Rate This Thread - Best players ever from Eastern KY.

Like this thread? Help the BGR community grow by sharing it with your friends.

Old 03-14-2019, 04:58 PM
Scout Team
Liked 103 Times in 83 Posts
ArJay is on a distinguished road
Tim Couch
David Jones
Shawn Robbins
Send a private message to ArJay Add ArJay to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote

Click Here to become a member and join in on the discussions at BGR. Our membership is always 100% FREE.

Old 03-14-2019, 05:02 PM
Statistician
Liked 32 Times in 21 Posts
Basketballmom41 is on a distinguished road
Jesse Watts-QB-Sheldon Clark-University of Kentucky
Joey Stepp-Sheldon Clark- Marshall University (won National Championship)
Send a private message to Basketballmom41 Add Basketballmom41 to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 05:41 PM
Starter
Liked 408 Times in 301 Posts
OutlawJoseyWales is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by pjdoug View Post
i tried to be nice and resist, but couldn't. Lol

😂😂😂😂😂
Send a private message to OutlawJoseyWales Add OutlawJoseyWales to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 10:08 PM
Head Coach

Liked 881 Times in 634 Posts
Do-double-gg is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Batpuff View Post
Mike West - Lawrence Co
Dontate Wright - Lawrence Co
G. Parker - Lawrence Co
Phillip Ratliff - Lawrence Co
Nick Meadows - Lawrence Co
Lee Abshire - Lawrence Co
Jason Michael Lawrence Co
Allan Short - Lawrence Co

Are just a few and three of them went on to win National Titles at there respected level of college play.
A lot of good athletes were churned out at Lawrence Co. In the 90's. Jason Michaels was the most underrated Qb I have ever seen and his college career proves that. Michael west was the fastest white kid I have ever seen and was never ran down from behind in his career, Marshall recruited him for his speed alone. Nick meadows might have been the most naturally talented RB I have ever seen. He had all the moves and footwork and elusiveness but just didn't have next level speed. Gerrod Parker was and still is the best receiver to come out of the mountain area hands down and second place isn't even very close. The numbers and records he put up one would think he was in a powerful passing attack and got the ball every time but in fact he was in a belly option offense that was run first. In every year he played the QB, TB and FB all had 1000 yard plus seasons and the TB's had 2000 yard seasons. That tells you that he made the best of every opportunity and never dropped the ball. He had the national career receiving record or something like that. Dontae Wright was the best all around athlete I have ever seen and could play any position on the field. Another good one was Jared Hostetter who got a full ride at the university of Tennessee when Tennessee was still a top 5 program. More recently Tyler Combs was a good one who played defensive line for Marshall. One that a lot of people forget about was Fred Dean. The kid could have gone just about anywhere but chose to go to the semipro's and received a devastating career ending neck injury.
Send a private message to Do-double-gg Add Do-double-gg to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 10:44 PM
Head Coach

Liked 881 Times in 634 Posts
Do-double-gg is on a distinguished road
This is going to ruffle a few feathers and don't get me wrong Tim Couch was hands down the best QB by far but far from the best athlete or player. Many kids from this area dominated their respective positions just as good or better then he did. In my opinion the QB position is easiest to do well at at the college level and not need to be a great athlete if that makes any sense. Positions like TB or WR or CB or LB you need to be an elite athlete with elite speed and strength and things like that. He had a solid college career in a very wild offense. It wasn't called the air raid for no reason. I think people bring up his number one draft status a little to much because he was obviously not the best player in that draft class. Many NFL players from that class went on to have great long careers but his was a flop at best.
Send a private message to Do-double-gg Add Do-double-gg to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 11:26 PM
Starter
Originally Posted by Do-double-gg View Post
This is going to ruffle a few feathers and don't get me wrong Tim Couch was hands down the best QB by far but far from the best athlete or player. Many kids from this area dominated their respective positions just as good or better then he did. In my opinion the QB position is easiest to do well at at the college level and not need to be a great athlete if that makes any sense. Positions like TB or WR or CB or LB you need to be an elite athlete with elite speed and strength and things like that. He had a solid college career in a very wild offense. It wasn't called the air raid for no reason. I think people bring up his number one draft status a little to much because he was obviously not the best player in that draft class. Many NFL players from that class went on to have great long careers but his was a flop at best.
Don’t want to “ruffle your feathers”......but you’re out of your mind. The list begins and ends with Tim Couch. Why even try to argue that???

There have been a lot of great players to come out of all kinds of mountain schools....Bell, Breathitt, Belfry, Paintsville, Corbin, Pikeville Prestonsburg, Johnson Central, Lawrence Co and if u want to throw Ashland in there (even though they ARE NOT a mountain school...and that list can go on and on. But no one....and I mean NO ONE compares to Tim Couch. The closest would be Rick Kestner—-who was All-SEC and played in the NFL....but that’s not even close .
Send a private message to OutlawJoseyWales Add OutlawJoseyWales to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 11:45 PM
Starter
Honestly....your post comes off like you’re a little butt hurt over something when it comes to Couch.

In all fairness to him....he was drafted by an expansion team that allowed him to get hit and or sacked well over 140 times his rookie year. The beatings he took quickly led to the demise of his career....but he still led the Browns to the playoffs. Granted he had a disappointing career...but a career cut short by injury. To say he was a flop is somewhat unfair in my estimation. But again....your butt hurtness is shining thru 😂😂😂
Old 03-15-2019, 12:39 AM
All BlueGrass Rivals

Liked 3,784 Times in 2,983 Posts
pjdoug is on a distinguished road
I usually agree with you, but you are talking out the wrong on this one. His career was a flop because he was drafted by the Cleveland Browns. You'd flop like a fish too if you got hit like a truck hitting you by the defense every play.
Old 03-15-2019, 12:43 AM
All BlueGrass Rivals

Originally Posted by OutlawJoseyWales View Post
Don’t want to “ruffle your feathers”......but you’re out of your mind. The list begins and ends with Tim Couch. Why even try to argue that???

There have been a lot of great players to come out of all kinds of mountain schools....Bell, Breathitt, Belfry, Paintsville, Corbin, Pikeville Prestonsburg, Johnson Central, Lawrence Co and if u want to throw Ashland in there (even though they ARE NOT a mountain school...and that list can go on and on. But no one....and I mean NO ONE compares to Tim Couch. The closest would be Rick Kestner—-who was All-SEC and played in the NFL....but that’s not even close .
I've been disappointed a lot over the years watching my Colonels lose to some great teams and great players in the playoffs. Tim Couch was one of those greats, I was sad to see my team lose, but it was a pleasure to get to watch a once in a lifetime talent such as him in his little hometown of Hyden,KY.
Old 03-15-2019, 01:00 AM
Starter
Originally Posted by pjdoug View Post
I've been disappointed a lot over the years watching my Colonels lose to some great teams and great players in the playoffs. Tim Couch was one of those greats, I was sad to see my team lose, but it was a pleasure to get to watch a once in a lifetime talent such as him in his little hometown of Hyden,KY.
First time I saw Couch play was his freshman year at Belfry. Belfry has a big lead....35-45 pt lead....suddenly Couch comes in....and begins lighting us up. Despite the big lead we barely hung on to win. We never beat him again to my recollection. He was, by far the best HS quarterback I have ever seen.....and I’ve seen a lot of them....in a lot of different states. He was that special.
Old 03-15-2019, 01:21 AM
All BlueGrass Rivals

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcgHtq27nnM
Old 03-15-2019, 01:22 AM
All BlueGrass Rivals

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gt97GQB3_Fg
Old 03-16-2019, 07:07 PM
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
SAD SAM is on a distinguished road
Breathitt Bobcats

Justin haddix wku
Shorty combs eku
John radar UK
Channing fugate ut
Send a private message to SAD SAM Add SAD SAM to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:31 AM
BGR Staff

Liked 3,738 Times in 2,079 Posts
EKUAlum05 is just really niceEKUAlum05 is just really niceEKUAlum05 is just really niceEKUAlum05 is just really niceEKUAlum05 is just really nice
I have yet to see a more impressive HS Quarterback than Couch.

His ability to throw accurate on intermediate timing stuff and to hit the deep stuff was truly a special gift.

Couch and Randy Moss were both players that when you watched them in High School you immediately knew you were witnessing greatness.
Nygfan106wins (Yesterday)
Send a private message to EKUAlum05 Add EKUAlum05 to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote

BGR-Kentucky High School Sports - BlueGrassRivals » Kentucky High School and Middle School Sports » Football