Rate This Thread - KHSAA Approves 8-team single elimination state tournament.

Like this thread? Help the BGR community grow by sharing it with your friends.

Old 09-22-2018, 05:07 PM
Home of the Chicago Cubs!

Liked 1,354 Times in 1,123 Posts
Strikeout King will become famous soon enough
Default KHSAA Approves 8-team single elimination state tournament
KHSAA approves 8-team, single-elimination state tourneys for both baseball & softball, starting in 2019. The 16 regional champs will meet in semistate round, with winners advancing to state tourneys. KHSAA wants semistates to be played at quality facilities, preferably colleges.

Per Jason Frakes

BOISE STATE BRONCOS
KENTUCKY WILDCATS FOOTBALL!!!!
Send a private message to Strikeout King Add Strikeout King to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote

Click Here to become a member and join in on the discussions at BGR. Our membership is always 100% FREE.

Old 09-22-2018, 07:09 PM
Starter
Liked 217 Times in 171 Posts
HCS is on a distinguished road
How are they going to determine which region plays which in the sectional?
RunItUpTheGut (11-15-2018)
Send a private message to HCS Add HCS to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 10:22 AM
Starter
Liked 411 Times in 281 Posts
Van Hagar is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by HCS View Post
How are they going to determine which region plays which in the sectional?
That was my question as well. Iím pretty sure when they used to do this it was 1 through 4 together, 5 through 8 and so on. Then each year you would rotate within that grouping, in other words next year might be 13 vs. 14 and 15 vs. 16, the year after 13 vs. 15, 14 vs. 16, then the third year 13 vs. 16, and 14 vs. 15. Then start back over in year four. Sectionals used to be best 2-of-3 also, is that going to be the same?
Send a private message to Van Hagar Add Van Hagar to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 04:58 PM
Starter
Liked 217 Times in 171 Posts
HCS is on a distinguished road
When Cumberland was playing in the sectional every year, I went all the time and it was always a single-elimination tourney for regions 13-16. I'd say you're right though about alternating regions among 13-16.
Send a private message to HCS Add HCS to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 10:51 PM
Starter
When North won the region for the first time (2008 I think), the sectional format was being used. They played Johnson Central of the 15th in a two-of-three series, it was held at Whitley Co. Thatís what I was basing that on.
Send a private message to Van Hagar Add Van Hagar to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 11:49 PM
Hall of Fame

Location: Down on Mainstreet but thinking of Going to Katmandu
Liked 1,432 Times in 1,001 Posts
Bob Seger has a spectacular aura aboutBob Seger has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Van Hagar View Post
When North won the region for the first time (2008 I think), the sectional format was being used. They played Johnson Central of the 15th in a two-of-three series, it was held at Whitley Co. That’s what I was basing that on.
Actually in '08 the semi state format was being used, not the sectional format. Johnson Central was beaten in the 1st round of the 15th regional tournament that year. Lawrence Co. was the 15th region champion and beat Bell County 2 games to 0 in the semi state format. That is the year that Lawrence Co. was also the state runner up.
Send a private message to Bob Seger Add Bob Seger to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 09:03 AM
Starter
It was 2007. And it was Greenup Co., not JC. At least I had North right.😂😂I hate getting old.
Old 09-24-2018, 11:47 AM
Hall of Fame

Location: Down on Mainstreet but thinking of Going to Katmandu
Liked 1,432 Times in 1,001 Posts
Bob Seger has a spectacular aura aboutBob Seger has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Van Hagar View Post
It was 2007. And it was Greenup Co., not JC. At least I had North right.😂😂I hate getting old.
I feel your pain.
Send a private message to Bob Seger Add Bob Seger to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 04:09 PM
Equipment Manager
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
108 Stitches is on a distinguished road
Default One and Done!
I think I read it was ONE and DONE at all levels! I put "think" because I too am getting older!!!
Send a private message to 108 Stitches Add 108 Stitches to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 04:14 PM
Home of the Chicago Cubs!

Liked 1,354 Times in 1,123 Posts
Strikeout King will become famous soon enough
Wasn't Baseball a semi-state just a few years ago? If so why would KHSAA change it to a sweet 16 format just to change it back to a semi-state? Doesn't make sense to me

BOISE STATE BRONCOS
KENTUCKY WILDCATS FOOTBALL!!!!
Send a private message to Strikeout King Add Strikeout King to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 10:39 PM
Cheerleader
Liked 97 Times in 70 Posts
Jaguarhoundbird is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Strikeout King View Post
Wasn't Baseball a semi-state just a few years ago? If so why would KHSAA change it to a sweet 16 format just to change it back to a semi-state? Doesn't make sense to me
Because the Khsaa is exactly like the Ncaa. Couldn't care less about the kids, and it's all about money. Whether it cost them too much, or aren't making enough. I'm going to say that it's because rain delays during the sweet 16 cost them as far as Whitaker bank park (or whatever it's called now.) rent goes.
Send a private message to Jaguarhoundbird Add Jaguarhoundbird to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 12:07 PM
All BlueGrass Rivals

Liked 2,758 Times in 1,991 Posts
E's Army is on a distinguished road
Will they rotate which regions play or will it be like in All A where 13th plays 14th every year?
Send a private message to E's Army Add E's Army to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 06:38 PM
Moderated member. You need 5 posts without rule violation to be promoted to a full member.
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Johnny Bender is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by E's Army View Post
Will they rotate which regions play or will it be like in All A where 13th plays 14th every year?
To my knowledge the regions are grouped in 4's...1-4, 5-8, 9-12, 13-16, and there will be a rotation of who plays who each year within those 4 regions. So one year, yes, 13 could play 14, but the next they could play 15 or 16.
Send a private message to Johnny Bender Add Johnny Bender to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 04:59 PM
This is my favorite pastime

Liked 4,649 Times in 3,195 Posts
Stardust is a splendid one to beholdStardust is a splendid one to beholdStardust is a splendid one to beholdStardust is a splendid one to beholdStardust is a splendid one to beholdStardust is a splendid one to beholdStardust is a splendid one to beholdStardust is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Jaguarhoundbird View Post
Because the Khsaa is exactly like the Ncaa. Couldn't care less about the kids, and it's all about money. Whether it cost them too much, or aren't making enough. I'm going to say that it's because rain delays during the sweet 16 cost them as far as Whitaker bank park (or whatever it's called now.) rent goes.
Its because Whitaker could no longer commit to two weekends, and KHSAA was not willing to go back to the week long format.

As a coach, I loved the Sweet 16 format. It made winning your Region your highest priority of the season. Obviously it still is, but if you won your region, the stigma was that you made the State Tournament!
Old 11-15-2018, 11:52 AM
2nd String
Liked 177 Times in 122 Posts
FarristownFlyer is an unknown quantity at this point
Not a fan of this, I went to the State Tournament for the first time 2 years ago and enjoyed it a lot.
Send a private message to FarristownFlyer Add FarristownFlyer to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 03:32 PM
RETIRED

Liked 8,018 Times in 5,549 Posts
RunItUpTheGut has disabled reputation
Just another ridiculous move by an outdated institution that schools need to show the door.

In thos scenario, schools are better off not worrying about the state nonsense and just having there own end of the year regional tournaments. The KHSAA is too lazy is the biggest problem.

These kids play 400 games a year anyways so the amount of games is not the issue.

They need to do 16 team best 2 of 3 format. Let the schools decide where to play at and only step in for reasons of disagreement. By doing best 2 of 3 you will get a real champion out of the tournament.
Every year you could just do the first round as 1v2 , 3v4 when it comes to regions to cut down on travel
Send a private message to RunItUpTheGut Add RunItUpTheGut to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 06:42 PM
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Wildcat72 is on a distinguished road
Honestly think baseball should have 3 classes. Each final 4 playing at Whitaker Bank Ball Park. I think WV does something similar but I may be slightly off
Send a private message to Wildcat72 Add Wildcat72 to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote

BGR-Kentucky High School Sports - BlueGrassRivals » Kentucky High School and Middle School Sports » Baseball