•  Previous
  • 8(current)
  • Next 
  Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Pikeville Coach?
Panther Thunder Wrote:I see Hillard often in town.
He still lives there and drives to Letcher.
I look for McNamee to be at Pikeville and a possibility of Chapman at Pike Central. Someone said they seen him walking the halls at the Pike County Board of Education along side the principal at Pike Central.
I would love to see the Howards at Pikeville but I heard one of them say there's no way there going to Pikeville, although they have been approached.
Well that probably makes a difference if he's already living there in town, that way it won't really be a matter of relocating again. I'd love to see Pikeville get both Ben and Hillard but like I said there's just a whole lot of factors going into that. They need to get the Howards if they want to get their program back to what it was down there though.
Did Ben ever coach at Pikeville as an assistant?
Morgan Cyrus
slingblade93 Wrote:Morgan Cyrus

????They won't even hire him in his home town
JackRabbitSlim Wrote:????They won't even hire him in his home town
Because his family isn't on the board.
No I don't think so. Now he was an assistant at Pikeville College though.
mike jones!!!!
Ben never coached at Pikeville High School.
They both live over here in Letcher County during the week and occasionally drive back for supper with Marsha (wife and mother) during the week.
I think Ben going is a possibility but I truly think that Letcher County will be the last coaching position for Hillard. It's time for Ben to stand on his own two feet and get out of Daddy's shadow. I know Pikeville casts a huge Hillard shadow but Ben coaches nothing like his father. He likes to throw the ball and you all know that Hillard loves the running game. Hillard would do fine over here without Ben and Ben would be just fine without Hillard. Hate to lose Ben but Pikeville would be getting a good young coach that's really dedicated to what he does. I've heard that the Chapman and Howard combo may be over there next year????? I know this much, nobody will be working any harder if you get those two.
Lambert #1 Wrote:Ben never coached at Pikeville High School.
They both live over here in Letcher County during the week and occasionally drive back for supper with Marsha (wife and mother) during the week.
I think Ben going is a possibility but I truly think that Letcher County will be the last coaching position for Hillard. It's time for Ben to stand on his own two feet and get out of Daddy's shadow. I know Pikeville casts a huge Hillard shadow but Ben coaches nothing like his father. He likes to throw the ball and you all know that Hillard loves the running game. Hillard would do fine over here without Ben and Ben would be just fine without Hillard. Hate to lose Ben but Pikeville would be getting a good young coach that's really dedicated to what he does. I've heard that the Chapman and Howard combo may be over there next year????? I know this much, nobody will be working any harder if you get those two.

Well if he wants to get out of daddy's shadow then I don't think Pikeville is the place to go, especially since his dad's name would actually be on the field he was coaching on.
How could ben come back to Pikeville when the field is named after his dad!!!
If...Then Wrote:If any of the Howards come it will be Hillard. Ben will take over his head coaching spot at Letcher
The ideal situation would be Hillard come as Head and Ben come as Assistant. Smile
Pond creek nation Wrote:How could ben come back to Pikeville when the field is named after his dad!!!

The question should be, How could he not?
Most Bobcat fans will surely hate to hear Coach Chapman name leaving the Bobcat Den,he is/if not one of the states best coaches,he lives and breathes football,and his record shows it,defense at Breathitt Co. shows it also,he knows the spread and Holcomb will be lost without him,look at the 3 state championships and you will see who is there Coach Chapman,never less if he goes its a BIG loss for the Bobcats and a HUGE net gain for any team(Pikeville/Pike Central) he coaches,so Good Luck Coach Chapman your a winner!!!!
Csportsman11 Wrote:Most Bobcat fans will surely hate to hear Coach Chapman name leaving the Bobcat Den,he is/if not one of the states best coaches,he lives and breathes football,and his record shows it,defense at Breathitt Co. shows it also,he knows the spread and Holcomb will be lost without him,look at the 3 state championships and you will see who is there Coach Chapman,never less if he goes its a BIG loss for the Bobcats and a HUGE net gain for any team(Pikeville/Pike Central) he coaches,so Good Luck Coach Chapman your a winner!!!!

I could not agree more. He was my coach almost 20 years ago and he is truly a football man.
Csportsman11 Wrote:Most Bobcat fans will surely hate to hear Coach Chapman name leaving the Bobcat Den,he is/if not one of the states best coaches,he lives and breathes football,and his record shows it,defense at Breathitt Co. shows it also,he knows the spread and Holcomb will be lost without him,look at the 3 state championships and you will see who is there Coach Chapman,never less if he goes its a BIG loss for the Bobcats and a HUGE net gain for any team(Pikeville/Pike Central) he coaches,so Good Luck Coach Chapman your a winner!!!!

So is he for sure leaving?
Has anyone been offered the job? Howard, Chapman, or anyone else
When are the interviews supposed to begin for this job. Mcnamee, Chapman and Howard are the most mentioned named that seem to be going around. Is this just gossip or will one of these three be the next coach at Pikeville. Personally, I think Pikeville will be in a very weak region the next couple of years, and with the proper support can make a deep run. They are going to have to lighten the schedule up quite a bit to help build momentum. The district is weak and I understand that they need to play some good teams, but geez some decent teams and one tough team would be alright. Hazard's talent level will drop off significantly, based on their middleschool the next couple of years, as will Paintsville. I really can't see a dominant team coming from this region for a while. If everything falls into place and scheduling improves they can easily be a 8-2/9-1 team. Then you start getting those kids around the county again. Best of luck to whom ever is hired for this job, and remember Rome wasn't built in a day especially after Nero burnt it to the ground!

Cheese
58fan Wrote:Has anyone been offered the job? Howard, Chapman, or anyone else

I don't see Chapman coaching at Pikeville next year.
ZoneRead Wrote:What needs worked out? Ben and Hillard back at Pikeville where they belong.

No not Hillard, he's not involved in this. He is staying in Letcher.
cheeseforme Wrote:When are the interviews supposed to begin for this job. Mcnamee, Chapman and Howard are the most mentioned named that seem to be going around. Is this just gossip or will one of these three be the next coach at Pikeville. Personally, I think Pikeville will be in a very weak region the next couple of years, and with the proper support can make a deep run. They are going to have to lighten the schedule up quite a bit to help build momentum. The district is weak and I understand that they need to play some good teams, but geez some decent teams and one tough team would be alright. Hazard's talent level will drop off significantly, based on their middleschool the next couple of years, as will Paintsville. I really can't see a dominant team coming from this region for a while. If everything falls into place and scheduling improves they can easily be a 8-2/9-1 team. Then you start getting those kids around the county again. Best of luck to whom ever is hired for this job, and remember Rome wasn't built in a day especially after Nero burnt it to the ground!

Cheese
From what I'm hearing, there is a meeting on Tuesday to discuss that very issue. The word I'm getting, definately from reliable sources, is that they will only be awarded 320 waivers for county kids next year and the tuition will be around $5,000/year for new students and tuition for current students outside the city limits will be raised $200 - $300. Also, each following year the number of students that will be granted waivers from the county will decrease substantially.
This issue has been brought up each of the past few years, but nothing played out. I was told by several that I think would know, that this year will be alot different.
Not trying to stir anything up, but many parents are deeply concerned about how this will all play out. That's all everyone has been talking about as of late. This could play an important role in the decision of some of the coaching candidates, I would think.
In fairness to all the schools, coaches, and players I would hope that a new coach is hired soon. This way the new coach can start preparing for spring practice and the old school can start looking for someone to take his position.
What news is there on this front? What have you all heard?
I heard that Ben Howard had been through discussions with board last night. Rumor I know but most of what on here is. Also heard that a decision was to be made today
Mayo better hit a homeroom with this hire...otherwise things could get ugly...
With Mcnamee out at PC does this open up anything with him maybe going to pikeville??
betsylaynealum Wrote:With Mcnamee out at PC does this open up anything with him maybe going to pikeville??
With that news, I'm leaning toward Ben Howard as HC and McNamee as an assistant.
That's what I'm hearing, but a few things need to be ironed out.
IRISH4 Wrote:That's what I'm hearing, but a few things need to be ironed out.
Haha I'll bring the iron if that's what it takes Wink
  •  Previous
  • 8(current)
  • Next