Rate This Thread - Kentucky 2019 Mr. Football Candidates.

Like this thread? Help the BGR community grow by sharing it with your friends.

Old 06-10-2019, 09:34 PM
Starter
Liked 708 Times in 433 Posts
#55PirateFan is on a distinguished road
Default Kentucky 2019 Mr. Football Candidates
Who do you guys think are some Mr. Football candidates this coming season? One from each class if possible. I'm bored and would like to know who some of the top players in the commonwealth are in 2019. Could it possibly be a lineman that takes home the trophy, or a position other than a QB, WR, or RB? Thoughts?
Send a private message to #55PirateFan Add #55PirateFan to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote

Click Here to become a member and join in on the discussions at BGR. Our membership is always 100% FREE.

Old 06-10-2019, 09:39 PM
Head Coach
Liked 700 Times in 522 Posts
FoSho is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by #55PirateFan View Post
Who do you guys think are some Mr. Football candidates this coming season? One from each class if possible. I'm bored and would like to know who some of the top players in the commonwealth are in 2019. Could it possibly be a lineman that takes home the trophy, or a position other than a QB, WR, or RB? Thoughts?
I don't see how anyone could be more deserving than Boyle County's Reese Smith.

He's been All-State all three years and has been so on offense (WR) and defense (S). Boyle County's alltime leading receiver and maybe even all time in INT.

And he still has a season left.
#55PirateFan (06-10-2019), plantmanky (06-10-2019)
Send a private message to FoSho Add FoSho to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 09:45 PM
Asst. Coach
Liked 425 Times in 307 Posts
plantmanky is on a distinguished road
Per several that have a vote on the matter, who ever decides to commit to UK.
#55PirateFan (06-10-2019)
Send a private message to plantmanky Add plantmanky to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 09:46 PM
Starter
Originally Posted by FoSho View Post
I don't see how anyone could be more deserving than Boyle County's Reese Smith.

He's been All-State all three years and has been so on offense (WR) and defense (S). Boyle County's alltime leading receiver and maybe even all time in INT.

And he still has a season left.
Reese would definitely be one of my candidates. He would probably be the guy I'd choose out of 4A as the top player in that class. Great player and heard he's a great kid as well.
Send a private message to #55PirateFan Add #55PirateFan to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 09:48 PM
Head Coach
Originally Posted by plantmanky View Post
Per several that have a vote on the matter, who ever decides to commit to UK.
Like WanDale?

It didn't matter for him and with the numbers Boyle County's offense is going to put up, Reese Smith is going to be hard to beat.
plantmanky (06-10-2019)
Send a private message to FoSho Add FoSho to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 05:55 AM
Water Boy
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Footballfan33 is on a distinguished road
Beau Allen, Reese Smith, Devito Tisdale and my sleeper pick is Jake Sloan.
Send a private message to Footballfan33 Add Footballfan33 to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 09:18 AM
Head Coach
Jake Sloan is a great receiver and if he has a capable replacement at QB this season look out.
Old 06-11-2019, 11:06 AM
Equipment Manager
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
Corbin is on a distinguished road
The best player is probably Cummings as far as wow factor but unless he commits to UK, I bet Beau wins. Reese Smith has had the best overall career and would certainly be worthy. He may not translate the best at the next level, but he is a **** of a talent.
Send a private message to Corbin Add Corbin to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 02:32 PM
Head Coach
Originally Posted by Corbin View Post
The best player is probably Cummings as far as wow factor but unless he commits to UK, I bet Beau wins. Reese Smith has had the best overall career and would certainly be worthy. He may not translate the best at the next level, but he is a **** of a talent.
Cummings has a lot of potential but he isn't even in the same sentence as Smith.

Based upon actual numbers, Allen is the only other player even near Smith (Boyle Co QB Lanter and Jake Sloan from Pulaski Co also have great career numbers) but an objective comparison of Smith being All-state on both sides of the ball and his 10ish INT and 40ish TDs BEFORE HIS SENIOR SEASON makes it clear.

If Boyle Co has a big year, Smith will have a huge role in that and it'll be an easy call in the end.

Talk to me in December.
Old 06-11-2019, 02:59 PM
Starter
Cummings has a lot of potential but he isn't even in the same sentence as Smith.

Based upon actual numbers, Allen is the only other player even near Smith (Boyle Co QB Lanter and Jake Sloan from Pulaski Co also have great career numbers) but an objective comparison of Smith being All-state on both sides of the ball and his 10ish INT and 40ish TDs BEFORE HIS SENIOR SEASON makes it clear.

If Boyle Co has a big year, Smith will have a huge role in that and it'll be an easy call in the end.

Talk to me in December.
While I'll agree that Smith is the better all around player, I'm with Corbin on this one. If Beau Allen has a good year then I think he's a lock. And I'll tell you why. He's a QB and he plays in Lexington! The last two years WR have won the award. And I think they'll use the excuse of another position should win it. So if I was betting I'd put my money on Allen to be the front runner. But if they do it the way it should be done and do it honestly, then I believe Reese should be in the lead for it ( on stats so far). I believe its close with these two and maybe a couple more. It's all going to come down to how they play this year. If Reese has a monster year and Beau is average, or vice versa, then it'll be an easy decision. But if it's close, I do believe Beau wins because hes a QB out of Lexington and it's the "sexier position". Just my two cents.
Old 06-11-2019, 03:15 PM
Head Coach
While I'll agree that Smith is the better all around player, I'm with Corbin on this one. If Beau Allen has a good year then I think he's a lock. And I'll tell you why. He's a QB and he plays in Lexington! The last two years WR have won the award. And I think they'll use the excuse of another position should win it. So if I was betting I'd put my money on Allen to be the front runner. But if they do it the way it should be done and do it honestly, then I believe Reese should be in the lead for it ( on stats so far). I believe its close with these two and maybe a couple more. It's all going to come down to how they play this year. If Reese has a monster year and Beau is average, or vice versa, then it'll be an easy decision. But if it's close, I do believe Beau wins because hes a QB out of Lexington and it's the "sexier position". Just my two cents.
I don't disagree that the deck is stacked against him but the most deserving kid (at least as of now) is without question Reese Smith and with the season he is poised to have, he will be hard to deny.

I can pretty much guarantee that Smith wins the new Coach Voted Award however. Coaches aren't swayed by anything other than WHO'S THE BEST FOOTBALL PLAYER.
#55PirateFan (06-11-2019), Hatz (06-15-2019)
Old 06-11-2019, 03:32 PM
Starter
I don't disagree that the deck is stacked against him but the most deserving kid (at least as of now) is without question Reese Smith and with the season he is poised to have, he will be hard to deny.

I can pretty much guarantee that Smith wins the new Coach Voted Award however. Coaches aren't swayed by anything other than WHO'S THE BEST FOOTBALL PLAYER.
You dont have to convince me Pal, up to this point, Reese is my choice as well. I just feel that the committee (and all their knowledge and understanding of the game, LOL) would rather see a QB from Lexington who's going to play at UK win it rather than give it to a more deserving kid from Danville that plays WR and is going next door to play at WVU. I think Reese has to have a "lights out" year and Beau will have to struggle in order for him to win it. But, like I said, you don't have to convince me. I've seen them both play live. Allen absolutely put on a clinic against us. Smith didnt have his best game against us, I believe he was hurt, but he was amazing. Both great players and will be at the next level. I just think Reese is the better all around player but Beau will be the committees choice.
FoSho (06-11-2019)
Old 06-11-2019, 04:34 PM
Asst. Coach
Liked 453 Times in 288 Posts
MayfieldCardinal will become famous soon enough
As others have already stated, Reese Smith is the first to come to mind. I would have to think on it to decide who else I would think should be on this list
Send a private message to MayfieldCardinal Add MayfieldCardinal to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 05:49 PM
Head Coach
You dont have to convince me Pal, up to this point, Reese is my choice as well. I just feel that the committee (and all their knowledge and understanding of the game, LOL) would rather see a QB from Lexington who's going to play at UK win it rather than give it to a more deserving kid from Danville that plays WR and is going next door to play at WVU. I think Reese has to have a "lights out" year and Beau will have to struggle in order for him to win it. But, like I said, you don't have to convince me. I've seen them both play live. Allen absolutely put on a clinic against us. Smith didnt have his best game against us, I believe he was hurt, but he was amazing. Both great players and will be at the next level. I just think Reese is the better all around player but Beau will be the committees choice.
I understand what you're saying buddy, my rebuttal:

Versus Belfry, Smith broke his hand/dislocated his middle knuckle in the first quarter, didn't tell anyone but our QB, taped it on his own and had 4 TD catches and a pick the rest of the game. It might have been the greatest single game performance in BCHS history under the circumstances.

Beau will lose several games and might win one game in the playoffs, get a running clock versus Boyle while Reese and the Rebels might very well go undefeated and win the 4A title.

Like I said...if things play out the way I think they will anyone that can look themselves in the mirror and take the Mr Football away from someone because another kid is going to UK is a joke.
#55PirateFan (06-11-2019)
Old 06-11-2019, 06:00 PM
Starter
Liked 138 Times in 116 Posts
UK1fan is on a distinguished road
Michael Mayer TE/LB CovCath.
Send a private message to UK1fan Add UK1fan to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 06:26 PM
Statistician
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Nygfan106wins is on a distinguished road
Riley Preece. Qb /safety.
Send a private message to Nygfan106wins Add Nygfan106wins to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 11:06 PM
Starter
I understand what you're saying buddy, my rebuttal:

Versus Belfry, Smith broke his hand/dislocated his middle knuckle in the first quarter, didn't tell anyone but our QB, taped it on his own and had 4 TD catches and a pick the rest of the game. It might have been the greatest single game performance in BCHS history under the circumstances.

Beau will lose several games and might win one game in the playoffs, get a running clock versus Boyle while Reese and the Rebels might very well go undefeated and win the 4A title.

Like I said...if things play out the way I think they will anyone that can look themselves in the mirror and take the Mr Football away from someone because another kid is going to UK is a joke.
Absolutely agree my friend.
FoSho (06-11-2019)
Old 06-11-2019, 11:09 PM
Starter
Originally Posted by UK1fan View Post
Michael Mayer TE/LB CovCath.
Now we're talking!!! I've been waiting for someone to bring this kids name into the conversation. I didnt want to right away. One of my favorite athletes that will play Kentucky high school football next season! Why? Because he is headed to South Bend to play for my beloved Fighting Irish of Notre Dame!!! This kid is a **** good football player!
Old 06-11-2019, 11:13 PM
Starter
Got a question, is it possible for an offensive lineman to win the award? Has a lineman ever won it? What about players like John Young, OL from CAL or Walker Parks, OL from FD? Do they have a shot? Why, why not?
Old 06-11-2019, 11:16 PM
Starter
Nobody has mentioned names like RB Landon Bartleson from Boyle (another Irish commit), S Vito Tisdale from Bowling Green, or DT Octavios Oxedine from North Hardin. Are these guys in the running?
Old 06-12-2019, 01:11 AM
Head Coach
Got a question, is it possible for an offensive lineman to win the award? Has a lineman ever won it? What about players like John Young, OL from CAL or Walker Parks, OL from FD? Do they have a shot? Why, why not?
Not that they aren't deserving, but it's hard to quantify what they do compared to skill kids.
#55PirateFan (06-12-2019)
Old 06-12-2019, 01:13 AM
Statistician
Liked 24 Times in 21 Posts
Warriorhawk17 is on a distinguished road
Jackson Hensley wr/db class A pikeville
Send a private message to Warriorhawk17 Add Warriorhawk17 to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 01:14 AM
Head Coach
Nobody has mentioned names like RB Landon Bartleson from Boyle (another Irish commit), S Vito Tisdale from Bowling Green, or DT Octavios Oxedine from North Hardin. Are these guys in the running?
Not really.

Tisdale maybe to an extent but Oxendine is a lineman and Bartleson has been hurt too often and simply hasn't put up the numbers. Heck, he's 4th on his own team in production imo.
Old 06-12-2019, 01:33 AM
Starter
Not that they aren't deserving, but it's hard to quantify what they do compared to skill kids.
That's unfortunate. I just wonder how much "quantity" the skill players would have without them?
64black&gold (06-18-2019), FoSho (06-12-2019)
Old 06-12-2019, 09:25 AM
Head Coach
That's unfortunate. I just wonder how much "quantity" the skill players would have without them?
Not much. Lol
Old 06-12-2019, 09:30 AM
Starter
Liked 724 Times in 475 Posts
Patriot1 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Warriorhawk17 View Post
Jackson Hensley wr/db class A pikeville
Thanks Warriorhawk for mentioning Jackson, now this is one of the MVPís of my life and guess what it wonít be in any news paper and it wonít get him an award. Now their has been some great athletes names mentioned in this post and some not in which are well deserved. I personally like the ones that pick the team up in a game and lead them with their heart and soul to get to their destination that they have set for their team. Now that in a lot cases isnít necessarily the one with all the stats and the headlines. Who ever receives that honor to be MVP has my blessing and my support. Sorry if I stepped on any toes I am not writing this for that purpose but for the love I have for this game and all these young men (especially Jackson) that have worked their tales off to make this game what it is today. Good luck to all and mostly hope for an injury free year for them all but as alwaysGO PANTHERS!!!
Send a private message to Patriot1 Add Patriot1 to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 09:53 AM
Head Coach
Hensley is a great player. If he was in a more pass oriented offense I think he'd have some gaudy stats too. Maybe his parents will get a job in Danville in the next few weeks.

Old 06-12-2019, 09:59 AM
Starter
Liked 724 Times in 475 Posts
Patriot1 is on a distinguished road
Hensley is a great player. If he was in a more pass oriented offense I think he'd have some gaudy stats too. Maybe his parents will get a job in Danville in the next few weeks.

Thatís funny FoSho but always enjoy talking with you and sometimes poking at you in fun. Wish you and all the Boyle County fans and players the best of luck this year and hope and pray you guys stay healthy
FoSho (06-12-2019)
Send a private message to Patriot1 Add Patriot1 to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 10:10 AM
Head Coach
Originally Posted by Patriot1 View Post
Thatís funny FoSho but always enjoy talking with you and sometimes poking at you in fun. Wish you and all the Boyle County fans and players the best of luck this year and hope and pray you guys stay healthy
You too buddy, maybe we'll get another middle school game vs each other this coming season?
Old 06-12-2019, 10:31 AM
Starter
Liked 138 Times in 116 Posts
UK1fan is on a distinguished road
Now we're talking!!! I've been waiting for someone to bring this kids name into the conversation. I didnt want to right away. One of my favorite athletes that will play Kentucky high school football next season! Why? Because he is headed to South Bend to play for my beloved Fighting Irish of Notre Dame!!! This kid is a **** good football player!
One of the top 3 kids in KY 6'6 245 pounds.
Send a private message to UK1fan Add UK1fan to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote

BGR-Kentucky High School Sports - BlueGrassRivals » Kentucky High School and Middle School Sports » Football