Rate This Thread - Best HS Gym In The State Of KY.

Like this thread? Help the BGR community grow by sharing it with your friends.

Old 11-17-2008, 07:44 PM
2nd String
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
PATS2011 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by LOOKAYANNER View Post
Good facility, but they have a huge problem getting 5000 people back on the road. There's only one exit route from their gym. Everything bottlenecks at the one outlet. We waited over an hour in traffic to get back on the highway at a region tourney once. That's why I can't rank Knott's gym very high. They need to do something about that.
Perry Central has a much better venue. And so does Powell County, as far as traffic is concerned. It seats a lot, but that's about it.
There have been some discussions about fixing this issue, but none have ever been initiated yet... it does need to be fixed. The plan was to take out the mountain on across the road from the entrance to KCC's campus and create a four lane road with turning lanes, and possibly new entrances... but who knows when that will happen?
Send a private message to PATS2011 Add PATS2011 to Your Contacts Top of page

Click Here to become a member and join in on the discussions at BGR. Our membership is always 100% FREE.

Old 11-17-2008, 07:44 PM
2nd String
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Goldylox View Post
i don't know alot about many other gym's but if there is one that beats harlan county's i would be suprised!!!!!
KCC's still does......
Old 11-17-2008, 07:46 PM
2nd String
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HC BLACK BEARS View Post

I take it you've not seen Harlan County's new gym.
It still doesn't compare.. not even close in capacity. For a new school they should have built better...
Old 11-17-2008, 07:49 PM
2nd String
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm not talking about seat capacity as far as the biggest (it seats about 3600 --- chair back seats all the way around the floor..........you could get 5000 in it easy, if say you had the regional tournament) ----- I'm talking size wise - you will just have to come see it. It's something else!
with standing room.. KCC can almost seat 5500.
Old 11-17-2008, 07:52 PM
2nd String
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ladypatriot55 View Post
I've been told that they were supposed to take the side of the mountain out next to the car wash and put another way in and out of kcc. but it hasn't happened yet.......
i heard the same
Old 11-17-2008, 07:53 PM
2nd String
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by charmagg58 View Post
i say LCC has the best gym
not a chance.. its extremely inconvenient during the day.... plus the seating isnt all that great.
Old 11-18-2008, 04:25 AM
Equipment Manager
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
HC BLACK BEARS is on a distinguished road
Bias or no bias - I have been in every gym that has been mentioned on this thread and they all are really nice------but------You just need to come see Harlan County's new gym to appreciate it. It's SOMETHING else!!!!!!!
Send a private message to HC BLACK BEARS Add HC BLACK BEARS to Your Contacts Top of page
Old 11-18-2008, 05:47 AM
Starter
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
goodguy is on a distinguished road
Bias or no bias - I have been in every gym that has been mentioned on this thread and they all are really nice------but------You just need to come see Harlan County's new gym to appreciate it. It's SOMETHING else!!!!!!!
I'm sure your are right. But most on here are at a disadvantage, Harlan's gym is new and few have seen it. Not many people will drive to Harlan to watch a game unless the team they are supporting is playing there. However, it sounds nice, hope to get the opportunity to see it.
Send a private message to goodguy Add goodguy to Your Contacts Top of page
Old 11-18-2008, 07:29 AM
Administrator

Liked 136 Times in 90 Posts
BCF4L has a spectacular aura aboutBCF4L has a spectacular aura aboutBCF4L has a spectacular aura about
Best gym I have been in or played in was Scott Co's gym. It's just a magical atmosphere and the facilities are top notch. I haven't been in the gym in a few years, but I'm sure it hasn't changed one bit.

Prestonsburg has a nice gym, but I wish they would take out the bleachers and put seats with backs. It is very uncomfortable sitting in that gym. Lucky for me, I always had cushioned seats on the court.

I also always thought Pike Central had a nice gym. It was very difficult to shoot in though due to the background. Same goes with Betsy Layne.
Send a private message to BCF4L Add BCF4L to Your Contacts Top of page
Old 11-18-2008, 08:27 AM
Water Boy
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
jumpman_23 is on a distinguished road
i really enjoy playing at befry...they have a really nice all around gym and so, does letcher co. central...
Send a private message to jumpman_23 Add jumpman_23 to Your Contacts Top of page
Old 11-18-2008, 12:07 PM
Equipment Manager
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
threeball42 is on a distinguished road
I think Belfry has a nice gym. It still has the new look for now which helps out.
Send a private message to threeball42 Add threeball42 to Your Contacts Top of page
Old 11-18-2008, 02:32 PM
Statistician
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Uncle Fester is on a distinguished road
Shelby Valley has the nicest in the 15th Region, pretty easily in my opinion. Prestonsburg has a nice gym. I can't stand East Ridge or Belfry's gym. Nicest in the state probably goes to Scott County, and I like Mason County Fieldhouse too.
Send a private message to Uncle Fester Add Uncle Fester to Your Contacts Top of page
Old 11-18-2008, 06:48 PM
Statistician
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
sacbunt is on a distinguished road
Mason's Fieldhouse holds 6200 and there are very good crowds for every home game.
Send a private message to sacbunt Add sacbunt to Your Contacts Top of page
Old 11-18-2008, 07:02 PM
Water Boy
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
SportsFanatic71 is on a distinguished road
Default I would take Montgomery Co. gym
I would take Montgomery Co. gym, great facility!

Last edited by BlackcatAlum; 11-18-2008 at 07:56 PM.
Send a private message to SportsFanatic71 Add SportsFanatic71 to Your Contacts Top of page
Old 11-18-2008, 07:50 PM
BGR Staff/2008 Football Pick'em Champion

Liked 254 Times in 178 Posts
More Cowbell has a spectacular aura aboutMore Cowbell has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
Shelby Valley has the nicest in the 15th Region, pretty easily in my opinion. Prestonsburg has a nice gym. I can't stand East Ridge or Belfry's gym. Nicest in the state probably goes to Scott County, and I like Mason County Fieldhouse too.
I would disagree with that. I don't particularly care for SV's gym. To me, it was very poorly designed. The only way to access the upper arena is from 4 corner stairwells, and that's it. Plus, they had to remove a lot of seats from each side to put in fire escapes (which were not in the original version of the building). I also think that it was built with too small a capacity, but that usually isn't an issue until district rolls around.

I remember the atmosphere at the old Virgie gym was amazing, and even when SV played there the first few years it still drew packed houses with loud fans. Once they moved over to the new facility, something was lost in the process.

For a program that prides itself on being a "basketball school", they deserve a much better arena. The really weird part is SV has one of the nicer football fields around. Yet the basketball arena is not even the best in Pike County (that would be Pike Central).
Send a private message to More Cowbell Add More Cowbell to Your Contacts Top of page
Old 11-18-2008, 08:18 PM
Statistician
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Uncle Fester is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by More Cowbell View Post
I would disagree with that. I don't particularly care for SV's gym. To me, it was very poorly designed. The only way to access the upper arena is from 4 corner stairwells, and that's it. Plus, they had to remove a lot of seats from each side to put in fire escapes (which were not in the original version of the building). I also think that it was built with too small a capacity, but that usually isn't an issue until district rolls around.

I remember the atmosphere at the old Virgie gym was amazing, and even when SV played there the first few years it still drew packed houses with loud fans. Once they moved over to the new facility, something was lost in the process.

For a program that prides itself on being a "basketball school", they deserve a much better arena. The really weird part is SV has one of the nicer football fields around. Yet the basketball arena is not even the best in Pike County (that would be Pike Central).
I guess we'll agree to disagree. I think that SV has one of the nicest gyms. Nice seats, big capacity when the upper arena is open, good floor, and atmosphere.

I think Pike Central is one of the worst gyms in the Region, so I guess it is all just a matter of opinion.
Send a private message to Uncle Fester Add Uncle Fester to Your Contacts Top of page
Old 11-19-2008, 08:34 AM
Asst. Coach
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
kybaseball is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by sc06cheer View Post

this is the picture listed on the schools site. Someone had pictures up on their myspace, but I'm having trouble finding them. So this at least gives you a little glimpse of it!

WOW!!!!!!!! that is what a gym is suppose to look like. I love the seats.
Send a private message to kybaseball Add kybaseball to Your Contacts Top of page
Old 11-19-2008, 08:46 AM
Asst. Coach
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BasketBallonlyfan View Post
You can park out behind the school walk in a door and be down at court level, or you can come in at the front of the school and walk right in to the top level. The only way you have do the steps is if you prefer to sit in the middle.
That's crazy in a good way. Could you post some pic's I would love to see that set up.
Send a private message to kybaseball Add kybaseball to Your Contacts Top of page
Old 11-19-2008, 09:12 AM
Statistician
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Beamerball is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by kybaseball View Post
That's an artist rendering of the gym before it was built, the actual is on down the page.
Send a private message to Beamerball Add Beamerball to Your Contacts Top of page
Old 11-19-2008, 05:51 PM
Starter
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
mcfan1 is on a distinguished road
No gym or atmosphere compares to that of the Mason County Fieldhouse, watching a bigtime game there is unreal.
Send a private message to mcfan1 Add mcfan1 to Your Contacts Top of page
Old 11-29-2008, 01:43 AM
Asst. Coach
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Beamerball View Post
That's an artist rendering of the gym before it was built, the actual is on down the page.
Where at I do not see any more pics?
Old 12-02-2008, 08:55 AM
Water Boy
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ball like swoosh is on a distinguished road
yea mason's is good
Send a private message to I ball like swoosh Add I ball like swoosh to Your Contacts Top of page
Old 12-02-2008, 07:48 PM
Water Boy
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hazard_tailgater2010 is on a distinguished road
Hazard's Memorial Gym may not be the prettiest, biggest, or most convenient lol, but it gets so loud in there and the atmosphere is something i dont think any other small school in the state can compare to
Send a private message to hazard_tailgater2010 Add hazard_tailgater2010 to Your Contacts Top of page
Old 12-02-2008, 07:59 PM
Head Coach
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
EKY Sportster is on a distinguished road
My favorite in the 15th is Pike Central. It is comfortable and the atmosphere is nice. I also like Johnson Central (but the bleachers kill you). Lawrence Co. isn't bad either. Betsy Layne is unique!! And P-burg has a nice gym. But for comfort and atmosphere, I have to go with Pike Central.
Send a private message to EKY Sportster Add EKY Sportster to Your Contacts Top of page
Old 12-02-2008, 08:03 PM
2nd String
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Junk Yard Dog is on a distinguished road
That is what a gym should look like. It should be used as a model for new schools consolidating IMO
Send a private message to Junk Yard Dog Add Junk Yard Dog to Your Contacts Top of page
Old 12-02-2008, 08:34 PM
Statistician
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Beamerball is on a distinguished road
Where at I do not see any more pics?
This one...

http://dwwilburn.com/UserFiles/Image...te%20025-1.jpg
Send a private message to Beamerball Add Beamerball to Your Contacts Top of page
Old 12-02-2008, 08:36 PM
Head Coach
Liked 102 Times in 72 Posts
Blue-N-Gold is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by hazard_tailgater2010 View Post
Hazard's Memorial Gym may not be the prettiest, biggest, or most convenient lol, but it gets so loud in there and the atmosphere is something i dont think any other small school in the state can compare to
I agree. The atmosphere at Memorial Gymnasium is awesome. I'm sure a lot of people wouldn't agree but to a Bulldog Memorial Gym is a special place. I think we're losing a lot of the old-fashioned, traditional basketball game feeling with these bigger, modern gyms. And this is just my opinion, but I think that no matter how new, or how big, or how nice, or how modern, or how much parking they have if spectators have to walk across the floor of a gym that gym should be torn down. All gyms should have a rail around the floor and you should have to enter the seating area from the top.
Send a private message to Blue-N-Gold Add Blue-N-Gold to Your Contacts Top of page
Old 12-02-2008, 09:11 PM
2nd String
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Junk Yard Dog is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Blue-N-Gold View Post
I agree. The atmosphere at Memorial Gymnasium is awesome. I'm sure a lot of people wouldn't agree but to a Bulldog Memorial Gym is a special place. I think we're losing a lot of the old-fashioned, traditional basketball game feeling with these bigger, modern gyms. And this is just my opinion, but I think that no matter how new, or how big, or how nice, or how modern, or how much parking they have if spectators have to walk across the floor of a gym that gym should be torn down. All gyms should have a rail around the floor and you should have to enter the seating area from the top.
Well said, and I couldn't agree more!

I can see some improvements being made though
Send a private message to Junk Yard Dog Add Junk Yard Dog to Your Contacts Top of page
Old 12-02-2008, 10:09 PM
Asst. Coach

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
C.Clair is on a distinguished road
Breathitt has a great Gym. There isnt another one like it in the state.
Send a private message to C.Clair Add C.Clair to Your Contacts Top of page
Old 12-02-2008, 10:18 PM
Asst. Coach
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Beamerball View Post
This one...

http://dwwilburn.com/UserFiles/Image...te%20025-1.jpg
Thank you for the pic.Now that's what I call a gym.

BGR-Kentucky High School Sports - BlueGrassRivals » Off Topic » Classic BlueGrassRivals