Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OBI coach has left
I’m a great friend of the coach that just left. He let the administration know he was leaving. So OBI is now looking for a coach!
Any reason as to why he was leaving?
He will not speak bad of people. But this is me reading between the lines. His hands were tied on a lot of things. It was a tough situation, with regards to kids and how administration viewed the direction of the program.
Who would be in line for this job ? Who would want this job ? It takes a special kind of person to Coach at OBI. I would think the School would look at some who has Head Coaching experience, who player and Coached at Oneida. They would know the logistics of the school and what is expected of them before they took the job. I really think with the facilities they now have it could be a great job. JMO
I can tell you this, it needs to be someone in the county. Has to be able to get local kids.
Bigmouth1953 Wrote:I can tell you this, it needs to be someone in the county. Has to be able to get local kids.

I agree with that to a certain extent. I think you have to be able to get both the local kids and kids from other places some. Like when Gritton and Gay were at OBI. They had some good local kids and some really good kids from outside, May have been the best Basketball Team in Schools History.
Bigmouth1953 Wrote:I can tell you this, it needs to be someone in the county. Has to be able to get local kids.

Bigmouth, You seem to be close to the Program at OBI. Who do you think should have the job? Where do you think the Administration will look for a Coach ? What were the problem with the Coach and the Administration? Why don't OBI recruit players ?
I’m not close to the program, I just was close friends with Woods. As far as who I think needs the job, someone who can get kids from the county. I have no idea who the admin will reach out to. Problems with coach and admin I don’t know woods never said a lot, I just would pick up stuff when we talk. Obi recuiting no idea why they don’t.
Bigmouth1953 Wrote:I’m not close to the program, I just was close friends with Woods. As far as who I think needs the job, someone who can get kids from the county. I have no idea who the admin will reach out to. Problems with coach and admin I don’t know woods never said a lot, I just would pick up stuff when we talk. Obi recuiting no idea why they don’t.

Does any of the Assistant Coaches want the Job ?
Not sure
Does OBI have any young talent coming up ? I remember couple years ago they dressed 2 7th graders on Varsity. Gritton and Allen, are those 2 still playing and in school ? Hopefully they can get someone hired and get some Summer work in.
What if a certain old Clay Coach were to take the job, you may see several of the local kid's families decide their kids needs a christian education..:biglmao:
Oldtiger Wrote:What if a certain old Clay Coach were to take the job, you may see several of the local kid's families decide their kids needs a christian education..:biglmao:

I assume you are referring to Marcum. He didn't take the last 2 times it was open. Why would he take it now? If I was the one in charge at OBI I would not offer it again to him. He would have to approach me about the job. Marcum is a good coach, but I think he likes his name thrown around, like many Coaches does.
Wonder if a certain young coach down the river would be interested in it?
I heard they are bringing a old coach back from the area, that a expert in all sports. Never been a head coach in the 13th.
I would think any of the three, mentioned above would be great for OBI. Marcum would be a great hire. The Young Coach from down the river if interested would do them a good job. The Old Coach mentioned would have a lot of experience and would do a good job. ( Like Bigmouth posted) I have no ideal who is interested or better yet who the Administration at OBI wants. Just hope they find a good one. I enjoy dropping over from time to time and watching them play.
I dont understand the vagueness behind these posts. Why so afraid to come out and say names?
Don't have any inside info, but I'm assuming the "coach from down the river" is Brad Marsee of Redbird.

Past OBI coaches from the 90's forward are: Gritton, Travis, Woods, and Robinson. Unless I'm missing something, I don't know who the "old coach back from the area that is an expert in all sports" but has never coached in the 13th is. I'm going to say I'm probably more familiar with Oneida's history than most, and I'm not so sure that they had an expert in every sport just sitting around who has also happened to have never coached.

I personally think they should hire Futrell, a former assistant at the school. I wonder if someone has mistaken him for having past coaching experience and this is who they are referring to, as he fits the bill.
JokersWild24 Wrote:Don't have any inside info, but I'm assuming the "coach from down the river" is Brad Marsee of Redbird.

Past OBI coaches from the 90's forward are: Gritton, Travis, Woods, and Robinson. Unless I'm missing something, I don't know who the "old coach back from the area that is an expert in all sports" but has never coached in the 13th is. I'm going to say I'm probably more familiar with Oneida's history than most, and I'm not so sure that they had an expert in every sport just sitting around who has also happened to have never coached.

I personally think they should hire Futrell, a former assistant at the school. I wonder if someone has mistaken him for having past coaching experience and this is who they are referring to, as he fits the bill.

The old Coach who is a expert in every sport (boss Eric way of slamming coach) is Clinton Gay. Coached at OBI, Leslie County, Powell County and Pine Knot. I find it hard to believe he would be interested in any job. But knowing him, OBI would be one he may consider. JMO
I wasn't talking about Clinton Gay. Since you brought him up, would be a great hired to destroy the program. Fired,Fired,Fired, and Fired JMO

Perfect fit for OBI Steve Wright or Roscoe Denny both can to bring players in.
BossEric Wrote:I wasn't talking about Clinton Gay. Since you brought him up, would be a great hired to destroy the program. Fired,Fired,Fired, and Fired JMO

Futrell actually has very loose ties to FIBA and contacts with international scouts in Djibouti and the national team of Bosnia & Herzegovina. He'd be a great fit.
BossEric Wrote:I wasn't talking about Clinton Gay. Since you brought him up, would be a great hired to destroy the program. Fired,Fired,Fired, and Fired JMO

You got to be real stupid. Coach Gay was never Fired anywhere. What have you done???
Sorry, I get real upset when people get on here and post lies. I played for Coach Gay at Leslie and I know what kind of coach he is. Hope OBI GETS A GOOD ONE.
Good one!
JustThinking Wrote:The old Coach who is a expert in every sport (boss Eric way of slamming coach) is Clinton Gay. Coached at OBI, Leslie County, Powell County and Pine Knot. I find it hard to believe he would be interested in any job. But knowing him, OBI would be one he may consider. JMO
Hasn’t he been out of coaching for quite a while? Basketball strategies and coaching methods have changed a lot in the last decade. Clinton would have to do a crash course study. He has to be around 70.
OBI is a tough place to coach as you never know what kids you may have on campus, but I always liked the gym and pull for the team as they are such a big part of the community.
LOOKAYANNER Wrote:Hasn’t he been out of coaching for quite a while? Basketball strategies and coaching methods have changed a lot in the last decade. Clinton would have to do a crash course study. He has to be around 70.

He has been out of Coaching anything since 2009. I don't know but feel like he has kept up with Basketball and Football over that time period. If not he could catch up in a hurry. I know when at Leslie we ran the floor and pressed. I think he is about 70.
eky.sports.fan Wrote:OBI is a tough place to coach as you never know what kids you may have on campus, but I always liked the gym and pull for the team as they are such a big part of the community.

I agree OBI is a tough place to Coach. Like I posted earlier who would want it.
Hire him, He will set the program back 20 years. I think He was a assistant coach at All 3 places. Could have been the head coach at pine knot or could have been Roscoe assistant coach. I still say, pay Steve Wright the money he wants.
BossEric Wrote:Hire him, He will set the program back 20 years. I think He was a assistant coach at All 3 places. Could have been the head coach at pine knot or could have been Roscoe assistant coach. I still say, pay Steve Wright the money he wants.

Such a class act you are Boss. I'll bet you wake up every morning thinking of good things to say about people.Confusednicker:Confusednicker: