the evidence, will be found guilty.

Whether he is, in fact, guilty or not is not the issue. The issue is that, in this politically correct society, he must be found guilty. To find otherwise would result in insurrection and rioting in the streets and intervention by the Muskrat and the DOJ.

Would all of this be progressing as it is if Martin were caucasian? Only a fool would believe that.

That is sadly the truth and an occasional statement of truth is enlightening in this screwed up politically correct world. I believe Wells called it "government speak".

It is truly chilling to consider the parallels that exist between the Well's vision of the futuristic oligarchy that ruled the world in his novel, and the reality of what we see happening in government circles of today. 'Government speak', and the 'ministry of truth' come to mind. Today's truth is always tailored to the notions of the left's subjective slant, and therefore, every bit as subjective as the Orwellian truth. And that due primarily to the fact that we have the ultra left zealot of all time, sitting the captain's chair of the White House, while mad hatter Harry Reid and his cronies still have the majority in the US Senate.

The coming election this fall is for all the marbles. If Obama gets reelected he will finish the job of giving up our national sovereignty, causing America to take it's place voluntarily among the global also-rans. What Russia, Japan, Germany, Italy and the arab world could never accomplish by force is happening right under our own noses with the weak-willed policies of the present administration. All the blood spilled on foreign shores to keep us free so that these guys can come in and just give it all away? Strange days indeed. This administration is pacification on steroids. The same kind of lunacy was being preached by the progressives of the WWII era. Speak softly, carry a carrot, and be willing to compromise this country into oblivion, has replaced the ideology that kept us free during the war years when Roosevelt said, "speak softly and carry a big stick".

This fall is the fork in the road. We choose as a nation this fall between a voluntary march on toward our own ultimate destruction, by granting the present administration the autonomy to pursue the prize of BHO's stated goal, which is a 'fundamental transformation' of the USA, or, a return to sanity, by once again espousing the conservative values of our fathers.

We are a nation of laws. We can't have courts bowing down to public opinion, especially when public opinion is manipulated by a media which has clearly been disgraced by their own reporting practices in this very case.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
It seems like ever since the Rev. Al and company rushed to judgment in this case, all of the evidence that has trickled out has supported Zimmerman's version of events. It's becoming pretty clear now why no charges were pressed until Obama, his crooked Attorney General, and the national media ratcheted up the political pressure. At least prosecutors have strong case against Zimmerman for lying about his Pay Pal account balance.

[INDENT]
Quote:[COLOR="Blue"]George Zimmerman Passed Police Lie Detector Test Day After Trayvon Martin Killing
[/COLOR]

A day after killing Trayvon Martin, George Zimmerman passed a police lie detector test when asked if he confronted the teenager and whether he feared for his life “when you shot the guy,” according to documents released today by Florida prosecutors.

According to a “confidential report” prepared by the Sanford Police Department, Zimmerman, 28, willingly submitted to a computer voice stress analyzer (CVSA) “truth verification” on February 27. Investigators concluded that he “has told substantially the complete truth in regards to this examination.”

Zimmerman, the report noted, “was classified as No Deception Indicated (NDI).”
[/INDENT]
Quote:A cousin of George Zimmerman claims he sexually abused her as a child over a 10-year period, according to taped interviews released Monday by prosecutors. Zimmerman's defense team tried, but failed, to stop the recordings' release.

The alleged assaults began when the woman was 6 years old and Zimmerman was 8; they allegedly continued until she was 16, USA Today reports. Zimmerman is currently 28 years old.

But even if the woman's allegations are true, could Zimmerman face criminal charges for incidents that happened at least a decade ago?

It depends on the nature of the alleged abuse, and where they took place.

The cousin claims George Zimmerman sexually abused her numerous times when she and her sister spent the night with Zimmerman's family in Virginia, according to the Orlando Sentinel. At least one incident took place in Florida.

The location is important because each state has different laws about prosecuting child sexual abuse cases. Virginia, for example, has no time limit for prosecutors to charge someone with child sexual abuse, according to Virginia Statehouse News.

But the last of the alleged abuse happened in Florida, when the cousin was 16 and Zimmerman was around 18. In Florida, such an assault can be a first- or second-degree felony, depending on the amount of violence involved. Prosecutions must take place within four or three years, respectively, of a child victim turning 18. For the Florida incident at least, the woman's claim is likely too late to prosecute.

Time limits for prosecutions in other states can be found in FindLaw's collection of State Criminal Statute of Limitations Laws.

It's not yet clear how prosecutors intend to use the George Zimmerman sexual abuse allegations in their murder case against him, if at all. At this early point, there is also no indication whether Zimmerman will face any sex abuse charges anywhere. Prosecutors released the taped interview Monday along with other recordings, including 145 phone calls by Zimmerman in jail, USA Today reports.

[Editor's Note: 7/16/12 2:45 pm PST: This post was updated to reflect that the Witness #9 is Zimmerman's cousin, a fact later confirmed by Zimmerman's defense team.]
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/07/1...1920120717

Quote:As we continue to sift through the trove of new evidence released today by the Florida State's Attorney Office, we came across the much-debated statements that George Zimmerman and his family were unabashedly racist while he was growing up.
The statements, made by a woman referred to only as Witness 9, paint the picture of a man raised in a racist family who disliked minorities unless they fit a certain mold.
"Because growing up, they've always made, him and his family have always made statements that they don't like black people if they don't act like white people," Witness 9 told investigators Jim Post and Jim Rick during a March interview.
"They talk a lot of, a lot of bad things about black people," she added.
Witness 9 said she came forward because she was afraid Zimmerman may have attacked 17-year-old Trayvon Martin "because the kid was black."
Zimmerman is currently facing second-degree murder charges stemming from the February shooting death of Martin. Zimmerman claimed he was acting in self-defense when he shot the black teenager.
While Witness 9 told investigators she couldn't remember Zimmerman specifically making racist statements, she did recall having such a conversation with his mother.
At one point — the interview isn't clear on timing — Zimmerman's mother said she didn't like President Barack Obama, the witness said.
"I said 'why not?' you know just thinking she was joking," Witness 9 told investigators. "And she said, 'Because he is black. I am a racist.' Just loud and proud."
Witness 9's exact relationship with Zimmerman hasn't been disclosed but from the interviews it appears she was either a family member or a close family friend.
Zimmerman's legal team filed a motion Monday morning to stop the judge from releasing Witness 9's interviews. His attorneys have not yet released any other statements, and they did not immediately respond to a request for comment on Monday.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/george-zi...z20qGQ8Mpm
While some people who were absolutely certain (but totally wrong) that George Zimmerman was a racist who stalked Trayvon Martin and killed him because of his skin color, fair minded people were waiting on more facts to emerge. The FBI now says that those of you who labeled Martin a racist were wrong. I can't say that I am surprised...

[INDENT]
Quote:[COLOR="Blue"]No evidence Trayvon Martin's killer is racist: FBI interviews

(Reuters) - FBI interviews with dozens of friends, coworkers and neighbors of George Zimmerman found no evidence that the accused murderer of Florida teenager Trayvon Martin was a racist, according to new documents released on Thursday.
The reports from the FBI were among a new collection of evidence, including crime scene photos, bank surveillance videos and other documents, that were released by Florida's state attorney's office in the racially charged case.

Zimmerman, a 28-year-old who is white and Hispanic, is charged with second-degree murder in the February 26 shooting death of Martin, a 17-year-old black teen.

A neighborhood watch volunteer, Zimmerman claims he killed Martin in self defense after the unarmed youth attacked him and slammed his head into the sidewalk during a confrontation in a gated community in the central Florida city of Sanford.

He is currently living in an undisclosed safe house after being released on $1 million bail last week.

FBI agents investigating whether race was a factor in the shooting spoke with Sanford police officers, Zimmerman's bosses and colleagues, friends, neighbors and others to determine if he had ever shown any racial prejudice.

In one interview detailed in the evidence, Sanford Police Detective Christopher Serino, the lead investigator in the Martin case, told the FBI he did not believe Zimmerman's shooting of Martin was motivated by race.

"Serino believed that Zimmerman's actions were not based on Martin's skin color (but) rather based on his attire," according to a report.

Serino told investigators that members of local gangs, who called themselves "Goons," frequently wore "hoodies," or hooded sweatshirts, and he believed Zimmerman "took it upon himself to view Martin as acting suspicious."
[/COLOR]
[/INDENT]
Hoot Gibson Wrote:While some people who were absolutely certain (but totally wrong) that George Zimmerman was a racist who stalked Trayvon Martin and killed him because of his skin color, fair minded people were waiting on more facts to emerge. The FBI now says that those of you who labeled Martin a racist were wrong. I can't say that I am surprised...

[INDENT][/INDENT]

So, we've got witnesses and bank surveillance video? Zimmierman pleading for help (heard by eye witnesses and recorded on cell phones?) while sustaining black eyes, cuts on the back of his head that needed stitches, and a broken nose. And of course all this was duly investigated by the sheriff and the FBI. Kind of shoots the notion he walked up and executed him. Of course if they would have just called up here to Kentucky, a couple of guys we know could have told them the whole story, LOL
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Hoot Gibson Wrote:While some people who were absolutely certain (but totally wrong) that George Zimmerman was a racist who stalked Trayvon Martin and killed him because of his skin color, fair minded people were waiting on more facts to emerge. The FBI now says that those of you who labeled Martin a racist were wrong. I can't say that I am surprised...

[INDENT][/INDENT]
His cousin says he is, and a molester on top of that.
TheRealThing Wrote:So, we've got witnesses and bank surveillance video? Zimmierman pleading for help (heard by eye witnesses and recorded on cell phones?) while sustaining black eyes, cuts on the back of his head that needed stitches, and a broken nose. And of course all this was duly investigated by the sheriff and the FBI. Kind of shoots the notion he walked up and executed him. Of course if they would have just called up here to Kentucky, a couple of guys we know could have told them the whole story, LOL
Nope. The expert called in to listen to the voices said it wasn't Zimmerman pleading for help. The article is on record in this thread somewhere.

One police member resigned after a botched investigation. I find it odd that you take up for a child molester. Do you only care about babies before they are born?
  •  Previous
  • 11(current)
  • Next