Rate This Thread - Kentucky will start re-seeding its high school football playoffs this fall.

Like this thread? Help the BGR community grow by sharing it with your friends.

Old 01-11-2018, 03:29 PM
Statistician
Liked 46 Times in 37 Posts
Explorer is on a distinguished road
Default Kentucky will start re-seeding its high school football playoffs this fall
http://www.kentucky.com/sports/high-...194201534.html

Re-seeding semifinal round.

1 host 4.
2 host 3.

Using “to be determined” rankings.
Send a private message to Explorer Add Explorer to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote

Click Here to become a member and join in on the discussions at BGR. Our membership is always 100% FREE.

Old 01-11-2018, 06:19 PM
Cheerleader
Liked 118 Times in 93 Posts
TheHotSnakes is on a distinguished road
I don't hate it....
Send a private message to TheHotSnakes Add TheHotSnakes to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 06:28 PM
Head Coach
Liked 483 Times in 339 Posts
killbilly usmc is on a distinguished road
If they did theses games at neutral sites i would like it, Imagine if for instance Paducah Tilghman, and Belfry are both in the semis, and get paired together. A neutral game would be much better, instead of 1 team traveling 6 hours. But its been done before when Beechwood,and Mayfield had to drive over 5 hours for a semi game.
Send a private message to killbilly usmc Add killbilly usmc to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 06:39 PM
Statistician
Liked 46 Times in 37 Posts
Explorer is on a distinguished road
Seems like the semis have the “title game” a lot. I like the idea. I don’t care about travel at all for this one game. But I do care that’s it’s day after thanksgiving that the travel is occuring.
Send a private message to Explorer Add Explorer to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 07:11 PM
Starter
Liked 157 Times in 122 Posts
WILDCAT NATION is on a distinguished road
Not a fan. The way rankings are done only a select few will ever host a semifinal even if someone new breaks into the boys club.
Send a private message to WILDCAT NATION Add WILDCAT NATION to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 07:30 PM
Equipment Manager
Liked 35 Times in 23 Posts
33 power is an unknown quantity at this point
It is the dumbest thing I have heard since "puppy-monkey-baby". If you look at the article it says, it wants to use a composite of 3 different computer rankings ARE YOU SERIOUS!
WILDCAT NATION (01-11-2018)
Send a private message to 33 power Add 33 power to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 08:48 PM
Starter
Liked 439 Times in 321 Posts
Fly Like a Duck is on a distinguished road
The computer rankings and/or one of them wouldn’t be a bad thing. We hate admitting it, but those things tend to be much more accurate than we’d like to admit. I’d be whole heartedly in favor if they were to use CalPreps, but I didn’t see that on listed
Send a private message to Fly Like a Duck Add Fly Like a Duck to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 10:16 PM
Statistician
Liked 63 Times in 45 Posts
Snakesnot is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by killbilly usmc View Post
If they did theses games at neutral sites i would like it, Imagine if for instance Paducah Tilghman, and Belfry are both in the semis, and get paired together. A neutral game would be much better, instead of 1 team traveling 6 hours. But its been done before when Beechwood,and Mayfield had to drive over 5 hours for a semi game.
A neutral site would not be good in my opinion. You would mainly get the more serious fan and really cut down on a gate. I doubt if that will be the case. Play good during the season and you can hope for a home semi- playoff game. I believe it will help Mayfield greatly as they are usually highly ranked and get them more semi-final home games.
Send a private message to Snakesnot Add Snakesnot to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 11:02 PM
Starter
Liked 439 Times in 321 Posts
Fly Like a Duck is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by WILDCAT NATION View Post
Not a fan. The way rankings are done only a select few will ever host a semifinal even if someone new breaks into the boys club.
I've sadly come to the realization that the boys club in the life of 6 classes (**for the MOST part**) are the same that were in the club for years; some that were just at the top of the steps in the #fourclasslife have since been able to kick down the doors in the life of 6.

Private
Indy's
"County" school with a TOWN/college town/population (or more than 2 stoplights in the county; however you want to look at it). (Apply college town to INDY and/or Private school locations also)
Send a private message to Fly Like a Duck Add Fly Like a Duck to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 11:29 PM
Outta Space Balla

Liked 1,453 Times in 793 Posts
Panther Thunder will become famous soon enoughPanther Thunder will become famous soon enough
I lean towards not liking this idea. I get the reasoning. I have no interest in neutral sites getting involved. Also sucks for even Region schools in ‘18. For example, if Pikeville or Hazard were to win their district and region they would have had home field throughout. Now that could change.

You will end up with schools that will never travel in the Semis. Like, I said. I get it. Just would prefer it stay the same.
WILDCAT NATION (01-12-2018)
Send a private message to Panther Thunder Add Panther Thunder to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 12:02 AM
2nd String
Liked 319 Times in 240 Posts
FoSho is on a distinguished road
I really like this. The coverage and anticipation it gets will be awesome. Plus it will theoretically get the best title game possible.
Send a private message to FoSho Add FoSho to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 08:46 AM
Equipment Manager
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
SportsFan67 is on a distinguished road
Something I would like to see them do is to cut the playoffs down and only put the top 2 teams in from each district. Because you don't see many upsets in that first round. And it would do away with those first round blow outs. This would cut the playoffs down a week and put the championship the week of thanksgiving. Or they could start a week later and have roughly the same playoff schedule as far as when the championships are. This is kind of what Virginia does because I have a buddy over there and he tells me that there are teams that have 6-4 and 7-3 records and miss the playoffs over there. Over here we have 0-10 and 1-9 teams getting into the playoffs that realistically should not be. But this is just a suggestion. Whats thoughts on this type of system and still using district seeding instead of whatever rankings they are planning on using?
Send a private message to SportsFan67 Add SportsFan67 to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 10:19 AM
Lacks the ability to love

Liked 630 Times in 439 Posts
Real Badman is on a distinguished road
You can't do that with 6 classes. Not enough schools.
Old 01-12-2018, 04:10 PM
BGR Staff

Liked 580 Times in 411 Posts
Jarons will become famous soon enoughJarons will become famous soon enough
Just seeing if I am understanding this correctly. They taking away the east semi-final and the West semi-final.
For example, if last year's 1a semifinalists were seeded as
1. Beechwood
2. Raceland
3. Campbellsville
4. Pikeville
Semi-final 1
Pikeville at Beechwood
Semi-final 2
Campbellsville at Raceland ?
Old 01-12-2018, 04:54 PM
Starter
Liked 29 Times in 21 Posts
KentuckyHillBilly5321 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Jarons View Post
Just seeing if I am understanding this correctly. They taking away the east semi-final and the West semi-final.
For example, if last year's 1a semifinalists were seeded as
1. Beechwood
2. Raceland
3. Campbellsville
4. Pikeville
Semi-final 1
Pikeville at Beechwood
Semi-final 2
Campbellsville at Raceland ?
Campbellsville was 7-6, they would have been the 4 seed and traveled to Beechwood, instead of Beechwood playing at Campbellsville.
Send a private message to KentuckyHillBilly5321 Add KentuckyHillBilly5321 to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 05:19 PM
BGR Staff

Liked 580 Times in 411 Posts
Jarons will become famous soon enoughJarons will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by KentuckyHillBilly5321 View Post
Campbellsville was 7-6, they would have been the 4 seed and traveled to Beechwood, instead of Beechwood playing at Campbellsville.
The seeding that i put up was just a scenario to make it east/west semi. My question was that it is possible that a school from the east could play a school from the West in the semifinals based on the seeds. Correct?
Old 01-12-2018, 06:12 PM
Starter
Liked 29 Times in 21 Posts
KentuckyHillBilly5321 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Jarons View Post
The seeding that i put up was just a scenario to make it east/west semi. My question was that it is possible that a school from the east could play a school from the West in the semifinals based on the seeds. Correct?
Yes, it would be possible for a team from the far west, to have to travel to the mountains if that is the way the seeding fell.
Send a private message to KentuckyHillBilly5321 Add KentuckyHillBilly5321 to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 02:33 PM
Starter
Liked 410 Times in 264 Posts
Single Wing 77 is on a distinguished road
One thing I'd like to see is a coaches poll that helped level out the regional bias of the AP polls. Do you really think if Corbin and central are close at 2 and 3 this season that a Louisville columnist isn't going to give Central a bump. Same goes for any school that isn't located close to a metropolitan area.
rookie57 (01-21-2018)
Send a private message to Single Wing 77 Add Single Wing 77 to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 02:37 PM
2nd String
Liked 185 Times in 123 Posts
WhyLie is on a distinguished road
Seeding is a terrible idea! Wait and see.
footballfever (01-14-2018), Gitback Coach (01-13-2018), WILDCAT NATION (01-13-2018)
Send a private message to WhyLie Add WhyLie to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 04:15 PM
Head Coach

Location: Setting sail with Capt. Morgan and never leaving dry land
Liked 1,567 Times in 946 Posts
PHSForever is on a distinguished road
Terrible idea to implement it quickly. I would wait and work it into the 2019 season to align with new alignments. Would give them time to truly work out some sort of seeding process that would be more fair. Right now, the polls are all over the place from week to week based on factors such as having played a minimum two instate teams (hurts Belfry sometimes, as an example, even though they play quality out of state teams usually). Also, playing devils advocate here, if they DO count those out of state teams in rankings, then Pikeville playing Tolsia and Grundy could unfairly increase our rankings. I point that out just to show I’m not being a homer. Lol. If average of three polls were used, then for example a team that is a 2 in two polls and 5 in another because of out of state competition would would average a 3, while a team who is two in the same two polls but a 3 or 4 in the other poll would end up ranked higher (based on average). Make sense? This is why I think they need to take a little longer and create a solid system if this is the way they want to go.
WILDCAT NATION (01-13-2018)
Send a private message to PHSForever Add PHSForever to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 05:50 PM
Starter
Liked 325 Times in 228 Posts
plantmanky is on a distinguished road
KHSAA is rigging the State Championships, bottom line.
Send a private message to plantmanky Add plantmanky to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 06:07 PM
Starter
Yep, they're taking care of the good ole boys.
Send a private message to Single Wing 77 Add Single Wing 77 to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 08:07 PM
2nd String
Originally Posted by Single Wing 77 View Post
Yep, they're taking care of the good ole boys.
Not really sure what this means or who it's directed towards but once again, in Boyle Co's case we were slated to travel for Region title and semistate in back to back years and maybe again in 2019 after the realignment. I'm sure there are other teams in the same boat because of the cross bracketing mess. So this remedies this problem. You never heard me complain what we were facing next season, in fact, I was looking forward to the challenge and confident we would pull it out.

I gotta admit it'll be nice to be able to let our kids have a chance to play in front of the home town crowd for a chance to go to UK and defend our title.
Send a private message to FoSho Add FoSho to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 08:13 PM
2nd String
Originally Posted by plantmanky View Post
khsaa is rigging the state championships, bottom line.
🙄
Old 01-13-2018, 09:03 PM
Starter
Originally Posted by FoSho View Post
Not really sure what this means or who it's directed towards but once again, in Boyle Co's case we were slated to travel for Region title and semistate in back to back years and maybe again in 2019 after the realignment. I'm sure there are other teams in the same boat because of the cross bracketing mess. So this remedies this problem. You never heard me complain what we were facing next season, in fact, I was looking forward to the challenge and confident we would pull it out.

I gotta admit it'll be nice to be able to let our kids have a chance to play in front of the home town crowd for a chance to go to UK and defend our title.
It means exactly what you think it means. I agree that cross bracketing was stupid and I think this is more stupid. This doesn't fix cross bracketing, getting rid of cross bracketing is the only thing that will fix that. The seeding process will mean that the "darlings" of the state will never have to go on the road again for a semi state game. While I think Boyle benefits the most from it this season, my mind goes more to teams like Trinity, Mayfield, highlands (up until a few years ago), etc. Trinity will never go on the road for a semi state game again till this is changed. In most years neither will most of the perennial powers in the state. To be honest it won't make much of a difference as far as the outcomes of those trinity games go. I still think kids deserve a chance to play at home every couple years. I also don't like that teams won't know who they're playing Friday night after the region championships. How long will teams have to wait to know what the rankings are? Don't get me wrong Corbin will probably benefit from it too, especially when they get into 4a depending on who is there with them. I just don't like the whole situation, but last time I checked the khsaa wasn't asking me what I thought about stuff.

There are advantages to it as well. It increases the likelihood that the finals games good matchups, which will draw even more people to Lexington.
It puts more importance on playing a good schedule and winning games against tough teams. I do think it will bring a little more excitement to the title experience for the casual fan. It's not all bad, I just prefer the way it was before cross bracketing.
Old 01-13-2018, 09:41 PM
2nd String
Cross bracketing was stupid in hindsight. Maybe they realized that a team like Boyle was about to play on the road for quite possibly three straight seasons and this helps make it fair. So why not try and make it where they can play it home if they earn it?

If the goal is to have the two best teams play for the state title this (without question) helps in accomplishing that.

I actually love it. 😎
Old 01-13-2018, 09:50 PM
Cheerleader
Liked 55 Times in 42 Posts
AnswertheBell is on a distinguished road
Just play the games in regions and move on to semi and DO NOT put it in hands of the KHSAA. It will be a disaster. Mark it down. We want to get rankings out of College football and wanting to let it creep into high school? No Way this will turn out good.
Send a private message to AnswertheBell Add AnswertheBell to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 02:37 PM
Starter
Liked 157 Times in 122 Posts
WILDCAT NATION is on a distinguished road
Hearing that it has been a busy weekend of discussions/ texts/ phone calls among coaches from across the state in every class opposing this. Let's see how this plays out.
Send a private message to WILDCAT NATION Add WILDCAT NATION to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 03:09 PM
2nd String
They'll do whatever Chuck Smith says.
Old 01-15-2018, 03:17 PM
Equipment Manager
Liked 15 Times in 8 Posts
Time Will Tell is on a distinguished road
Don't let Vegas ruin high school athletics.
Send a private message to Time Will Tell Add Time Will Tell to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote

BGR-Kentucky High School Sports - BlueGrassRivals » Kentucky High School and Middle School Sports » Football