•  Previous
  • 5(current)
  • Next 
  Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Pikeville Coach?
HAIL PIKEVILLE! Wrote:Lets just say if they arent going to hire Chapman for his baggage then I seriously doubt one of those coaches getting it considering hes got so much baggage youd have to load it on a trainWink and the other is the baseball coach and he has a hard enough time with that as it is with the Baseball team.

U seem to know alot of information about this program. Your opinion is that and entitled you are, however the question was asked who could help as assistants that were in the high school already. Thats what I replied about. Taking an incident and making fun of people who from what I read almost died and people that teach and coach our kids and students is embarassing for you. If you have been told Ben and Macnmee have already been given the no by Mayo you are trying to show information you know nothing about his options and job along with the AD could depend on this hire.
I've read a lot of comments about people not being satisfied with the administration and many other comments about folks outside the system having an impact.

All of this leaves those of us not directly associated with PHS wondering who exactly are the players in this drama? As a Pike County sports fan, I'm left scratching my head. In that line of thinking, I'd like to know who we are talking about.

Who is in the administration?
Who is the AD?
Who is the Principal?
Who else, besides these, are pulling strings?
Woodford Reserve Wrote:Chapman is a great offensive mind but his baggage along with others will not be tolerated. Pikeville will hire someone who is as clean as the Mr Clean. They dont have a choice. I see alot of pressure on the AD to hire this job correctly because of the last 2 failures in the program. The principal and AD will have to hire the right pikeville man for the job someone who in the community and knows the system. My vote is to bring the big mac back.

Baggage? I would really like to know what baggage comes with Chapman. He didn't get along with the last AD, just like a lot of others in Pikeville. Is there anything wrong with that? I think Chris McNamee would be a great hire also, but I doubt he would come back again.
Whoever takes over the Football Program has their work cut out for them. Pikeville Athletics, in my opinion, has a very average future. The talent pool is just not there! There could be some transfers come in, but I see the opposite happening in the very near future. I think the best athletes will start transferring out, or going back to the county schools, I would.
i dont believe taking the coaching job is a step up for any big name coach. whoever takes the job must want to be there and realize the program and talent isnt what it used to be. its not settling for less, its just getting out the best in what you have. we cant settle for the wing t offense and always saying next year.
Nike1 Wrote:Whoever takes over the Football Program has their work cut out for them. Pikeville Athletics, in my opinion, has a very average future. The talent pool is just not there! There could be some transfers come in, but I see the opposite happening in the very near future. I think the best athletes will start transferring out, or going back to the county schools, I would.

The freshman class is very good. The 7th and 8th grade classes are small and weak.
The 3rd through 6th classes are very good.
hillbilly Wrote:The freshman class is very good. The 7th and 8th grade classes are small and weak.
The 3rd through 6th classes are very good.

-The freshmen class is pretty good, skill wise assuming they all stay there.
-Agree on the 7th and 8th.
-3rd-6th, from what I've been told by some parents, are going to lose several of their best athletes to some nearby schools. Looks like some of the "True Pikeville" are going to get what they've been asking for.
Nike1 Wrote:-The freshmen class is pretty good, skill wise assuming they all stay there.
-Agree on the 7th and 8th.
-3rd-6th, from what I've been told by some parents, are going to lose several of their best athletes to some nearby schools. Looks like some of the "True Pikeville" are going to get what they've been asking for.

The leaving part is very true in the 9th grade group. Many are not happy with the football or basketball.
Is this job officially open yet?
Heard Mike Jones at estill county is very interested in this job, his system would be very interesting there, he has beaten the beechwoods' and russells'
Listen Panther fans from the outside looking in it appears to me that there are 3 main players in this tragic comedy besides the super. The Principal, The Asst. Principal, and the AD. Im not from Pikeville originally but I see a common denominator in all these individuals: They were all fired from coaching postions at Pikeville High School at one time or another. It makes one wonder if they arent trying to get back at the very community that called for their heads by running the sports programs that they were run off from into the ground. The ? I have is why did the community support all three of these men to ultimately control the destiny of the sports programs of the school? This would be the equivalent of UK voting Bill Curry universtiy president, Eddie Sutton as Vice president and Tubby Smith as AD. It never fails every great program is destroyed from within.
Woodford Reserve Wrote:U seem to know alot of information about this program. Your opinion is that and entitled you are, however the question was asked who could help as assistants that were in the high school already. Thats what I replied about. Taking an incident and making fun of people who from what I read almost died and people that teach and coach our kids and students is embarassing for you. If you have been told Ben and Macnmee have already been given the no by Mayo you are trying to show information you know nothing about his options and job along with the AD could depend on this hire.
Yes I do know alot about the program. All Im saying is if youre saying that one coach wont get a chance to come back and coach because of "baggage" then someone who has even more "baggage" isnt going to be asked to coach even in a assistant capacity either. Even before this person in question had "baggage" he was asked by 2 different coaches to come out and help and wouldnt do it. I gotta go now. I gotta go be embarrased and ashamed of myself.Rolleyes
JackRabbitSlim Wrote:I am pretty sure you have to wait 30 days before they can post it.

it can be posted immediately...then they must wait 30 days to hire...or apply for a waiver to hire early...
HAIL PIKEVILLE! Wrote:From what Ive heard Mayo has already said no to Mac as well as Ben Howard.

Not for sure about Ben but I have also heard that Mac will not be considered...
Jeb Wrote:Is this job officially open yet?

As of today the job has not been posted...
The name I keep hearing is J.B. Donahue from Harlan.
HAIL PIKEVILLE! Wrote:Yes I do know alot about the program. All Im saying is if youre saying that one coach wont get a chance to come back and coach because of "baggage" then someone who has even more "baggage" isnt going to be asked to coach even in a assistant capacity either. Even before this person in question had "baggage" he was asked by 2 different coaches to come out and help and wouldnt do it. I gotta go now. I gotta go be embarrased and ashamed of myself.Rolleyes

My point was that ur pun was classless. Its a known fact that Chapman had his problems with the AD and administration and its a known fact that he was suspended for his conduct on the field not as a teacher and not that he was a bad coach. If u claim to know information about the prior assistants that worked with the football team in the early 2000's that u speak of its not factual. Both are still teaching at the school according to the web site. My main point was that the next coach at pikeville needs to know the community, have access to raise big money from the community and be able to get along with the staff and win. I dont know who was asked to do what but I would give people resonable doubt as why they choose to coach or not to coach. I want whats best for the programs in easten ky. Pikeville had one above average back this year and no fullback to assist in the offense. I would love to see a more diverse offense and a disiplined defense with soild sp from the next coach whoever that may be. Maybe u know of the program with Jackson and Copley as head coaches what did that bring to the sucess of PHS .U embarass ur self by posting false information for someone that knows so much of the program.
Chuck Taylor Wrote:Not for sure about Ben but I have also heard that Mac will not be considered...

Spoke with the Assistant principal and everyone is still in the game no decisions have been made as to throwing names in or out. I would look for the principal to go out and find a head coach that fits this program. Only decision that has been made is the opening of the weight room 4 days a week. I believe derick Sword is running that. If im not mistaken he was a QB that played for Macnemee.
Nike1 Wrote:The name I keep hearing is J.B. Donahue from Harlan.

What would he bring to pikeville? Just wondering
Alright, if you all must know. I do know who is going to get it and it is McNamee. I will put cash or whatever on it. I know the ball is in his court. And I think everyone else will stay except for one maybe two.

you heard it first from a betsy layne fan....
Woodford Reserve Wrote:What would he bring to pikeville? Just wondering

The one thing that Donahue would bring is an understanding of how small independent school systems operate. The Harlan Independent website does not have info on his record or how long he has been there. I believe they have been fairly successful since he has been there. I thought his team played hard against Pikeville in the playoffs this year. The website list him as a social studies teacher. Does PHS have a social studies job open?
betsylaynealum Wrote:Alright, if you all must know. I do know who is going to get it and it is McNamee. I will put cash or whatever on it. I know the ball is in his court. And I think everyone else will stay except for one maybe two.

you heard it first from a betsy layne fan....

How much cash or whatever would you like to put on it?
Woodford Reserve Wrote:My point was that ur pun was classless. Its a known fact that Chapman had his problems with the AD and administration and its a known fact that he was suspended for his conduct on the field not as a teacher and not that he was a bad coach. If u claim to know information about the prior assistants that worked with the football team in the early 2000's that u speak of its not factual. Both are still teaching at the school according to the web site. My main point was that the next coach at pikeville needs to know the community, have access to raise big money from the community and be able to get along with the staff and win. I dont know who was asked to do what but I would give people resonable doubt as why they choose to coach or not to coach. I want whats best for the programs in easten ky. Pikeville had one above average back this year and no fullback to assist in the offense. I would love to see a more diverse offense and a disiplined defense with soild sp from the next coach whoever that may be. Maybe u know of the program with Jackson and Copley as head coaches what did that bring to the sucess of PHS .U embarass ur self by posting false information for someone that knows so much of the program.
Ok what did I post that was false?
Woodford Reserve Wrote:Chapman is a great offensive mind but his baggage along with others will not be tolerated. Pikeville will hire someone who is as clean as the Mr Clean. They dont have a choice. I see alot of pressure on the AD to hire this job correctly because of the last 2 failures in the program. The principal and AD will have to hire the right pikeville man for the job someone who in the community and knows the system. My vote is to bring the big mac back.

I am not a Pikeville football expert, but Coach Chapman is more than a great offensive mind. It is true that he knows the spread offense as well as anyone and has utilized other offensive schemes with a lot of success as well. He does have a good enough understanding to adapt his offense to fit his team. I played for him the late 80's and early 90's in a wishbone offense so he is very well rounded.

I just wanted to add that he has been the Defensive Coordinator on more than 1 State Championship team as well. Regardless of personal feelings that some Pikeville faithfuls have of this coach, he is possibly the most well rounded coach period. I know this too, no team he has faced or will face will know his team or their own team better than he knows them. He can break down film better than anyone, and he will have his team prepared. If he loses, it is because the other team is simply better by a lot. If the teams are close, edge to Chapman. He does not lose because of his team. He has and will continue to get the most out of the teams he coaches. In my mind, that is indisputable. Pikeville or any other team would be lucky to have him on board. He is demanding and unwavering in his convictions. This trait is positive to people like me, but negative to others. I have not spoken to him in years, but I appreciate everything he done for me. As a teenager I did not see the big picture as I do now. He had a profound impact on me and I do not have a negative thing to say about him. I may have at age 18, but that would only be after a TOUGH practice so that dont count. He is hard nosed for sure.
Johnny Tyler Mad Cap Wrote:I am not a Pikeville football expert, but Coach Chapman is more than a great offensive mind. It is true that he knows the spread offense as well as anyone and has utilized other offensive schemes with a lot of success as well. He does have a good enough understanding to adapt his offense to fit his team. I played for him the late 80's and early 90's in a wishbone offense so he is very well rounded.

I just wanted to add that he has been the Defensive Coordinator on more than 1 State Championship team as well. Regardless of personal feelings that some Pikeville faithfuls have of this coach, he is possibly the most well rounded coach period. I know this too, no team he has faced or will face will know his team or their own team better than he knows them. He can break down film better than anyone, and he will have his team prepared. If he loses, it is because the other team is simply better by a lot. If the teams are close, edge to Chapman. He does not lose because of his team. He has and will continue to get the most out of the teams he coaches. In my mind, that is indisputable. Pikeville or any other team would be lucky to have him on board. He is demanding and unwavering in his convictions. This trait is positive to people like me, but negative to others. I have not spoken to him in years, but I appreciate everything he done for me. As a teenager I did not see the big picture as I do now. He had a profound impact on me and I do not have a negative thing to say about him. I may have at age 18, but that would only be after a TOUGH practice so that dont count. He is hard nosed for sure.

:thumpsup:
GloryDaize Wrote:The one thing that Donahue would bring is an understanding of how small independent school systems operate. The Harlan Independent website does not have info on his record or how long he has been there. I believe they have been fairly successful since he has been there. I thought his team played hard against Pikeville in the playoffs this year. The website list him as a social studies teacher. Does PHS have a social studies job open?

In the last 11 years his record is 62-62. Last year his team was 3-9, the year before 1-9.
Again I ask, because I don't know...

Who is the administration?
Who is the AD?
Who is the Principal?
Who else, besides these, pull strings?
Buc-a-roo Wrote:Again I ask, because I don't know...

Who is the administration?
Who is the AD?
Who is the Principal?
Who else, besides these, pull strings?

Super-Jerry Green
Prin.-Royce Mayo
Asst. Prin.-Dave Thomas
AD-Kevin Garris
String pullers-Obviously nobody anymore
the last strings that got pulled brought jackson and copely. wrong strings. i hope they pull better strings this time.
People at Pikeville need to wake up! They haven't won it all in 20 years! Seriously get out of the past and understand that this is a different world! You will never have anything with the support some of the people have shown on here! Some adults need to quit living in the past and understand that their ambitions are hurting the kids in the school! Do you really think they were more talented than Hazard this year.... NO! Quit living in a dream world. There will be years that they should win the Region but this past was not one of them.
  •  Previous
  • 5(current)
  • Next