View Poll Results: Who is the King?
Johnson Central 5 12.50%
Belfry 18 45.00%
Corbin 14 35.00%
Pikeville 1 2.50%
Harlan County 1 2.50%
Other (Specify below in a comment) 1 2.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Rate This Thread - Who Is the King Of The Mountains For 2017?.

Like this thread? Help the BGR community grow by sharing it with your friends.

Old 12-03-2017, 12:09 PM
All BlueGrass Rivals

Liked 1,067 Times in 724 Posts
Westside is on a distinguished road
Default Who Is the King Of The Mountains For 2017?
Who in your opinion should be the king of mountains for 2017? We didn't have a state champion come out of the mountains this year so I think this topic is open for debate? Should it be Belfry, Corbin, Harlan County, Johnson Central, Paintsville, or Pikeville? Should some other school be considered? What is your opinion?

Last edited by Spud6; 12-03-2017 at 06:06 PM.
Send a private message to Westside Add Westside to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote

Click Here to become a member and join in on the discussions at BGR. Our membership is always 100% FREE.

Old 12-03-2017, 12:33 PM
2nd String
Liked 163 Times in 130 Posts
PRIDE101 is on a distinguished road
This year the award goes to JC .
Send a private message to PRIDE101 Add PRIDE101 to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 12:55 PM
Head Coach
Liked 473 Times in 384 Posts
99PIRATEFAN is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by PRIDE101 View Post
This year the award goes to JC .

You could but that but 35 to 19 loss to the Pirates say they arenít
Send a private message to 99PIRATEFAN Add 99PIRATEFAN to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 01:22 PM

Liked 831 Times in 656 Posts
Spud6 is a jewel in the roughSpud6 is a jewel in the roughSpud6 is a jewel in the rough
I’m going Corbin if you all consider them a mountain team. If not them, then Belfry. I can’t put Johnson Central over Belfry because they lost head to head. And I’m putting Corbin over Belfry because they took down a team that absolutely spanked Belfry and you never hear those words in the same sentence. I gave Corbin zero chance against Central after seeing what they did to Belfry and I’m glad they proved me wrong. Nice to see mountain teams in state championship games, wish they could have brought it back though.
Send a private message to Spud6 Add Spud6 to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 01:34 PM
Head Coach
Liked 473 Times in 384 Posts
99PIRATEFAN is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Spud6 View Post
Iím going Corbin if you all consider them a mountain team. If not them, then Belfry. I canít put Johnson Central over Belfry because they lost head to head. And Iím putting Corbin over Belfry because they took down a team that absolutely spanked Belfry and you never hear those words in the same sentence. I gave Corbin zero chance against Central after seeing what they did to Belfry and Iím glad they proved me wrong. Nice to see mountain teams in state championship games, wish they could have brought it back though.

Excuses are like a$$holes but we had Key players not playing against Central and I know of two playing hurt the injury bug hit us at the wrong time
Send a private message to 99PIRATEFAN Add 99PIRATEFAN to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 01:37 PM
Scout Team
Liked 122 Times in 91 Posts
Bobcat4years is an unknown quantity at this point
1. Corbin
2. Belfry
3. Johnson Central
4. Harlan Co
5. Pikeville
smoke1015 (12-03-2017)
Send a private message to Bobcat4years Add Bobcat4years to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 01:41 PM
Scout Team
Liked 122 Times in 91 Posts
Bobcat4years is an unknown quantity at this point
Belfry has dominated the Montains and probably should be the King, but based on finishing 2017 season I would say Redhounds
Send a private message to Bobcat4years Add Bobcat4years to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 02:11 PM
BGR Staff

Liked 5,701 Times in 3,602 Posts
Granny Bear is a jewel in the roughGranny Bear is a jewel in the roughGranny Bear is a jewel in the rough
NO!!!!!!

It should be ME!!!
Old 12-03-2017, 02:29 PM
All BlueGrass Rivals

Liked 1,448 Times in 1,037 Posts
Hoot Gibson is just really niceHoot Gibson is just really niceHoot Gibson is just really niceHoot Gibson is just really nice
The Belfry team that finished the season without Derek Wellman is not the team that beat Johnson Central on Pond Creek.

It really makes no sense to argue this point, but if one insists on making the argument, then the question should be would Belfry be favored on a neutral field without Wellman against a JC team with Cody Rice, who was not on JC's roster before the playoffs? I don't think so...that sounds like a toss-up to me.

Conversely, if one wants to include Wellman in the analysis, then why not include Joe Jackson on JC's team in a hypothetical match-up?
Send a private message to Hoot Gibson Add Hoot Gibson to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 02:38 PM
Water Boy
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
STIFFY is on a distinguished road
Without a doubt Corbin when you consider the whole season
Send a private message to STIFFY Add STIFFY to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 02:39 PM
Scout Team
Liked 156 Times in 110 Posts
smoke1015 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by 99PIRATEFAN View Post
You could but that but 35 to 19 loss to the Pirates say they arenít
Corbin without a doubt was the "King of the Mountains" this year.
Send a private message to smoke1015 Add smoke1015 to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 02:42 PM
All BlueGrass Rivals

My vote goes to the Red Hounds.
Send a private message to Westside Add Westside to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 02:46 PM
Scout Team
In my opinion, next season, I think it'll be Corbin again as my pick. They are returning a great class of juniors and sophomores, getting a class of great freshman as well. Corbin's juniors and freshman from this season compliment each other well, as their seniors complimented their sophomore group. Next season I see Corbin being as good, or better than they were this year. Was Whitley county young? If they were a young team they could be pretty scary. Belfry is Belfry, they'll be in the mix, along with Johnson Central. I know if Welman was a senior and seeing how much he mattered in the Central game as being said by many Belfry fans, then Belfry is losing an incredible amount of talent, once again. I know their kid that puts them over the top with speed will be gone and from experience, losing kids like that are impossible to replace, personnel wise. I could see next year being a somewhat 'down year' for Belfry, with them still being the 2nd or 3rd best team in 3A (which is a compliment from me). Johnson Central I'll have to study further with their roster. But I know Wayne county is going to lose a lot.
Death_Valley (12-24-2017)
Send a private message to smoke1015 Add smoke1015 to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 03:09 PM
Statistician
Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts
HOFER is on a distinguished road
Next year should be interesting for Corbin. The scuttle butt I'm hearing is that Estep will move to qb. Could bring a whole new dynamic to the offense. I could see some more option sets added to the playbook.
Send a private message to HOFER Add HOFER to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 03:37 PM
All BlueGrass Rivals

Liked 3,804 Times in 2,781 Posts
64SUR will become famous soon enough
Iím voting democrat......Corbin new king of the mountain.......Keep Coal Alive
Send a private message to 64SUR Add 64SUR to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 03:42 PM
Head Coach
Liked 393 Times in 250 Posts
Hatz is on a distinguished road
Considering the way the State Finals ended, this award for 2017 is a little dubious don’t you think?
RoShamBo (12-04-2017)
Send a private message to Hatz Add Hatz to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 03:52 PM
Scout Team
Originally Posted by HOFER View Post
Next year should be interesting for Corbin. The scuttle butt I'm hearing is that Estep will move to qb. Could bring a whole new dynamic to the offense. I could see some more option sets added to the playbook.
Estep, in my opinion, throws the ball better than Sizemore. He won't be the bruising runner, but dear Lord he's fast and athletic. His arm probably has 20+ more yards on it than Sizemore's. He's not quite as accurate yet, but way stronger arm. It will be a totally different offense to have to defend... I think a tougher offense to defend.

You can add a lot more option stuff, IMO, with Estep. This could open up so much more stuff. But you do have to be more careful with him, and he can't play (maybe) with such wreckless abandon. Sizemore had the body to run the ball almost 20 times a game, AS A QB (if you wanted to), he could just take it. Estep doesn't have that aspect. This is very interesting to think about though. There's a lot of possibilities. A lot to tinker with as a coaching staff. Do you lose him on the defensive side of the ball, playing him at QB??? Hmm...
Hatz (12-03-2017), HOFER (12-04-2017)
Old 12-03-2017, 04:16 PM

Spud6 is a jewel in the roughSpud6 is a jewel in the roughSpud6 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by 99PIRATEFAN View Post
Excuses are like a$$holes but we had Key players not playing against Central and I know of two playing hurt the injury bug hit us at the wrong time
Yeah I agree wholeheartedly. But you play with the cards your dealt and against Central. The final score said Belfry not Belfry minus a starter here and there. So thatís why I say Corbin. Injuries are apart of football and everyone knows that.
Send a private message to Spud6 Add Spud6 to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 04:22 PM
Statistician
Liked 21 Times in 14 Posts
oldcardfan is on a distinguished road
Corbin
Send a private message to oldcardfan Add oldcardfan to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 04:45 PM
Cheerleader
Liked 74 Times in 58 Posts
doubledown is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Hoot Gibson View Post
The Belfry team that finished the season without Derek Wellman is not the team that beat Johnson Central on Pond Creek.

It really makes no sense to argue this point, but if one insists on making the argument, then the question should be would Belfry be favored on a neutral field without Wellman against a JC team with Cody Rice, who was not on JC's roster before the playoffs? I don't think so...that sounds like a toss-up to me.

Conversely, if one wants to include Wellman in the analysis, then why not include Joe Jackson on JC's team in a hypothetical match-up?
Joe Jackson was a huge loss for JC this season as would have been 1st team all state player and given the Eagles the quickness & speed they needed against Franklin Simpson. Hopefully he comes back next season with knee stronger & better and gets in the running for Mr Football
smoke1015 (12-03-2017)
Send a private message to doubledown Add doubledown to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 04:48 PM
Scout Team
Liked 66 Times in 52 Posts
bball_fan is on a distinguished road
To me... the mountains are east of Corbin. I drive from Lexington to Corbin every other day for work. It just isn't Eastern Kentucky, where I was born and raised. It feels more like Richmond or Lexington. To me, the Mountains go as far southeast as Bell County and Middlesboro, stretching through Clay County and up to Breathitt County in the west. Lawrence County in the northern border and everything between that is the mountains.

Belfry beat Johnson Central, but we are never truly going to find out who the better team is during that game because why on Earth would either of them really risk playing the game like it mattered as anything more than a tough game to get you ready for the playoffs? If these two teams were ever in the same district, you would find out the true answer to that.

With that said, a 14 point loss in the State finals has to mean something. Belfry did not even win the region this year, given they was having to pull kids from the Academic Team to fill gaps due to injury. A healthy Belfry, probably goes for number five or at least does not take a beating at the hands of Louisville Central like they did. Belfry was never meant to win it this year, KHSAA meant to for Belfry and Louisville Central to fall short. Call it the antitrust of 3A football.

My final top five are based on what teams were at the end of the year after injuries and such...

1.Johnson Central
2.Belfry
3.Harlan County
4.Pikeville
5.Hazard
Send a private message to bball_fan Add bball_fan to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 05:29 PM
Statistician
Liked 32 Times in 27 Posts
AngryMob is on a distinguished road
No kings this year jus a bunch of teams that were almost good enough... Hope one of us gets a ring next ye
Send a private message to AngryMob Add AngryMob to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 05:43 PM
All BlueGrass Rivals

Liked 2,767 Times in 2,169 Posts
pjdoug will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Westside View Post
Who in your opinion should be the king of mountains for 2017? We didn't have a state champion come out of the mountains this year so I think this topic is open for debate? Should it be Belfry, Corbin, Harlan County, Johnson Central, Paintsville, or Pikeville? Should some other school be considered? What is your opinion?
Raceland
Old 12-03-2017, 05:48 PM
All BlueGrass Rivals

Originally Posted by bball_fan View Post
To me... the mountains are east of Corbin. I drive from Lexington to Corbin every other day for work. It just isn't Eastern Kentucky, where I was born and raised. It feels more like Richmond or Lexington. To me, the Mountains go as far southeast as Bell County and Middlesboro, stretching through Clay County and up to Breathitt County in the west. Lawrence County in the northern border and everything between that is the mountains.

Belfry beat Johnson Central, but we are never truly going to find out who the better team is during that game because why on Earth would either of them really risk playing the game like it mattered as anything more than a tough game to get you ready for the playoffs? If these two teams were ever in the same district, you would find out the true answer to that.

With that said, a 14 point loss in the State finals has to mean something. Belfry did not even win the region this year, given they was having to pull kids from the Academic Team to fill gaps due to injury. A healthy Belfry, probably goes for number five or at least does not take a beating at the hands of Louisville Central like they did. Belfry was never meant to win it this year, KHSAA meant to for Belfry and Louisville Central to fall short. Call it the antitrust of 3A football.

My final top five are based on what teams were at the end of the year after injuries and such...

1.Johnson Central
2.Belfry
3.Harlan County
4.Pikeville
5.Hazard
I'm glad it ain't left up to you since I see mountains and hollers in Whitley County
Old 12-03-2017, 06:08 PM

So in your all’s opinion are Corbin and Raceland mountain teams?
Old 12-03-2017, 06:45 PM
All BlueGrass Rivals

So in your allís opinion are Corbin and Raceland mountain teams?
Serious question. What is a mountain team? Does their stadium have to be built on the side of a cliff? Clay County doesn't have higher mountains than Whitley County and Breathitt and Lawrence counties sure dont. Kentucky ain't all mountains. it even has some flat places in the eastern part
Old 12-03-2017, 07:08 PM
All BlueGrass Rivals

So in your allís opinion are Corbin and Raceland mountain teams?
Corbin is a mountain team in my book.
Old 12-03-2017, 07:21 PM
All BlueGrass Rivals

Liked 2,488 Times in 1,768 Posts
E's Army is on a distinguished road
Corbin
Send a private message to E's Army Add E's Army to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 07:42 PM
Cheerleader
Liked 158 Times in 100 Posts
Patriot1 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 64SUR View Post
Iím voting democrat......Corbin new king of the mountain.......Keep Coal Alive
Probably agree with you on Corbin but the Democrats killed the coal industry.
Big Five-0- (12-03-2017), Granny Bear (12-03-2017), smoke1015 (12-03-2017), Westside (12-04-2017)
Send a private message to Patriot1 Add Patriot1 to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by pjdoug View Post
Serious question. What is a mountain team? Does their stadium have to be built on the side of a cliff? Clay County doesn't have higher mountains than Whitley County and Breathitt and Lawrence counties sure dont. Kentucky ain't all mountains. it even has some flat places in the eastern part
This is my question. I normally go by who the WYMT polls follow with the mountain top 10 ranks. How they determine that. I have no clue what so ever.

BGR-Kentucky High School Sports - BlueGrassRivals » Kentucky High School and Middle School Sports » Football