Rate This Thread - Pulaski County School System Has Dropped the Ball.

Like this thread? Help the BGR community grow by sharing it with your friends.

Old 11-17-2018, 12:38 PM
Water Boy
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
itsatrap is on a distinguished road
Default Pulaski County School System Has Dropped the Ball
As an outside fan I have never been more appaled then watching my son play at the county schools field and after tonight my feelings were confirmed. Remove the fact that Pulaskis field is dictating playoff games it is also a poor look for the county. This isn't a SW got cheated because of mud post either becasue after Playing at Southwestern earlier this year their field was not much better and they played three straight games on it, it to would've been a mud pit. While ar SW I asked a SW fan why the majority of the home sideline was covered in straw and they replied it was dug up in August to fix waterlines. Oddly enough when my son was a Freshman we played at SW (now a Junior so 2 years ago) the field had large hills throught where waterlines were dug and put in after the Bermuda had been put in. These fields look to be a hack job after the turf debacle and hopefully this has some opened some eyes. Sidelines at SW are concrete pads that have very little coverage grass growing knee high around fences. It just baffles me that a county with a strong economy and 2 perrenial top 10 5A schools play on two of the worst fields in the state.
64black&gold (11-17-2018), Fanforlife (11-17-2018), FarristownFlyer (11-18-2018), JustThinking (11-17-2018), zebra'seyes (11-18-2018)
Send a private message to itsatrap Add itsatrap to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote

Click Here to become a member and join in on the discussions at BGR. Our membership is always 100% FREE.

Old 11-17-2018, 06:41 PM
Equipment Manager
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
AverageJoe is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by itsatrap View Post
As an outside fan I have never been more appaled then watching my son play at the county schools field and after tonight my feelings were confirmed. Remove the fact that Pulaskis field is dictating playoff games it is also a poor look for the county. This isn't a SW got cheated because of mud post either becasue after Playing at Southwestern earlier this year their field was not much better and they played three straight games on it, it to would've been a mud pit. While ar SW I asked a SW fan why the majority of the home sideline was covered in straw and they replied it was dug up in August to fix waterlines. Oddly enough when my son was a Freshman we played at SW (now a Junior so 2 years ago) the field had large hills throught where waterlines were dug and put in after the Bermuda had been put in. These fields look to be a hack job after the turf debacle and hopefully this has some opened some eyes. Sidelines at SW are concrete pads that have very little coverage grass growing knee high around fences. It just baffles me that a county with a strong economy and 2 perrenial top 10 5A schools play on two of the worst fields in the state.

Sounds like to me you should donate or rise a million dollars for a new field. Job done.
Do you think school districts can just magically find a extra million dollars laying around? The county might have a strong economy but I think it shows that a turf field is low on the totem pole to outside donors/boosters. More realistic approach would be to hire a company to reseed/grade the field and hire a part time groundsman year around.

JMO.
CowboyDad (11-18-2018)
Send a private message to AverageJoe Add AverageJoe to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 07:16 PM
Head Coach
Liked 884 Times in 633 Posts
Hound05 is on a distinguished road
^^^ this. A good groundskeeper is key. I remember a lot of years back they tested our field. The guy who was doing it had put enough nitrogen on it that the test showed it didnít need anymore for a whole year or so. Taking care of warm season grass and turf type grass isnít easy. There is very much a science to it. You can lay down the best stuff out there, but if someone donít know how to take care of it, youíre just throwing money in the fire. As for the other stuff, hills and etc. it sounds like they hired the wrong people to fix it. Didnít Pulaski have some problems with ďbad contractsĒ here in the last little bit? Overpaying people and companies they knew to do a job instead of bids. Maybe that has something to do with it as well?
Gitback Coach (11-17-2018)
Send a private message to Hound05 Add Hound05 to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 07:20 PM
All BlueGrass Rivals

Liked 2,749 Times in 1,983 Posts
E's Army is on a distinguished road
Coach Denny from McCreary County was a grass genius. He could have both fields in great condition in short order
The Spread (11-19-2018)
Send a private message to E's Army Add E's Army to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 07:27 PM
Head Coach
Liked 824 Times in 423 Posts
RoShamBo will become famous soon enough
Didn't the school board give each school $200K just a year or two ago for field repairs and maintenance?
Send a private message to RoShamBo Add RoShamBo to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 07:35 PM
Lacks the ability to love

Liked 655 Times in 450 Posts
Real Badman is on a distinguished road
Tell the local politicians you would like to give more money in school taxes.
Send a private message to Real Badman Add Real Badman to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 08:10 PM
Scout Team
Liked 115 Times in 84 Posts
Bulldogs4Ever is on a distinguished road
Ah heck, its football. You don't need carpet to play on. Cry me a river. Worlds to dang soft these days.
cadets1988 (11-19-2018)
Send a private message to Bulldogs4Ever Add Bulldogs4Ever to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 08:21 PM
Starter
Liked 203 Times in 157 Posts
Gitback Coach is an unknown quantity at this point
Ironically, Pulaskiís experience playing on that muddy field might be their lone advantage against CovCath. Just sayiní.
AverageJoe (11-17-2018), cadets1988 (11-19-2018)
Send a private message to Gitback Coach Add Gitback Coach to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 09:26 PM
RETIRED

Liked 8,018 Times in 5,549 Posts
RunItUpTheGut has a spectacular aura aboutRunItUpTheGut has a spectacular aura about
All three field in Whitley County are kept in immaculate shape.
Williamsburg. Whitley, and Corbin would never get in that shape.

It all starts with who's taking care of it. If you get your janitor to go out and mow it with and 80s model snapper once every two weeks then you get what you got.
E's Army (11-17-2018)
Send a private message to RunItUpTheGut Add RunItUpTheGut to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 09:26 PM
RETIRED

Liked 8,018 Times in 5,549 Posts
RunItUpTheGut has a spectacular aura aboutRunItUpTheGut has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Gitback Coach View Post
Ironically, Pulaski’s experience playing on that muddy field might be their lone advantage against CovCath. Just sayin’.
If I were Pulaski I'd turn the sprinklers on so it became water polo instead of football because pulaski ain't beating cov cath in football
Gitback Coach (11-17-2018), Westside (11-18-2018)
Send a private message to RunItUpTheGut Add RunItUpTheGut to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 09:35 PM
Head Coach
Liked 824 Times in 423 Posts
RoShamBo will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by RunItUpTheGut View Post

It all starts with who's taking care of it. If you get your janitor to go out and mow it with and 80s model snapper once every two weeks then you get what you got.
We keep ours in good shape as well. It definitely isn't some tropical subsystem we have floating around the Lake Cumberland area that makes the field as bad as it is.
CowboyDad (11-18-2018)
Send a private message to RoShamBo Add RoShamBo to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 11:16 PM
All BlueGrass Rivals

Liked 2,749 Times in 1,983 Posts
E's Army is on a distinguished road
Pulaski's field has been bad for at least 10 years. I would expect more from a school with the program they have had.
Send a private message to E's Army Add E's Army to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 11:41 PM
Cheerleader
Liked 52 Times in 39 Posts
Woodsman is on a distinguished road
If I were Pulaski county Iíd worry more about preparing for Cov cath than I would field condition. Just saying.
Send a private message to Woodsman Add Woodsman to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 12:01 AM
Cheerleader
Liked 69 Times in 51 Posts
Rip/Spin is on a distinguished road
I was at the game last night and the field does look like a cattle feeding lot. There is very little grass in side the 20ís on the outsides and thatís it. The rest wasnít just muddy, it was sloppy. I was told a few years ago these programs had a lot of money coming in from bingo and they wanted to put in turf but wouldnít because at that time, the economy was down and thought it would look bad. Do they still have this kind of money? I would expect their super to be in favor of helping the football programs because heís a former coach.
Send a private message to Rip/Spin Add Rip/Spin to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 02:09 AM
Water Boy
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
And where exactly did I mention needing a turf field or a million dollars? I said the field was crap never stated my suggestion as to how to fix it. Pulaski County had both fields down to dirt in preparation for turf and voted against it not because it wasn't affordable but they felt bermuda was cheaper. So they threw it in, did not ensure fields drained properly, and added waterlines once they realized the fields needed some water. The SW parent said coach French has complained numerous times even on his radio show about how they aren't taken care of, even said the school mows it with a zero turn mower.
Regardless I never said they need a million dollars or turf field, so even after you landed from your jump to conclusions my point remains. They have dropped the ball. Fields and grounds are not maintained and where not installed very well and sort of last minute
Send a private message to itsatrap Add itsatrap to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 02:22 AM
Equipment Manager
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
fridaynightfights is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by E's Army View Post
Coach Denny from McCreary County was a grass genius. He could have both fields in great condition in short order
He lives in Knoxville now and works on UT's various fields. But, with a phone call I bet he could recommend someone or give you a pointer or two in five minutes.
Send a private message to fridaynightfights Add fridaynightfights to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 02:50 AM
All BlueGrass Rivals

Liked 1,272 Times in 885 Posts
Westside is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Real Badman View Post
Tell the local politicians you would like to give more money in school taxes.

I love it!
Send a private message to Westside Add Westside to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 02:53 AM
All BlueGrass Rivals

Originally Posted by RunItUpTheGut View Post

Send a private message to Westside Add Westside to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 03:00 AM
All BlueGrass Rivals

Originally Posted by Westside View Post
They may have Forest Gump as their volunteer grounds keeper.

Old 11-18-2018, 08:06 AM
Equipment Manager
Liked 46 Times in 28 Posts
CowboyDad is on a distinguished road
Turf isn't always an answer to the problem.

Pulaski County schools would have to sink a major amount of money into drainage for both fields, then turf them both for soccer usage as well. Something tells me that project could approach 3 million plus and that's a hard number to reach for a school system in current state of budgets.

Solution? Fix the drainage issue in preparation for turf. Then have a capital campaign to match funds with the school board. Bet you get it then.
Send a private message to CowboyDad Add CowboyDad to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 10:48 AM
Cheerleader
I think the game of football should only be played on natural surface.
Westside (11-20-2018)
Send a private message to Woodsman Add Woodsman to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 11:23 AM
Statistician
Liked 21 Times in 16 Posts
ekywildcat is on a distinguished road
This must have been the game I watched clips of on Sports Overtime, looked like the players had been mud wrestling!
Send a private message to ekywildcat Add ekywildcat to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 11:27 PM
Water Boy
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by CowboyDad View Post
Turf isn't always an answer to the problem.

Pulaski County schools would have to sink a major amount of money into drainage for both fields, then turf them both for soccer usage as well. Something tells me that project could approach 3 million plus and that's a hard number to reach for a school system in current state of budgets.

Solution? Fix the drainage issue in preparation for turf. Then have a capital campaign to match funds with the school board. Bet you get it then.

Exactly my thoughts. Nobody said put in turf or that turf was the solution. To be honest from what I hear outside of the drains being higher than the surrounding playing surface poor maintenance may be the biggest issue. Turf is not a fix all it requires a large amount of maintenance as well, and as of now the last thing they need is another band-aid to fix all.
Old 11-19-2018, 04:03 PM
Statistician
Liked 27 Times in 21 Posts
cadets1988 is on a distinguished road
eh kids are snow flakes and most parents are too. Just play
Send a private message to cadets1988 Add cadets1988 to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 06:42 PM
Moderated member. You need 5 posts without rule violation to be promoted to a full member.
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
PurelyASpectator is on a distinguished road
Having played on Pulaski's field 15 years ago, I can say that it has definitely gotten worse as time has gone by; however, as a player, I never minded it. I knew there was less of a chance that my cleat would get caught and I'd blow my knee out. It's a bit annoying slipping and sliding everywhere, but both teams have to deal with it. As much as Hines has gone public with his desire to have turf, I honestly believe he secretly loves the mess come playoff time. PC's practice field runs right next to a creek that keeps it muddy most of the year, so the team gets used to it.

I fully expect Cov Cath to win on Friday, but they will have to adjust to something they haven't seen before, because if they don't, it might be closer than the experts think.
Send a private message to PurelyASpectator Add PurelyASpectator to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 07:50 PM
Cheerleader
Good luck to Pulaski county....and the colonels.
Old 11-20-2018, 02:03 AM
Water Boy
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by cadets1988 View Post
eh kids are snow flakes and most parents are too. Just play
It has nothing to do with the kids or parents. Your facilities are a direct reflection of your program. Look throughout the state how many top programs play on horrible unmaintained fields. Not many and these two teams in the same county have finished with 20+ wins for the last 5 years have been 1&2 with the winner playing or winning the state championship. No reason to have knee high weeds and slop pits for fields.
Old 11-20-2018, 11:02 AM
Starter
Liked 375 Times in 233 Posts
Willie Turnover is on a distinguished road
the best part of it is that refs let everything go because they do not want to throw their flags in the mud.
Send a private message to Willie Turnover Add Willie Turnover to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 11:14 AM
All BlueGrass Rivals

Liked 3,685 Times in 2,897 Posts
pjdoug will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Willie Turnover View Post
the best part of it is that refs let everything go because they do not want to throw their flags in the mud.

Old 11-20-2018, 11:38 AM
Head Coach

Location: Setting sail with Capt. Morgan and never leaving dry land
Liked 1,677 Times in 1,007 Posts
PHSForever is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Willie Turnover View Post
This is TRUE. Go look at the Pikeville vs Phelps game. Several instances where the refs took their flags out and waved them rather than throw them in the mud. Lol
Send a private message to PHSForever Add PHSForever to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote

BGR-Kentucky High School Sports - BlueGrassRivals » Kentucky High School and Middle School Sports » Football