Rate This Thread - Need help with insurance.


Like this thread? Help the BGR community grow by sharing it with your friends.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-13-2018, 09:52 PM
Hound05's Avatar
Hound05 Hound05 is offline
Head Coach
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Corbin, Kentucky
Posts: 2,307
Likes: 656
Liked 884 Times in 633 Posts
Hound05 is on a distinguished road
Default Need help with insurance
Hey guys any help or feedback on this would be great.

I get insurance through my job. All of them are great but I’ve been on “self plus 1” with me and my wife for dental.

Now that my kid is older I need to add him and change it to “self and family”.

My question is, there are several options and company’s out there I can choose from. The one I have right now is great, even the dental people say they’ve not seen many like it. But when I add him it’s going to go up significantly! But there is another option out there for me that I’ve looked into and there’s not to much of a difference in what they pay and what your copay would be for services. The only difference I can’t figure out is the one I currently have is a PPO, and the one I’m looking at is an EPO. I know what they stand for, but what is the difference? Pros and cons of each? Any insight would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!
Send a private message to Hound05 Add Hound05 to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote

Click Here to become a member and join in on the discussions at BGR. Our membership is always 100% FREE.

  #2  
Old 11-15-2018, 07:58 AM
Westside's Avatar
Westside Westside is online now
All BlueGrass Rivals



Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: BOBCAT BOULEVARD
Posts: 11,606
Likes: 2,497
Liked 1,273 Times in 886 Posts
Westside is on a distinguished road
Default
I never really read the insurance booklets. I always just asked everybody else what they were taking. I do know mine was usually a PPO although I have no idea what that stood for. I hope that helps.
Likes: (1)
Hound05 (11-15-2018)
Send a private message to Westside Add Westside to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-15-2018, 01:57 PM
Hound05's Avatar
Hound05 Hound05 is offline
Head Coach
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Corbin, Kentucky
Posts: 2,307
Likes: 656
Liked 884 Times in 633 Posts
Hound05 is on a distinguished road
Default
Haha Westie anything helps at this point bud haha. I wouldn’t even be worried about it if it wasn’t so much cheaper. But there is always a catch. Insurance is a joke to me anyways. Doesn’t matter if you pay for it or it’s a Medicare Medicaid type plan. I just never heard of an EPO. and the interweb doesn’t really clarify it
Likes: (1)
Westside (11-15-2018)
Send a private message to Hound05 Add Hound05 to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-17-2018, 04:06 PM
RunItUpTheGut RunItUpTheGut is offline
RETIRED


Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 28,429
Likes: 6,982
Liked 8,018 Times in 5,549 Posts
RunItUpTheGut has disabled reputation
Default
Originally Posted by Hound05 View Post
Hey guys any help or feedback on this would be great.

I get insurance through my job. All of them are great but I’ve been on “self plus 1” with me and my wife for dental.

Now that my kid is older I need to add him and change it to “self and family”.

My question is, there are several options and company’s out there I can choose from. The one I have right now is great, even the dental people say they’ve not seen many like it. But when I add him it’s going to go up significantly! But there is another option out there for me that I’ve looked into and there’s not to much of a difference in what they pay and what your copay would be for services. The only difference I can’t figure out is the one I currently have is a PPO, and the one I’m looking at is an EPO. I know what they stand for, but what is the difference? Pros and cons of each? Any insight would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!
I've been on a high deductible HSA plan for almost a decade. Almost all employers will eventually go to it. Every year the deductible goes up as well. I pay almost 7000 a year out of pocket for healthcare cost for my family. Its ridiculous. Not to mention the 120 a week I pay in just to have shitty anthem.

As for your question, I know with an EPO that you have to go to an in network doctor or your coverage will pay absolutely nothing. In a PPO plan, you can go to an out of network doctor or have something done without a referral and the insurance will pay but not as much coverage as if you went to an in network.

In my opinion, depending on your provider and assuming how many local doctors they have in network I would just pick the cheaper one if the coverage and deductibles and copays are the same.
Likes: (1)
Hound05 (11-19-2018)
Send a private message to RunItUpTheGut Add RunItUpTheGut to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-19-2018, 01:43 PM
Hound05's Avatar
Hound05 Hound05 is offline
Head Coach
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Corbin, Kentucky
Posts: 2,307
Likes: 656
Liked 884 Times in 633 Posts
Hound05 is on a distinguished road
Default
Originally Posted by RunItUpTheGut View Post
I've been on a high deductible HSA plan for almost a decade. Almost all employers will eventually go to it. Every year the deductible goes up as well. I pay almost 7000 a year out of pocket for healthcare cost for my family. Its ridiculous. Not to mention the 120 a week I pay in just to have shitty anthem.

As for your question, I know with an EPO that you have to go to an in network doctor or your coverage will pay absolutely nothing. In a PPO plan, you can go to an out of network doctor or have something done without a referral and the insurance will pay but not as much coverage as if you went to an in network.

In my opinion, depending on your provider and assuming how many local doctors they have in network I would just pick the cheaper one if the coverage and deductibles and copays are the same.
Ok thank you so much. With my insurance I don’t have a deductible for anything. And I usually go to in network providers anyways. But EPO plan is cheaper by about half from what I carry right now. So before I switched I wanted to make sure there wasn’t any major “catches” to it. Because it pays the same as the one I have right now. Thanks Gut. I think you just helped me make my decision. Worst case. If I don’t like it. I’ll just switch in a year.
Send a private message to Hound05 Add Hound05 to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-19-2018, 03:35 PM
RunItUpTheGut RunItUpTheGut is offline
RETIRED


Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 28,429
Likes: 6,982
Liked 8,018 Times in 5,549 Posts
RunItUpTheGut has disabled reputation
Default
Originally Posted by Hound05 View Post
Ok thank you so much. With my insurance I don’t have a deductible for anything. And I usually go to in network providers anyways. But EPO plan is cheaper by about half from what I carry right now. So before I switched I wanted to make sure there wasn’t any major “catches” to it. Because it pays the same as the one I have right now. Thanks Gut. I think you just helped me make my decision. Worst case. If I don’t like it. I’ll just switch in a year.
No problem buddy.
You should have a plan administrator threw your work that should be able to any questions you have assuming you work for a bigger company. It's usually going to be your HR person or whoever is setting up the open enrollment paper work.
Likes: (1)
Spirit100 (11-25-2018)
Send a private message to RunItUpTheGut Add RunItUpTheGut to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-25-2018, 01:04 PM
Spirit100's Avatar
Spirit100 Spirit100 is offline
Hall of Fame


Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Terra Firma
Posts: 5,487
Likes: 1,326
Liked 1,241 Times in 864 Posts
Spirit100 is on a distinguished road
Default
Being self employed the wife and I just saw our Obamacare increase by 40%. That's what we get for having a SOLID financial year...

Suppose we could only work 50% this year and see our rate decrease!

What the experts predicted has become the reality. GO FIGURE. Someone has to pay for those who don't work or aren't legal
__________________



"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."

-Mahatma Gandhi
Likes: (1)
RunItUpTheGut (11-28-2018)
Send a private message to Spirit100 Add Spirit100 to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-28-2018, 12:28 AM
RunItUpTheGut RunItUpTheGut is offline
RETIRED


Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 28,429
Likes: 6,982
Liked 8,018 Times in 5,549 Posts
RunItUpTheGut has disabled reputation
Default
I couldn't imagine shopping for insurance.
Until this absurd socialized health insurance is completely scrapped we will never get back to normal.
Send a private message to RunItUpTheGut Add RunItUpTheGut to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-28-2018, 01:59 PM
Mayfieldsportsfan's Avatar
Mayfieldsportsfan Mayfieldsportsfan is offline
Cheerleader
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 435
Likes: 232
Liked 196 Times in 101 Posts
Mayfieldsportsfan is on a distinguished road
Default
I made $40.00 more last year than the year before. My insurance deductible went from $200 dollars to $2500.00. My out of pocket went from $700.00 to $6500.00. It sucks.
Send a private message to Mayfieldsportsfan Add Mayfieldsportsfan to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Reply

  BGR-Kentucky High School Sports - BlueGrassRivals » Off Topic » General Discussions

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -9. The time now is 05:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.