Rate This Thread - Floyd Central Coaching Controversy.

Like this thread? Help the BGR community grow by sharing it with your friends.

Old 12-11-2018, 02:18 PM
Statistician
Liked 30 Times in 22 Posts
cadets1988 is on a distinguished road
people are just plain soft.
trainer (12-11-2018)
Send a private message to cadets1988 Add cadets1988 to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote

Click Here to become a member and join in on the discussions at BGR. Our membership is always 100% FREE.

Old 12-11-2018, 04:28 PM
Starter
Liked 322 Times in 220 Posts
Iam4thecats is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by SouthEast18 View Post
If you all think this is about “language or abuse” get your head out of the ground. This is about one thing. Justin Holbrook. I really feel like Justin should’ve been the coach and earned it at SF but this is an attempt to force the hand. Kevin is an ******* but he’s also a heck of a coach and he never had a chance. Those kids didn’t buy in last year and didn’t want to this year so they quit. I don’t agree with all Kevin did and said but at the core this is an attempt at a takeover by the parents to get their SF guy. Most of the kids who quit played at SF or were from left beaver. Most of the kids who stayed were right beaver boys. I think Justin should’ve been and still should be the coach but is this the way you want it to happen?
There it is! The curtain pulled back.
Send a private message to Iam4thecats Add Iam4thecats to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 05:59 PM
Statistician
i don't care why they quit. what i do know is that if i were the kids that stayed I would not want those guys in my locker room. They quit on there team mates. They stood for nothing. its self serving. Wanna feel bad for someone feel bad for the kids that honored there commitment to the team.
Easy Wind (Yesterday), Iam4thecats (Yesterday), JerryGarcia (Today), Westside (12-11-2018), Wheatfarmer (Yesterday)
Send a private message to cadets1988 Add cadets1988 to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 07:17 PM
Asst. Coach
Liked 64 Times in 51 Posts
Tailback44 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by cadets1988 View Post
i don't care why they quit. what i do know is that if i were the kids that stayed I would not want those guys in my locker room. They quit on there team mates. They stood for nothing. its self serving. Wanna feel bad for someone feel bad for the kids that honored there commitment to the team.
Pretty good point.
rojas (12-11-2018)
Send a private message to Tailback44 Add Tailback44 to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 11:08 PM
Statistician
Liked 36 Times in 26 Posts
K40 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by BallFan1952 View Post
What NBA team does Justin play for?
How much money do you make playing basketball?
Baseballnumber1fan (Yesterday), Welcome (Yesterday), Wildcatk23 (Yesterday)
Send a private message to K40 Add K40 to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:26 AM
Contact Stardust For Help

Liked 978 Times in 711 Posts
Wildcatk23 has a spectacular aura aboutWildcatk23 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Wildcatk23 Send a message via Yahoo to Wildcatk23
Originally Posted by Tailback44 View Post
Reread my post, i said "pro" never said NBA. Even if oversea he is still playing professional. Nice try though.
And a **** good kid that has every right to stand up for his past coach .
Tailback44 (Yesterday), Welcome (Yesterday)
Send a private message to Wildcatk23 Add Wildcatk23 to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:05 AM
Statistician
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Superfly is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by UpYours View Post
You are correct life does go on with or without you.

My question to everyone is this::: Why is it ok for Football, Basketball and Baseball coaches to verbally, physically and mental mistreat kids?

You never hear of a "coach"/"sponsor" of the Debate Team say "how F'ing retarded are you", "can't you answer 1 F'ing question correct". Or the band teacher tell a kid to stick a flute where the sun don't shine.

Times have changed and kids nor their parent like being mistreated or embarrassed. And if you are a parent that doesn't have a problem with other adults mistreating you child then you obviously shouldn't be a parent.
If a coach is demeaning a player it just isn't right. If the coach is getting on the teams butt
Or players butt then I find that ok if the coach is trying to make the team and players better As long as the coach is not being demeaning or verbally abusive or physically abusive. I don't see why kids and parents today are so sensitive. I don't know the situation there but if a coach is not on a teams butt or players butt then the team probably isn't any good or the parents with the $$$ run the team and they still aren't any good. If there is structure in practice and in games and there is not any verbal abuse but the coach is getting in their tails because of lack ofeffort,or playing dirty,or not listening then that's a different story. Guess everyone will have to wait and see but 9 players quitting is definitely an eye opener and definitely needs investigated by an outside source.
Send a private message to Superfly Add Superfly to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:47 AM
Equipment Manager
Liked 24 Times in 15 Posts
BallFan1952 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by K40 View Post
How much money do you make playing basketball?
None, Zero, $000.00, how about you?
Send a private message to BallFan1952 Add BallFan1952 to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:57 AM
Statistician
None, Zero, $000.00, how about you?
None but I'm not the one yawning over a highly successful professional athlete from my own state just because it isn't the NBA. Dude is getting paid, show him the respect he deserves.
Send a private message to K40 Add K40 to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:05 AM
"Based on a True Story"

Liked 2,126 Times in 1,464 Posts
Pulp Fiction is just really nicePulp Fiction is just really nicePulp Fiction is just really nicePulp Fiction is just really nice
Are there any updates with this situation worth noting?

- Have any more players quit or come back to the team?
- Has Spurlock served his three game suspension?

Please don't speculate or say something like the beginning from the classic REO Speedwagon song "Heard it from a friend, who heard it from a friend who heard it from another......"
Old Yesterday, 11:31 AM
Equipment Manager
Liked 24 Times in 15 Posts
BallFan1952 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Tailback44 View Post
Reread my post, i said "pro" never said NBA. Even if oversea he is still playing professional. Nice try though.
My bad on the NBA vs Pro word, however I would still like know where and how Justin is doing? I lost track of him when he left Sheldon Clark, he was a friend and classmate of one my kids and has been to our home more times than I can count to swim, eat and to just hang out with his friends, but as you may know kids grow up, go in different and sometimes lose track of high school friends and classmates.

The Justin I knew was a good kid and I feel sure he has grown into a fine young man. If you know Justin then you would also know he had other interests than just basketball, and I feel IMO, him leaving Sheldon Clark was a mistake to follow Kevin Spurlock to PCC even though his mom got great job. Justin played there 2 years but Kevin Spurlock only lasted 1 year as his coach before he was gone and I'm sure that a good story.
Send a private message to BallFan1952 Add BallFan1952 to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:41 AM
Statistician
My bad on the NBA vs Pro word, however I would still like know where and how Justin is doing? I lost track of him when he left Sheldon Clark, he was a friend and classmate of one my kids and has been to our home more times than I can count to swim, eat and to just hang out with his friends, but as you may know kids grow up, go in different and sometimes lose track of high school friends and classmates.

The Justin I knew was a good kid and I feel sure he has grown into a fine young man. If you know Justin then you would also know he had other interests than just basketball, and I feel IMO, him leaving Sheldon Clark was a mistake to follow Kevin Spurlock to PCC even though his mom got great job. Justin played there 2 years but Kevin Spurlock only lasted 1 year as his coach before he was gone and I'm sure that a good story.
Justin is doing great -- he really grew into a competitor with an impressive presence in the paint. He is currently playing basketball overseas and earning a nice living, will be getting married next year, too.

Please don't allow the Sheldon Clark transfer situation to give you a jaded stance on this matter. Justin defended Spurlock maybe because he trusted the whole process behind buying in to your coaches methods and it has paid off for him in big ways. Maybe not all kids will get those same results but I think that Justin's point was that finding a way to accept criticism (no matter the delivery) as a young person -- and turning it into a way to improve -- will help you in every aspect of your life.

Most of these allegations were found to be exaggerated upon investigation. The 3 game suspension was appropriate and I feel like Spurlock deserves a chance to improve his approach to suit today's type of kid... because whether or not any of us want to admit it -- kids today are much different than kids of just 10 years ago.

There was no physical or sexual abuse here to speak of and most of the verbal allegations may or may not have happened, so running someone out of town on a rail is probably not appropriate here. Imagine if you were fired for every single misstep you've made in your life?
BoondockSaint (Today), Iam4thecats (Yesterday), Welcome (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 12:35 PM
Head Coach

Location: Setting sail with Capt. Morgan and never leaving dry land
Liked 1,678 Times in 1,008 Posts
PHSForever is on a distinguished road
Once had an assistant coach in high school grab me by the neck, tell me to get my "f***ing" head out of my a@@ and he and I nearly threw hands right there on the spot. All because someone else had the after game stats he wanted, not me. To this day, I DESPISE that person. But it didn't ruin my life. It also reinforces my opinion and respect for the coaches who CAN cuss, but never demean a player by cussing them out just to cuss them out. Can't tell you how many times I heard or saw a coach cussing up a storm on the sideline, then when the player is in front of them, they may dress them down, but NEVER demean. It was always about if the player did contrary to the play call or coaching, and meant to correct. Usually, the player was put right back in and given a chance to prove they learned from it.

It is an old school view maybe, but I'm used to seeing a coach be fired up and emotional, but honestly except for the one incident I mentioned, I've never seen a coach demean a player like what has been alleged (publicly). Heck, that's even including old Danny Adams, who could cuss and throw a fit with the BEST of them (I've lost track of how many clipboards I saw him break, and at least one or two chalkboards in the locker rooms), but I loved the man because I knew he wanted the best for everyone of his kids. To this day still one of my favorite people ever, haven't seen him in years.

Last edited by PHSForever; Yesterday at 12:43 PM. Reason: spacing
Send a private message to PHSForever Add PHSForever to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:40 PM
Starter
Liked 384 Times in 237 Posts
Cat Daddy is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by cadets1988 View Post
I agree with everything you said. One would think, if it was as bad as everyone is saying, why did the other players continue to play?
cadets1988 (Yesterday)
Send a private message to Cat Daddy Add Cat Daddy to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:19 PM
Statistician
it sounds to me that the players, probably there parents, as well want to have a favorite in the area coach the group. You had a second group that just wanted to play. Here it is, If those jack *** kids took a step back in the locker room I can assure that when I played they would have paid the price. We didn't tolerate those kind of actions. It would be one thing if one to three kids quit. But when 9 quit then I call foul. I say that the motives are not genuine. Those in charge of this coach said that they felt the three games was enough. It was the coach himself that gave a 4th. I have great respect for the kids that stayed and were not influenced by the weak. For the weak, if you came back, Id make you dress in street clothes and sit and watch the entire year. Id teach you about life.
Old Yesterday, 09:58 PM
Statistician
Liked 23 Times in 21 Posts
DarrinC is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by CardinalAlum View Post
Can’t be washed up if you’ve never been anything 🤷🏻*♂️
That is true I guess but I was going by if he ever was he’s washed up now lol
Send a private message to DarrinC Add DarrinC to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:36 PM
Statistician
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Superfly is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Pulp Fiction View Post

Please don't speculate or say something like the beginning from the classic REO Speedwagon song "Heard it from a friend, who heard it from a friend who heard it from another......"
r

I just sang that part
Send a private message to Superfly Add Superfly to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:53 AM
Scout Team
Liked 59 Times in 41 Posts
BoondockSaint is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by UpYours View Post
Excellent post. You see the fault in your actions and owned them. If Kevin is at fault (don't know the facts and not saying he is) he should own them, apologize and accept the repercussion.

We all say things in the heat of the moment, I know I have. As a parent there's been many of times I wished I'd handle things differently. But I learned from those mistakes and didn't repeat them daily.

Just like our pastor says "you can't sin every day and ask for forgiveness over the same sin", "if you do, it's not coming from the heart".

Lastly, my response to Mr. Justin Johnson and his support of Coach Spurlock. I'm glad you love your coach and support him, everyone deserves to feel that way about their coach. Kevin may have done everything right for you and your life but it doesn't dismiss or allow him to drop the ball on these kids. A coach can get it right 99 times out of 100 but that 1 individual doesn't deserve to be left out, especially if that 1 is your child.
Am I the only one that can’t get past the irony of your username being UpYours? Pastor approved I presume?

Stay classy my friend, stay classy.
Send a private message to BoondockSaint Add BoondockSaint to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:48 AM
Cheerleader
Liked 103 Times in 78 Posts
Blacksmith is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Pulp Fiction View Post

Actually it’s been oddly quite. Even in this part of the world(FC country)I think he’s served three of the games now. Final suspension game should be Friday at pburg
Send a private message to Blacksmith Add Blacksmith to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:09 AM
Water Boy
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Equaltonone is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by SouthEast18 View Post
If you all think this is about “language or abuse” get your head out of the ground. This is about one thing. Justin Holbrook. I really feel like Justin should’ve been the coach and earned it at SF but this is an attempt to force the hand. Kevin is an ******* but he’s also a heck of a coach and he never had a chance. Those kids didn’t buy in last year and didn’t want to this year so they quit. I don’t agree with all Kevin did and said but at the core this is an attempt at a takeover by the parents to get their SF guy. Most of the kids who quit played at SF or were from left beaver. Most of the kids who stayed were right beaver boys. I think Justin should’ve been and still should be the coach but is this the way you want it to happen?
Most of the speculation on this thread is just that, speculation. Just by looking at last years team roster/poster There are 28 players (seven seniors) Of the 21 players remaining only eight are from SF. The remaining are AC players, first year transfers that did not return or transferred again. (this can be easily verified) Granted I may have missed a face or two. Stop saying this is a Coach Holbrook issue. That’s complete BS.
Send a private message to Equaltonone Add Equaltonone to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote

BGR-Kentucky High School Sports - BlueGrassRivals » Kentucky High School and Middle School Sports » Boys Basketball