Rate This Thread - Mills fired at Bell County.

Like this thread? Help the BGR community grow by sharing it with your friends.

Old 12-10-2015, 08:19 PM
Statistician
Liked 40 Times in 28 Posts
Trashtalker is an unknown quantity at this point
Williamsburg coach was called about this job!!! Wayne county coach was called about this job!!! If you ask them they will tell you!!! Mr.Gambrel is going to have to give up his music career at the local pub to find a coach for this mess!
Send a private message to Trashtalker Add Trashtalker to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote

Click Here to become a member and join in on the discussions at BGR. Our membership is always 100% FREE.

Old 12-10-2015, 08:43 PM
2nd String
Liked 181 Times in 140 Posts
Gitback Coach is an unknown quantity at this point
A good head coach is only as good as his assistants, honestly.

If indeed Mills' entire staff has been shown the Exit door on Log Mountain, the job is a total rebuild. One head coaching hire doesn't even come close to covering the job required.

Does Bell have a local/permanent nucleus of knowledgeable, qualified and experienced volunteer/paraprofessional assistant football coaches? If so, and if the new hire finds them compatible, there might be SOME hope.
64black&gold (12-11-2015), Trashtalker (12-12-2015)
Send a private message to Gitback Coach Add Gitback Coach to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 08:48 PM
Asst. Coach

Liked 533 Times in 377 Posts
OldJacket is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Trashtalker View Post
Williamsburg coach was called about this job!!! Wayne county coach was called about this job!!! If you ask them they will tell you!!! Mr.Gambrel is going to have to give up his music career at the local pub to find a coach for this mess!
Never said Jerry Herron was not called, I am saying he is not headed to Bell Co...
Old 12-10-2015, 09:48 PM
Statistician
Liked 31 Times in 22 Posts
Finis is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Gitback Coach View Post

If indeed Mills' entire staff has been shown the Exit door on Log Mountain, the job is a total rebuild. One head coaching hire doesn't even come close to covering the job required.

Does Bell have a local/permanent nucleus of knowledgeable, qualified and experienced volunteer/paraprofessional assistant football coaches? If so, and if the new hire finds them compatible, there might be SOME hope.
They don't have anyone. The people that can and will coach was already doing so at the high school and middle school. With that said who in their right mind will step into this huge smoking pile of dung for $1500 a year??? It is laughable!!!
Send a private message to Finis Add Finis to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 01:53 AM
Statistician
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
Middlesboro is on a distinguished road
If you really want to know. Williamsburg, Wayne Co and North Laurels coaches are Bell Co's main targets. There I said it.
Send a private message to Middlesboro Add Middlesboro to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 06:37 AM
Statistician
Liked 60 Times in 48 Posts
jamesdeane is on a distinguished road
What's fascinating is that just 7 short years ago Bell was winning a state championship.
Send a private message to jamesdeane Add jamesdeane to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 08:24 AM
All BlueGrass Rivals

Liked 2,494 Times in 1,774 Posts
E's Army is on a distinguished road
Herron told them he had no interest.
Send a private message to E's Army Add E's Army to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 08:57 AM
Starter
Liked 439 Times in 321 Posts
Fly Like a Duck is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by jamesdeane View Post
What's fascinating is that just 7 short years ago Bell was winning a state championship.
....and, 17 years before that was their first.

Bell will always be a good job. What it once was? Probably not. After all, it has "county" in its name and extremely rural..ups and downs are givens when those two things are in play.
Send a private message to Fly Like a Duck Add Fly Like a Duck to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 10:36 AM
Water Boy
Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
JohnWayne is on a distinguished road

1st With no open jobs in the Bell co School system if these fired assistants decide to not come back it will be a head coach and no staff. New head coach can't bring any assistants with him.

2nd now you have to hustle to find a coach because who's doing weight lifting and planning since Bell co has no coaches. With the assistance still in place you could have taken your time hiring a coach.

This was not a smart move.
LadyCat Pride (12-12-2015), panther nation (12-11-2015), snapcat91 (12-11-2015), Trashtalker (12-11-2015)
Send a private message to JohnWayne Add JohnWayne to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 12:38 PM
2nd String
Liked 175 Times in 135 Posts
Bobcats 9108 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by JohnWayne View Post
1st With no open jobs in the Bell co School system if these fired assistants decide to not come back it will be a head coach and no staff. New head coach can't bring any assistants with him.

2nd now you have to hustle to find a coach because who's doing weight lifting and planning since Bell co has no coaches. With the assistance still in place you could have taken your time hiring a coach.

Not a well thought out decision. And it hurts no one but the kids.
LadyCat Pride (12-12-2015), snapcat91 (12-11-2015), Trashtalker (12-12-2015)
Send a private message to Bobcats 9108 Add Bobcats 9108 to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 12:52 PM
All American

Liked 1,452 Times in 1,021 Posts
panther nation is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by JohnWayne View Post

Good post hadn't thought about the lifting and no one there to keep an eye on them and help them.

Living The Dream!!
Send a private message to panther nation Add panther nation to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 02:36 PM
Suspended
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
4ThePlayerz is on a distinguished road
I imagine at this point. And especially this time of year. They are pretty much doing all lifting etc......on their own. Isn't like they are clueless about what to do........but I am no sports scientist
Send a private message to 4ThePlayerz Add 4ThePlayerz to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 04:53 PM
Asst. Coach
Liked 603 Times in 386 Posts
walterwhite will become famous soon enough
Somebody approved by the board will be in the weight room if it is being done on school property. Liability issues guarantees that.
Send a private message to walterwhite Add walterwhite to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 04:58 PM
Starter
Liked 439 Times in 321 Posts
Fly Like a Duck is on a distinguished road
It's December 11th....they'll have somebody in place to handle the offseason.

With it being December 11th and all of 3 weeks after their season ending, I'd hope like **** they are getting away from all things football until going back to school in January.
Send a private message to Fly Like a Duck Add Fly Like a Duck to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 09:37 PM
2nd String
To any Bell supporters willing to respond:

I've been away from Bell for a few years, but is Jeff Saylor still involved in the school system? If not, has he retired, moved on or otherwise removed himself from a position of influence?

I've known Jeff since the late-70s and always admired/respected his dedication to the program.
Send a private message to Gitback Coach Add Gitback Coach to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 09:41 PM
Home of the Chicago Cubs!

Liked 1,301 Times in 1,083 Posts
Strikeout King will become famous soon enough
To any Bell supporters willing to respond:

I've been away from Bell for a few years, but is Jeff Saylor still involved in the school system? If not, has he retired, moved on or otherwise removed himself from a position of influence?

I've known Jeff since the late-70s and always admired/respected his dedication to the program.
He's the Estill County Superintendent.
Old 12-11-2015, 09:45 PM
2nd String
Thanks for your quick reply; bummer. Jeff Saylor always impressed me as a very competent and supportive administrator.

He and I were friends long ago. I'll look him up. Meanwhile, I still think Bell can land a proven head coach or a very promising assistant coach looking to make his mark.
Old 12-12-2015, 08:27 PM
Statistician
Liked 107 Times in 73 Posts
LadyCat Pride is on a distinguished road
Coach Herron From Williamsburg has already turned them down, Wayne Counties Coach has turned them down, and A Coach from a Tenn. Heard Fraizer was going to take the Whitley Co. Job. School has turned them down. If they do not find a GOOD REPLACEMENT FOR Mills some of our TOP PLAYERS will be leaving. Most of the players went to Mrs.Gilliam on behalf of Coach Mills and the Assistant Coaches and she told them it wasn't about football wins or loses but about the safety of the Children and basically shot them down. Now for the people that say he didn't care about all his players, hmm then why would the team go and show their support for him? I guess they were forced to do it. Any Way. I just hope whom ever they do get will be for the kids and help them accomplish their goals.
Bobcats 9108 (12-12-2015), Granny Bear (12-12-2015), OldJacket (12-13-2015), snapcat91 (12-12-2015)
Send a private message to LadyCat Pride Add LadyCat Pride to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 09:55 PM
Statistician
Liked 41 Times in 28 Posts
snapcat91 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by LadyCat Pride View Post
Coach Herron From Williamsburg has already turned them down, Wayne Counties Coach has turned them down, and A Coach from a Tenn. Heard Fraizer was going to take the Whitley Co. Job. School has turned them down. If they do not find a GOOD REPLACEMENT FOR Mills some of our TOP PLAYERS will be leaving. Most of the players went to Mrs.Gilliam on behalf of Coach Mills and the Assistant Coaches and she told them it wasn't about football wins or loses but about the safety of the Children and basically shot them down. Now for the people that say he didn't care about all his players, hmm then why would the team go and show their support for him? I guess they were forced to do it. Any Way. I just hope whom ever they do get will be for the kids and help them accomplish their goals.
Well said LadyCat!! I feel the same way. You are correct in the coaches that have declined, but the administration and those on search committee won't admit they've even contacted much less been shot down by them! Lol, what a bunch of clowns we have making the decisions for our kids and football program. The administration thought all the great coaches out there will be knocking the door down for the job. I think they will soon see they are wrong and will regret this bad decision!!! I'm hearing the same about a number of our TOP PLAYERS leaving to get away from all the incompetence in this system. I hope a great coach does come and rescue the program from the bad days ahead. Just don't see it happening!! :
LadyCat Pride (12-12-2015)
Send a private message to snapcat91 Add snapcat91 to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 10:34 PM
Statistician
Liked 107 Times in 73 Posts
LadyCat Pride is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by snapcat91 View Post
Well said LadyCat!! I feel the same way. You are correct in the coaches that have declined, but the administration and those on search committee won't admit they've even contacted much less been shot down by them! Lol, what a bunch of clowns we have making the decisions for our kids and football program. The administration thought all the great coaches out there will be knocking the door down for the job. I think they will soon see they are wrong and will regret this bad decision!!! I'm hearing the same about a number of our TOP PLAYERS leaving to get away from all the incompetence in this system. I hope a great coach does come and rescue the program from the bad days ahead. Just don't see it happening!! :

It suppost to be all about those kids. With no coaching staff present, it is putting them behind because they can not lift and do the conditioning needing to stay in shape on the off season. I have always said it and will always say it Kids need some kind of structure in their life whether it be finding it in sports, or other programs such as the band, and even choir. And something else that bothers me is if this is all about the children's well being while under his supervision then why is it she said he could still be a teacher? I just don't get it. I hope we are wrong about them not finding a good coach for these kids.
Send a private message to LadyCat Pride Add LadyCat Pride to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 10:38 PM
2nd String
Liked 175 Times in 135 Posts
Bobcats 9108 is on a distinguished road
Is there a committee together?
Send a private message to Bobcats 9108 Add Bobcats 9108 to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 12:20 AM
MOD

Liked 7,889 Times in 5,452 Posts
RunItUpTheGut has a spectacular aura aboutRunItUpTheGut has a spectacular aura about
^
It sounds like there is and its a one person committee.
JohnWayne (12-13-2015), snapcat91 (12-13-2015)
Send a private message to RunItUpTheGut Add RunItUpTheGut to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 07:55 AM
Scout Team
Liked 130 Times in 97 Posts
Bobcat4years is an unknown quantity at this point
Yes a committee, Principal Gambrel basketball man and not very good at that.. Pizza man who is to busy laying in tanning bed.. AD- couldn't find a coach at the national coaching convention..
Superintendent that is old and couldn't care less about athletics, shows up to work at 10:00 everyday!!!
Talked with 3 of our assistant coaches yesterday and they are finished coaching. No matter if they hire Nick Saban
Principal Gambrel called Chuck Smith and he said NO WAY!!
That's the latest update on coach...
O one more: was told that Humfleet was headed to Corbin. Great young man and family..
Trashtalker (12-15-2015)
Send a private message to Bobcat4years Add Bobcat4years to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 08:15 PM
Cheerleader
Liked 154 Times in 111 Posts
HAROLD is on a distinguished road
Who is Humfleet?
Send a private message to HAROLD Add HAROLD to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 08:37 PM
2nd String
Liked 350 Times in 186 Posts
cherokee is on a distinguished road
Humfleet, Treyton
13 232 1950 39 150 3.0

played running back and d-back for Bell. Rushed for 1950 yards last year heck of a player and a really good kid.
campbellfield (12-13-2015)
Send a private message to cherokee Add cherokee to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 09:22 PM
Asst. Coach
Liked 94 Times in 58 Posts
Brooks4Prez is on a distinguished road
This is an awful situation from the way everyone hear talks and my guess is it will get much much worse
Send a private message to Brooks4Prez Add Brooks4Prez to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 09:25 PM
All BlueGrass Rivals

Liked 2,942 Times in 2,311 Posts
pjdoug will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Black Bear Fan View Post
if they hire any of the above they really are desperate,and have fallen on hard times. - See more at: http://www.bluegrassrivals.com/forum....zVfh4w17.dpuf

Really PJDoug ?? I hope you're being a little sarcastic. Larkey is still a great coach. His resume speaks for itself. He is a legend in high school football and even better person. I would say if you ask any former or current players, parents, colleagues, etc.. they would all agree. I bet the administration at PCC are very pleased to have him and his current staff. The folks on Log Mountain may have made a mistake letting Mills go, time will tell. Unfortunately, it appears the current student athletes may be facing hard times regardless of whoever they hire as their coach. Good luck to those kids moving forward.
You have a sick obsession with Larkey. He ain't a spring chicken and his coaching days are numbered.
Old 12-13-2015, 09:32 PM
All BlueGrass Rivals

Liked 2,942 Times in 2,311 Posts
pjdoug will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by RunItUpTheGut View Post
^
LIES.
It was a full time grass cutter for winter.

As for getting back on topic, I know what id like to see happen. Hopefully it does.
What?
Old 12-13-2015, 11:37 PM
Cheerleader
Liked 154 Times in 111 Posts
HAROLD is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by cherokee View Post
Humfleet, Treyton
13 232 1950 39 150 3.0

played running back and d-back for Bell. Rushed for 1950 yards last year heck of a player and a really good kid.
Oh, is that the kid who had about 40 touchdowns? How big is he? He's transferring to Corbin?
Send a private message to HAROLD Add HAROLD to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 01:50 AM
Statistician
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mountain Warrior is on a distinguished road
Are they going to be willing to look at any experienced assistants?
Send a private message to Mountain Warrior Add Mountain Warrior to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote

BGR-Kentucky High School Sports - BlueGrassRivals » Kentucky High School and Middle School Sports » Football