Coaching job rumors
Pike Central -Hobo M
Shelby valley-R Rowe
Betsy Layne -Derrick Newsome
Prestonsburg- Craig Ratliff
Phelps - Randy Mccoy
Randy McCoy to Phelps? Hmmm...
🤣🤣🤣🤣
I highly doubt, Randy would move back from Florida after just moving down there.
Funny
Rumor,Derrick Newsome coaching Betsy Layne some players could be leaving.
Everyone has known this for 2 years now, Junior Newsome is moving him in. No one that matters wants it to happen. BL finally gets a good team and a good coach and politics screws it up. Worse thing is, Mark my words, one of these boys will be at pikeville next year. Here we go again.
Rumor not true. Derek and Brad are good friends. When Allen Central girls came open Brad helped him get his first job. He probably wouldn’t have even got it without him. I just don’t see it happening.
4low Wrote:Rumor,Derrick Newsome coaching Betsy Layne some players could be leaving.

I’ve heard the same rumblings about Newsome getting the job but players leaving wasn’t included. What players would leave and why?
Is Betsy Layne open
I think Short will be there next year if he wants it and I don’t know why he wouldn’t. They were 17-12 last season with basically a JV team. No seniors and only 1 junior. To good of a turnaround to get rid of him now. Frasure is a beast. Just my opinion.
Eastkyboy13 Wrote:I think Short will be there next year if he wants it and I don’t know why he wouldn’t. They were 17-12 last season with basically a JV team. No seniors and only 1 junior. To good of a turnaround to get rid of him now. Frasure is a beast. Just my opinion.

Too good of a turn around? We lost the district to a Prestonsburg team that was crippled with injuries and their best player had a bad wheel and hasn’t played hardly any of the season. The end of that game alone was a debacle. This years team should have been way better than they were. But if Brad is given another year. They need to give him two because this years group of sophomores will then be seniors and it would be crazy to give seniors a new coach.
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
Ratliff at Prestonsburg would be a train wreck!
I think Short will be there next year if he wants it and I don’t know why he wouldn’t. They were 17-12 last season with basically a JV team. No seniors and only 1 junior. To good of a turnaround to get rid of him now. Frasure is an absolute beast. Just my opinion.
ducky Wrote:Ratliff at Prestonsburg would be a train wreck!

How come if you want to share? Craig is a good guy and good basketball mind.
Just heard more about BL. The people who matter don’t want a coaching change. There is a certain board member that wants Derick moved in. It’s very sad when BL gets a good team and a good coach and politics screws it up. Worse thing is, Mark my works, one of these boys will be at pikeville next year. Here we go again.
This thread is about coaching changes and that’s it. Not about where kids are going, leaving or living for goodness sake.

And for what it’s worth about Betsy Layne losing kids to Pikeville. That’s not on Pikeville that’s on us at Betsy Layne for giving them a reason to leave. I’ve said that for years. We’ve given kids away for years now and it’s going to continue to happen until we do something to fix it.
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
Spud6 Wrote:This thread is about coaching changes and that’s it. Not about where kids are going, leaving or living for goodness sake.

And for what it’s worth about Betsy Layne losing kids to Pikeville. That’s not on Pikeville that’s on us at Betsy Layne for giving them a reason to leave. I’ve said that for years. We’ve given kids away for years now and it’s going to continue to happen until we do something to fix it.

BL has kids from other schools as well. It happens everywhere and not just in the 15th. Idc where a kid goes.

I also believe Newsome would be better than Short with BL current roster. But that’s my opinion.
If a coach was in his second year with a record of 17-12 with a team that hasn’t had a winning record in years and their oldest kid was 16 would there even be a question to get rid of him if it wasn’t politics? That’s my statement. I’m not saying Newsome can or can’t coach. Im not on here to bash anybody. Just stating the truth. Things are going to go south when they shouldn’t. How has politics in Floyd county worked out with coaches in the last few years. I thought it would be different now with Webb gone but there will always be someone there to pull the strings and guess who suffers for it. I’m biased I know what coach Short has done for kids in the past and I know what he’s about. Ask kids that have played 3-4 years for him what they think and you will understand my post.
Milkcrate52 Wrote:If a coach was in his second year with a record of 17-12 with a team that hasn’t had a winning record in years and their oldest kid was 16 would there even be a question to get rid of him if it wasn’t politics? That’s my statement. I’m not saying Newsome can or can’t coach. Im not on here to bash anybody. Just stating the truth. Things are going to go south when they shouldn’t. How has politics in Floyd county worked out with coaches in the last few years. I thought it would be different now with Webb gone but there will always be someone there to pull the strings and guess who suffers for it. I’m biased I know what coach Short has done for kids in the past and I know what he’s about. Ask kids that have played 3-4 years for him what they think and you will understand my post.

I agree with you. Politics has ruined plenty of programs in the past and especially BL with the hire of the coach before B. Short. I believe if they go in a different direction then things could have been different for BL the last 5-6 years. Only reason I can think of that they would want to change it up is because they have 1-2 yrs left with the talent they have and some may think Newsome with his style
of play could get more out of them. But I do agree with you.
Milkcrate52 Wrote:If a coach was in his second year with a record of 17-12 with a team that hasn’t had a winning record in years and their oldest kid was 16 would there even be a question to get rid of him if it wasn’t politics? That’s my statement. I’m not saying Newsome can or can’t coach. Im not on here to bash anybody. Just stating the truth. Things are going to go south when they shouldn’t. How has politics in Floyd county worked out with coaches in the last few years. I thought it would be different now with Webb gone but there will always be someone there to pull the strings and guess who suffers for it. I’m biased I know what coach Short has done for kids in the past and I know what he’s about. Ask kids that have played 3-4 years for him what they think and you will understand my post.

I agree with this %100. But there’s some things this year that Short did that really made me scratch my head. Granted it’s a whole lot harder to stand on the sideline and coach then from the couch. But we should have never lost to Prestonsburg in the district tourney.

I’d they do give Short another year, he needs to be locked in for two more. It would be disservice to the great group of kids that’ll be seniors in two years.
#BBFL
I’m hearing that what the above poster said about Newsome and BL to be true. Some higher ups are pushing for that and you may see multiple kids leave BL. I personally don’t see why these kids would leave unless they aren’t tied to the BL tradition. Newsome played there and was an assistant under Junior. Will be interesting to see how it plays out.
BoyWonder14 Wrote:I’m hearing that what the above poster said about Newsome and BL to be true. Some higher ups are pushing for that and you may see multiple kids leave BL. I personally don’t see why these kids would leave unless they aren’t tied to the BL tradition. Newsome played there and was an assistant under Junior. Will be interesting to see how it plays out.

It’s a reflection of bad leadership from the top down really. Floyd county higher ups are not making good moves and it’s reflecting on their sports programs and parents are taking their kids elsewhere for a reason.
BoyWonder14 Wrote:I’m hearing that what the above poster said about Newsome and BL to be true. Some higher ups are pushing for that and you may see multiple kids leave BL. I personally don’t see why these kids would leave unless they aren’t tied to the BL tradition. Newsome played there and was an assistant under Junior. Will be interesting to see how it plays out.

What tradition???
Big Don Wrote:What tradition???

I was referring to kids that have been at BL or a feeder since the start of their school career. With the players who got the minutes last year I believe only 2-3 of those players have been at BL or Stumbo since Kindergarten. You usually find with a coaching change the kids that leave are the kids that haven’t been there since the beginning.
If you watched any games in the last 2 yrs you should pray for Derrick Newsom to come to BL. They ran no offense played no defense and didn't make it to the region letting a makeshift Prestonsburg team send them home.
Any updates on the open jobs?
Lawnmower720, if you’d like to have a discussion. PM me, this is a coaching rumor thread. Not a district game discussion thread.
You can get on here and say all the things you want and try to make people think that talk of a coaching change is about winning or losing games. If it were then we wouldn’t even be having a conversation right now. EVERYONE knows its not about winning and losing because they just made a drastic improvement. No one gets rid of a coach that has produced the best record a school has had in several years on his second year with a team this young that hasn’t won anything in the past. I don’t care if you’re a Brad Short or a Derek Newsome fan or you think Derek is a better coach. Stop trying to get people to think we are at this point with the job because it’s not politics. At least own it and then talk about how good your horse is to try to save face about it.
I know this is a coaching rumour thread and if someone wants to move these post and start a new thread that’s s fine. I agree with both posters above to an extent.

The situation at BL is driven by politics and a certain someone has a lot of pull. He usually gets what he wants when it comes to BL.

Now that’s out of the way let’s looks at BL and Short last year. Arguably their most talented team in awhile. They did win 17 games last year but only wins 8 against region opponents (teams that matter). Magoffin x1, PCC x2, FCC x2, Pburg x2, and ER x1. These kids dream of playing at Rupp but you don’t even have a chance if you can’t even get out of the district. BL had what could have been the most talented starting 5 in their district but choked against a Pburg team who didn’t have two of their three best players and a hurt G. Justice.

So BL has a few choices to make. If you keep Short you are playing for the next two years and that’s it. Next two or bust. With Newsome I believe he would be a lifer at BL. Yes you may lose a few kids on the roster now but if you change now then I believe it wouldn’t just be about the next two years but the next 20 for BL. Newsome would want to culture changed from the ground up.