•  Previous
  • 7(current)
  • Next 
  Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Pikeville Coach?
They didnt have talent, they got strong in the weight room.
This wing is another animal. If you want to throw the ball just because it is exciting you will probably lose. Ask the people who tried to defend it.
State Champs Wrote:The talent Estill had they should had beat Breathitt both games.

Estill County had good talent but not as much as Breathitt County.

I have also seen that offense keep games close in the past when Estill County honestly wasn't very good.

That double wing can give teams fits. It allows them to keep the ball for long periods of time and keep it away from the opposing offense by grinding out short gains and piling up first downs. I compare to a human wedge just trying to push up the field. The narrow splits on the ground and the RBs churning behind them. It can resemble a rugby scrum at times.
FBALL Wrote:Estill County had good talent but not as much as Breathitt County.

I have also seen that offense keep games close in the past when Estill County honestly wasn't very good.

That double wing can give teams fits. It allows them to keep the ball for long periods of time and keep it away from the opposing offense by grinding out short gains and piling up first downs. I compare to a human wedge just trying to push up the field. The narrow splits on the ground and the RBs churning behind them. It can resemble a rugby scrum at times.

Sounds like rugby to me. Looks like rugby. Maybe a rugby coach.
State Champs Wrote:Sounds like rugby to me. Looks like rugby. Maybe a rugby coach.

Its not real pretty. But it is effective.
I think it is poetry in motion.
Im new on here but i know a little bit about football, and if anybody doubts that pikeville don't have any talent they better check twice cause they do. And what they need is a hometown coach...i think we know who that should be.
rubbermeetstheroad Wrote:i think it is poetry in motion

Call it rugby, as long as it works, I don't see the issue.
I agree lucky13!
Lucky13 Wrote:Call it rugby, as long as it works, I don't see the issue.

I'd say this issue is some people are obsessed with spread offenses and scoring fast. The double wing is a very fundamentally sound, very pragmatic approach to offensive football. Basically its just not sexy enough for some people. Winning games comes second to being flashy. Kind of crazy but there are alot of people that feel that way.

The double wing, wing-T, wishbone, and Power I are dinosaurs to alot of people who don't appreciate the intracacies involved in running them. Personally I like a good running game and think it is a thing of beauty. But like I said, there are alot of people out there that think all you should run is a shotgun fast break style of offense.
FBALL Wrote:I'd say this issue is some people are obsessed with spread offenses and scoring fast. The double wing is a very fundamentally sound, very pragmatic approach to offensive football. Basically its just not sexy enough for some people. Winning games comes second to being flashy. Kind of crazy but there are alot of people that feel that way.

The double wing, wing-T, wishbone, and Power I are dinosaurs to alot of people who don't appreciate the intracacies involved in running them. Personally I like a good running game and think it is a thing of beauty. But like I said, there are alot of people out there that think all you should run is a shotgun fast break style of offense.

I agree with you......I wonder how many of the state champions run spread vs a power running game
There is no harder offense to try to defend at the high school level than a well run wishbone attack. The problem is getting to the level of running it well....Wink
FBALL Wrote:I'd say this issue is some people are obsessed with spread offenses and scoring fast. The double wing is a very fundamentally sound, very pragmatic approach to offensive football. Basically its just not sexy enough for some people. Winning games comes second to being flashy. Kind of crazy but there are alot of people that feel that way.

All them college coaches should stop running the spread and go back to the wishbone and wing T is what you will be selling next.
cat86 Wrote:There is no harder offense to try to defend at the high school level than a well run wishbone attack. The problem is getting to the level of running it well....Wink

I agree
ZoneRead Wrote:All them college coaches should stop running the spread and go back to the wishbone and wing T is what you will be selling next.

I doubt he will be selling that next, he's not saying college coaches don't know what they're doing, but you cannot compare college and high school. Sure schools like Trinity and X have plenty of athletes at their disposal, but how many of those can you name that are like that? High school teams don't have the type of athletes that many college coaches do, therefore, they must choose another system.
Lucky13 Wrote:I doubt he will be selling that next, he's not saying college coaches don't know what they're doing, but you cannot compare college and high school. Sure schools like Trinity and X have plenty of athletes at their disposal, but how many of those can you name that are like that? High school teams don't have the type of athletes that many college coaches do, therefore, they must choose another system.

So you are telling them kids you can't run the spread because you do not have any talent. Wrong, what coaches are saying is that they don't know how to teach kids how to run the spread.
betsylaynealum Wrote:Im telling you chris mcnamee is the next coach, wait and see

What?
Ive been hearing around town that the possibilty of both John Chapman and Ben Howard walking the sidelines next year is a very real possibility. This is the best thing for the program if it were to happen. It would take Pikeville out of mediocrity and immediately back to the 1A elite where the entire community will expect them to be.
Enter The Dragon Wrote:Ive been hearing around town that the possibilty of both John Chapman and Ben Howard walking the sidelines next year is a very real possibility. This is the best thing for the program if it were to happen. It would take Pikeville out of mediocrity and immediately back to the 1A elite where the entire community will expect them to be.
Sounds good ETD!
The talk that i have been hearing. John paul from Breathitt co has the job.
ZoneRead Wrote:All them college coaches should stop running the spread and go back to the wishbone and wing T is what you will be selling next.

I really think you are reading to much into this. I love the running game but I do believe in balance. There is nothing wrong with mixing it up some.

But depending on talent and coaching philosphy there is nothing wrong with a conservative approach. It cuts down the risk of turnovers and controls the clock. I think you run what gives your team the best chance to win.
FBALL Wrote:I really think you are reading to much into this. I love the running game but I do believe in balance. Their is nothing wrong with mixing it up some.

But depending on talent and coaching philosphy there is nothing wrong with a conservative approach. It cuts down the risk of turnovers and controls the clock. I think you run what gives your team the best chance to win.

In this part of the country a running game can win you lots of games, but there are only a few that have been in a program long enough to where the execution is at a peek level.
JackRabbitSlim Wrote:In this part of the country a running game can win you lots of games, but there are only a few that have been in a program long enough to where the execution is at a peek level.

That is a good point.

But I have seen Mike Jones implement his version of the double wing at Estill County and they executed it very well.

The man is a good coach and if he could have that kind of success at Estill, I don't think it is much of a stretch that he could be successful with the same formula at Pikeville if he were to be hired.
FBALL Wrote:That is a good point.

But I have seen Mike Jones implement his version of the double wing at Estill County and they executed it very well.

The man is a good coach and if he could have that kind of success at Estill, I don't think it is much of a stretch that he could be successful with the same formula at Pikeville if he were to be hired.

Why would Pikville hire a coach that was let go from Estill?
Jay#4 Wrote:What?

I think Chris will be the next coach at Pikeville also. He is one of them and knows how the system works.
ZoneRead Wrote:Why would Pikville hire a coach that was let go from Estill?
He wasn't let go, he resigned.

He also led Estill County to the two most successful seasons in that schools history.

If you ask around I think most people would tell you he is a very good coach.

With that said about Jones, I think its irrelevant. IMO Ben Howard will probably be the next head coach for the Panthers with Hilliard as an assistant.
What makes you think the Howards are going back to Pikeville FBALL?
This is what I think about the Howards coming back -

a. I think there will be some pretty serious opposition from the community due to past experiences, unfortunately.
b. Those boys got something special in Letcher County right now from what I see and hear, pretty much got it made
c. And not to get off subject but the younger Howard has a pretty serious little lady from over that way {i think) and I don't see him wanting to leave, you wouldn't neither if you saw that girl, probably the prettiest girl ever outta these hills!! Now you can say what you want but that makes a difference.

Does anybody know if the Howards live in Letcher or if they still live in Pikeville?
DJCOOL Wrote:This is what I think about the Howards coming back -

a. i think there will be some pretty serious opposition from the community due to past experiences, unfortunately.
b. those boys got something special in letcher county righ tnow from what i see and hear, pretty much got it made
c. and not to get off subject but the younger howard has a pretty serious little lady from over that way {i think) and i don't see him wanting to leave, you wouldn't neither if you saw that girl, probably the prettiest girl ever outta these hills!! now you can say what you want but that makes a difference.

Does anybody know if the howards live in letcher or if they still live in pikeville?
I see Hillard often in town.
58fan Wrote:What makes you think the Howards are going back to Pikeville FBALL?
Just some things I have heard recently from people I know at Pikeville.

I don't think its written in stone by any means but I know alot of people down there would be thrilled with it.
  •  Previous
  • 7(current)
  • Next