Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
D1 players in 15th Region
Dawg@heart Wrote:Well I was totally unaware there was a competition to prove anything? You are the man-but you already convinced yourself of that anyway.:Clap:
Thank you.
Are you finally finished???
Actually, I'm sure several of us are hoping you both are finished. Enough is enough. It's past the point of ridiculous. Who cares who's right. The kid's going to play and that's what's important.
BballFan63 Wrote:Actually, I'm sure several of us are hoping you both are finished. Enough is enough. It's past the point of ridiculous. Who cares who's right. The kid's going to play and that's what's important.

You are exactly right. Thanks for your input.
BballFan63 Wrote:Actually, I'm sure several of us are hoping you both are finished. Enough is enough. It's past the point of ridiculous. Who cares who's right. The kid's going to play and that's what's important.

My point exactly-thanks bballfan63! Congrats Timmy!:letsparty
Shane Grim is the best pitcher coming up this season. very likely he will be playing at a d1 school
Shane Grimm is gettin recruited by WVU... And from what I've heard that's prolly where he'll end up goin.
Redneck Wrote:Shane Grimm is gettin recruited by WVU... And from what I've heard that's prolly where he'll end up goin.

A lot of variables at WVU. Out of state tuition is astronomical at WVU and Van Zant is infamous for being an over-recruiter and in being stingy with scholly money. He is a real good kid and best of luck to Shane. I hope he has that chance.
grimm likes WVU but he says he like to go and play at cinns. loves the feild everythign else around it..but best of luck to where ever he goes and to every1 else
DB3 Wrote:grimm likes WVU but he says he like to go and play at cinns. loves the feild everythign else around it..but best of luck to where ever he goes and to every1 else

I doubt he could play there. He will have to pick up some velocity on his ball to play at that level. But he is left-handed which helps.
I thought Shawn Grimm was a football only guy and wanted to have a career in that??

I know hes amazing at it and if it was up to me id send him with the shoulder pads.

Never seem him play baseball though. Is he better?
Shawn Grimm is the running back from Johnson Central, and Shane Grimm is a pitcher and plays basketball for Paintsville. Two different kids and to my knowledge are of no relation.
1911 Wrote:I doubt he could play there. He will have to pick up some velocity on his ball to play at that level. But he is left-handed which helps.

During the summer when wvu was calling him and at the games they like him. They always calling him and filling him in on stuff and everything. But his fastball is up to about 92 or somethign like that. Thats where it was when he was playing still.
DB3 Wrote:During the summer when wvu was calling him and at the games they like him. They always calling him and filling him in on stuff and everything. But his fastball is up to about 92 or somethign like that. Thats where it was when he was playing still.
92? Wow. He's picked up a lil hasn't he? If thats truly the case, ought to be something to watch this year.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
DB3 Wrote:During the summer when wvu was calling him and at the games they like him. They always calling him and filling him in on stuff and everything. But his fastball is up to about 92 or somethign like that. Thats where it was when he was playing still.
Take about 8-10 MPH off of that.

He threw 77-82 in the district tournament.

There is nobody in the 15th region that can come close to sniffing 90, let alone 92.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:Take about 8-10 MPH off of that.

He threw 77-82 in the district tournament.

There is nobody in the 15th region that can come close to sniffing 90, let alone 92.

I would not be surprised to see Austin Lyons as not only the staff ace , but maybe the hardest thrower on top of that.
Seriously you are off by at least 10mph. He doesn't even throw 85. If he were throwing 92 as a lefty he would be getting drafted and that is not the case at all. He throws about 78-82 during a game. Lyons is the hardest thrower for PHS.
[SIZE=2]Grimm is definitely the ace of the staff. He’s been gunned at 87 at WV Tech, and 82 at UK, and 85-86 at WVU. I know Cincinnati and WVU both like him. I was at the WVU camp also and Coach Van Zant really like him. I hope he gets to play at the school of his choice. Lyons has been gunned between 81-84 this fall.[/SIZE]
Pupaw Wrote:[SIZE=2]Grimm is definitely the ace of the staff. He’s been gunned at 87 at WV Tech, and 82 at UK, and 85-86 at WVU. I know Cincinnati and WVU both like him. I was at the WVU camp also and Coach Van Zant really like him. I hope he gets to play at the school of his choice. Lyons has been gunned between 81-84 this fall.[/SIZE]

VanZant likes everybody, until money gets discussed.

I will stand by my thoughts.:Thumbs:
Pupaw Wrote:[SIZE=2]Grimm is definitely the ace of the staff. He’s been gunned at 87 at WV Tech, and 82 at UK, and 85-86 at WVU. I know Cincinnati and WVU both like him. I was at the WVU camp also and Coach Van Zant really like him. I hope he gets to play at the school of his choice. Lyons has been gunned between 81-84 this fall.[/SIZE]

there is no way lyons throws 81-84, thats a bit of a stretch, and the fastest ive ever heard of grimm is 84 thats pretty good if he's hitting 87...how long ago did he get clocked at that??
bigE Wrote:there is no way lyons throws 81-84, thats a bit of a stretch, and the fastest ive ever heard of grimm is 84 thats pretty good if he's hitting 87...how long ago did he get clocked at that??
Lyons does indeed throw that fast. Right now I'd say he pitches more towards 81-82 but he is what a soph. He has alot of upside to gain velocity along with his already good breaking ball.
bigE Wrote:there is no way lyons throws 81-84, thats a bit of a stretch, and the fastest ive ever heard of grimm is 84 thats pretty good if he's hitting 87...how long ago did he get clocked at that??
This fall, Post 76 played at WV Tech in a DH and won both, by the way. Grimm threw 4 shutout innings, allowed 2 hits I believe and got the win in the 2nd game. There were two guns, each had Grimm at 87 that day. Grimm had a very good fall both pitching and offensively. He pitched very well at UK and in Columbus. Grimm has gotten much stronger and his offspeed pitches, were very good. He's a great guy and I hope he goes to the school, of his choice.

Lyons pitched the 6th thru 9th innings in the 1st game and got that win, against WV Tech.

This was in late August or early September.
Ok sorry i was off by 4mph. But it sounded good did'nt it. haha...Anyway Lyons is throwing the ball good or was when fall ball ended. And yes he does throw 81-84mph
Mr.Kimball Wrote:Do you have a clue as to what it takes to play at the D1 level? I doubt that anyone at PBurg has that ability right now. Perhaps at another level, but nowhere even close to MSU or EKU.

Have you seen Prestonsburg play? I'm not saying that they do, but I'm doubting you have seen them play. The only player Prestonsburg has that could possibly play at that type of school is Rodebaugh. He is without a doubt one of the best hitters in the 15th.
blackcat Wrote:Have you seen Prestonsburg play? I'm not saying that they do, but I'm doubting you have seen them play. The only player Prestonsburg has that could possibly play at that type of school is Rodebaugh. He is without a doubt one of the best hitters in the 15th.

Bobby Hughes :confused:

He may not have been the best hitter on the team but he was the best all-round played on Prestonsburg last season, and this season is the last chance he has at getting a college scholorship. So he has something to prove! So I could see Bobby and Josh being a D1 players, depending on if Marc Sheperd talks to colleges for them.
blackcat Wrote:Have you seen Prestonsburg play? I'm not saying that they do, but I'm doubting you have seen them play. The only player Prestonsburg has that could possibly play at that type of school is Rodebaugh. He is without a doubt one of the best hitters in the 15th.

I've seen them play for more years than you have probably been alive and they are traditionaly one of the worst programs in the state of Kentucky. Some of you without a doubt have no clue whatsoever what D1 is . Not being too critical here because the average fan in eastern Kentucky just has that mentality. It's called ignorance of the game of baseball.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:I've seen them play for more years than you have probably been alive and they are traditionaly one of the worst programs in the state of Kentucky. Some of you without a doubt have no clue whatsoever what D1 is . Not being too critical here because the average fan in eastern Kentucky just has that mentality. It's called ignorance of the game of baseball.
:Thumbs: Thank you someone finally said it! People around this area are ignorant as to what it takes to be a D-1 player. People around this area think that if you are a good player in this region then you are going to UK. Just think back within the past five years and count how many kids from this region have actually gone D-1 straight from high school. I'd say there aren't a handfull. If people want to see what D-1 talent looks like they should actually go to a game and see what it takes insted of being unaware. But it's truthfully this way for all sports in this area. **** in basketball if you have a kid who can score 20pts in a game he is going to North Carolina. It just makes us look bad.
blackcat_student Wrote:Bobby Hughes :confused:

He may not have been the best hitter on the team but he was the best all-round played on Prestonsburg last season, and this season is the last chance he has at getting a college scholorship. So he has something to prove! So I could see Bobby and Josh being a D1 players, depending on if Marc Sheperd talks to colleges for them.
Marc is a great young man. I have watched him grow up and have known his family for many many years. Marc was a good athlete in high school, and I can say assuredly that everyone from Johnson Co. has nothing but the very best wishes for him to succeed at PBurg. The truth however is that Marc has more than got his hands full in trying to build a program at a school that cares for nothing else other than football. Marc was an average baseball player in high school, and did not play at the college level, so I would not place to much pressure on Marc to be a great recruiting asset just yet because I am sure that at this young point in his career that he does not have any college contacts. PBurg always produces some of the best athletes up and down the river, but they have never produced quality baseball players. Jesse Chaffins is the best college baseball prospect to have played at PBurg in the last several years and could have been a great high school and college player, but never really placed a great deal of emphasis on baseball. PBurgs problem is partly due to having some of the worst facilities in the state, but mostly due to an apathetic attitude towards baseball by the administration, absolutely no vision on the part of the Floyd Co. Board of Education cancerning baseball, and a former long term coach that never gave a crap about having a quality baseball program to begin with. I have seen years when PBurg would only play 10-12 games. I have been part of programs in the past where when game day came around and PBurg was on the schedule that come game time , nobody from Prestonsburg would even show up. Not even a phone call to cancel, not anything.

So bottom line , if you folks at Prestonsburg ever want to have a quality program where you can legitimately say that you have players that truely are of D1 caliber and to have them respected as such, then I suggest that everyone that is a supporter of Prestonsburg athletics get behind your coach and try to really build a program. You cannot expect a college program to seriously take stats into consideration in evaluating players from a team whose players experience consists of playing 75% of their games against nothing more than 58th district opponents.
Doesn't Prestonsburg now use the new baseball facilities up at Stone Crest? I have not been in it, but was told there was a very nice indoor training area that butts right up to the home dugout. I know that doesn't help with the past, but maybe it's a step in the right direction. I haven't been at a Pburg game there yet, but jus thought thats where they played now.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Mr.Kimball Wrote:Marc is a great young man. I have watched him grow up and have known his family for many many years. Marc was a good athlete in high school, and I can say assuredly that everyone from Johnson Co. has nothing but the very best wishes for him to succeed at PBurg. The truth however is that Marc has more than got his hands full in trying to build a program at a school that cares for nothing else other than football. Marc was an average baseball player in high school, and did not play at the college level, so I would not place to much pressure on Marc to be a great recruiting asset just yet because I am sure that at this young point in his career that he does not have any college contacts. PBurg always produces some of the best athletes up and down the river, but they have never produced quality baseball players. Jesse Chaffins is the best college baseball prospect to have played at PBurg in the last several years and could have been a great high school and college player, but never really placed a great deal of emphasis on baseball. PBurgs problem is partly due to having some of the worst facilities in the state, but mostly due to an apathetic attitude towards baseball by the administration, absolutely no vision on the part of the Floyd Co. Board of Education cancerning baseball, and a former long term coach that never gave a crap about having a quality baseball program to begin with. I have seen years when PBurg would only play 10-12 games. I have been part of programs in the past where when game day came around and PBurg was on the schedule that come game time , nobody from Prestonsburg would even show up. Not even a phone call to cancel, not anything.

So bottom line , if you folks at Prestonsburg ever want to have a quality program where you can legitimately say that you have players that truely are of D1 caliber and to have them respected as such, then I suggest that everyone that is a supporter of Prestonsburg athletics get behind your coach and try to really build a program. You cannot expect a college program to seriously take stats into consideration in evaluating players from a team whose players experience consists of playing 75% of their games against nothing more than 58th district opponents.

Maybe in the past Prestonsburg was just a football school but I really don't think that this is the case anymore. Plus I don't don't how they could be one of the weakest baseball schools in the state of Kentucky considering that they won a state championship in baseball, and not too many teams in Eastern Kentucky have done that. Prestonsburg has two of the better players in the 15th region and IMO I think Prestonsburg is the sleeper in the region and I believe that they have a shot at going to Applebee's Park.

And when was the last time you where at a Prestonsburg game? They have had really good fan support over the past four years. And they now have probably the finest facility in the 15th region and maybe even the best in Eastern Kentucky. Not trying to get under your skin or anything but just curious.

Ring'Em Up Wrote:Doesn't Prestonsburg now use the new baseball facilities up at Stone Crest? I have not been in it, but was told there was a very nice indoor training area that butts right up to the home dugout. I know that doesn't help with the past, but maybe it's a step in the right direction. I haven't been at a Pburg game there yet, but jus thought thats where they played now.

Yes, they have an indoor training facility that has a batting cage, locker room, and a bullpen. Yes it is a step in the right direction, and there are over 30 boys that are ready to go out there and bust there *** off to when district and compete in region this year.