• 11(current)
  • Next 
  Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Russell Red Devils 2008
300!!!!!
Romans 14:11
It is written: " 'As surely as I live,' says the Lord, 'every knee will bow before me; every tongue will confess to God.' "
Russell will be a very good football team, they always are. They are steady and very seldom do they do something to beat themselves. That being said I don't think they will represent the East in Louisville. Belfry is the best team in the East and will be hard to topple. Breathitt will be a very explosive team that poses problems for teams like Belfry, Russell, and Sheldon Clark. Those teams don't play well from behind because of their styles of play. Mason always has athletes and is dangerous as anyone. Sheldon Clark will be young but very athletic and could be a tough out in the playoffs. All in all I think Rusell might be the 3rd or 4th best team in the East on paper, but football is not played on paper. Good luck Red Devils.
Super-Card Wrote:Russell will be a very good football team, they always are. They are steady and very seldom do they do something to beat themselves. That being said I don't think they will represent the East in Louisville. Belfry is the best team in the East and will be hard to topple. Breathitt will be a very explosive team that poses problems for teams like Belfry, Russell, and Sheldon Clark. Those teams don't play well from behind because of their styles of play. Mason always has athletes and is dangerous as anyone. Sheldon Clark will be young but very athletic and could be a tough out in the playoffs. All in all I think Rusell might be the 3rd or 4th best team in the East on paper, but football is not played on paper. Good luck Red Devils.
Nice post Super-Card.
Thisis going back to the Ironton posts. I hate that we play Ironton in 09, they will kill us that year. Last year's Ironton team was practically all soph's. So they will have a ton of 3 year starters, in what was going to be a great class anyways. Plus we will probably graduate 18-20 of the starters from the year before. I'm sure it will be an early season game, plus if its at Tank stadium, no out of state team wins there, they will turn the lights off.

Like they stated, I'm sure if all the good players in Greenup went to Russell, then the results would be different. This is what happens in Lawrence County, OH. It shows because none of the other programs over there are very good. Not to mention its the most classless program and fans in the tri-state area.
Who are you refering to "us" in that statement "Ironton will kill us that year"? You obviously are not talking about Russell?!? Have you seen our upcoming Jr.'s?? Very good athletes in that class.
sore_looser Wrote:Who are you refering to "us" in that statement "Ironton will kill us that year"? You obviously are not talking about Russell?!? Have you seen our upcoming Jr.'s?? Very good athletes in that class.

Don't worry much about that post. EkLb seems to have some sort of beef with the coaching staff at Russell and seems to think they are the weakest team in the area due to the fact they run the ball. If my memoery serves me correctly the last several 2A and recently 3A state championships have came from run based teams. Russell will be fine playing their style of ball. Ironton may beat Russell but I have a problem seeing them killing Russell.
Midee1 Wrote:Don't worry much about that post. EkLb seems to have some sort of beef with the coaching staff at Russell and seems to think they are the weakest team in the area due to the fact they run the ball. If my memoery serves me correctly the last several 2A and recently 3A state championships have came from run based teams. Russell will be fine playing their style of ball. Ironton may beat Russell but I have a problem seeing them killing Russell.

Ironton always has good football teams. Last year was a down year for them. I would not count Russell out against anyone. EKLB!!!! Russell may loose to Ironton but I killing them. EKLB, You need to come out on friday nights and watch a few games. I have not seem anyone kill Russell in years. The opponent may win but they knew they played an excellent Russell team. I myself and me speaking for me only thinks that Russell can play with anyone on any given night and give them a run for their money. No football team will ever play Russell and think they have it in the bag. You can take that to the bank.
Jeepman Wrote:Ironton always has good football teams. Last year was a down year for them. I would not count Russell out against anyone. EKLB!!!! Russell may loose to Ironton but I killing them. EKLB, You need to come out on friday nights and watch a few games. I have not seem anyone kill Russell in years. The opponent may win but they knew they played an excellent Russell team. I myself and me speaking for me only thinks that Russell can play with anyone on any given night and give them a run for their money. No football team will ever play Russell and think they have it in the bag. You can take that to the bank.

The last team from Ohio that played Russell was Portsmouth West, the Div2 State Runner up that year, and I think they felt suprised and relieved to get out of "The Hank" with the W.

PW's head coach at the time is now the HC at Greenup Co.

I may have some minor details wrong but I think it was 2002.
(didn't reference it in my "Statistical History of Russell Football" book.)
So who do you think will be starting.
I don't have any beef with the Russell coaching staff, I think they are very good. I just think they could do much better. When I watch Russell play I feel like they seem complacent. They are gonna do what they do, win or lose. Also, I feel like sometimes when Ive watched them play BC, GC, or Ashland. They just seem gassed in the second quarter, and are just out conditioned.

Ironton will be in contention for a Ohio State title. Russell will be replacing 95% of its team. From looking at the roster.

Abrams 2way starter
Cordle 2way starter
Miller 2way starter
Bailey 2way starter
Mitchell 2way starter
Dillon 2way starter
Bates-if able to play, FB

Thats 13 of 22 right there, and I didn't even get to the line. Which I'm sure will have 1 or 2 more seniors. I'm not saying Russell will be bad, they are Russell. Ironton will be that good + Russell losing quite a bit = 20point loss for Devils.
Getting close to preseason for area teams. What Juniors are gonna step up on the Oline? I saw some big boys at Summer Motion sporting some Russell T's. Who is gonna be their big time performers? I didn't see any freshman last year who I thought would make an impact this year as soph's, but am I overlooking someone?

Is there a possibility of Rice playing guard if Bates is healthy at FB? He's the type of kid I'd want on the field somewhere no matter what. He plays LB so I know he's hard nosed enough for it.
EkyLb Wrote:Getting close to preseason for area teams. What Juniors are gonna step up on the Oline? I saw some big boys at Summer Motion sporting some Russell T's. Who is gonna be their big time performers? I didn't see any freshman last year who I thought would make an impact this year as soph's, but am I overlooking someone?

Is there a possibility of Rice playing guard if Bates is healthy at FB? He's the type of kid I'd want on the field somewhere no matter what. He plays LB so I know he's hard nosed enough for it.
Travis Edwards may step in as a sophmore this year. He was out for most of the freshman season last year.
I know over in Estill County, they have a lot of respect for the Red Devils, great great program.
EkyLb Wrote:I don't have any beef with the Russell coaching staff, I think they are very good. I just think they could do much better. When I watch Russell play I feel like they seem complacent. They are gonna do what they do, win or lose. Also, I feel like sometimes when Ive watched them play BC, GC, or Ashland. They just seem gassed in the second quarter, and are just out conditioned.

Ironton will be in contention for a Ohio State title. Russell will be replacing 95% of its team. From looking at the roster.

Abrams 2way starter
Cordle 2way starter
Miller 2way starter
Bailey 2way starter
Mitchell 2way starter
Dillon 2way starter
Bates-if able to play, FB

Thats 13 of 22 right there, and I didn't even get to the line. Which I'm sure will have 1 or 2 more seniors. I'm not saying Russell will be bad, they are Russell. Ironton will be that good + Russell losing quite a bit = 20point loss for Devils.
It's A new season. These kids have one goal, Louisville and the ring.
Jeepman Wrote:Ironton always has good football teams. Last year was a down year for them. I would not count Russell out against anyone. EKLB!!!! Russell may loose to Ironton but I killing them. EKLB, You need to come out on friday nights and watch a few games. I have not seem anyone kill Russell in years. The opponent may win but they knew they played an excellent Russell team. I myself and me speaking for me only thinks that Russell can play with anyone on any given night and give them a run for their money. No football team will ever play Russell and think they have it in the bag. You can take that to the bank.

I would like to say Trinity or ST.X would like to differ about not having it in the bag while playing RussellWink but I still dont see Ironton killing Russell with Ivan coaching the team!
Wow 11 pages in July, nice to see interest is high in the offseason.
Mason gonna be our toughest District opponent this year? Not really sure what they have returning. Anyone heard anything about them?
Some_Kid Wrote:So who do you think will be starting.

Qb-Cordle
FB-Bates if healthy, if not maybe Jones? Don't really know.
TB-Abrams- should be awesome this year
WB-Bailey- Family pick
TE- Dillon
SE- Mitchell
C-Nick Blevins
G-K. Smith
G-???
T-D. Miller
T-???

DE-Dillon gonna need him to have a solid year at this position this yr
DE-???
T-D. Miller
T-???
NG-???
LB-Rice
LB-Smith
CB-Bailey
CB-Mitchell or Cordle
SS-Abrams
FS-Fosson, although I think Rogers will see some time too. I think the DB will be a fluid rotation to help give players a break. Especially early in the season, gonna be hot come August.

Looks like some spots open for some linemen to earn themselves a spot.
EkyLb Wrote:Getting close to preseason for area teams. What Juniors are gonna step up on the Oline? I saw some big boys at Summer Motion sporting some Russell T's. Who is gonna be their big time performers? I didn't see any freshman last year who I thought would make an impact this year as soph's, but am I overlooking someone?

Is there a possibility of Rice playing guard if Bates is healthy at FB? He's the type of kid I'd want on the field somewhere no matter what. [B]He plays LB so I know he's hard nosed enough for it.
[/B]

I agree, got a winner's attitude.
bates most likely wont be running the ball at all but may see some time at nose
Beetle01 Wrote:Qb-Cordle
FB-Bates if healthy, if not maybe Jones? Don't really know.
TB-Abrams- should be awesome this year
WB-Bailey- Family pick
TE- Dillon
SE- Mitchell
C-Nick Blevins
G-K. Smith
G-???
T-D. Miller
T-???

DE-Dillon gonna need him to have a solid year at this position this yr
DE-???
T-D. Miller
T-???
NG-???
LB-Rice
LB-Smith
CB-Bailey
CB-Mitchell or Cordle
SS-Abrams
FS-Fosson, although I think Rogers will see some time too. I think the DB will be a fluid rotation to help give players a break. Especially early in the season, gonna be hot come August.

Looks like some spots open for some linemen to earn themselves a spot.
Would like to see Nick Blevins at NG. He has been a stopper in the middle since his fresman year. Has the strength and size. Playing both sides on the line is tough.
Listen to Ironton fans on another board they are predicting a win bt 35 or more.

Don't see that happening.
I will expect to see a little more Jr's than what you show. Also, I bet we see a lot of Edwards.
I agree. I think we will see alot of Edwards he has all the tools. I also like this jr class. I don't think they will miss a beat.
sore_looser Wrote:I will expect to see a little more Jr's than what you show. Also, I bet we see a lot of Edwards.

i bet we dont see alot of edwards...no offense...he has gotta work on the whole running and playing football thing...not a very good mutitasker
Beetle01 Wrote:Mason gonna be our toughest District opponent this year? Not really sure what they have returning. Anyone heard anything about them?

I think Mason lost alot, but rememeber fleming co is in our district now with east carter moving up to 4A
highschoolfootballfan Wrote:I think Mason lost alot, but rememeber fleming co is in our district now with east carter moving up to 4A
No they are not. In 2009 they will be though.
highschoolfootballfan Wrote:i bet we dont see alot of edwards...no offense...he has gotta work on the whole running and playing football thing...not a very good mutitasker

Still very young will only be a Sophmore.:thumpsup:
Some_Kid Wrote:bates most likely wont be running the ball at all but may see some time at nose

He may not. He'll atleast get the oppurtunity. Still a month and a half till the first game. Even longer till our first district game. If he was able to keep his speed, I don't see him not being in there. He might rotate with someone who may be a great blocker, or a different style runner.

Does it already feel like fall to any of you all? Just the weather and the smell. Almost feels like summer skipped us.
Who are some good juniors Russell has I know they got the two linebackers but who else does this class have that can play some football?
  •  Previous
  • 11(current)
  • Next