View Poll Results: Who is the King?
Johnson Central 5 12.50%
Belfry 18 45.00%
Corbin 14 35.00%
Pikeville 1 2.50%
Harlan County 1 2.50%
Other (Specify below in a comment) 1 2.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Rate This Thread - Who Is the King Of The Mountains For 2017?.

Like this thread? Help the BGR community grow by sharing it with your friends.

Old 12-03-2017, 08:07 PM
All BlueGrass Rivals

Liked 3,248 Times in 2,559 Posts
pjdoug will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Spud6 View Post
This is my question. I normally go by who the WYMT polls follow with the mountain top 10 ranks. How they determine that. I have no clue what so ever.
I don't really know either .lol. but some people will claim an east Kentucky county has mountains and a southeast or south central county doesn't when in reality some of the southern counties have higher peaks. Harlan County has the highest point in the state but their schools are not on the side of the mountain either. Corbin isn't on the highest peak, but I would consider them as much of a mountain team as most in the state .

Click Here to become a member and join in on the discussions at BGR. Our membership is always 100% FREE.

Old 12-03-2017, 08:48 PM
Starter
Liked 525 Times in 376 Posts
Hound05 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by smoke1015 View Post
Estep, in my opinion, throws the ball better than Sizemore. He won't be the bruising runner, but dear Lord he's fast and athletic. His arm probably has 20+ more yards on it than Sizemore's. He's not quite as accurate yet, but way stronger arm. It will be a totally different offense to have to defend... I think a tougher offense to defend.

You can add a lot more option stuff, IMO, with Estep. This could open up so much more stuff. But you do have to be more careful with him, and he can't play (maybe) with such wreckless abandon. Sizemore had the body to run the ball almost 20 times a game, AS A QB (if you wanted to), he could just take it. Estep doesn't have that aspect. This is very interesting to think about though. There's a lot of possibilities. A lot to tinker with as a coaching staff. Do you lose him on the defensive side of the ball, playing him at QB??? Hmm...
He doesnít play defense. Very few play both ways at all, I donít think anyone starts both ways. But he doesnít even get in on D. I donít expect anything to change much next year. Iíd say if anything no one will play boy ways. But thatís just a guess.

But I donít know about him playing QB. If it gives us the best chance to win, then ok! But when you take him out of the backfield you take away a dynamic runner and pass catcher. I guess itís pointless though If the new QB canít get it to him. But with all the success the feeder has had, surely to god their is a great QB on that roster somewhere
Send a private message to Hound05 Add Hound05 to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 09:31 PM
2nd String
Liked 202 Times in 148 Posts
smoke1015 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Hound05 View Post
He doesnít play defense. Very few play both ways at all, I donít think anyone starts both ways. But he doesnít even get in on D. I donít expect anything to change much next year. Iíd say if anything no one will play boy ways. But thatís just a guess.

But I donít know about him playing QB. If it gives us the best chance to win, then ok! But when you take him out of the backfield you take away a dynamic runner and pass catcher. I guess itís pointless though If the new QB canít get it to him. But with all the success the feeder has had, surely to god their is a great QB on that roster somewhere
I could of sworn I saw him playing defense some. He may have just been all over the field on offense so much I just imagined him on D.
Send a private message to smoke1015 Add smoke1015 to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 10:33 PM
Statistician
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
Rip/Spin is on a distinguished road
This is a link of the highest points in Ky. Maybe this will help settle the debate. http://peakbagger.com/peak.aspx?pid=23256
Send a private message to Rip/Spin Add Rip/Spin to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 10:37 PM
Statistician
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
Rip/Spin is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Rip/Spin View Post
This is a link of the highest points in Ky. Maybe this will help settle the debate. http://peakbagger.com/peak.aspx?pid=23256
Crap! That didn't copy correctly!
Kentucky County High Points - Peakbagger.com
Send a private message to Rip/Spin Add Rip/Spin to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 11:23 PM
Outta Space Balla

Liked 1,453 Times in 793 Posts
Panther Thunder will become famous soon enoughPanther Thunder will become famous soon enough
Can we just post a sticky and make the final definition that ďMountainsĒ = WYMT Coverage Area. That is what it is and always had been regardless of geography.
Big Five-0- (12-05-2017), Spud6 (12-03-2017)
Send a private message to Panther Thunder Add Panther Thunder to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 06:23 AM
All BlueGrass Rivals

Originally Posted by Panther Thunder View Post
Can we just post a sticky and make the final definition that ďMountainsĒ = WYMT Coverage Area. That is what it is and always had been regardless of geography.
I can send a picture to prove I'm in the mountains
Old 12-04-2017, 07:01 AM
BGR Staff

Liked 5,874 Times in 3,718 Posts
Granny Bear is a jewel in the roughGranny Bear is a jewel in the roughGranny Bear is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by pjdoug View Post
I don't really know either .lol. but some people will claim an east Kentucky county has mountains and a southeast or south central county doesn't when in reality some of the southern counties have higher peaks. Harlan County has the highest point in the state but their schools are not on the side of the mountain either. Corbin isn't on the highest peak, but I would consider them as much of a mountain team as most in the state .
Dougie, the entire county is mountain chains with a river at the lowest point!!! EVERYTHING in the county has been carved out of the mountains.

The very place where the school sits is smack dab in the middle of what we called Copperhead Holler.

On a different note please don't go all ballistic in here. You guys can discuss whatever and poke fun jabs etc, but don't get serious and don't take it personal!
Old 12-04-2017, 07:35 AM
"Based on a True Story"

Liked 2,046 Times in 1,409 Posts
Pulp Fiction is just really nicePulp Fiction is just really nicePulp Fiction is just really nicePulp Fiction is just really nice
The WYMT coverage map..... this was the most up to date county listing I could find (I made this map). Maybe somebody else with a little bit more knowledge of the WYMT coverage area can correct this.

I don't consider Pulaski County in the 'Mountains'. Somerset to Bowling Green is Central KY.

Attached Images:
File Type: jpg Capture 1.jpg (95.7 KB, 137 views)

2016 Class 4A State Champions!!!!!
JOHNSON CENTRAL GOLDEN EAGLES!!!!!!!!
Send a private message to Pulp Fiction Add Pulp Fiction to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 08:11 AM
Cheerleader
Liked 55 Times in 42 Posts
AnswertheBell is on a distinguished road
Belfry is" King of the Mountains". When another mountain teams beats them we will take a closer look. One bad game and you do not lose the Crown. BELFRY.
Send a private message to AnswertheBell Add AnswertheBell to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 09:32 AM
All BlueGrass Rivals

Liked 491 Times in 311 Posts
BelfryPride is a glorious beacon of lightBelfryPride is a glorious beacon of lightBelfryPride is a glorious beacon of lightBelfryPride is a glorious beacon of lightBelfryPride is a glorious beacon of lightBelfryPride is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via Yahoo to BelfryPride
IMO, since NO ONE in the mountains beat The Pirates this year, then they are still on top. If Corbin had gotten us after Central then it would be Corbin hands down. There may be a new champ in 3A but it wasn't a "Mountain Team", they did beat a mountain team to get that tropy, but it wasn't Belfry.
Send a private message to BelfryPride Add BelfryPride to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 09:47 AM
Head Coach
Liked 101 Times in 75 Posts
cj2561 is on a distinguished road
1. Corbin
2. Belfry
3. Johnson Central
4. Harlan Co.
5. Paintsville
6a. Hazard (they both win a game again each other, the Hazard win was by 12 points 38-26)
6b. Pikeville (they both win a game again each other, the Pikeville win was by 5 points 14-9)
Send a private message to cj2561 Add cj2561 to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 09:53 AM
Head Coach
Liked 101 Times in 75 Posts
cj2561 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by BelfryPride View Post
IMO, since NO ONE in the mountains beat The Pirates this year, then they are still on top. If Corbin had gotten us after Central then it would be Corbin hands down. There may be a new champ in 3A but it wasn't a "Mountain Team", they did beat a mountain team to get that tropy, but it wasn't Belfry.
no mountain team had beat Corbin either. my pick the only game I was looking at was the Louisville Central game. Central beat Belfry 60-21, Corbin beat Central 21-20. both of these game was at Central. I put Johnson Central 3rd.
Send a private message to cj2561 Add cj2561 to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 09:57 AM
Statistician
Liked 43 Times in 33 Posts
AngryMob is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by cj2561 View Post
no mountain team had beat Corbin either. my pick the only game I was looking at was the Louisville Central game. Central beat Belfry 60-21, Corbin beat Central 21-20. both of these game was at Central. I put Johnson Central 3rd.
central beat 'belfry'
several injuries we will never know........ dont underestimate the impact of LEADERSHIP
Send a private message to AngryMob Add AngryMob to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 10:00 AM
Statistician
Liked 43 Times in 33 Posts
AngryMob is on a distinguished road
with that said it is a kingless mountain for 2017
Send a private message to AngryMob Add AngryMob to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 10:25 AM
Statistician
Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts
HOFER is on a distinguished road
Estep, in my opinion, throws the ball better than Sizemore. He won't be the bruising runner, but dear Lord he's fast and athletic. His arm probably has 20+ more yards on it than Sizemore's. He's not quite as accurate yet, but way stronger arm. It will be a totally different offense to have to defend... I think a tougher offense to defend.

You can add a lot more option stuff, IMO, with Estep. This could open up so much more stuff. But you do have to be more careful with him, and he can't play (maybe) with such wreckless abandon. Sizemore had the body to run the ball almost 20 times a game, AS A QB (if you wanted to), he could just take it. Estep doesn't have that aspect. This is very interesting to think about though. There's a lot of possibilities. A lot to tinker with as a coaching staff. Do you lose him on the defensive side of the ball, playing him at QB??? Hmm...
He didn't play any defense this year. And yea he has a rocket arm obviously since he's already signed to play baseball at UK. But as far as I know he hasn't played any qb in a few years. I wouldn't want to throw him in there and set him up for failure. You're right about running the ball, Sizemore could take a lick with that body. I'd hate to see Chase get thrown in there and get injured considering he has a real bright future on the baseball diamond.
Send a private message to HOFER Add HOFER to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 10:43 AM
All BlueGrass Rivals

BelfryPride is a glorious beacon of lightBelfryPride is a glorious beacon of lightBelfryPride is a glorious beacon of lightBelfryPride is a glorious beacon of lightBelfryPride is a glorious beacon of lightBelfryPride is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by cj2561 View Post
Right but you still don't see the point I made. Belfry didn't lose to a mountain team, so if Belfry was "King of the Mountain" and another mountain team never knocked them off, then how can it change?

Again if Corbin had beaten us out of the playoffs, then they would get that imaginary title. So, to your logic, Central beat Belfry, and Corbin beat Central so it's yours by default???
Send a private message to BelfryPride Add BelfryPride to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 11:19 AM

Liked 845 Times in 668 Posts
Spud6 is a jewel in the roughSpud6 is a jewel in the roughSpud6 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Pulp Fiction View Post
The WYMT coverage map..... this was the most up to date county listing I could find (I made this map). Maybe somebody else with a little bit more knowledge of the WYMT coverage area can correct this.

I don't consider Pulaski County in the 'Mountains'. Somerset to Bowling Green is Central KY.

Lawrence County needs to be highlighted but other than that. Thank you for doing the research!
Old 12-04-2017, 11:46 AM
Starter
Liked 89 Times in 80 Posts
hoghead is on a distinguished road
1. Corbin
2. Johnson Central
3. Harlan County
4, Belfry
5. Pikeville
6. Hazard
Overall it down> Good Luck next year to all schools
Send a private message to hoghead Add hoghead to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 01:07 PM
All BlueGrass Rivals

Liked 1,135 Times in 774 Posts
Westside is on a distinguished road
LOL!!!! I disagree. The only reason Corbin didn't get a shot at Belfry was because Belfry got spanked by Central before Corbin got their chance. Corbin then went on to beat Central. Why should Corbin be penalized because Belfry couldn't get the job done. Everyone had been pointing to that potential matchup for a year. Belfry dropped the ball literally not Corbin.
Hatz (12-04-2017)
Send a private message to Westside Add Westside to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 01:41 PM
All BlueGrass Rivals

Originally Posted by Westside View Post
LOL!!!! I disagree. The only reason Corbin didn't get a shot at Belfry was because Belfry got spanked by Central before Corbin got their chance. Corbin then went on to beat Central. Why should Corbin be penalized because Belfry couldn't get the job done. Everyone had been pointing to that potential matchup for a year. Belfry dropped the ball literally not Corbin.

Well, this imaginary title still resides in Belfry because no one from the mountains beat them plain and simple. You can't have an imaginary title by default.

Also, You're not getting on my nerves by trashing Belfry either This thread is absurd anyway... lol. There's no trophy for ghost titles. Should have beaten Boyle...you'd have the real thing

Success breeds hatred haha
Old 12-04-2017, 01:46 PM
All BlueGrass Rivals

Well, this imaginary title still resides in Belfry because no one from the mountains beat them plain and simple. You can't have an imaginary title by default.

Also, You're not getting on my nerves by trashing Belfry either This thread is absurd anyway... lol. There's no trophy for ghost titles. Should have beaten Boyle...you'd have the real thing

. . . .

LOL!! It's an absurd thread, yet you took the time to comment more than once.

Send a private message to Westside Add Westside to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 01:48 PM
All BlueGrass Rivals

BTW this thread has had well over 1000 views in just 24 hours. Maybe not very many people share your OPINION.

Old 12-04-2017, 07:49 PM
All BlueGrass Rivals

Right but you still don't see the point I made. Belfry didn't lose to a mountain team, so if Belfry was "King of the Mountain" and another mountain team never knocked them off, then how can it change?

Again if Corbin had beaten us out of the playoffs, then they would get that imaginary title. So, to your logic, Central beat Belfry, and Corbin beat Central so it's yours by default???
if you listened to Corbin beat Central on the radio you are not the king of the mountain. You know that .
Old 12-04-2017, 07:57 PM
All BlueGrass Rivals

Originally Posted by Granny Bear View Post
Dougie, the entire county is mountain chains with a river at the lowest point!!! EVERYTHING in the county has been carved out of the mountains.

The very place where the school sits is smack dab in the middle of what we called Copperhead Holler.

On a different note please don't go all ballistic in here. You guys can discuss whatever and poke fun jabs etc, but don't get serious and don't take it personal!
I know all about the geography of Harlan County and Kentucky, and I'm in a "holler" myself. Whitley County High School is a mountain school , but I don't have to rappel down to the stadium . I hope you don't think I'm taking anything personal on here. lol... I think it really is hard to tell if some teams are mountain teams or not . I think Wayne County is more of a mountain team than Pulaski, but they are not in the coverage area are they ?
Old 12-04-2017, 08:05 PM
All BlueGrass Rivals

Originally Posted by Spud6 View Post
Lawrence County needs to be highlighted but other than that. Thank you for doing the research!
Get your yellow sharpie out and at least color McCreary County in. When I drive from Williamsburg to Pine Knot I have to cross mountains to get to McCreary County. lol
Old 12-04-2017, 08:11 PM
All BlueGrass Rivals

is your alter ego a cardinals fan? lol
Old 12-04-2017, 08:42 PM
Statistician
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Mr cold74 is on a distinguished road
Shouldn't state champs be king of the mountain I mean no one in mountains could beat them

So I say Boyle, FS,B-wood, COV Cath, Danville and Trinity all have claim as king of the Mountain
Send a private message to Mr cold74 Add Mr cold74 to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 09:53 PM
2nd String
Liked 202 Times in 148 Posts
smoke1015 is an unknown quantity at this point

Casey borders a mountain county so we are a borderline mountain team...I know this, we DEFINITELY aren't a city school. Sometimes I feel like it's "us" (mountain teams), agains "them", which by "them" I don't know if it's city schools, or Lexington schools, Northern schools, or what. But if you're in Casey, mostly you just hate every stinken body you play, equally and rarely root on anyone else. The mountainhood thing somewhat reminds me of Kentucky fans that cheer on other good SEC teams, especially Alabama. Lol. And the mountain teams Alabama is Belfry...ha. No offense, just joking around. Seriously the only team I root for besides Casey is Danville. And that's just having worked up there with some former players and growing up going to high-school from 1988 to 1992 and Danville may have been the best school in the entire state. They beat us by 80 once, if I recall. :-(
Send a private message to smoke1015 Add smoke1015 to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 06:09 AM
"Based on a True Story"

Liked 2,046 Times in 1,409 Posts
Pulp Fiction is just really nicePulp Fiction is just really nicePulp Fiction is just really nicePulp Fiction is just really nice

Casey borders a mountain county so we are a borderline mountain team...I know this, we DEFINITELY aren't a city school. Sometimes I feel like it's "us" (mountain teams), agains "them", which by "them" I don't know if it's city schools, or Lexington schools, Northern schools, or what. But if you're in Casey, mostly you just hate every stinken body you play, equally and rarely root on anyone else. The mountainhood thing somewhat reminds me of Kentucky fans that cheer on other good SEC teams, especially Alabama. Lol. And the mountain teams Alabama is Belfry...ha. No offense, just joking around. Seriously the only team I root for besides Casey is Danville. And that's just having worked up there with some former players and growing up going to high-school from 1988 to 1992 and Danville may have been the best school in the entire state. They beat us by 80 once, if I recall. :-(
Casey County may not be a "City school", but they are not even close to being a Mountain team. Pulaski County is in the WYMT coverage area, but that is a stretch. No kidding, Pulaski County must have had somebody on the original WYMT board of directors way back when to get them in the coverage area, cause they are not a mountain county either, Southern Kentucky would be a better way to describe Pulaski County, 'mountains', IMO, isn't accurate.
Laurel County (London) is the Covington to Cincinnati (NKY to Cincy) border from 'the Mountains' to CKY.

From right to left.... East to West, Pulaski County to Warren County is Central Kentucky. Anything West of Warren County is Western Kentucky. East of Pulaski County is Eastern Kentucky.
As far as the North & South counties in CKY go, that depends on who you ask.

2016 Class 4A State Champions!!!!!
JOHNSON CENTRAL GOLDEN EAGLES!!!!!!!!
Send a private message to Pulp Fiction Add Pulp Fiction to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote

BGR-Kentucky High School Sports - BlueGrassRivals » Kentucky High School and Middle School Sports » Football