Rate This Thread - UK and UL.

Like this thread? Help the BGR community grow by sharing it with your friends.

Old 09-20-2018, 11:48 PM
Statistician
Liked 44 Times in 32 Posts
BoyleCo is on a distinguished road
Default UK and UL
The talent level in Kentucky high School football has skyrocketed in the last few years. I had a lengthy discussion on this topic with a top Rivals evaluator this week. The 2019 class is good, 2020 class is loaded, 2021 class is loaded, and 2022 class looks very good as well. I see the 2020 kids getting offers from Cincinnati, Ohio State, and Tennessee and the 2021 kids being looked at by the same schools with a few being looked at by Missouri, Arkansas, and Penn State. Talking to the Rivals people, these kids parents, it seems UK and UL arenít even looking at these kids yet. By looking I mean following them on Twitter, sending them camp info weekly, having them attend games, etc. Whatís up with that? Grass always greener?
64SUR (09-20-2018), FoSho (09-20-2018), Nygfan106wins (09-20-2018)
Send a private message to BoyleCo Add BoyleCo to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote

Click Here to become a member and join in on the discussions at BGR. Our membership is always 100% FREE.

Old 09-20-2018, 11:56 PM
Asst. Coach
Liked 545 Times in 400 Posts
FoSho is on a distinguished road
I know for a fact that UK thinks they are bigger than KY HS football players. They don't show their interest early enough and think they can swoop in and get any kid they want in the state. They are finding out that isn't true.

It will continue. And so will KY kids going elsewhere.

For instance, if UT can find it important enough to offer Reese Smith (arguably one of the 3-4 best players in KY as a Jr) then why can't UK? It could very well cost them in the long run. Not sure I've EVER watched a game that WanDale Robinson and/or Reese Smith have played in when they weren't THE BEST PLAYER ON THE FIELD.

Both could very well not go to UK. How many other highly rated kids are going elsewhere?

The staff at UK is very good at recruiting but have failed miserably recently at showing love to KY kids...and it's sad IMO.
Send a private message to FoSho Add FoSho to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 11:57 PM
State Champion

Liked 1,421 Times in 1,033 Posts
Scotty_Bronson is an unknown quantity at this point
its been like this for years. Stoops has done a better job at "sealing the borders" UKs TE coach Vince Marrow(sp?), is a HUGE part of that as well as a huge part of getting other higher level recruits as well. I donthink however, that alot of these kids get over looked, not just by UK and U of L, due to the last several years of KY football simply not being as good as the rest of the country, atleast from outsiders looking in. I think you are going to see that change moving doward though. With players like Josh Allen being over looked by several colleges when he came out of HS in New Jersey. He was undersized to be a DE or ILB and too slow to be a DB. now he will likely be a draft pick as an OLB with potential to move to a FS position in the NFL. Kash daniel is another one. He is having a great year thus far. Inthink you are going to see the states biggest universities start to close the borders. but by the same token, the door still has to swing our way for either program to be on an elite level.
Send a private message to Scotty_Bronson Add Scotty_Bronson to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 11:59 PM
State Champion

Liked 1,421 Times in 1,033 Posts
Scotty_Bronson is an unknown quantity at this point
UK has gotten good at developing kids. Hopefully they start seeing the Kash Daniels of the state and start looking at these kids more.
Send a private message to Scotty_Bronson Add Scotty_Bronson to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 12:30 AM
Head Coach
Liked 884 Times in 633 Posts
Hound05 is on a distinguished road
Uk actually has a lot of ky kids on the roster. Itís the skill kids from my we donít really have on there. But letís be honest. Thereís not a player in ky thatís better than Lynn Bowden at WR or Benny snell at RB. Maybe itís a scholly issue? I donít know. Iíd love to see more great in state talent staying. Like Damien Harris and such. You always here about the Josh Allenís who were under recruited in Hs and turned out good. But for everyone of him thereís 100s who havenít. So I donít really know how I feel about this. But it sure does make me feel good seeing Kash Daniels killing it
Send a private message to Hound05 Add Hound05 to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 12:37 AM
Asst. Coach
Liked 545 Times in 400 Posts
FoSho is on a distinguished road
Based upon some of the kids that have received an offer from UK and the KY kids that haven't....I'd say the staff is blind to what reality is.

For every Cash Daniel their is on the team, their are plenty of KY boy misses.
Send a private message to FoSho Add FoSho to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 02:16 AM
Head Coach
Originally Posted by FoSho View Post
Based upon some of the kids that have received an offer from UK and the KY kids that haven't....I'd say the staff is blind to what reality is.

For every Cash Daniel their is on the team, their are plenty of KY boy misses.
No youíre right. We have missed tons. But I donít know why, Iím reality none of us do. We got one of the best recruiters out there. I have a hard time believing he can evaluate other states talent and not ours. Like I said maybe itís a number thing, do you wanna take a chance on the kid here or go for a kid thatís rated higher and has played on a higher level of competition. Of course it could be nothing to do with that. I donít know. I donít think they expected Kash to contribute as early as he has. I know I didnít. Then youíve got the SEC factor too. Playing at UK is tougher than playing a MAC school or one of those types. Maybe they donít think our kids can do it??? The last couple of years talent has got out of ky. But overall Iím pleased with the job theyíve done recruiting. Hopefully we will see some more of our boys in Blue.
Send a private message to Hound05 Add Hound05 to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 08:12 AM
All BlueGrass Rivals

Liked 269 Times in 166 Posts
BlackcatAlum is just really niceBlackcatAlum is just really niceBlackcatAlum is just really niceBlackcatAlum is just really nice
Originally Posted by FoSho View Post
I know for a fact that UK thinks they are bigger than KY HS football players. They don't show their interest early enough and think they can swoop in and get any kid they want in the state. They are finding out that isn't true.

It will continue. And so will KY kids going elsewhere.

For instance, if UT can find it important enough to offer Reese Smith (arguably one of the 3-4 best players in KY as a Jr) then why can't UK? It could very well cost them in the long run. Not sure I've EVER watched a game that WanDale Robinson and/or Reese Smith have played in when they weren't THE BEST PLAYER ON THE FIELD.

Both could very well not go to UK. How many other highly rated kids are going elsewhere?

The staff at UK is very good at recruiting but have failed miserably recently at showing love to KY kids...and it's sad IMO.
Most of the power 5 level recruits from Kentucky think theyíre above UK, not the other way around. Thereís a lot of reasons for that and I think Stoops is getting that taken care of. Also, junior day at UK every year is when most of these in state kids are evaluated. Sometimes there may not be a need for certain positions or maybe they think they have a better recruit lined up from elsewhere. A lot factors in.
64black&gold (09-22-2018)
Send a private message to BlackcatAlum Add BlackcatAlum to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 09:34 AM
BGR Staff

Liked 6,069 Times in 3,857 Posts
Granny Bear is a jewel in the roughGranny Bear is a jewel in the roughGranny Bear is a jewel in the rough
I remember when Stoops took a helicopter to watch Damien Harris play. Didn't change his mind though
Old 09-21-2018, 09:40 AM
Starter
Liked 583 Times in 369 Posts
footballfever is on a distinguished road
Florida, Calf, Tx, Ga have over 50% of the 4-5 star recruits in the nation. Ky usually has 1-3 of the 4-5 star recruits and I do think those kids for the most part believe they are above KY. Kentucky is probably in the worst location in the nation for recruiting with all SEC south and all Big 10 north. Itís easy to look at the Blue Chippers and see they are good. Finding the other ones is the difficult thing. Not only do they have the physical attributes to play in the SEC but are they willing to put the 2-3 years maybe even with a redshirt year before they see the field. I personally think Coach Stoops does a great job!
Send a private message to footballfever Add footballfever to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 10:19 AM
Cheerleader
Liked 69 Times in 51 Posts
Rip/Spin is on a distinguished road
IMO the biggest UK flub in my lifetime was with Shaun Alexander. Billy Curry said he didn't fit UK's offense.
Send a private message to Rip/Spin Add Rip/Spin to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 02:06 PM
Asst. Coach
Liked 462 Times in 313 Posts
RAMDAD50 is on a distinguished road
Ok....make a list ok Kentucky kids that went to Kentucky and made a impact or even stayed for four years in the last 10 years! You would be hard pressed to come up with 10 or 12 kids! The SEC is bigger the talent in the state of Kentucky! If you can’t see that your crazy
Hound05 (09-21-2018)
Send a private message to RAMDAD50 Add RAMDAD50 to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 02:39 PM
Head Coach
Originally Posted by RAMDAD50 View Post
Ok....make a list ok Kentucky kids that went to Kentucky and made a impact or even stayed for four years in the last 10 years! You would be hard pressed to come up with 10 or 12 kids! The SEC is bigger the talent in the state of Kentucky! If you canít see that your crazy
Youíre right. Ky has a lot of good athletes but most of them arenít SEC caliber. To be honest. I havenít seen a kid in the last 3 years other than maybe a belfry lineman that weíve played that could cut it in the SEC. and that lineman probably wasnít SEC caliber.
Old 09-21-2018, 02:53 PM
Cheerleader
Liked 134 Times in 105 Posts
TheHotSnakes is on a distinguished road
Saying KY is "loaded" with talent is a huge over statement.

Are there some top level guys who can play at just about any school in the country? Yeah. But, Kentucky doesn't have a high volume of players who can play on an FBS level.
RAMDAD50 (09-21-2018)
Send a private message to TheHotSnakes Add TheHotSnakes to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 03:04 PM
Water Boy
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
CBDV is on a distinguished road
Contrary to what most kids parents say, Ky. is not loaded with talent.

Are there kids who could contribute at UK and UL in the state, yes.
Send a private message to CBDV Add CBDV to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 03:23 PM
BGR Staff

Liked 3,723 Times in 2,067 Posts
EKUAlum05 is just really niceEKUAlum05 is just really niceEKUAlum05 is just really niceEKUAlum05 is just really niceEKUAlum05 is just really nice
Here is what my take is:

I have seen High School Football up close in several states and seen many Division 1 players

1. Kentucky is far from LOADED in talent

2. I do think the State of Kentucky is underrated for talent though.

3. The reason you see more kids with offers now is because of a combination of #1 and #2 and the emergence of Social media and more access to getting film out.

4. D-1 offers have a lot of variables and many of which negatively effect Kentucky.

I have seen numerous D-1 kids in Georgia... some even with multiple Power 5 offers... who have had kids in Kentucky that I have seen that are every bit as talented and not had but maybe 1 or 2 small Offers.

I have seen schools in Georgia with 7-8 players with D-1 offers. Of those players 3-4 were every bit the superstar you would expect. 1 or 2 were D-1 worthy, but had inflated sheets. Another 1 or 2 should never had a D-1 offer. This comes down to the politics of recruiting. Kids get offered at these D-1 factories because they want an "in" with either a bigger player or a relative coming up the pipeline. Coaches at these schools also leverage College Coaches to offer kids who probably don't deserve it so they can earn favor.

There aren't many schools in KY that can consistently pump out the talent to do this.
Send a private message to EKUAlum05 Add EKUAlum05 to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 04:26 PM
Head Coach
It basically boils down to what the 2 said above. Itís like little league to me. Everyone thinks their kid should pitch. Kentucky has some kids here and there that are special. About about 3-4 that could maybe make a D1 team. But like I said. I havenít seen a kid the past 3 years play against us that should get an SEC scholly.
Old 09-21-2018, 04:37 PM
Asst. Coach
Liked 241 Times in 195 Posts
T-CATS is on a distinguished road
Ky football can’t win games with KY kids alone. There aren’t many 5 star or even 4 star kids playing on Friday Nights in this state. UK is starting to hopefully turn the corner and be a winning program but they have got to get the best kids they can to be competitive in the best conference in College Football.
Hound05 (09-21-2018)
Send a private message to T-CATS Add T-CATS to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 04:58 PM
Head Coach
Originally Posted by T-CATS View Post
Ky football canít win games with KY kids alone. There arenít many 5 star or even 4 star kids playing on Friday Nights in this state. UK is starting to hopefully turn the corner and be a winning program but they have got to get the best kids they can to be competitive in the best conference in College Football.
Thatís right. Iím not sure what Wandale Robinson is rated. But he should be just a low 4 star in my opinion. Iíve only seen 4 or 5 of his games. Heís fast and athletic. But so are a lot of kids. Heís not close to Damien Harris. The kid from Louisville is pretty good too. Not sure what his name is. But everyone else in ky is low 3 high 2 *
64black&gold (09-22-2018)
Old 09-21-2018, 05:01 PM
2nd String
Liked 177 Times in 122 Posts
FarristownFlyer is an unknown quantity at this point
Send this to the Herald Leader...
Send a private message to FarristownFlyer Add FarristownFlyer to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 05:03 PM
2nd String
Liked 177 Times in 122 Posts
FarristownFlyer is an unknown quantity at this point
Same thing when Luke Stocker was at Madison Southern...KY and Louisville NEVER sniffed him...Phillip Fulmer and Tommy Tuberville contacted him constantly...the guy is 30 years old and still playing in the NFL.
Send a private message to FarristownFlyer Add FarristownFlyer to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 05:04 PM
Head Coach
Liked 250 Times in 185 Posts
Tica will become famous soon enoughTica will become famous soon enough
UK has missed a boatload of players over the years who played pro ball. It was not that the players got a better offer elsewhere, it was that UK never offered them in the first place. And face it, for a period of time 10-15 years ago, there were areas in western Ky where UK was not welcome.

But not only has the talent level picked up a bit, the means of identifying and promoting talent has improved. 15 years ago, few people paid attention to combines and there was hardly any social media and a lot of people did not even have decent broadband yet. If someone had a great game, you read about it in the paper the next morning. Now if someone has a good game, there is video and stats circulating on multiple platforms that night. People (recruiters and scouts) have the ability to follow multiple games in near real time. More kids are going to camps and working in improving techniques that will get them noticed. There are a lot of reasons for the uptick.
Send a private message to Tica Add Tica to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 05:34 PM
Asst. Coach
There is no way of telling what a kid will become.Some keep saying this guy and that guy that’s played in the NFL.****...if a recruiter knew for certain what a kid would become recruiting would. Be a cake walk! Two point...
1- Cash Danials...as you can see I’m a Ram fan and I watched Cash play all four years of High school.I thought it was a joke that Kentucky would offer him because he didn’t stand out enough in high school to make me think he could play in the SEC! Cash is getting it done...way to go buddy!
2- The Elam kid...5 star flop! He would’ve had a hard time playing at EKU!

Both Kentucky kids!! There is no way of knowing how a kid is going to pan out! Needless to say there isn’t to many in state kids that can play in the SEC
Send a private message to RAMDAD50 Add RAMDAD50 to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 05:53 PM
Equipment Manager
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
AverageJoe is on a distinguished road
UK can't get 5 out of the top 10 kids in state each year. Again, why would a kid want to go to UK and win 6/7 games? UK would rather get third or fourth kids out of FL/GA/OH then hit Instate hard.
Send a private message to AverageJoe Add AverageJoe to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 07:01 PM
Equipment Manager
There is no way of telling what a kid will become.Some keep saying this guy and that guy thatís played in the NFL.****...if a recruiter knew for certain what a kid would become recruiting would. Be a cake walk! Two point...
1- Cash Danials...as you can see Iím a Ram fan and I watched Cash play all four years of High school.I thought it was a joke that Kentucky would offer him because he didnít stand out enough in high school to make me think he could play in the SEC! Cash is getting it done...way to go buddy!
2- The Elam kid...5 star flop! He wouldíve had a hard time playing at EKU!

Both Kentucky kids!! There is no way of knowing how a kid is going to pan out! Needless to say there isnít to many in state kids that can play in the SEC
Coaches knew Kash* would be the hardest working kid on the team from his work ethic in high school. Coaches also knew Elam never worked hard but took him based on his size and "5 star" rating. This is why college coaches make 100-250k per year to motivate the kids to work and to be the best player they can be. Unfortunately, UK staff could not break Elam. I think if he would have went to Alabama he would have either quit playing football or already been playing on Sundays. JMO
Send a private message to AverageJoe Add AverageJoe to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 07:04 PM
Asst. Coach
I think UK coaches are doing a very good job with recruiting...**** to get some of the kids they’ve gotten is amazing! What did they have to offer them?? 11th best team in the SEC?
The recruiting is top notch...play calling and scheming not so good
Old 09-21-2018, 07:06 PM
Asst. Coach
Originally Posted by AverageJoe View Post
Coaches knew Kash* would be the hardest working kid on the team from his work ethic in high school. Coaches also knew Elam never worked hard but took him based on his size and "5 star" rating. This is why college coaches make 100-250k per year to motivate the kids to work and to be the best player they can be. Unfortunately, UK staff could not break Elam. I think if he would have went to Alabama he would have either quit playing football or already been playing on Sundays. JMO
Sorry for the wrong Kash
Old 09-21-2018, 07:29 PM
Equipment Manager
I think UK coaches are doing a very good job with recruiting...**** to get some of the kids theyíve gotten is amazing! What did they have to offer them?? 11th best team in the SEC?
The recruiting is top notch...play calling and scheming not so good
It seems to me that the kids don't hold any higher SEC offers or want earlier PT. My point is UK can't keep Top Ten instate talent instate, and I don't blame them. Not many kids would choose UK over Florida, Alabama, or Georgia. That is what I meant by 3/4 tier players from other states.
Old 09-21-2018, 10:12 PM
Water Boy
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
bigcat95 is on a distinguished road
I'd like to hear some of your opinions on why KY doesn't produce more elite level athletes? I know population plays a role in it but other states just produce better athletes as a whole. Alabama, Mississippi, and Louisiana are similar geographically but produce far more D1 level kids
Send a private message to bigcat95 Add bigcat95 to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 02:19 AM
Statistician
Liked 44 Times in 32 Posts
BoyleCo is on a distinguished road
Ok I am not talking about the 5 star kids. I am talking about 3 Star kids with offers from Tennessee, Missouri, Arkansas, Mississippi State, Penn state. They are being recruited as sophomores and UK isnít sniffing them yet. They donít look instate until they after their junior year or senior year. Just saying itís odd to be so far behind. A lot of these sophomores donít have offers yet but are being actively recruited. If they pan out, UK is far behind. It works for b-ball because we are elite. Not the same in football. We usually fill our roster with 2 Star and no star kids while 3 stars go to bigger schools.
Send a private message to BoyleCo Add BoyleCo to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote

BGR-Kentucky High School Sports - BlueGrassRivals » Kentucky High School and Middle School Sports » Football