Rate This Thread - Is Cal losing his swag?.

Like this thread? Help the BGR community grow by sharing it with your friends.

Old 01-09-2018, 09:19 AM
Starter
Liked 357 Times in 212 Posts
Cat Daddy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is Cal losing his swag?
We all know that over the past ten or fifteen years, Coach Cal has been the top recruiter in the country, after embracing the "one and done" approach. In my opinion, over the past couple of years, it seems as if, Coach K has overtaken Cal as the top recruiter in college basketball after implementing the "one and done" approach at Duke. Its seems like Cal is currently struggling to bring in top ten talent. The "17" class consisted of one top ten player which was the #10 player, Kevin Knox. Out of the three signees for the "18" class, only Quickley is considered a top ten player, being at #10. Now, I like guys who are going to be around a couple of years, and I don't necessary think this is a bad thing, but I just wanted everyone's thoughts on why Cal is struggling to bring in the "superstar" that he has always had in the past.
Send a private message to Cat Daddy Add Cat Daddy to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote

Click Here to become a member and join in on the discussions at BGR. Our membership is always 100% FREE.

Old 01-09-2018, 02:19 PM
All BlueGrass Rivals

Liked 1,072 Times in 729 Posts
Westside is on a distinguished road
I think an argument could certainly be made that he has lost his swag.
Send a private message to Westside Add Westside to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 07:41 AM
This is my favorite pastime

Liked 4,645 Times in 3,193 Posts
Stardust is a splendid one to beholdStardust is a splendid one to beholdStardust is a splendid one to beholdStardust is a splendid one to beholdStardust is a splendid one to beholdStardust is a splendid one to beholdStardust is a splendid one to beholdStardust is a splendid one to behold
Really???? What does Coach K have that Cal does not? Upperclassmen! That is the difference, pure and simple. This team this year has Super Talent, but when you play 7 guys, with no program experience, what do you expect? You add guy's like two sophomores who were starters the previous year like 2012 with Jones and Lamb, and then bring in Seniors like Harrelson and Miller, then you have what has made Duke successful. Lost the swag? I don't know what that means. He has a team of extremely good talent, but zero upper class leadership that is on every team that win's a National Championship. This year just caught the program at a bad time with no returners with leadership skills.

I personally hate the "Brand New Team" every year, but in no possible way do I think that Cal has lost his swag, if that means, bring in great talent.
Old 01-10-2018, 08:44 AM
2nd String
Liked 163 Times in 130 Posts
PRIDE101 is on a distinguished road
I think most are tired of the 1 and done process. The way I take it is "Swag", means this process and the way Cal has presented it to this state as the way to win National championships. A loss of confidence in the fan base, as it may not be the way to go to do that.
jax (01-11-2018)
Send a private message to PRIDE101 Add PRIDE101 to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 08:46 AM
Home of the Chicago Cubs!

Liked 1,300 Times in 1,082 Posts
Strikeout King will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Stardust View Post
Really???? What does Coach K have that Cal does not? Upperclassmen! That is the difference, pure and simple. This team this year has Super Talent, but when you play 7 guys, with no program experience, what do you expect? You add guy's like two sophomores who were starters the previous year like 2012 with Jones and Lamb, and then bring in Seniors like Harrelson and Miller, then you have what has made Duke successful. Lost the swag? I don't know what that means. He has a team of extremely good talent, but zero upper class leadership that is on every team that win's a National Championship. This year just caught the program at a bad time with no returners with leadership skills.

I personally hate the "Brand New Team" every year, but in no possible way do I think that Cal has lost his swag, if that means, bring in great talent.
100% spot on. This is the youngest team that Cal has ever had at UK and this is the reason why I don't like his theory's. He wants to push them out the door as soon as they walk through it. I can understand turning down big money but I do wish he'd start getting more players that will stay longer than 1 and dones.
Old 01-10-2018, 08:48 AM
2nd String
If he wins, he is the best and if not, he has a built in excuse every year, we are the youngest team in country. He has the best of both worlds.
Send a private message to PRIDE101 Add PRIDE101 to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 09:29 AM
All BlueGrass Rivals

I think the original post was in regards to class rankings. If that is the case, Coach K's Duke classes were ranked higher than Coach Cal's in 2016, 2017, and in 2018 Duke and Oregon are currently ranked higher.
Send a private message to Westside Add Westside to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 09:29 AM

Stardust is a splendid one to beholdStardust is a splendid one to beholdStardust is a splendid one to beholdStardust is a splendid one to beholdStardust is a splendid one to beholdStardust is a splendid one to beholdStardust is a splendid one to beholdStardust is a splendid one to behold
I disagree that winning national championships is Cal's #1 priority. How many times have you heard the word "Championships" come from his mouth in comparison to the "Number of kids who come here and get drafted". His formula will guarantee him 20 wins per season, and he loves to win. But if you want to win championships, you cannot do it by rebuilding year after year. Thus, his number one goal must be the check-marks he can take into his number one passion, recruits living rooms!
Old 01-10-2018, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by Westside View Post
I think the original post was in regards to class rankings. If that is the case, Coach K's Duke classes were ranked higher than Coach Cal's in 2016, 2017, and in 2018 Duke and Oregon are currently ranked higher.
Not sure who you are using for the above, but there are 100's of rankings out there. The most quoted is the RSCI, which has no bias to kids that come to their camps, coaches who support their network, or ties to the AAU circuit. So based on RSCI, UK has had the top class since Cal has been here for all but 2 years, 2014 & 15, that's it!
Old 01-10-2018, 09:36 AM
All BlueGrass Rivals

Originally Posted by Stardust View Post
I disagree that winning national championships is Cal's #1 priority. How many times have you heard the word "Championships" come from his mouth in comparison to the "Number of kids who come here and get drafted". His formula will guarantee him 20 wins per season, and he loves to win. But if you want to win championships, you cannot do it by rebuilding year after year. Thus, his number one goal must be the check-marks he can take into his number one passion, recruits living rooms!
I agree 100% with this statement. Not to get off topic but doesn't he work for the University Of Kentucky? Shouldnt he be more worried about winning championships as opposed to producing draft picks? Some may say they go hand in hand, but not necessarily.
jax (01-11-2018)
Old 01-10-2018, 11:24 AM
2nd String
I would love to see his job description and/or the goals of the University of Kentucky pertaining to the basketball program. Would that include national championships as a priority?
Old 01-10-2018, 01:01 PM
Starter
Liked 357 Times in 212 Posts
Cat Daddy is an unknown quantity at this point
Swag is short for "Swagger" and everyone knows that Cal is confident and arrogant, in a good way. What I was insinuating, is when Cal first came to UK, he was king of the recruiting game. If he wanted you, he got you. Over the past couple of years, he has struggled getting a top five guy, that he typically got earlier at UK. I guess the question is, with so many other programs accepting the one and done philosophy, is Cal's brand starting to fade?
Send a private message to Cat Daddy Add Cat Daddy to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 03:41 PM

Liked 831 Times in 656 Posts
Spud6 is a jewel in the roughSpud6 is a jewel in the roughSpud6 is a jewel in the rough
Cal showed he hasn’t lost his swag and he showed that in the postgame interview when he asked the reporters a questioned and only one reporter answered. Cal responded with, “And the rest of you all were silent cause you all don’t know sh**!”
Old 01-11-2018, 07:01 AM
Equipment Manager
Liked 35 Times in 25 Posts
jax is on a distinguished road
With all of the talent and NBA lottery picks that Cal has had, he has won ONE National Championship. I would call that underachieving. I think other coaches can use that in recruiting to entice those players that want to win to come. For as many of Cal's "one and dones" that have made it, there are just as many that haven't, and are either in the D league or not playing at all. I think that has hurt Cal's "brand" more than anything.
Send a private message to jax Add jax to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by Cat Daddy View Post
Swag is short for "Swagger" and everyone knows that Cal is confident and arrogant, in a good way. What I was insinuating, is when Cal first came to UK, he was king of the recruiting game. If he wanted you, he got you. Over the past couple of years, he has struggled getting a top five guy, that he typically got earlier at UK. I guess the question is, with so many other programs accepting the one and done philosophy, is Cal's brand starting to fade?
Top Five recruits at UK under Cal

2016 - Fox
2015 - Skal
2014 - KAT
2013 - Randle, And. Harrison
2012 - Noel
2011 - Davis, MKG
2010 - Knight
2009 - Wall

I'd argue that it has stayed consistent since he got here. Only twice has he got the #1 overall, which has gone between Duke, UNC and Kansas (once Arizona). So I'm still not convinced that his quality has shifted. Quantity can't be argued, he brings in more 5 stars than anyone. That's not the problem though, it's the one-and-down that is the problem.

.... but, this is the question we should really be focused on ...
Old 01-11-2018, 07:08 AM

Now with the elimination of the one-and-done, is Cal done with college basketball? Cal's whole "Swag" has been built around, "you come to me, I put you in the NBA in one year". Now, those kids we are debating, the Top 5-10 recruits, are rarely going to go to college at all. So, can Cal recruit 4-5 Star players that want to stay in college???

BGR-Kentucky High School Sports - BlueGrassRivals » College Sports » Basketball